Follow

Hope Summers

Character » Hope Summers appears in 1423 issues.

The first mutant born after M-Day, Hope Summers is believed to either be the mutant messiah or the harbinger of death for humanity. She is an Omega-level mutant power manipulator and possesses a connection to the Phoenix Force.

Thoughts on Hope's Fate in Fear Itself?

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RainEffect

So, if you haven't already, I advise you to read both Uncanny X-Men 541 and 542, they are, in my opinion, the only decent Fear Itself reads I've had aside from Black Widow's. 
    If you haven't, stop reading now in fear of spoilers.

So, as we all saw, Hope was really the only person who was able to make an effect on Kuurth. Now, we know that Emma has been afraid of Hope, ever since she saw the Phoenix Force within her during the end of Second Coming. In #542 we see Emma taking a pillow and preparing to, obviously, suffocate Hope whilst she's unconscious. 

She won't be killed, we know that. Hope's a heavily invested property that people are just starting to like, so it would be pointless to kill her off. What I am interested in seeing is if Emma actually tries to suffocate her and sends Hope over the edge again, thereby releasing her power and (possibly) killing Emma. Imagine that?!

What are your thoughts/predictions on what will happen?

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RainEffect

Bump!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

@RainEffect: I've read both of them. Some of my favorite Uncanny issues in a good long while.

I'm actually not sure what'll happen. I have a slight feeling that the PF will momentarily possess her when Emma tries to kill her, but that may not happen. We know that Emma's scared of Hope anyways.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

HOLY CRAP!!!!

NORTH FACE JACKETS!!!!!!!!

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@danhimself said:

HOLY CRAP!!!!

NORTH FACE JACKETS!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By EnSabahNurX

Jean will intervine lmao just because she spontaneously appears and helps emma XD

bu yea hope will wake up just in time and have a mild PF moment or someone like cyclops will stop her

final option, colossus stops juggernaut and that breaks the hold on emma

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Starts a chant; 
    "Kill her. 
    Kill her!
    KILL her!
    KILL HER! 
    KILL HOPE!"

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RainEffect
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Ye be hatin' on Hope, ya scurly dog? 

Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

Hope is the third and final attempt of Marvel to create a Jean Grey who isn't annoying, tiring, irritating and a story-line failure. Plus, after all that shiza that went down during Cable: Homecoming and Second Coming, you've got to admire her resolve.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @RainEffect: Can't stand her. I hate all Jean Greys, because they're just God Mode Sues, and Hope is no exception. I tried liking her for DH's sake, but she's just awful. She's arrogant, boring, overpowered, and a complete brat. She's early-Kara from Supergirl all over again.
    Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Lance Uppercut

I wouldn't mind her death. She's an insipid character anyway. Hell, now they have Scarlet Witch back. She could basically take the place of Hope Summers and no one would notice.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RainEffect
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    @RainEffect: Can't stand her. I hate all Jean Greys, because they're just God Mode Sues, and Hope is no exception. I tried liking her for DH's sake, but she's just awful. She's arrogant, boring, overpowered, and a complete brat. She's early-Kara from Supergirl all over again.
    DH's sake? 

You've got to remember that it's all about he context of how she grew up. Eating rats, constantly being shot at, having an incredibly strict teacher who took about fifteen years to finally hug her. I think her personality has been explored very carefully. For one, there's that scene in Uncanny X-Men #539 where she's being anti-social, sitting in her room and disassembling her firearms, polishing them and putting them back together. That's her background, she doesn't know how to be a normal girl. I've only read Cable:Homecoming, Second Coming and Uncanny X-Men #'s 539, 540, 541 and 542 so I can't speak in an 'overall' sense, but you've got to feel for her character. 

Then again, you're entitled to your opinion and I won't throw Hope propaganda at you to sway your opinion.

'HAIL HOPE!' *HYDRA salute*

...I bet you hate her cause she royally told Cyclops to eff off. *Taps nose* Your secret's safe with me, lad.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @RainEffect: DH = Dark Huntress, my super awesome friend who likes Hope.  

I hate her because of the reasons above, it has nothing to do with Cyclops. 
    RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RainEffect
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Ah. Makes sense now.

Fair enough. I respect someone who stands firm in their opinions.
    Underwaterlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Underwaterlad

I think Hope has come along way since her introduction. Sure, she's not the most original character out there, but it's clear that the X-Men writers are trying to develop her character further. Here's hoping she's be less of a "God Mode Sue" next year.

As for her fate, I honestly feel that the whole Emma Frost possession thing is filler. As fun as it is watching the X-Men try to stop Juggs (again), it hardly makes for four issues. Has it even been explained why going into Juggerkuurth's head made her freak out? Still, it's been a great arc, and certainly my favourite Fear Itself tie-in.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mercy_

@Underwaterlad said:

I think Hope has come along way since her introduction. Sure, she's not the most original character out there, but it's clear that the X-Men writers are trying to develop her character further. Here's hoping she's be less of a "God Mode Sue" next year.

As for her fate, I honestly feel that the whole Emma Frost possession thing is filler. As fun as it is watching the X-Men try to stop Juggs (again), it hardly makes for four issues. Has it even been explained why going into Juggerkuurth's head made her freak out? Still, it's been a great arc, and certainly my favourite Fear Itself tie-in.

Well said.

Underwaterlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Underwaterlad

@The Dark Huntress: Why thankyou!

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By One_Eye

@FadeToBlackBolt: and @RainEffect: As the only tie-in that I've read for Fear Itself and the core -story, I do find this one to actually be decent. I'm not a fan of the character herself but her resolve in Schism as of late has been pretty cool. I do like the idea of her as a legacy character in the vein of Cable. If anything I do respect her being able to put aside her personal feelings towards Scott and acting for the better good cause let's face it; I think that it's pretty clear that not everyone is going to like Scott. I just think that's the character's fate at this point, however, it does make for interesting story-telling. Her power-set does seem rather obtuse to me, the bratty behavior is off putting, and her costume still hasn't caught on with me, though, I feel that there's still a lot to be done with her. She has piqued my interest even if only remotely.

At least the writers didn't do the typical thing and team her up with Wolverine...I may not like Hope but I like to believe that she can do better than joining Logan's ever-growing legion of teenage girls.@_@

Ageofstryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ageofstryfe

I had not read any comics in probably 15 years. Then one day while surfing the net I saw something about the old X-Men animated show that was on when I was a kid and that got me thinking about what was happening in the X-Men world since I stopped buying (which was shortly after AoA). That is when I found out about Hope and her trilogy. I have to say that I really enjoyed all three parts (Messiah War was the best for me because all the characters from my childhood were there) and have been buying comics again and will forever attribute that to everyone's not so favorite messiah. I don't know why everyone hates her so much but I would like to see her stick around. As for my theory on her parentage, I have no idea but like many want her not to be Jean in any way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.