Does anyone like Hope?

• 54 results
#1 Edited by poisonfleur (3031 posts) - - Show Bio

I am very curious for how much Hope has been showcased in the X-men, does anyone actually like her?

As discussed before she is a knock off of a knock off of a knock off... Pretty much the 4th generation of Jean-- (Madelyne & Rachel) (Not to mention-- she's dressed like she is bounty hunter from Star Wars...) And IMO the only memorable thing she did was punch the Scarlet Witch in the face.

What's the consensus? Like her? Hate her?

And do you think she will continue to appear in X-books or Avengers books?

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by McKlayn (1076 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont hate her, nor do i think she is a Knock off character, i just think she has a lot of character development now. And she will be in X books i believe

#4 Posted by danhimself (22498 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't not like her

people are to quick to throw around the terms "rip off" and "knock off" too

#5 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3533 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like her, mainly because she is boring and her characterization has been all over the place. I don't think her character brings anything new despite the potential for PIS.

#6 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7282 posts) - - Show Bio

If Dennis Hopeless remains her primary writer for the time being and she's under his sole jurisdiction, then i'll like her again. First issue of CaXF proved that she has the capacity to be more than just an annoying plot-device, i mean, she was still whiney Hope, but it's better than watching her run like an idiot in AvX--what we've been getting for the past year and was unknowingy extremely detrimental to the Hope Summers who was Cable's daughter.

Keep her in CaXF and it'll be good, force her to be an Avenger and we'll be damned.

#7 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14596 posts) - - Show Bio

She's a character I don't mind, but I'm not too crazy about, like Hercules, Thor, or Wonder Woman.

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel writers. That's about it. 

She's a God Mode Sue plot device that is a huge detriment to literally every story she's involved in. 

#9 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't like her at the moment, but thats saying i wont like her in the future is she's written differently and grows up a bit.

i mean right now i just see her as the pinnacle of teenage brattiness. I remember several times she's an outright bitch to Emma or little to no reason, she lords around the other lights because they all seem to suck up to her for the most part (until that arc where the japanese Akira-knock off went crazy or whatever. I kind of skimmed through that story) and her default emotions seem to be either angry or whiny. and i am still not completely sure what exactly her powers apart from being a more confusing version of Rogue's.

Thats not to say that she might develop a bit now that avengers vs x-men is over. I think she could be decent on x-force, especially now that her dad is leading that team. I think her relationship with cable is the only well developed one she has with any character right now so i wouldn't mind seeing more of them together.

Overall i think she does have potential, so i haven't written her off completely yet.

#10 Posted by poisonfleur (3031 posts) - - Show Bio

For the most part you all have fair views of her.

I still can't get over the fact that Hope hasn't brought anything of interest to the table yet has been the center of a lot of X-books. If she becomes a time traveler like Cable & Bishop, I will be fine. IMO, I think her appearance should be kept to more of a minimum. But as stated before, as long as she stays with C&X-F it should be okay. (For a minute there, I thought she was going to join the Avengers.)

#11 Posted by Rickbarry (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually don't mind Hope. She was written well with Cable before and she's going to be with him again. I didn't enjoy the whole Phoenix angle as of late, but that's over with and done.

#12 Posted by dangallant984 (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind Hope as a sidekick to Cable, don't really care for either of them as X-men..

#13 Posted by Veitha (3105 posts) - - Show Bio

@AgeofHurricane said:

If Dennis Hopeless remains her primary writer for the time being and she's under his sole jurisdiction, then i'll like her again. First issue of CaXF proved that she has the capacity to be more than just an annoying plot-device, i mean, she was still whiney Hope, but it's better than watching her run like an idiot in AvX--what we've been getting for the past year and was unknowingy extremely detrimental to the Hope Summers who was Cable's daughter.

Keep her in CaXF and it'll be good, force her to be an Avenger and we'll be damned.

this

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Not particularly no.

#15 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Hope, she is one of the worst x-characters. She is nothing more than a rude, whiney, plot device.

#16 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

It really depends on who is writing her and changes based on appearances so far. Sometimes she comes across as struggling with her difficult life (very reasonable) and other times shes just a whiny brat (annoying as hell). Being at the center of a terribly written event like AvX sure does not help her case, it's hard to like the figurehead of a travesty.

Her best showings are during her "growing up" years on the run with Cable, but her bad showings (AvX, Generation Hope) are all more recent and fresh in readers minds. I think she has potential, remember that people used to call Rachel a Jean rip-off and yet she has developed into her own character and has a significant fanbase. There are a lot of directions they can take her at this point with the Phoenix out of the picture (finally), the question is will Marvel waste her like say the Avengers Arena sacrifices.

#17 Posted by SC (12989 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked her when she was a fish out of water, mini Cable clone who was always on the run, being hunted and finding herself burdening the future of a species on her shoulders. She was tough and stoic and liked guns and lil things like jumping on a bed, flirting and make up brought small joys. Then came a point she just became a deus ex machina device. Ironically she punched Wanda when that character experienced something similar. Hope should have punched her Marvel writers in the face instead.

#18 Edited by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm when she first appeared she had potential, now she's pure yuck.com!

#19 Posted by The_Goddess_of_Chaos (297 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Marvel writers. That's about it.  She's a God Mode Sue plot device that is a huge detriment to literally every story she's involved in. 

this times a million
#20 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Hope because she reminded me of jean and i thought (i guess i was tricked) she was jean grey reborn. Hope can be cool at time though like so uncanny x-men 439:

#21 Posted by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Hope I like her more then Bishop. The "future" X-men, as in what happens in the future always had me confused, so I feel Hope gives the X-men some ground as to whats next.

#22 Posted by slimlim (264 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked kid-Hope.

Teen-Hope, not so much.

I thought her "power" was really lame.... all the suspense and build up, but in the end...pretty much the same as Rogue but without the need for physical contact. *yawn*

As for her character, she has been fairly inconsistent, and lets face it, whiny most of the time.

That being said... theres still hope (heh heh) for her yet. Yes she's a "plot device". But now that said plot has come and gone, there's a chance that she can properly grow as a character.

Look at Layla Miller. While not my favorite character, at least they turned a "plot device" character into a legit one.

#23 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Disliked her for a long time. Especially between Second Coming and AvX, however, I do like the Cable-Hope relationship.

Gillen also wrote a pretty touching issue with her and Wolverine in Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 539.

#24 Posted by chasereis (794 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Rachel, becuase she was the first jean "replacement" and it seemed "fresh" and she was an offspring of Scott and Jean. I did not like Lee, Maddie, Emma or Hope. Jean should have never died in the first place in 137. Shame on you Jim Shooter, look at the titanic mess you signed off on, digressing.

Characters should just be phased out for a while if the they become irrelevant or temporarily unpopular. Then you would not need replacement parts...

#25 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@poisonfleur: in avx 12 hope did say "im no longer the women you knew" like jean did when she first became phoenix(green costume), 1) so i still say hope might be jean because hope can be jean grey's middle name which was never revealed!

2)but then again i am still hoping that hope is scott and jean's kid somehow....lol

#26 Posted by Dernman (14975 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean Grey: Like 
Madelyne Pryor: Dislike
Rachel Grey: Dislike a lot. 
AOA Jean Grey: Uninterested 
Kid Hope: Like a lot.
Teen Hope: Disappointed in Marvel

#27 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

Jean Grey: Like Madelyne Pryor: DislikeRachel Grey: Dislike a lot. AOA Jean Grey: Uninterested Kid Hope: Like a lot.Teen Hope: Disappointed in Marvel

what about karen grant (ultimate x-men)???

#28 Edited by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I liked Hope when she was mini-Cable. I don't like her now that she's a knockoff of a knockoff of a knockoff Jean Grey biting Rogue's mutant power.

i think when hope cured rogue of the strain88, hope mixed in with a portion of the phoenix force altered hope's mutant powers to mimc rogue's power

then again i also believe that "if teen scott and teen jean break up, then get back together, then teen jean gets pregnant but doesnt want to break the time space continuum so they have to put the baby in the past where the scarlett witch's spell is most strongest thrust hope "summers" being hope for the future or the past...lol"

#30 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9011 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her when she is with Cable

#31 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't say I like her, but I don't really dislike her either. She could disappear and I wouldn't bother thinking about what happened to her and I'll leave it at that.

#32 Edited by God_Spawn (37754 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

I liked her when she was a fish out of water, mini Cable clone who was always on the run, being hunted and finding herself burdening the future of a species on her shoulders. She was tough and stoic and liked guns and lil things like jumping on a bed, flirting and make up brought small joys. Then came a point she just became a deus ex machina device.

Once she reached that point, nope.

#33 Posted by Dernman (14975 posts) - - Show Bio
@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@Dernman said:

Jean Grey: Like Madelyne Pryor: DislikeRachel Grey: Dislike a lot. AOA Jean Grey: Uninterested Kid Hope: Like a lot.Teen Hope: Disappointed in Marvel

Weird. Before you asked me I would have said I liked her but now that you ask I have to say I'm not sure. Maybe when she returns which they say she will do soon I'll be able to give you a more sure answer.
#34 Posted by tomchu (522 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't get the point of Hope, I mean, they showed she was important in the whole Messiah Trilogy, but they have never specifically said why. They keep ranting on about how she's gonna "Save the Mutantkind", but as of now, she hasn't really done anything. I personally blame the anti-climaticness of AvX :\

#35 Posted by poisonfleur (3031 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@Dernman said:

Weird. Before you asked me I would have said I liked her but now that you ask I have to say I'm not sure. Maybe when she returns which they say she will do soon I'll be able to give you a more sure answer.

Awwh-- Karen Grant is AWESOME. I thought everything about her was genius. Her re-intro story was Really, Really good.

#36 Posted by Dernman (14975 posts) - - Show Bio
@poisonfleur said:

@Dernman said:

@Dernman said:

Awwh-- Karen Grant is AWESOME. I thought everything about her was genius. Her re-intro story was Really, Really good.

It's been awhile since she last appeared. So I'm not sure how I feel about her. When she comes back or I read the old stories again I'll be reminded.
#37 Posted by Imperfect (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Hope but the only thing I don't like about her is that she joined the Avenger during Avengers vs. X-Men.

#38 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope>Rachel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jean.

#39 Posted by Edamame (28091 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, I do not like Hope Summers at all, but if it weren't for her, then the vast majority of mutants would be dead. She was the only one capable of defeating Bastion in Second Coming.

#40 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2872 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

<-----

does that mean you like hope????? i always thought u didnt

#41 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio
@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

@Mercy_ said:

<-----

does that mean you like hope????? i always thought u didnt

I do.
#42 Posted by Mercy_ (92686 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro
Hope>Rachel>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jean.
I don't know why, but I'm always surprised when I see you say you don't like Jean.
#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91196 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:
I don't know why, but I'm always surprised when I see you say you don't like Jean.
I'm not really a fan of telepaths. I think its a boring ability. I only used to like Emma because she was a stripper with implants who smokes. She was the complete opposite of Jean, but now I find her kind of annoying. 
#44 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

I genuinely liked her during the Cable run and her early days with the X-Men. But she has become such a martyr-in-the-making and that's really put me off her. I understand she's been through a lot but cmon gurl youre like 17 or something. Relax a little! Also I hate using the expression 'mary sue'...but c'mon. She is worse than Jean in that department.

#45 Posted by The Stegman (24048 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I don't HATE her...I just don't particularly care about her, like beets.

#46 Posted by shackle (215 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope's name should be Deus Ex Machina; it would be more honest. She's not a character, she's an instant plot point.

#47 Posted by colleen33408 (9 posts) - - Show Bio
@shackle said:

Hope's name should be Deus Ex Machina; it would be more honest. She's not a character, she's an instant plot point.

Totally agree. But now the plots are over and she seems like surplus. Too bad she didn't die in AvX. I for one, cannot stand her. I'm glad she's at least not the focus of everything any more. I tend not to like iterations of the original. Although she's not related to Jean, physically she's a knockoff and that's enough for me to dislike her.

#48 Posted by Dayvid3 (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Cable, so I love her, she's a chip off the old block. I like their interaction together. She doesn't seem to tow the company line. Self-sufficient, uses weapons. I didn't care for the phoenix thing, and her powers need to really be defined. Personally I don't see her as a jean knockoff, certainly not personality wise, I hate jean.

#49 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike any child that is born in the present then sent to the future to grow up and then magically reappears back in the present. Stop it Marvel please. If you want characters to grow focus on the young Richards, Power Pack, Artie, Leech, and tons of other young characters that you've forgotten about.

#50 Posted by WhineHaus (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Hope.

I've never really been in the X-Men (or Marvel) loop, so I picked up AvX after it was recommended by the guy at my local comic book store. He gave me the nutshell version of Decimation and Messiah Complex as a buffer, but AvX was my first exposure to Hope Summers, and I had to fill in a lot on my own. I didn't think it was that hard, though. I really enjoyed Hope, and the story too.

A problem I have with her, though, is the extreme nature of her power. It's infinite, too infinite I guess. Almost too godlike and powerful. A quality that large can easily overshadow her character, so I'd like to see Hope narrowed a bit more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.