Does Anybody Else Feel She Was Better Written Outside Gen Hope

#1 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

It's terrible to say, but I feel she was only written well in books that WEREN'T her own series. She was great in that issue of Uncanny with Wolverine, pretty awesome in the Negative Zone arc w/ Cap and Namor and Gillen freaking NAILED HER PERFECTLY in Regenesis/Gen Hope #12. Which is frustrating as all hell, considering that the writers of those stories (Gillen and Asmus) were the people writing her own series. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's like there's almost an editorial mandate for Hope to be written terribly in her own book and pretty cool everywhere else.

Can we get Swierczynski back on her, please?

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (91871 posts) - - Show Bio

?

#3 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked her in that one ish with Wolverine, it was pretty great.

#4 Posted by hydrabob--defunct (14833 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read a few issues with her. I didn't really like her in Schism though and that's about the most I've read with her involved.

#5 Posted by WildValentine (289 posts) - - Show Bio

She was far more likeable during Second Coming. I don't know what's happened to her now, it's strange.

#6 Posted by Edenstar (79 posts) - - Show Bio

@WildValentine: Agreed. She was much better during Second Coming. That had the setup for a good character. I think what's happened now is that she's suffering what a lot of other characters who get god-like powers go through. It's sunken into her head and she thinks she knows best. This has happened to Cable and Thor when they got to extreme levels of power.

Originally, I liked her. She was a breath of fresh air. Now, I wanna smack her every time she opens that mouth.

#7 Posted by VioletPhoenix (306 posts) - - Show Bio

YES!! THANK YOUU!! Gen Hope turned her into a self-righteous brat! She was beautifully written in the Cable series, that's the series that made her into one of my favorite characters. That and Second Coming. Hopefully they'll characterize her in a favorable way in AvX and the other titles, it would be a shame to waste such an epic character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.