Follow

Hope Summers

Character » Hope Summers appears in 1422 issues.

The first mutant born after M-Day, Hope Summers is believed to either be the mutant messiah or the harbinger of death for humanity. She is an Omega-level mutant power manipulator and possesses a connection to the Phoenix Force.

The Biblical Context behind Marvel's Stories

Avatar image for lord_oraculous016
    lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have been reading Marvel Comics for a long time time now, and i have also read DC Comics from time to time and upon reading them, i have noticed a difference between the two in terms of cosmology. DC likes to attribute most of their cosmology to the Judeo-Christian Religion like characters such as the Presence, Lucifer, Michael, Jesus Christ, Heaven and so forth. Marvel on the other hand tend to be more vague with the description of their cosmology. We rarely see or hear words connected to to the Judeo-Christian religion. They don't use the terms angels, demons, the devil and God in the same way as it is traditionally portrayed.. Even though we all know that the supreme being in Marvel is known as The One Above All, his character is not connected to biblical context as his counter in DC Comics. So does that mean Marvel doesn't use any biblical influence in their stories? Well, in my opinion they have and if you would try to dissect each stories, you will discover some uncanny similarities in some of Marvel's major story arcs and that of the contents of the bible.  

This whole idea hit me upon finishing X-Men: Second Coming which focuses mainly on the return of Hope Summers, the Mutant Messiah. I wondered why would they refer to her as the Messiah. I know she would be the savior of her people and deliver them from darkness, while some thinks of her as the Anti-Christ who will bring about the destruction of everything. Still, many questions keep echoing in my head. Who exactly is Hope Summers? Who chose her to be the Messiah? Most of the logical equation points to a particular red-head mutant who has circled life and death countless times, yes it's Jean Grey. So is she the reincarnation of Jean Grey or her own woman sent by divine intervention to undo the curse of the Scarlet Witch over reality? If Jean Grey really wanted to be reborn, why was it at the same time when all of the mutant race is facing total annihilation? Was this all just coincidence or was it all preordained? So many questions and so little answers. But upon further thinking, i think i figured out the whole scenario. I don't know if this theory is correct but this does makes some sense..  

No Caption Provided
    The whole problem started when the Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch, a woman with a broken mind suffered a nervous breakdown. She blamed mutants for all her burdens and pain. So by just uttering three simple words "NO MORE MUTANTS", she set reality she once warped to give everyone what they wanted back to normal, but also has uninvented an entire race. From millions, mutant numbers dwindled to merely hundreds in a blink of an eye.   

No Caption Provided
    Worse, no mutant births have come since that faithful day. The fate of the mutant race is sealed. Hank McCoy, went on a journey to find a way to undo what the Scarlet Witch did, but failed to find answers either with the help from science or magic nor from other realities and the future. The mutant race is on a dead end.

Then, just when you think all is gone, a light of hope came. A mutant birth like no other. A birth of a child who managed to overload Cerebra and cause a psychic feedback of epic proportions reminiscent to that of the Star of Bethlehem leading them to the child, the first and only mutant to be born after M-Day.

No Caption Provided
    Her birth caused a power struggle between the remaining mutant population as everyone wants to put a claim on her. Some wants her to die for they believe that she is the harbinger of horrific end and others see her as the savior and will unite everyone in peace. For her safety she was sent to the future with Cable until her eventual return for her to play the role destiny has given to her.  

No Caption Provided
    After years with Cable in the future, Hope Summers returned to the present to do her role. Many died from the war including her father-figure Cable. At the last moment, Hope managed to unleash the power hidden deep within her and performed her role as her people's Messiah. After the bloody war, it was revealed the new mutant activity has manifested, signaling the return of her people, ultimately breaking the curse of the Scarlet Witch over her people. 

No Caption Provided
    It seems to be that the Phoenix Force of possibly Jean herself is behind the birth of Hope Summers. but how is that possible? Jean Grey is dead. She has been killed by Xorn disguised as Magneto via planetary scale stroke, though it was later revealed that Jean Grey's death was preordained by the Phoenix Force so that she could be reborn 150 years into the future and ascend as the White Phoenix of the Crown. It is now known that Hope Summers' biological mother is a woman named Louise Spalding, but what has Jean Grey and the Phoenix had to do with her birth? Those were the question plaguing me for a while now. After so much thingking and possible theory, the answer i can think of can be found in probably the most impossible source of inspiration for a Marvel comic book.. yes, the bible itself.. 

How did i come up with that theory you ask? Well let me explain..  

We can associate these characters with some figures and characters mentioned in the bible.  Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch for example can be associated with what the old text refer to as "The Whore of Babylon". According to the Book of Revelations, the "Whore of Babylon" was described as: 

No Caption Provided

"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication"

The Whore of Babylon is associated with the Antichrist and the Beast of Revelation by connection with an equally allegorical kingdom. The Whore's apocalyptic downfall is prophesied to take place in the hands of the beast with seven heads and ten horns. How those this connect with the Scarlet Witch? Well, aside from the obvious similarities between their clothing, we know that Wanda was the source of all the problems. But those these mean that Wanda Maximoff was evil? God, no! But we all know that the source of her powers is something far from being benevolent. According to the old text, the Whore is associated with the Beast and the Devil. Wanda Maximoff has been under demonic influence since her birth. Wanda was born in Mt. Wundagore in Eastern Europe. The very mountain where she was born is also where the essence of the primeval demon, the Elder God Chthon is imprisoned. Chthon blessed the newborn Wanda with a fraction of his unholy might as he seeks to use her as his vessel when the time comes that he can once again manifest his full demonic majesty back on Earth. I was also believed that he and the power that he gave her is what caused the Scarlet Witch's insanity. The Whore of Babylon is also depicted to be riding the Beast of the Sea, a monstrous dragon-like creature with seven heads. This creature is very reminiscent to the Elder God Set who is also known as the Serpent Emperor of the Seas. Set is also mystically connected to the Scarlet Witch by the power of the Serpent Crown which she once wore. According to the ancient texts, the downfall of the Whore of Babylon from the hands of the Beast and the Devil signals the start of the end. Likewise Wanda' nervous breakdown and eventual downfall from grace due to demonic influences is what started everyone's suffering.  

The biblical text also says about a certain woman who will bear the savior. We can associate this figure to no other than Jean Grey. Jean Grey has been revealed to be one with the same being with the Phoenix Force. She is the Phoenix made flesh. Upon her death, she ascended to the White Hot Room which is the center of all creation and where the souls of the unborn and the departed waits for resurrection.. Like wise, the old text talks about a certain woman, described as: 
    No Caption Provided

" And a great sign appeared in heaven: A woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and on her head a crown of twelve stars."

The bible talks of this woman who is clothed with the sun and wearing a crown of twelve stars. This woman is who will give birth to the savior of man. We know that Jean Grey is the Phoenix, and the Phoenix is Jean Grey. Jean as Phoenix is draped with the celestial flame of the Phoenix and after she has ascended, she is now referred to as the White Phoenix of the Crown. The Phoenix is the force behind creation itself. It is also the source of all life in the cosmos and the reservoir of all psionic energy in the multiverse/omniverse. We all know too that it was Jean and the Phoenix who is responsible for the birth of Hope Summers, but how is this possible? Jean is dead. I think the stories for the bible also holds the key into this mystery. 

We know that Hope Summers was born in Alaska and has a biological mother named Louise Spalding. So we wonder how did Jean Grey influence the birth of the messiah.   

No Caption Provided
    The answer probably lies in the story of how the archangel Gabriel visited Mary and told her that she will conceive a child from divine intervention. We can assume that the same thing happened to Louise Spalding. A vision of Jean Grey may have appeared to Louise saying that she will give birth to the savior of this world. Hope mat have been conceived by the power of the Phoenix itself, justifying her connection with it. Jean may have sent her to undo what the Scarlet Witch did and restore the balance and status quo.  

I know that these theories is purely speculation at the moment, but who know. Especially when it comes to the Phoenix, which is most of the time connected to a biblical connotation to some degree. Anyways thank you for letting me share this idea and please feel free to share what you think of it. Thank you very much.. 

^_^
    Supahiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Supahiro

This was awesome. I always thought about the biblical connection to Jean and the Phoenix. You refer to Jean as being dead several times, but Jean was resurrected again in X-Men Phoenix:Endsong. In this mini series, the phoenix came back down to earth and resurrected Jean. the sudden resurrection made Jean go crazy and she of course became the dark Phoenix. The x-men were able to restore Jean's sanity. After stopping a Shi'ar WMD, Jean vanished. She went into the White Hot Room to gather and find the missing pieces of the Phoenix force. Jean also

No Caption Provided
      appeared to Emma in Uncanny X-men.
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Hawk

Hope going to the future to avoid death = Jesus going to Egypt. 

lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lord_oraculous016
    @Hawk said:
    " Hope going to the future to avoid death = Jesus going to Egypt.  "
    yeah.. nice thought.. 
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Caligula

the Bible is such an un-original story that you can find it everywhere. The Bible itself steals from several stories.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By TheCrowbar

Jesus should sue!

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By kuchiku

Wow, nice theory

PhoenixHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PhoenixHell

Wow. You giving me goosey bumps.
    lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lord_oraculous016
    @PhoenixHell said:
    " Wow. You giving me goosey bumps. "
    i'll take that as a compliment.. thanks..  ^_^
    jakeeboi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By jakeeboi17

VERY interesting idea!

Avatar image for mistersarcastic
    mistersarcastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mistersarcastic

This was very intriguing, never even thought about it like that. Nice theorizing! And why must Phoenix wait 150 years into the future to be reborn? That kinda sucks =/

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Hope Summers is referred to as a 'messiah' because that's what she is. The word, sadly, has this automatically religious implication, but it doesn't necessarily imply some sort of religious savior or leader, just a savior.  
    The Phoenix is not just Jean Grey; we've seen it manifest in several other hosts, including her 'daughter', Rachel, who was proven to be a (fairly) proficient user. And no, we don't know that Jean/Phoenix was responsible for Hope's birth. You're jumping to conclusions.
    I'd be more interested in your ideas on Rachel Summers, to be honest.

lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Squares:  

Hope Summers is referred to as a 'messiah' because that's what she is. The word, sadly, has this automatically religious implication, but it doesn't necessarily imply some sort of religious savior or leader, just a savior.    

actually i never said that she is a messiah in the conventional religious context.. what i mean't is that her creation, her birth was probably roughly based on biblical context.. 

The Phoenix is not just Jean Grey; we've seen it manifest in several other hosts, including her 'daughter', Rachel, who was proven to be a (fairly) proficient user. 

the Phoenix Force may have manifested in several other individuals in several other realities, but Jean Grey is the one true possessor and rightful owner of the Phoenix Force as they are one of the same being.. that is why she became the White Phoenix of the Crown which is not an avatar of the Phoenix anymore but rather the force finding its true holder.. that is why Jean Grey is the Phoenix made flesh.. we have seen Jean able to grant and take away the PF from anyone.. 

And no, we don't know that Jean/Phoenix was responsible for Hope's birth. You're jumping to conclusions.     

Jean/Phoenix was clearly behind Hope's birth.. when Hope was born and Cyclops held her, she touched the pendant which contains Scott and Jean's photos, suggestion a possible connection between the two.. then she was revealed to be an avatar of the Phoenix Force which can only be granted nowadays by Jean Grey.. at the end of Second Coming when the kids are in front of the bonfire, Emma Frost saw Hope took the form of Jean Grey and Emma remembered her encounter with Jean during the Sisterhood.. lastly, as seen in Generation Hope, Hope Summers is able to commune with the Phoenix/Jean and Phoenix/Jean is calling her MY CHILD.. those are enough evidences that Jean is indeed was responsible for the birth of Hope Summers.. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_oraculous016:   I know you never outright stated that was the definition you used. I'm not blind, darling. 
    Rightful owner? Wow, so many things wrong with that statement. You can't be the rightful owner of a cosmic entity. Not to mention the fact that Jean has and can exist without the force, and the force can and has existed without Jean. For that matter, if they're the same person, how does Hope also bear the power of Phoenix?
     Children like shiny things- anyone who has even been in the same room as anyone under 4 could tell you that. Infants are especially drawn to sparkly items. And in what specific issue of Generation Hope is Hope seen talking to Jean? Your strongest evidence only proves that Hope is Phoenix, and it would be a bit of a reach to say that the two had ever even met. 'My Child' is a term used when talking to someone significantly younger and of lower rank than one's self, priests and nuns use it all the time. If Hope was her child, she would be called 'my daughter',
    lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Squares:  

I know you never outright stated that was the definition you used. I'm not blind, darling.  
    Rightful owner? Wow, so many things wrong with that statement. You can't be the rightful owner of a cosmic entity. Not to mention the fact that Jean has and can exist without the force, and the force can and has existed without Jean. For that matter, if they're the same person, how does Hope also bear the power of Phoenix?  

well, i'm sorry to say that you lack information between the connection of both Jean Grey and the Phoenix Force.. Death herself said that Jean is the rightful own of the force as mentioned on panel.. 

No Caption Provided
    the Phoenix Force is not a comic entity in the same sense like Eternity or Death, the Phoenix is a force.. this is why unlike other cosmic entities, the PF cannot use a M-Body from the Dimension of Manifestation and must result in possessing someone and thus making them it's avatar.. Jean Grey has been born in flesh and blood as a living organism, but her spirit is most carved from that of the Phoenix.. and in Phoenix Endsong, Jean mentioned to the then PF possessed Emma Frost; "I am you, remember?" and the PF telling Xavier that Jean Grey is the only home that i will live in.. all of this is because, Jean Grey was destined to be the mortal manifestation of the Phoenix Force..  

that is the reason why she is so special.. when Dark Beast experimented on her, he found out that every cell in her body is a source of energy, of cosmic birth.. Jean Grey is the pinnacle of human evolution, who even goes beyond mutation.. it is because, she was destined to become one with the Phoenix Force..  

No Caption Provided
    Hope Summers was the messiah sent by Jean to undo the "curse" of the Scarlet Witch.. before Hope's birth, all the fragments of the Phoenix Force from some of it's remaining possessors such as the Stepford Cuckoos, Korvus and Rachel Summers.. Rachel even said; "Please.. not now.. mom.." suggesting that Jean was behind Hope's birth and granted her the power of the Phoenix, or possible Hope herself is Jean reincarnate.. 

Children like shiny things- anyone who has even been in the same room as anyone under 4 could tell you that. Infants are especially drawn to sparkly items. And in what specific issue of Generation Hope is Hope seen talking to Jean? Your strongest evidence only proves that Hope is Phoenix, and it would be a bit of a reach to say that the two had ever even met. 'My Child' is a term used when talking to someone significantly younger and of lower rank than one's self, priests and nuns use it all the time. If Hope was her child, she would be called 'my daughter',

Hope is not the blood child of Jean Grey, Hope is the daughter of Louise Spalding.. but it is undeniable that Hope has strong connections with Jean grey, regardless of the term used between their conversation.. all things connect to each other..
    BoOMbOoMpOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BoOMbOoMpOw

Interesting :) I never thought of anything like that before !

sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sputnik
    @Caligula: i think you've got it mixed up. the several stories are stealing from the bible.
    Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ashra
    @sputnik said:
    " @Caligula: i think you've got it mixed up. the several stories are stealing from the bible. "
    My sentiments exactly. 
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Kairan1979

If we started quoting Bible, let's not forget that all the children in Cooperstown were clain by Puirifiers - clear reminiscense of Herod the Great and the Massacre of the Innocents.

karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By karrob
    @kuchiku said:
    Wow, nice theory
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Primmaster64

I always seen TOAA as God.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did you link this to Chthon?

lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Squares said:
    Why did you link this to Chthon?
    well, he is the source of Wanda's powers.. and Wanda has a special part in the blog, so i guess Chthon is worth mentioning.. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_oraculous016: Mentioning, yes. You definitely should have mentioned him.
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Wow nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.