Follow

Hope Summers

Character » Hope Summers appears in 1422 issues.

The first mutant born after M-Day, Hope Summers is believed to either be the mutant messiah or the harbinger of death for humanity. She is an Omega-level mutant power manipulator and possesses a connection to the Phoenix Force.

Hope Summers - A blood related descendant of Scott Summers?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

SPOILERS*****************************************

There may be some minor spoilers from Uncanny X-men #544

I know there have been Lots of talk about whether they are related (father/daughter) or possibly a reincarnated Jean Grey. Well according to Mr. Sinister (and the most recent Uncanny X-Men #544), im not sure if he was writing down his speculated ideas or some actually experimental finding through his testing but he claims that Hope is a genetic descendant of Scott Summers and Jean Grey.

No Caption Provided

This actually kind of aggravates me but doesn't surprise me at all. Im just glad she isnt Jean reincarnated. But what of her parents? i thought her genetic mother was Louise Spalding. They have some ideas on the side of the board on how this kind of genetic anomaly could come about.

how doe everyone else feel about this?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DEGRAAF

@fodigg: no it is saying Hope is some how a genetic descendant of Nathan "Cable" Summers and is from this time line rather then the time line of Nathan "X-Man" or Rachel Grey-Summers

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

@DEGRAAF: But is he guessing that or did he conclusively determine that? Sorry the scan is kind of small. And wasn't Hope always from the main Marvel universe?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEGRAAF

@fodigg: you can click on the scan to make it bigger. Also from the story He seems to have done genetic testing of her DNA compared to other Summers members that he had DNA of. As far as i know she has always been part of the main Universe i guess this way the writer was just confirming that.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By jordama

Except,Cable is the one that raised her and the chart is probably just depicting that. Given the fact that it is a dotted line. It also says Non-genetic inheritance.

I see nothing stating that they are biologically related. Unless something was actually said? I haven't read the issue yet.

But then again, it is sinister, he is a little off.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Magian

Didn't thye found her relatives in Alaska or something like this? Plus the line used for Cable and Hope is different than the one used for the rest of the family tree.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By danhimself

@ComicMan24 said:

Didn't thye found her relatives in Alaska or something like this? Plus the line used for Cable and Hope is different than the one used for the rest of the family tree.

exactly...if you look at the lines between the rest of the family tree they're solid meaning direct blood relative....but the line between Cable and Hope is dotted...most likely meaning "adopted"

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Magian

True.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ssejllenrad

Of course she is! That's why her last name is Summers! Nyehehehe!

But seriously now, I bet she'd be really happy to know that her "father" Cable is indeed her ancestor.

@danhimself said:

exactly...if you look at the lines between the rest of the family tree they're solid meaning direct blood relative....but the line between Cable and Hope is dotted...most likely meaning "adopted"

That's the most logical explanation of the dotted line. But in Math, we often use a dotted line to denote something that is a path but with an unkown number of nodes between the two points. Just an insight.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty

It's only a dotted line connecting her & Cable. That's not a genetic lineage, that's just the connection we all know of; the adopted father-daughter relationship. It's likely that at some point they'll make the Summers connection official, but for the time being this isn't any kind of 'official' revelation.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Daycrawler

@xerox_kitty said:

It's only a dotted line connecting her & Cable. That's not a genetic lineage, that's just the connection we all know of; the adopted father-daughter relationship. It's likely that at some point they'll make the Summers connection official, but for the time being this isn't any kind of 'official' revelation.

True, but then why are there three question marks after Hope's name? If Sinister was merely using the dotted line to dentote her unoficial adopted status re: Cable, then why the question marks. Two explanations are - 1) He's heard of the possible 'adoption / surrogate father' relationship but still needs to verify this, or 2) He's well aware of this link but thinks that it may run deeper, to a genetic/clone/etc level. The notes underneath about evolution, cosmic metaphysical transfered genetics, etc lends weight to the latter argument. I find the note on 'M-Day interference' & 'life finds a way' particularly interesting!

In short, the whole thing is meant to be read as one big teaser re: Hope and what looks to be next years big Phoenix event. Given that, I don't think the reader should see the dotted line as only connecting her & Cable as a matter-of-fact 'surrogate father' indicator - both from the point of view of Sinister's thoughts on the matter and Marvel's intention. I feel that Sinister suspects a genetic link between Hope and Cable (or another Summers) - just not in the traditional father-daugther sense.

I find stuff like this really interesting and exciting. I love plot/character clues like this and trying to make sense of them!

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By RainEffect

She had a no-name family. She was able to track them down shortly after Second Coming. Cable was a foster father to her. 

Thank flip she's not related to Scott; there's enough of that family running around.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By XsPectre28

still think that Hope is the 616 version of rachel..... i mean rachel is the only one with no true counter-part in the mainstream.... think bout it rachel come to 616 is responsible for cable becoming cable in first place as well as stryfe & cable finds hope..... rachels true destiny was to make a way for cable, & in turn cable made a way for hope(616 Rachel) now the only thing left unexplained is how....... maybe scott is her father maybe not. or maybe Jean/Phoenix knowing she was about to died and could possible be pregnant found a surrogate or same outcome but the kid was placed after endsong....... so many theories as to what & how...... hoping all will be explained soon

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz

Can we just, IDK, retcon the fck outta hope and pull off an OMD with her? I'd be all for that. Cause everything that involved her towards the end of second coming for me, just made me go: sighhhhhh......really marvel?...... I'm just disappointed at this character. You know I really hate a character when I can't even muster the strenght to just scream: "Fck her" and all I want to do is have Marvel pull an One More day with that character.......That's how badly I want her gone.....................just.....go away hope...........

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By lorex

Correct me if I am wrong but dosent the Summers family hail from Alaska. If the Summers family has been there for several generations she could in fact be a blood relative and no one knows it. Espically after the town whe was born in was burned to the ground by Purifiers which destroyed most of the records there.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Thunderscream

What if she's Vulcan's kid? How long ago was he on Earth? What if he had a little one night stand while he was here?

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By XsPectre28

What If Hope Is The Collective, but the Phoenix/jean took primary control like when the Xorn took control of the collective & sought out Magneto

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DEGRAAF

@danhimself said:

@ComicMan24 said:

No, i think it just means that she is a descendant but not the direct descendant of Nathan "Cable" Summers? Also that line is blue bc this whole thing is about Hope so they just highlighted the basis of the graph.

@ssejllenrad said:

@danhimself said:

That's the most logical explanation of the dotted line. But in Math, we often use a dotted line to denote something that is a path but with an unkown number of nodes between the two points. Just an insight.

Thank you. you stated it much better than i could have.

@XsPectre28 said:

still think that Hope is the 616 version of rachel..... i mean rachel is the only one with no true counter-part in the mainstream.... think bout it rachel come to 616 is responsible for cable becoming cable in first place as well as stryfe & cable finds hope..... rachels true destiny was to make a way for cable, & in turn cable made a way for hope(616 Rachel) now the only thing left unexplained is how....... maybe scott is her father maybe not. or maybe Jean/Phoenix knowing she was about to died and could possible be pregnant found a surrogate or same outcome but the kid was placed after endsong....... so many theories as to what & how...... hoping all will be explained soon

Thats actually not a bad thought (although that would mean she is supposed to be the child of Jean and Scott)

How is Rachel responsible for Nathan becoming cable?

Cable and Stryfe found Hope?

Rachels true destiny was to make way for cable?

@XsPectre28 said:

What If Hope Is The Collective, but the Phoenix/jean took primary control like when the Xorn took control of the collective & sought out Magneto

I always thought that while she might not be the collective, i thought she would end up have the powers and abilities of the collective.

Avatar image for victoriancuckoo
    victoriancuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By victoriancuckoo

I can never figure out the difference between Rachel Grey and Hope Summers

kimeraevet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kimeraevet

Sinister's notes hint at the fact he has no idea who Hope is or how she came to be. He is postulating the possibilities of how her x-gene came into existence. Take for example, how children is put in hypotheses. This is show you, the reader, that while genetically matched to them, Scott and Jean never any actual had children together. All attributed children come from a clone, the future or an alternate reality. While he has Hope down as Cable's daughter it is with a dotted link, which normally symbolizes adoption or inherited through marriage. Same with Alex Summers and The Living Pharaoh; they aren't biological brothers but they share genetic similarities from their bonding.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jordama

@victoriancuckoo said:

Really because I have more difficulty separating Susan (Invisible Woman) And Emma

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By BatteredArmor

@jordama said:

@victoriancuckoo said:

Really because I have more difficulty separating Susan (Invisible Woman) And Emma

........are...are you Namor?

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jordama

@BlackArmor said:

@jordama said:

@victoriancuckoo said:

........are...are you Namor?

Haha funny. I'm actually Aquaman ;P

Avatar image for victoriancuckoo
    victoriancuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By victoriancuckoo
    @BlackArmor hahahaha
    duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By duchess

I'd rather Hope be a relative than a reincarnation.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.