Follow

Homosexuality

Concept » Homosexuality appears in 890 issues.

Previously a rarity in comics, modern times have since seen an increase in openly gay characters to reflect a more modern and accurate portrayal of society.

Should comic book hero's be gay?

• 149 results
    ~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#151  Edited By ~The Wanderer~

It reflects reality, so why not? 
    Though I have to say that sexuality (or belonging to a minority at all) should never be a character's defining or primary character trait.  Imagine if there was a character created for the sole reason of being heterosexual...

mice elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By mice elf

I think the very question of whether characters should be gay is in itself a bit of an insult to the gay community. Why use the word should? That implies that if the result of the argument is that they shouldn't, then there would never be any gay comic book characters. And that would be a particularly sad place for the art form to be.

If a creator has a story that involves a gay character then it should be included. I see absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be. And if you are are offended by it by reason of religion then you have a great get-out-clause - DONT BUY IT! You see the beauty is in choice. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I hate reality tv, so I don't watch it. And therefore it doesnt bother me. If gays get you so hot and bothered then avoid the comics with homosexual characters. 

And to address the point about disliking storylines that use gay characters for the sake of it - I agree. It is used as a gimmick, but one that can offend gay people (as well as the up-in-arms homophpbes).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.