Do I need to read her Cable adventures?

#1 Edited by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really getting interested in Hope Summers and I'm considering picking up Uncanny X-Men #635 (I think it's called All Hope is Lost), the issue where Wolverine tries to track her down. 
My only concern is, I know next to nothing about her backstory. Is it necessary I read the issues where she bonds with Cable? If so, any particular volumes I need to read? 

I'd love some help. Thanks!

EDIT: I had the issue wrong, it was Uncanny X-Men #539, and it's called Losing Hope.

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92257 posts) - - Show Bio

All Hope Is Lost is the most likable she's been since Second Coming. Get it.

The Cable series is excellent. I'd recommend it to anybody who wants to see her grow into who she's become.

#3 Posted by Renchamp (2271 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd get it anyway just because it's Cable. But also because it is good back story for Hope.

#4 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect

All Hope is lost is a relatively short story and self explanatory... (I think.)  But the series with Hope and Cable really is excellent...
#5 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I'm definitely going to look into the Cable and Hope volumes. 

@The Dark Huntress: Does this mean she's irritating in the team issues such as Uncanny X-Men and New Mutants? I haven't read any with her in it. I was considering getting the Fear Itself tie-in, but then I reminded myself how pathetically bad Fear Itself is.
#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd agree with DH, the Cable series was very good & you got to see her develop as a person & grow into a strong young woman.

However, upon returning from the future & establishing herself in the present day she has been a whiney little selfish brat.  I stopped buying Generation Hope because her characterisation took an intense U-Turn into 'cheerleader with a superiority complex'.

#7 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Cable Volume 3? No, thanks.

#8 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

No. All you need to know is that she goes forward in time then she comes back grown. The end. 

#9 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox_kitty said:

I'd agree with DH, the Cable series was very good & you got to see her develop as a person & grow into a strong young woman.

However, upon returning from the future & establishing herself in the present day she has been a whiney little selfish brat.  I stopped buying Generation Hope because her characterisation took an intense U-Turn into 'cheerleader with a superiority complex'.

Damn! I hate when writers confuse confidence with self-centered behaviour. 

I ended up purchasing Volume 4: Homecoming of Cable's run and, from my first read, I really enjoyed it. Hope is, what, seventeen in the Homecoming arc?
#10 Posted by DEGRAAF (7868 posts) - - Show Bio

I didnt follow her travels with Cable at all and im enjoying her now but i do wnat to go back and read her whole story

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.