Follow

Hope Summers

Character » Hope Summers appears in 1425 issues.

The first mutant born after M-Day, Hope Summers is believed to either be the mutant messiah or the harbinger of death for humanity. She is an Omega-level mutant power manipulator and possesses a connection to the Phoenix Force.

Generation Hope Canceled

• 64 results
    Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Baddamdog

James Asmus, writer of Generation Hope, has confirmed that Generation Hope will end at issue #17. Here's what he had to say:

Yes, the book is ending with issue #17. I will say (as I did a month ago) that these were the five issues I planned from the beginning. You can read all the old interviews where I promised to get to the betrayal, and I knew I had to do it before "Avengers vs. X-Men." The book was already under 20K copies when I took over, so while I figured there was a chance to tie into "AvX," the way the market and the event developed, a "Generation Hope" tie-in doesn't make sense.
    That said, I have a ton of notes on stories I'd love to do with these kids in the future. So hopefully I'll get that chance. If you're interested, start that letter-writing campaign!
    No Caption Provided

The news of the cancellation comes a day after Moon Knight was announced to be canceled as well a bundle of Marvel cancellations in the last few months, including X-23, Iron Man 2.0, Alpha Flight, Herc, Black Panther plus several mini series.

Is this an example of lack of faith, low sales or to compete with DC's 52 comic schedule?? What does everyone think? Surprised? Sad? Happy?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

Not surprised. And frankly, I can't say that I'm overly disappointed. One more thing off my pull list. I just hope that they start developing her into a better personality elsewhere. Gillen did a freaking awesome job writing her in Regenesis and if I'm not mistaken, it was Asmus who wrote her in that issue of Uncanny, which was also a good representation of her.

Hope needs to move past the bratty, self-entitled and criminally careless and reckless attitude in order for her to have any sustainability. And dear god, I will literally burn my comics if they turn her into the next Jean Grey.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

I think this makes it the second shortest lived X-Men 'next generation' title (after Young X-Men). I lament the U-turn decision to keep alpha Flight as a limited series (instead of transforming it into an ongoing), but I shan't miss this.

Nice cover though.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Baddamdog

@The Dark Huntress: Hmm I feel the same, something big's happening with her in AvX and something with the Phoenix Force, so the next Jean Grey may be round the corner...

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baddamdog

@xerox_kitty: I miss New X-Men. Funny, I was considering making a blog about the state of the X-Men students yesterday, saying how they should be dealing with the students we grew to love in New X-Men rather then send them to the background and just create a bunch of new mutants to eventually just become wallpaper in the future (which WILL happen to the Generation Hope characters except for Hope and Idie).

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

@The Dark Huntress said:

Hope needs to move past the bratty, self-entitled and criminally careless and reckless attitude in order for her to have any sustainability. And dear god, I will literally burn my comics if they turn her into the next Jean Grey.

Totally agreed... well, except for the pyrotechnics ;)

The formula of a x-teen team book doesn't include having their 'leader' turn into a selfish brat.

In those 17 issues, about a 3rd of the issues have been tie-ins to other titles/events. I also find it hard to believe that they planned to end on issue 17. No-one ends on 17! 10, 12, 20, even 25... Not something as random as 17. It smacks of desperation.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

@Baddamdog: I wish I could confidently say "I'm sure they'll appear again soon", but only a select few of the Westchester students seem to get any panel time lately. But, being honest, I don't think it's an easy act to follow up New X-Men. Both Young X-Men and now Gen Hope are the only 2 'next gen' titles to have really failed in the X-Franchise. They're the only 2 'next gen' titles to have appeared after Kyle & Yost's New X-Men... in a way, they've continued to kill the x-youth of tomorrow, since no-one can repeat their success ;)

WildStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By WildStyle

Man, the X kids really can't catch a break. Young X-Men was legitimately bad so I wasn't sad to see it go. However, New X-Men was great. Generation Hope was solid but I'm not upset about the cancellation in the slightest.

Hope we can get a Utopia street team book out of this.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Baddamdog

@WildStyle: yeah where's that 'street team' on Utopia consisting of Dazzler, Lifeguard and Boom-Boom training the X-kids?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By dernman

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! 

DERNRAGE!!!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_

@xerox_kitty said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

The formula of a x-teen team book doesn't include having their 'leader' turn into a selfish brat.

Not even just selfish, but criminally reckless.

In the last arc, she sensed a 'new' mutant on the horizon and was able to pinpoint it after forcibly echoing the powers of the Stepford Cuckoos (she knew they were hiding something from her). So she goes off all gung ho and makes Pixie teleport the team to where she'd sensed the signature...which just so happened to be hostile territory in the Middle East and then ordered Pixie not to port them back, knowing full well how dangerous it was there for them. It was this recklessness that put the lives of her entire team in danger and also resulted in the smashing of No-Girl's glass case. Kenji gave her a body and she's now indebted to him because of it and we all know how stable he is eyeroll.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

So if Generation Hope is about to be canceled, how are they going to replace her series with another series for Cyclops' side in Regenesis?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By John Valentine

They should really cancel New Mutants too.

maikkywin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By maikkywin

Thank god .

Now they can make a Deadpool centered X-man team with moonknight of course !

huehue

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrinceIMC

Wait Hercules is cancelled too? How did I miss that?

kicxka5s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kicxka5s

That sucks, hopefully Marvel will publish "Dazzler and the X-Kids" as a replacement.

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By TheOptimist

So we're down to 37 ongoing Marvel series...

9 X-Men books, 5 Avengers Books, 4 Spidey Books, 3 Cap Books, 3 Ultimate Books, 2 Thors, 2 Hulks, 2 FFs...

7 "others" including: Daredevil, Deadpool, Defenders, Punisher, Iron Man, Thunderbolts and Wolverine

Of all those books, just for fun, 16 were around last January, with the same name and numbering. 18 of the (current) remaining ongoings were launched within the past year. Thunderbolts is now the lowest selling Marvel ongoing title at #97 on the chart, with 21,167 units. Avengers Academy, Hulk, X-Factor and Punisher round out the bottom 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Based on the low sales and the poor quality of the title (IMO) I'm not the slightest bit shocked

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @TheOptimist said:

9 X-Men books, 5 Avengers Books, 4 Spidey Books, 3 Cap Books, 3 Ultimate Books, 2 Thors, 2 Hulks, 2 FFs...

7 "others" including: Daredevil, Deadpool, Defenders, Punisher, Iron Man, Thunderbolts and Wolverine

Of all those books, just for fun, 16 were around last January, with the same name and numbering. 18 of the (current) remaining ongoings were launched within the past year. Thunderbolts is now the lowest selling Marvel ongoing title at #97 on the chart, with 21,167 units. Avengers Academy, Hulk, X-Factor and Punisher round out the bottom 5.

And your name is the Optimist.
    Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daycrawler

@TheOptimist said:

I will actually cry if they cancel X-Factor.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dernman
    @Daycrawler said: 

They just might without Madrox
    Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Daycrawler said:

@TheOptimist said:

- For all we know all the X-Books get redone again after AvX

- X-Factor has been left alone in its own corner for a long time now, with sales slipping they might decide to blow it, although I really hope not

- I like X-Factor and its a nice change of pace from your standard X-book

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23  Edited By TheOptimist

@PrinceIMC: Heh, yes. Yes it is. Marvel has a tendency to drown my positivity, although the optimistic part of my nature is that I keep Hoping (pun intended) and even believing that things will improve.

@Daycrawler: Call me TheOptimist, but I don't see X-Factor getting cancelled. At least not until Peter David decides to move to something else. The sales are consistent, the reviews are solid, the rationale for cancellation just isn't there. The fact that it fills one of the bottom spaces is just good news for everything above it, IMO. Same even with Thunderbolts, which holds similar results. Academy has a pretty solid fan base, Rucka's Punisher is by many hailed as a masterpiece... I think that the bottom has now become the true new bottom, the likes of which will not fall out beneath. Anything that drops below them from this point may be at risk,but I'd say if that if those ones hold to their n consistency, they act as the bar of measurement.

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Daycrawler said:

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Baddamdog

Titles which have always had consistent sales have been said not to be in trouble. Even if the sales are low. This includes X-Factor and The Thunderbolts. Titles which start out high and then drop are usually cancelled, such was the case with X-23 and Moon Knight. Hulk titles are in a constant state of renumbering\relaunching, so I wouldn't be surprised if the current 'Hulk' title starring Red Hulk will get relaunched or just plain out cancelled. Also the only title doing well out of the recent 'Marvel Knight' title revivals (Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, Daredevil and Punisher) is Daredevil. The Nineties are long gone and Punisher really doesn't carry the same heat as it did back in the day. Despite the upcoming crossover with Spider-Man and Daredevil, I predict it won't be long before the Punisher is gone, which is sad because it's one of the only titles out of the Avengers\X-Men\Spider-Man related bracket. I also don't see 'Captain America and...' Series lasting long, fans don't like inconsistent titles, its basically a Captain America Team-Up series, and I really don't see the demand for that. I also think a clean up is needed for the other titles. Avenging Spider-Man is another 'team-up' title which isn't necessary, and although I hate to say it, X-Men and Astonishing X-Men aren't needed and even though I love the characters, New Mutants has dropped in quality since it started it either needs a complete new team and direction or to be cancelled.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dernman
    Am I the only one who is upset that Gen Hope is gone?
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fodigg

@The Dark Huntress said:

Not surprised. And frankly, I can't say that I'm overly disappointed. One more thing off my pull list. I just hope that they start developing her into a better personality elsewhere. Gillen did a freaking awesome job writing her in Regenesis and if I'm not mistaken, it was Asmus who wrote her in that issue of Uncanny, which was also a good representation of her.

Hope is kind of a crappy character. She's the output of "Cable + Jean Grey + Rogue" ability-wise and, as you observed, her personality doesn't exactly endear. I liked her better when she was a non-powered kid. That doesn't speak highly of the character.

She needs:

• A defined power set instead of an undefined "grab-all" that doesn't even seem to have Rogue's limitations (or Mimic's).
    • A clear personal quest or goal that goes beyond the general "find new mutants" or "save all mutants;" she needs something she's clearly seeking and someone clearly opposing her.
    • A reason for us to like her. Right now she's the personality of Cyclops/Cable without the endearing qualities. And there are many who don't see any endearing qualities in Cyclops or Cable to begin with.

In the best possible outcome, the Phoenix will return along with Jean Grey, Hope will separate Grey from the Phoenix Force, then all the X-Men and Avengers will stop fighting and mother-flipping kill (like, forever kill) the Phoenix Force. The--I dunno--"feedback" from its death will effectively reset Grey and Hope with very basic forms of their original powers and grant them new "secondary mutations" that give them a unique hook (just like Emma Frost's diamond form gave her a unique hook). Then, finally, they will both walk away from the Phoenix forever and become new, more interesting characters.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@kicxka5s said:

That sucks, hopefully Marvel will publish "Dazzler and the X-Kids" as a replacement.

This.

Saw this coming right after Sebastian came on, sadly, this series was failing badly right after Regenesis.

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By snyderman567
    Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#30  Edited By Hawkeye446

@TheOptimist said:

Nice numbers, that puts it all in an interesting light.

I didn't dislike Gen Hope, but this is not a shock nor a disappointment.

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#31  Edited By Hawkeye446

I wonder what the trade sales for X-Factor are? Anyone have those stats? Because something tells me they might be higher.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By redhood21

@Daycrawler said:

they cant!!!! im catching up with trades!!!

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By fodigg

@AgeofHurricane said:

@kicxka5s said:

This.

Saw this coming right after Sebastian came on, sadly, this series was failing badly right after Regenesis.

"Dazzler and the X-Kids" would be a great name for a band.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Saren

It started out good and only worsened over time, so I really don't care.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By butterflykyss

@The Dark Huntress said:

I totally agree.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@fodigg said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@kicxka5s said:

This.

No it wouldn't, that would be a crap name for a band.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By fodigg

@AgeofHurricane said:

@fodigg said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

@kicxka5s said:

This.

No it wouldn't, that would be a crap name for a band.

Well, not "Infinite Stairmaster of Doom" good, but good.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@fodigg: LOL.

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daycrawler

@redhood21 said:

@Daycrawler said:

Yeah, me too. Started reading the X-Factor last year and decided to catch up and buy the trades. X-Factor is too awesome to cancel. I can't understand why it doesn't have more readers!

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Daycrawler

@TheOptimist said:

@PrinceIMC: Heh, yes. Yes it is. Marvel has a tendency to drown my positivity, although the optimistic part of my nature is that I keep Hoping (pun intended) and even believing that things will improve.

@Daycrawler: Call me TheOptimist, but I don't see X-Factor getting cancelled. At least not until Peter David decides to move to something else. The sales are consistent, the reviews are solid, the rationale for cancellation just isn't there. The fact that it fills one of the bottom spaces is just good news for everything above it, IMO. Same even with Thunderbolts, which holds similar results. Academy has a pretty solid fan base, Rucka's Punisher is by many hailed as a masterpiece... I think that the bottom has now become the true new bottom, the likes of which will not fall out beneath. Anything that drops below them from this point may be at risk,but I'd say if that if those ones hold to their n consistency, they act as the bar of measurement.

I'm gonna be optimistic too then. The bottom's where it's at!

LadyHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LadyHarley

Hope seems like an alright character when she's not written in Generation Hope. Last issue of Uncanny she made a flirty comment to Namor while in Gen Hope she is not the flirty type. She can be a brat sometimes. I was reading Gen Hope, waiting for that clear defining moment when Hope becomes a character I'll love. That didn't happen. She had her moments when was obviously Cable's "daughter", but Gen Hope really didn't do anything for me.

I would probably read anything with Boom Boom or Dazzler. Tab has always been one of my favourite characters.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42  Edited By SC  Moderator

Awwwh

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#43  Edited By The Impersonator
    No Caption Provided
    Orttodrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Orttodrog

Man this sucks an just as i was really getting back into this, I love Shaw an i hope they keep the team together in other titles an show off all of these characters.

I love the idea that Shaw is now a member of her team an I hope it stays even after the Cancellation

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By redhood21

@Daycrawler said:

@redhood21 said:

@Daycrawler said:

Yeah, me too. Started reading the X-Factor last year and decided to catch up and buy the trades. X-Factor is too awesome to cancel. I can't understand why it doesn't have more readers!

i think it really flies under the radar. i love x-men and i had no idea there was an ongoing x-factor post 90's and i had no idea it was so good. i put the word out to my friends, but i dunno if trade sales will help save the series :(

kicxka5s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kicxka5s

@AgeofHurricane: "you can get with this or you can get with that. you can with this 'cuz this is where it's at!"

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AgeofHurricane

I just lost interest in this series after Idie left, she was the only reason i read it TBH. Hopefully Dazzler and The X-Kids does come into action.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Baddamdog

Imagine if the did introduced a title called 'Dazzler and the X-Kids', that would be so epic

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DEGRAAF

i actually liked this comic. I am glad that is is one less comic i am going to shell money out for but i do think it sucks that you know these characters will most likely disappear. I think most of these characters are rather interesting (besides Teon). I can understand Hope acting the way she does but i know it cant stay that way she will have to die or emotionally mature and change. She seems to becoming more controlling and self righteous.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DEGRAAF

I think Hulk should have been cancelled after he started helping out the Avengers. If they want to give a Hulk a comic that isnt Bruce Banner they should give it to Skaar

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.