Generation Hope Canceled

  • 64 results
  • 1
  • 2
#51 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9094 posts) - - Show Bio

I was kind of shocked that this title got cancelled. I thought it was doing well. I guess not good enough. I read the first issue of the series and did not love it but I thought that the series had a lot of potential.

#52 Posted by WeaponX619 (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

Not surprised. And frankly, I can't say that I'm overly disappointed. One more thing off my pull list. I just hope that they start developing her into a better personality elsewhere. Gillen did a freaking awesome job writing her in Regenesis and if I'm not mistaken, it was Asmus who wrote her in that issue of Uncanny, which was also a good representation of her.

Hope needs to move past the bratty, self-entitled and criminally careless and reckless attitude in order for her to have any sustainability. And dear god, I will literally burn my comics if they turn her into the next Jean Grey.

Hope is kind of a crappy character. She's the output of "Cable + Jean Grey + Rogue" ability-wise and, as you observed, her personality doesn't exactly endear. I liked her better when she was a non-powered kid. That doesn't speak highly of the character.

She needs:

  • A defined power set instead of an undefined "grab-all" that doesn't even seem to have Rogue's limitations (or Mimic's).
  • A clear personal quest or goal that goes beyond the general "find new mutants" or "save all mutants;" she needs something she's clearly seeking and someone clearly opposing her.
  • A reason for us to like her. Right now she's the personality of Cyclops/Cable without the endearing qualities. And there are many who don't see any endearing qualities in Cyclops or Cable to begin with.

In the best possible outcome, the Phoenix will return along with Jean Grey, Hope will separate Grey from the Phoenix Force, then all the X-Men and Avengers will stop fighting and mother-flipping kill (like, forever kill) the Phoenix Force. The--I dunno--"feedback" from its death will effectively reset Grey and Hope with very basic forms of their original powers and grant them new "secondary mutations" that give them a unique hook (just like Emma Frost's diamond form gave her a unique hook). Then, finally, they will both walk away from the Phoenix forever and become new, more interesting characters.

Good points, she doesn't really have anything to make her stand out or really want to pick up the comic, she's not defined enough for me

#53 Posted by SC (13148 posts) - - Show Bio
@lykopis:  Mmmmmmmmm what you say, that your only been wel.Mhmmmm what what you say, that its all for the best Mmmmmm what you say, that your only Mmmmmhmmmn what you say Hmmmm. Just it Mmmmmmhmmm what you say. 
Moderator
#54 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

didnt like generation hope that much cancel on my friend

#55 Posted by MyraMyraMyra (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. I'm not disappointed. I didn't really read Generation Hope because it never grabbed my interest.

The new characters weren't too bad (loved Oya, but she migrated to another title anyways, and I found Kenji to be delightfully disturbing) but I found the plotlines fantastically uninteresting, and I don't think that Hope Summers herself was fascinating or likable enough to entice me to follow her story. She really doesn't live up to all the hype as a character because her powers, personality, and character design aren't all that original. There really nothing special about her, except her status as the vaguely defined Mutant Messiah, but even as the potential saviour of the mutant race she is yet to live up to my expectations. I generally like the idea of a Mutant Messiah, but so far I don't think that she's generated particularly interesting story arcs in any title. I'm still waiting for Marvel to justify her existence as a character.

All in all, I don't really understand why Marvel chose this book to be mostly about teen romance and other things that seem dreadfully unimportant next to the potential stories that could spring from the concept of a Mutant Messiah / the root of future destruction of the mutant race.

#56 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOptimist said:

So we're down to 37 ongoing Marvel series...

9 X-Men books, 5 Avengers Books, 4 Spidey Books, 3 Cap Books, 3 Ultimate Books, 2 Thors, 2 Hulks, 2 FFs...

7 "others" including: Daredevil, Deadpool, Defenders, Punisher, Iron Man, Thunderbolts and Wolverine

Of all those books, just for fun, 16 were around last January, with the same name and numbering. 18 of the (current) remaining ongoings were launched within the past year. Thunderbolts is now the lowest selling Marvel ongoing title at #97 on the chart, with 21,167 units. Avengers Academy, Hulk, X-Factor and Punisher round out the bottom 5.

Ah I have been looking for such a list, Good Work. Well Avengers Academy should be fine through the end of the year. AvX will bump it sales up enough for survival.

X-Books if u don't count Wolverine and Deadpool make up about 25% of All Marvel Books.

This was inevitable though even the Regenesis tie-in only boosted Gen Hope for one issue. These new mutants were not creative sure a few have potential. Idie and Pixie have potential. Kenji and Martha could make quite an evil power couple and lets face it the franchise needs new villains. The rest can die for all I care. Especially Teon absolutely worthless.

#57 Edited by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

@WarMachineMarkV said:

@Daycrawler said:

@TheOptimist said:

So we're down to 37 ongoing Marvel series...

9 X-Men books, 5 Avengers Books, 4 Spidey Books, 3 Cap Books, 3 Ultimate Books, 2 Thors, 2 Hulks, 2 FFs...

7 "others" including: Daredevil, Deadpool, Defenders, Punisher, Iron Man, Thunderbolts and Wolverine

Of all those books, just for fun, 16 were around last January, with the same name and numbering. 18 of the (current) remaining ongoings were launched within the past year. Thunderbolts is now the lowest selling Marvel ongoing title at #97 on the chart, with 21,167 units. Avengers Academy, Hulk, X-Factor and Punisher round out the bottom 5.

I will actually cry if they cancel X-Factor.

- For all we know all the X-Books get redone again after AvX

- X-Factor has been left alone in its own corner for a long time now, with sales slipping they might decide to blow it, although I really hope not

- I like X-Factor and its a nice change of pace from your standard X-book

I have little doubt that both the Avengers and X-men well get relaunches with a few new number ones to represent their new directions.

Certainly the X-house needs some pruning. AoA is utterly pointless. Give us a new Exiles. Astonishing X-men and Legacy basically do the same thing so if we keep the East vs West divide post AvX then give one book just to the students and the other can focus on the primary Away Team. Xavier should get a book again. New Mutants and X-men are without purpose and need better writing. Oh and Blue Side needs a book to replace Generation Hope, a focus on Dazzler and Students is fine.

#58 Posted by papad1992 (6831 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think they would make a Dazzler and the X-kids series (even though that's what I wanted ever since the cancellation of New X-Men) because: Prodigy, Dust, Pixie, Surge, Loa, the Cuckoos, No-Girl, and Crosta are the only X-kids on Cyclops' side!! Which is the side Dazzler is on!! And the other half (the good half) which has: Anole, Armor, Blindfold, Bling, Cipher, Ernst, Gentle, Glob Herman, Greymalkin, Hellion, Indra, Match, Mercury, Rockslide and Trance!!! I couldn't see it happening!! Dazzler would only take less than half of the kids and mentor them... doesn't seem like it would flow well!!!

#59 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Why god why?!

#60 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7297 posts) - - Show Bio

@papad1992 said:

I don't think they would make a Dazzler and the X-kids series (even though that's what I wanted ever since the cancellation of New X-Men) because: Prodigy, Dust, Pixie, Surge, Loa, the Cuckoos, No-Girl, and Crosta are the only X-kids on Cyclops' side!! Which is the side Dazzler is on!! And the other half (the good half) which has: Anole, Armor, Blindfold, Bling, Cipher, Ernst, Gentle, Glob Herman, Greymalkin, Hellion, Indra, Match, Mercury, Rockslide and Trance!!! I couldn't see it happening!! Dazzler would only take less than half of the kids and mentor them... doesn't seem like it would flow well!!!

It wasn't stated anywhere that she'd do that, and if anything she'd take all of them.

#61 Posted by papad1992 (6831 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

@papad1992 said:

I don't think they would make a Dazzler and the X-kids series (even though that's what I wanted ever since the cancellation of New X-Men) because: Prodigy, Dust, Pixie, Surge, Loa, the Cuckoos, No-Girl, and Crosta are the only X-kids on Cyclops' side!! Which is the side Dazzler is on!! And the other half (the good half) which has: Anole, Armor, Blindfold, Bling, Cipher, Ernst, Gentle, Glob Herman, Greymalkin, Hellion, Indra, Match, Mercury, Rockslide and Trance!!! I couldn't see it happening!! Dazzler would only take less than half of the kids and mentor them... doesn't seem like it would flow well!!!

It wasn't stated anywhere that she'd do that, and if anything she'd take all of them.

It was hinted that she should be a "role model" for the kids (I guess we're going down the X-line, first Rogue, then Kitty, now Dazzler) and if she were to take all the kids... how irrelevant would the school be? UNLESS... Dazzler and the X-kids become neutral in this X-mess and she becomes their field leader and go on small missions to practice and further develop the use of their powers, that would be cool!!!

#62 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1668 posts) - - Show Bio

Good call Marvel, good call. The series didn't start off that great and only got worse as time went on. Hope's character is downright awful. Honeslty, does anyone actually like her at the moment? For me part of it is that shes spoiled, part of it is that she has no reason to be spoiled, part of it's that she's trying way too hard, and part of it is that she thinks she knows more than people who've been around long before she was born and will still be around when she probably (Definitely) dies.

#63 Posted by Onihana (122 posts) - - Show Bio

The problems with Hope is that her personality doesn't reflect a person who grew up on the run and been throw war zones, has seen the future of the bad and good. This is why I think a lot of people hate her and the biggest flaw of Gen X other then bad stories. If they started off Gen Hope with the team semi rebelling, like they are doing now, they could have done a lot more with her and the book.

#64 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

so with Hope gone, that means Thunderbolts, Avengers Academy, Hulk are probably next to go.

i'm not going to have a pull list left at this rate :(

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.