Hope Summers- Do you know who her parents are ?

#1 Posted by darkxmoon (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I do!! I was talking to a friend about how cool he thought Hope Summers was. A girl born from all this crazy stuff to because this real awesome person.. blaa blaa blaa, the normal stuff. Then he asked that  question that started a debate in our comic book store. I was shocked at all the crap they were guessing. Is this true ? No one knows.. An then I couldn't  handle it any more so I opened my mouth to shut them all up. I explained what happened to her parents.. and what Marvel tried to do.. and even the hints.  I explained why Scott made his remark "her eyes glow like mine".  I explained why she looks like Jean Gray. I explained why Cable/Nathan was a father to her when he couldn't be a father to any of the kids in New Mutants. 

So...are you ready because apparently I'm the only dumb ass thats a huge fan of the Summers family tree and there very, VERY  strange  comic book lines. Hope is the child of Nate Gray and Melody Jacobs. X-Man and Thenody sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes a ring and then a baby  carage. Oh no wait it was just a bit of kissing and a baby...    I think  Melody went to Alaska to look for Nate thats why there child was born there. The reason I say that is because Nate went after Scott and Jean while they were settling down in Alaska.  Nathan/ Cable I think he feels a connection with Hope like a father would with his own daughter. He has no children, he has a step son but Hope is the closest thing he has ever had to a real daughter because tectonically , she is.  

Any thing else ?

#2 Edited by Backflip (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

Although that makes for one hell of a fanfiction. We've already met Hope biological mother, she's called Louise Spalding. Her only appearance is in Uncanny X-Men 526, she was a Firefighter.

#3 Posted by SC (12505 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer the Alaskan firefighter being her mother. Yours is cool too, I like people who appreciate continuity and try and tie it all up, but its already all mishy mashy, I would rather see a turn for simplicity.

#4 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

I still believe that Cable saved her because he had to for the future, not because of som family tie.  

While i like the idea of having her being a child of a regular person, i think it would be interesting if Cyclops lied and that whole family reunion was faked just to get Hope to do what he wanted.
#5 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
Guys it's Sarah Palin, she cloned herself to save Mutantkind!
#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:
" Guys it's Sarah Palin, she cloned herself to save Mutantkind! "
Don't even say it. :P 

@SC said:
" I prefer the Alaskan firefighter being her mother. Yours is cool too, I like people who appreciate continuity and try and tie it all up, but its already all mishy mashy, I would rather see a turn for simplicity. "
This. 
#7 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: You can't deny the similarities!
Hope just appears out of nowhere in Alaska.
Palin just appears out of nowhere in Alaska.
Hope gets an old guy that was loved by many people killed.
Palin gets an old guy that was loved by many people (politically) killed.
Hope annoys me.
Palin annoys me.
Hope has the power to set the world on fire.
Palin--- well thankfully not yet.
#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar: O___O LMFAO!!!!!!!!! You're right. The similarities are uncanny!
#9 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @TheCrowbar: O___O LMFAO!!!!!!!!! You're right. The similarities are uncanny! "

nice
#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @TheCrowbar: O___O LMFAO!!!!!!!!! You're right. The similarities are uncanny! "
nice "
I was hoping that somebody would pick up on that. xD
#11 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:
I find it funny because many people don't actually know the real meaning of uncanny.
#12 Posted by danhimself (22210 posts) - - Show Bio

she's not related to anybody in the X-men....she already met her grandmother

#13 Posted by drphilter (109 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah but I just feel like this can easily be written around. I mean... I haven't read the issues where Hope finds her parents and what not.... she has optic blasts and the Phoenix force and what not... how can she not be bloodlined to the Summers?

#14 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio
@drphilter: Not everybody who has the Phoenix Force is a Grey or Summers descendant, although it is a prevalent theme.  

The optic blast is more than likely her power mimicry. 
#15 Posted by drphilter (109 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @drphilter: Not everybody who has the Phoenix Force is a Grey or Summers descendant, although it is a prevalent theme.   The optic blast is more than likely her power mimicry.  "
Right, well it's not necessarily the individual parts that sell it but the collective that just make me believe that eventually... most likely sooner than later it will be revealed that Hope is tied to the Summers legitimately. I mean the red hair, green eyes, she looks like she could be Rachel's sister... perhaps it's all just a rope a dope but idk.
#16 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to settle this once and for all... I'm Hope's dad. I was in Alaska hunting Russian Moose from my helicopter when I fell off and landed on Sarah Palin. 9 months later... yeah...

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama Base definition was that if something was "uncanny" it had to do with the supernatural. Like most words, it's definition had warped over time.

@TheCrowbar mindblown.

@drphilter I feel like that would be way too obvious.
#18 Posted by Andyboi25 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

My theory is that Jean got pregnant with Scott's baby right before she died.  Somehow, i feel like maybe she transfered the embryo to the lady in Alaska. I mean, look at all the biblical symbolism, Jean's a god, Hope is her daughter sent to save mutant kind. Just saying.
#19 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio
@Andyboi25 Yeah...not buying it.
#20 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

As usual,Hope Summers is another Scott-Jean child and blah blah blah.Just waiting for an another dull writer's explanation.I dont even know why people are asking the question ?her name is SUMMERS,and  when she will be a adult,she's a Jean Grey look-a-like. 

It's a family thing,with her brother Cable taking care of her.At this time,i'm so sick of those writers creating things we already know.If they wanted Jean back,just bring her back Jesus !Why would you put a story like that ?God i hate them!I really miss my comics books from the 80's and 90's.At least plots were originals.Jeez.
#21 Posted by Mercy_ (92256 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheThe said:
" As usual,Hope Summers is another Scott-Jean child and blah blah blah.Just waiting for an another dull writer's explanation.I dont even know why people are asking the question ?her name is SUMMERS,and  when she will be a adult,she's a Jean Grey look-a-like. 

It's a family thing,with her brother Cable taking care of her.At this time,i'm so sick of those writers creating things we already know.If they wanted Jean back,just bring her back Jesus !Why would you put a story like that ?God i hate them!I really miss my comics books from the 80's and 90's.At least plots were originals.Jeez. "
Yeah.........you know that she was adopted by Cable and that her mother is Louise Spalding, right?
#22 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @TheThe said:
" As usual,Hope Summers is another Scott-Jean child and blah blah blah.Just waiting for an another dull writer's explanation.I dont even know why people are asking the question ?her name is SUMMERS,and  when she will be a adult,she's a Jean Grey look-a-like. 

It's a family thing,with her brother Cable taking care of her.At this time,i'm so sick of those writers creating things we already know.If they wanted Jean back,just bring her back Jesus !Why would you put a story like that ?God i hate them!I really miss my comics books from the 80's and 90's.At least plots were originals.Jeez. "
Yeah.........you know that she was adopted by Cable and that her mother is Louise Spalding, right? "
I already know that.But i dont buy it.
#23 Posted by sora_thekey (8150 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" I prefer the Alaskan firefighter being her mother. Yours is cool too, I like people who appreciate continuity and try and tie it all up, but its already all mishy mashy, I would rather see a turn for simplicity. "
Yeah! It makes her her own character. While, yes she has ties to the Summers family (all over) she is her own character. 
BTW her eyes glowed like Scott's because her mutant power is everybody's. She copy/mimic powers from people who are around her.
#24 Posted by Killer_of_trolls (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@jordama Base definition was that if something was "uncanny" it had to do with the supernatural. Like most words, it's definition had warped over time.

most dictionaries get this wrong, it actually the opposite. I'll give you the right one: uncanny is the opposite of fantastic.

OK, now imagine a strange eerie situation or plot, which you don't yet get to know if it is supernatural or realistic yet.

if it turns out to be a regular(real life thing), the it is uncanny.

but if there is a supernatural explination in the end instead, then it is fantastic.

#25 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone at my local comic book store suggested that Hope's phoenix link started from conception the PF overrode her fathers DNA (since that's where the mutant gene comes from) and using the only DNA (Jean's) it had on hand it created hope as a new host.

Thus explaining why and how the two woman look the same.

#26 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crimsonlord53: cool

#27 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: Yeah makes more sense then anything else I,ve read or seen.

#28 Posted by HereBeMonsters (23 posts) - - Show Bio

At least we now know that someone at Marvel has a red-head fetish...

#29 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killer_of_trolls: @Mercy_: @sora_thekey: @HereBeMonsters: @darkxmoon @Crimsonlord53: or what about hope being the mutant messiah like god or goddess mother jean(phoenix) and mortal father scott with the help of surrogate mother louise spaulding

#30 Edited by JakeN7 (9906 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crimsonlord53 said:

Someone at my local comic book store suggested that Hope's phoenix link started from conception the PF overrode her fathers DNA (since that's where the mutant gene comes from) and using the only DNA (Jean's) it had on hand it created hope as a new host.

Thus explaining why and how the two woman look the same.

This I'd buy in an instant. It really is a great modern comics mystery. But I choose to believe this until the canonical explanation is revealed

#31 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkxmoon: idk when is hope's father going to be revealed and i hope her father isnt magneto because we all know magneto's kids are messed up...lol

#32 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

For her to be that damn powerful her dad has to be Chuck Norris, no idea on the mom

#33 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

For her to be that damn powerful her dad has to be Chuck Norris, no idea on the mom

lol and why is it okay for the scarlet witch(created house of m and no more mutants) and hope summers to be all powerful but not okay for jean grey to be that powerful and live?????

and they said louisa spaulding is hope's mom and she has a grandmother but she never told the grandmother that shes' her granddaughter.....also the grandmother told hope that her daughter had alot of boyfriends but noting serious, hmmmm 0.o

#34 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

lol and why is it okay for the scarlet witch(created house of m and no more mutants) and hope summers to be all powerful but not okay for jean grey to be that powerful and live?????

and they said louisa spaulding is hope's mom and she has a grandmother but she never told the grandmother that shes' her granddaughter.....also the grandmother told hope that her daughter had alot of boyfriends but noting serious, hmmmm 0.o

In the long term I will expect both Wanda's and Hope's near omnipotence to be either retconned or outright ignored by future writers. Any character that powerful outside of the cosmic line is pretty much unusable as they make everyone else involved just useless and unnecessary.

Marvel knows that Jean has a lot of fans and they like stringing them along to drum up interest and sell some books when they feel the need. Personally I would like to see her come back as her connection to the Phoenix (but without it) gives an easy out to bring her back without anyone having to call BS.

#35 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

In the long term I will expect both Wanda's and Hope's near omnipotence to be either retconned or outright ignored by future writers. Any character that powerful outside of the cosmic line is pretty much unusable as they make everyone else involved just useless and unnecessary.

Marvel knows that Jean has a lot of fans and they like stringing them along to drum up interest and sell some books when they feel the need. Personally I would like to see her come back as her connection to the Phoenix (but without it) gives an easy out to bring her back without anyone having to call BS.

yup i hope that jean comes back soon......maybe if she does come back no one would know that shes back and she can have a secret identity for awhile and secretly join the avengers and maybe even lead them???

and maybe after shes proves herself as a hero without the phoenix force then she can reveal the truth

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.