Follow

Hope Summers

Character » Hope Summers appears in 1425 issues.

The first mutant born after M-Day, Hope Summers is believed to either be the mutant messiah or the harbinger of death for humanity. She is an Omega-level mutant power manipulator and possesses a connection to the Phoenix Force.

Hope Summers - What a Brat!

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 7

Edited By Gold Dust Boi

The title says it all doesnt it?  Somewhere along the line the fiesty mutant messiah turned into a snotty stuck up little brat!  I dont care what future you were raised in and who did the raising...YOU'RE ON OUR TURF NOW GIRL! First and foremost lets ignore the fact that Cyclops is basically her grandfather and the only real family she has (besides that grandmother of hers that we never hear of), he is also the leader of the free mutant world at this point, in a world where there arent that many mutants left...and she throws a tantrum and threatens to leave with the 5 Lights?  Why not just take her ball and go home? Or hold your breath till you're blue in the face? For someone was raised in several different war-like times, she has a pretty shoddy grip on the current mutant situation if she thinks that just up and bouncing with the new mutants is an appropriate response for her to have if Cyclops won't just let her do what she wants and whenever she wants to.  Oh yeah and about that...Why should she gets to do whatever she wants when even Storm respects the chain of command with Cyclops at the top???  Temperamental and feisty is one thing but this stuck up little brat would have Cable rolling over in his grave if he saw how she was treating and disrespecting Scott.  Of course all this is coming off of my massive disappointment at the end of Second Coming and her failure to be any sort of mutant messiah...the whole Hope Summers scenario has been a big bust in my opinion...so disappointing...

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#1  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

ove never read anything with hope in it so i cant really judge. but i do feel sorry for her. shes lost the only tihng she ever truly had,and scott really isnt the best relativve in the world. but she does need to realise soon that she just cant hold o to these personal grudges in her line of work.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

A teenager being difficult wow that never happens in the real world at all

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @joshmightbe said:
    " A teenager being difficult wow that never happens in the real world at all "
    I totally agree with you...teenagers are notoriously awful in the real world...but even at their most immature Jubilee and Kitty never threatened to just storm out and take a group of people with them...no they bitched and moaned and threw a hissy fit in the blackbird hanger bay and then got over it.  And she has people responsible to her (whether she likes it or not) and to use them as bargaining chips in her pissing contest with Cyclops is NOT how Cable raised her.  He raised her to be mature and professional and get the job done...and then fight about it later on.  What would she do if she left?  A girl who was thrown by the concept of barrettes and hairbrushes isnt really in a position to take care of herself and 5 brand new mutants who thinks they are part of some prophecy...
    Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By FortressoftheMoon

You also forgot that Hope Summers is DC's Damien Wayne. Potentially interesting young characters throw in the love em or hate em split due to their douchebaggery.   

Another example of what happen to kids with powers not getting spanked by a thick leather belt when they were younger to get put in their place.  

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jordama

She has a lot of power, not just because of her mutation, and sway in our time, what she wants will get done. She is simply embraing that. 

When Namor does it he is entitled.
    EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EmmaGrace

@Gold Dust Boi:
    Agreed, and I can't wait until they day when someone decides to bitch slap her back into place. I would love to see how Emma would react if the brat tried that shit with her... :)

sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sputnik
    @EmmaGrace: man, that's something i'd love to see too! emma does not take crap from anyone, especially not from a brat.
    EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EmmaGrace

Exactly! Hmm; diamond punched in the face, or telepathically tortured. Both would be beautiful. :)
    Weapon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Weapon-Alpha
    @EmmaGrace: i just read on hope's page that emma and hope did have a spat because hope walked out of Emma's class and was criticizing how the mutant girls dressed and that cable would have hated emma and stormed out and emma threatened her and hope threatened her back saying she would burn emma to cinder

she is a brat because she was yelling at Prof. X saying that the institute was the wrong thing to do because it separated the mutants from the human population she almost made it sound like he locked the mutants in the school instead of take them in and protect them 
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Kairan1979

Let's not forget how scared Emma was when she saw the shadow of Phoenix (in the scene in Second Coming when Hope activated Five Lights). If Hope uses her full power, Scott will need to look for a new telepath.
     Look at Hope after the Second Coming. Half of X-Men blame her for the death of their friends (totally uncalled for; it's not like Bastion, Master Mold and the others never tried to destroy all the mutants before). Half of them are scared after her display of powers, expecting new Dark Pnoenix or something like this. And the others expect Hope to click her fingers and solve all their problems. And on top of all, she has to take care of five new mutants.
    I feel incredibly sorry for Hope. In many ways she is like John Connor, and we all remember that John wasn't a poster boy.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Shadowdoggy

@Kairan1979:
    I agree with you

she has a huge weight on her shoulders

I'm just looking forward to seeing how her character involves

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

It's called having a personality. Sometimes characters get one.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

She's ungrateful and annoying. But you know, 90% of the X-Men are ungrateful and annoying now. So it's relative.

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @Squares: Yes but you can have a personality without upsetting and disturbing an already tense situation.  Lets not forget that she's the new girl and doesn't have the right to walk around Utopia like she owns it.  Granted she's acting like a normal teenaged girl but normal teenaged girls (even X-girls) don't get to run and lead their own team and she cant have it both ways.  So if she doesn't want people to treat her like the "mutant messiah" then she should stop acting like shes better then everyone else...because she isn't.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mercy_

Just got down with Generation Hope issue 3. The more I read of her, the less I like her, which sucks, because there was a point in time where she was one of my top five favorite characters.

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @The Dark Huntress said:

Just got down with Generation Hope issue 3. The more I read of her, the less I like her, which sucks, because there was a point in time where she was one of my top five favorite characters.

She gotten a little better in the issues after that but not much...but i agree, at one point she was becoming one of my faves but then she grew up and never grew out of that snotty puberty phase. 
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mercy_

Okay. Just read Uncanny X-Men #539, starring Hope. I absolutely loved it.

celestial_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By celestial_man

i refuse to buy generation hope  and i hate  the character anyone  that causes  both  nightcrawler and cable to die will have my infinite scorn.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fodigg

She may have learned military skills, but she's NEVER had to deal with a chain of command. It was always her and Nathan.

Gold Dust Boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gold Dust Boi
    @fodigg: Exactly!  She can be as powerful as she wants and have all the military knowledge that exists, if she doesnt follow any orders and doesn't respect the chain of command then shes no better then one else on that island.
    Avatar image for white_angel_of_death
    White Angel Of Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eurgh she's just as annoying as her fanboys (Yes that's right......she has some already!) And whats also annoying is that people always put her in the summers family category. "oh she's a summers kid, there always powersful!" She was kidnapped as a baby! She is in not blood relation at all to the summers family, only person she had any ties to was cable and now he's dead! Rant over hahahaha

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Daycrawler
    @Gold Dust Boi said:
    @fodigg: Exactly!  She can be as powerful as she wants and have all the military knowledge that exists, if she doesnt follow any orders and doesn't respect the chain of command then shes no better then one else on that island.
    Yeah but that's the whole point! She's been dropped into a situation where there is this rigid chain of command with General Cyclops in charge, a man she holds partly responsible for Cables death. Reckon it would be kind of difficult to immediately step in line  and respect the chain of command when she doesn't respect the leader. She's a fish out of water with the headstrong character of Cable and no immediate continual threat to fight anymore (Bishop). Also, lets be honest, it would be kinda boring if she immediately 'got' everything, followed orders and was all happy and content.  

Hopes basically a regular moody teen that has to contend with people seeing her as a messiah/hating her/avoiding her which would explain why emotions run high when anyone messes with the five lights, not just her team but pretty much her only friends. Add to that her step-mom being killed, chased for the first 17 years of her life through an apocalyptic future by Bishop, returning to the present to find that an insane sentinel wants to kill you, seeing your step-dad killed, being stuck on utopia, etc, then you're lucky that she's only a teen that goes through immature bitchy  spells instead of an insane/psychopathic/post-traumatic wreck. 

Kitty did call Prof X a jerk!  What a bitch!  :P
    Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Daycrawler
    @Weapon-Alpha said:

@EmmaGrace: i just read on hope's page that emma and hope did have a spat because hope walked out of Emma's class and was criticizing how the mutant girls dressed and that cable would have hated emma and stormed out and emma threatened her and hope threatened her back saying she would burn emma to cinder

she is a brat because she was yelling at Prof. X saying that the institute was the wrong thing to do because it separated the mutants from the human population she almost made it sound like he locked the mutants in the school instead of take them in and protect them 

I didn't read it as her yelling at Prof X. Talking, yeah, but not yelling. She had valid points as did the Prof. Think the scene was basically intended to read as Prof X and Magneto having polar opposite views back in the day, but Hope looking at them and perhaps seeing flaws in both (the implication being that means to forge her own way and the old arguments are perhaps not as valid as they once were). Didn't read bitchy to me. Just her questioning and older generations views, which lets face it, pretty much ALL teens do! 

And the burn to a cinder thing. Is this hope talking, or the phoenix or Jean even? Given all these phoenix like flare ups, whose to say that Hopes bitchier moments are actually Hopes thoughts. Could be the influence of the Phoenix (hence Logans wariness of Hope in Uncanny X Men 539).
    One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By One_Eye
    @White Angel Of Death: I agree. I'm not a fan of her, still not certain what powers she possess, and she just generally strikes me as a Jen Grey/  Cable-lite. I'm honestly not interested in her in the slightest bit. Heard the character was actually going through some significant character grown but now she's just all "I Hate Scott Summers." I'll be glad when she's run her course.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#25  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Daycrawler said:
    @Gold Dust Boi said:
    Yeah but that's the whole point! She's been dropped into a situation where there is this rigid chain of command with General Cyclops in charge, a man she holds partly responsible for Cables death. Reckon it would be kind of difficult to immediately step in line  and respect the chain of command when she doesn't respect the leader. She's a fish out of water with the headstrong character of Cable and no immediate continual threat to fight anymore (Bishop). Also, lets be honest, it would be kinda boring if she immediately 'got' everything, followed orders and was all happy and content.   Hopes basically a regular moody teen that has to contend with people seeing her as a messiah/hating her/avoiding her which would explain why emotions run high when anyone messes with the five lights, not just her team but pretty much her only friends. Add to that her step-mom being killed, chased for the first 17 years of her life through an apocalyptic future by Bishop, returning to the present to find that an insane sentinel wants to kill you, seeing your step-dad killed, being stuck on utopia, etc, then you're lucky that she's only a teen that goes through immature bitchy  spells instead of an insane/psychopathic/post-traumatic wreck.  Kitty did call Prof X a jerk!  What a bitch!  :P

agreed......just because she's adjusting to it slower dosnt make her a brat it makes her human
    x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By x_29

Hope is my least favorite x-man. I have not hated a teenage character this much since jason todd as robin.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@x_29:

Hope rules.....i think marvel is still building up her charater.....jean/hope/phoenix connection not over yet

i have big hopes for the future

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#28  Edited By x_29

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@x_29:

Hope rules.....i think marvel is still building up her charater.....jean/hope/phoenix connection not over yet

i have big hopes for the future

Okay, good for you.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By lorex

I would like to see her get some more character development, as she has really not been around very long. What I really do not want to happen would be for her to be made into an Avenger. I hope she continues to forge ties with mutants and the X-Men. I would also like foe there to be more interaction between her and Cable a it seems he is slated to wake soon.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gold_dust_boi: Sorry for the bump, I've been catching up on new mutants and I quite liked hope during and pre-second coming but she absolutely crossed the line when she punched dani(dani monster), I like hope a lot but she just had to cross that line. Again SORRY FOR THE BUMP

ThunderWolf86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gold_dust_boi: Sorry for the bump, I've been catching up on new mutants and I quite liked hope during and pre-second coming but she absolutely crossed the line when she punched dani(dani monster), I like hope a lot but she just had to cross that line. Again SORRY FOR THE BUMP

As much as I love Second Coming, that scene did feel a little forced. almost as if they just wanted to have a random fight scene and that setup was the first idea that came to mind. that said though, Hope did redeem a couple points for me when during that fight I'm pretty sure she bit her.

seriously, how is Hope NOT on people's fav superheroes lists? SHE FRIGGING BIT HER!
    seriously, how is Hope NOT on people's fav superheroes lists? SHE FRIGGING BIT HER!

I'm not mistaken right? that's what this panel was supposed to convey isn't it? I mean, that's just beautiful right there, hilarious and awesome. after that I couldn't care less what the fight was about, just so long as we get this. that's the kinda Hope I know and love, the kind that I personally want to see more of in X-Men books.....but I suppose vampire Jubilee babysitting Eye-boy works too.....I really hate modern X-books.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
    The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderwolf86: gosh the stepford sisters grew up, I literally read uncanny x-men(2013) a week before I started reading generation x I was baffled when I saw them all grown up, I mean cannonball has a baby, Bobby runs AIM god knows what happened to magik, that said I still think it's kinda sad to see our generation of mutants grow up and lead a completely unimaginable path.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.