New Theory

• 59 results
#1 Edited by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio

Illyana Rasputin and I were talking and a new theory was formulated. 

I'm stating for the record that I HATE this theory, I think it's a badly contrived plot device and I hope to the comic book gods that it's not the direction that they're going in. So, here it is: 

What if Hope isn't related to/ a reincarnation of Jean, but Madelyne instead (with Sinister having his hand in it as well)? If you think about it, it makes sense (at least it does to me). 

• Relationship with Cable - Cable is Maddy's son and is the adoptive father of Hope. 
  • Alaska - Where is Maddy from? Oh yeah, Alaska. 
  • The Marauders - If you've read Messiah CompleX (which I really hope you have, it was amazing. Fantastic art, great story), then you know that the Marauders were present in Alaska. Who's team is that again? Sinister's.
  • Phoenix Force - It seems that if you're a redheaded X-Man, you're going to get the Phoenix Force. Maddy, Jean and Rachel have all wielded it and it is now confirmed (after months of blatant hints) that Hope is. 
  • The End of All - It is said by Bishop, that Hope will be the end of all, the destroyer, the one responsible for what happens to mutant kind (being put in camps). I could see that coming to fruition if Sinister gets his hands on her and she doesn't break free.
Moderator Online
#2 Edited by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done, nice theory. It does make sense but if it is true, I can't say that I will like a lot. Plus we still don't know what Red Queen was.

#3 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even read X-Men and I'm hoping that they don't go in that direction, LOL 

Is it really so hard to just create a completely new, original character, Marvel?

#4 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24: I really really hope that it isn't the direction that they're going in.  

@-Eclipse- said:
"

I don't even read X-Men and I'm hoping that they don't go in that direction, LOL 

Is it really so hard to just create a completely new, original character, Marvel?

"
Exactly!
Moderator Online
#5 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: I hope she is a new character.
#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24
@The Dark Huntress: I hope she is a new character.
Me too.
Moderator Online
#7 Edited by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

" Illyana Rasputin and I were talking and a new theory was formulated. 

I'm stating for the record that I HATE this theory, I think it's a badly contrived plot device and I hope to the comic book gods that it's not the direction that they're going in. So, here it is: 

What if Hope isn't related to/ a reincarnation of Jean, but Madelyne instead (with Sinister having his hand in it as well)? If you think about it, it makes sense (at least it does to me). 

• Relationship with Cable - Cable is Maddy's son and is the adoptive father of Hope. 
  • Alaska - Where is Maddy from? Oh yeah, Alaska. 
  • The Marauders - If you've read Messiah CompleX (which I really hope you have, it was amazing. Fantastic art, great story), then you know that the Marauders were present in Alaska. Who's team is that again? Sinister's.
  • Phoenix Force - It seems that if you're a redheaded X-Man, you're going to get the Phoenix Force. Maddy, Jean and Rachel have all wielded it and it is now confirmed (after months of blatant hints) that Hope is. 
  • The End of All - It is said by Bishop, that Hope will be the end of all, the destroyer. I could see that coming to fruition if Sinister gets his hands on her and she doesn't break free.
"
I agree with this, wholeheartedly.  This definitely seems to be the new, or rather old, direction they are taking with Hope.
#8 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not a bad theory.  It completely makes sense & does seem to be the kind of rubbish that Marvel would pull on a character (lets look what they did to Bishop...). 

Hopefully they wont do it... but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

#9 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18820 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully this doesn't happen, but it's sadly possible.

#10 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio

Who was the writer who created Hope?

#11 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: Not entirely sure. The first issue that she appears in was written by Mike Carey, but I don't know if he's the one who conceived her, per say.  
Moderator Online
#12 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Really though, what would be the point in revealing Hope to be a reincarnated Maddy? It wouldn't accomplish anything. 

My hope (GOD THIS THREAD IS FULL OF UNINTENTIONAL PUNS!) is that they'll hint at this sort of crap forever, until eventually the writer who had the idea leaves the book and it is never referred to again.
#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: I hope (and here we go again) that this is not the direction that they're going in, but as xerox pointed out, it seems like something that Marvel would pull. 
Moderator Online
#14 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Hopefully (AAAARGH! OH GOD!!!) they'll decide to make her an original character, yeah. I'd even be able to cope with her being the time-displaced child of Maddy, or some other typical X-Men origin xP
#15 Posted by thegreatfour (12967 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: you could always say "with a little luck" or "they might"
#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse- said:
" @The Dark Huntress: Hopefully (AAAARGH! OH GOD!!!) they'll decide to make her an original character, yeah. I'd even be able to cope with her being the time-displaced child of Maddy, or some other typical X-Men origin xP "
Ughh no. We have enough time/reality displaced Summers/Grey children. I would very much like her to be an original. 
Moderator Online
#17 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Do you want her to be a reincarnation or a time displaced child? This is the X-Men we're talking about, we only have a few options xD  

Whatever happened to X-Men being called mutants because Stan Lee didn't want to come up with proper origins? Nowadays the X-Men have the most complicated origins ever. 

@thegreatfour: Who says "with a little luck" in real life when you can just say hopefully? :P
#18 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: If I have to choose, I'm going with time-displaced child. But I think the Maddy/Sinister theory is what they're going to do. I hope that it's not though. LMAO. True, true.  

Sighs. I know. 
Moderator Online
#19 Posted by thegreatfour (12967 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: >.>  <.<  >.> um yeah
#20 Posted by -Eclipse- (7507 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: Maybe the genetically displaced child of Maddy and Sinister?! O_O
#21 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Eclipse-: O________________O
Moderator Online
#22 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god I have no interest in Hope. Magneto is still the most interesting character on the roster.  

Lance out

#23 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut
Thank god I have no interest in Hope. Magneto is still the most interesting character on the roster.  

Lance out
Then why are you posting on her forum? :P
Moderator Online
#24 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Lance Uppercut

Lance out
Then why are you posting on her forum? :P "
Letting people know they can still have hope in Magneto. 
#25 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Lance Uppercut

Lance out
Then why are you posting on her forum? :P "
Letting people know they can still have hope in Magneto. 
Aaaasnd here we go with the hope puns again.
Moderator Online
#26 Posted by thegreatfour (12967 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: I hope they stop
#27 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:   
Definition: long  for,  dream  about
Synonyms: anticipateaspireassumeawait ,  be  sure  of,believecherishcontemplate ,  count  on,  deem likely,  depend  on,  desire, expect ,  feel  confident,foresee ,  hang  in,  have  faith, hold ,  keep  fingers crossed,  knock  on  wood,  look  at  sunny  side,  look forward  to, praypresume ,  promise  oneself, rely ,supposesurmisesuspect ,  sweat  it,  sweat  it out, sweat *,  take  heart,  think  to, trust ,  watch for,  wish

E Effectively ended. The line to thank me starts over there.
#28 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lance Uppercut Woohoo!

@thegreatfour LMAO.
Moderator Online
#29 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

These days with Marvel, I'm more surprised when a plot isn't contrived and insulting. So I'll prepare for the worst.

#30 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" These days with Marvel, I'm more surprised when a plot isn't contrived and insulting. So I'll prepare for the worst. "
-__- I know. 
Moderator Online
#31 Posted by superduper13 (66 posts) - - Show Bio

and don't forget that hope's real mom died in a fire, and when maddie was first awoken in sinister's lab she burst aflame (due to the phoenix force) screaming "SCOTT"

#32 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@superduper13: Good point.
Moderator Online
#33 Posted by Gold Dust Boi (516 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to say it but I LOVE Madelyne Pryor and as ridiculous as that Red Queen nonsense was, I can't wait for them to finally bring her back in some big way (and not as a friggin' psychic ghost).   So as much as I want Jean back also I wouldn't hate if Hope was somehow related to Madelyne and Sinister.  I don't think it would be a retread of an old story...making her related to Jean I think will be a retread of an old story...Just throwing my opinions in there :)

#34 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gold Dust Boi said:
" I hate to say it but I LOVE Madelyne Pryor and as ridiculous as that Red Queen nonsense was, I can't wait for them to finally bring her back in some big way (and not as a friggin' psychic ghost).   So as much as I want Jean back also I wouldn't hate if Hope was somehow related to Madelyne and Sinister.  I don't think it would be a retread of an old story...making her related to Jean I think will be a retread of an old story...Just throwing my opinions in there :) "
I don't think it's a retread as much as I think it's lazy writing and a bad plot device. I would like to see Hope as an original character with nothing like ties to Maddy, Sinister or Jean mucking stuff up. 
Moderator Online
#35 Posted by papad1992 (6822 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I "hope" (SORRY) that this whole craze over her isn't a waste of time. 

and 

2. What about that relative she found living in Alaska...?? Her grandma, I think it was!!! What's that about???

#36 Posted by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio

I always expected Cable to be her actual biological father.
#37 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury: If the Alaska/Maddie theory pans out then she's more like Cable's sister... Just as confusing as the whole X-23 scenario; biological sister/age of a daughter ;)
#38 Posted by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Jake Fury: If the Alaska/Maddie theory pans out then she's more like Cable's sister... Just as confusing as the whole X-23 scenario; biological sister/age of a daughter ;) "

Awkward!
#39 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Jake Fury: If the Alaska/Maddie theory pans out then she's more like Cable's sister... Just as confusing as the whole X-23 scenario; biological sister/age of a daughter ;) "

Awkward!
Super awkward. :P
Moderator Online
#40 Posted by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:
like that movie with Heather Graham & Chris Klein.
#41 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury lol. Yup.
Moderator Online
#42 Posted by KumoriKunoichi (588 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel has at most a six degrees of seperation rule with Jean Grey. 
Hope Summers is the adopted daughter of Cable who was the son of Cyclops who Married Madelyne Prior who was a clone of Jean Grey.  
While she is 16, she already got smart and she's kicking butt, something I wish the REAL Jean would have done. Oh don't get me wrong. She kicks butt. But she's freakin mental. 
But that poses the question: if Hope Summers WAS really Jean, and Jean Grey was Cyclops' wife and he slept with her..doesn't that make him a child molestor? Mwahaha. I smell a sequel to my Chris Hansen Fanfic :D

#43 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@KumoriKunoichi: Haha. Great points. 
Moderator Online
#44 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I clicked a link and now I'm here........hi. 

So did this theory get debunked yet? Sounds plausible, but I think it's incorrect. Then again I haven't been following X-Men of late.

#45 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite said:
" I clicked a link and now I'm here........hi.   So did this theory get debunked yet? Sounds plausible, but I think it's incorrect. Then again I haven't been following X-Men of late. "
LOL. Thanks.  

And no, it hasn't. 
Moderator Online
#46 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

It'll be a long time before this theory is confirmed or debunked... but I still like this theory :)

#47 Posted by Squares (4867 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  No. No way in hell is she related to Madelyne. I refuse to accept that as even possible. I'll sooner accept her as the daughter of Xavier and Jean/Rachel than think of her as being related to Maddie.
#48 Posted by Mercy_ (92512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Squares: You have to admit though, it's a plausible theory and makes sense.  

@xerox-kitty: I think it's slightly more refreshing than her being an incarnation of Jean and opens doors to character development if Sinister ever does get his hands on her...but I also feel that it's cliched and I would much rather Hope be her own person with no ties to anybody other than also being a wielder of the Phoenix Force. 
Moderator Online
#49 Posted by DMC (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmmm, never thought of that. It's definitely possible. But I would rather her be a reincarnation of Jean.

#50 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
"I think it's slightly more refreshing than her being an incarnation of Jean and opens doors to character development if Sinister ever does get his hands on her...but I also feel that it's cliched and I would much rather Hope be her own person with no ties to anybody other than also being a wielder of the Phoenix Force.  "
That pretty sums up how I feel about her too.  Capable of so much more... but I can't shake the feeling she'll turn out to be Jean once the writers change or worse yet.... they'll turn her into the next Joseph (another great character who was doomed by bad writing):

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.