Gay superheroes

#1 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

More gay superheroes should be in relationships. Most seem to have taken a vow of celibacy and that sends a negative message. If the comic creators are trying not to take a stand on the issue, the lack of relationships is still a stance. Northstar needs to find a man (same with living lightning and flatman), karma a women. The most GLBT friendly title are aimed for younger kids as is, Young Avengers and Runaways, why not expand to the major titles?
#2 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

What about the pair in the Authority? I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I haven't actually read it myself and can only talk about what I've read elsewhere. Also, in Ultimate X-Men, Colossus got together with Northstar. Batwoman is the current lead in Detective Comics and was shown with a girlfriend apparently. And she's sure to get a permanent love interest, being a member of the Bat family lol.

#3 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

Manhunter had Obsidian in a normal relationship
#4 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

Well i was aiming this more towards the Marvel 616 universe. Ultimate universe has done alot of things that probably never would be done in 616. Also i don't know to much about DC or the other Major comic publishers, i did know of batwoman but had no idea they actually had her in a relationship.
#5 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe it's just that 616 is more... conservative in touchy areas while radical in others?

#6 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman had a relationship up until recently.

#7 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@darth_brendroid: you are talking about Midnighter and Apollo
#8 Edited by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew one of them was Apollo! Just couldn't remember Midnighter - thanks ATL ^^

#9 Posted by drdanny10293 (2434 posts) - - Show Bio

aren't hulkling and wiccan in a relationship?
#10 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@darth_brendroid: Wasn't Batwoman dating The Question? (Current.) 

@drdanny10293: Wiccan & Hulking have one of the cutest relationships in comics. ^_^
#11 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure if Batwoman was dating the Question - she did at one point I think. I haven't read many of Batwoman's issues to be honest, I did have a look at the review posted on the vine for her first Detective issue though.

#12 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Quisling:
They are the cutest thing to hit marvel since spandex made everything all reviely
#13 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio
@darth_brendroid said:
" I'm not sure if Batwoman was dating the Question - she did at one point I think. I haven't read many of Batwoman's issues to be honest, I did have a look at the review posted on the vine for her first Detective issue though. "
She was dating her for a while but Renee moved to L.A. and Batwoman was seen with a couple other girls in Detective Comics.
#14 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

said this before in the umpteen times this topic came up (spengies, is that you?)...
most straight couples that are in mainstream comics, are rarely seen in their relationships, and what we see most of the times of it might as well be celibacy. thats because the books arent about
dating, theyre action/adventure stories about super heroes and villains. want good representation for LGBT characters, take the good representation of them being as much a super heroe or villain as any other and not being singled out. they comic books, not Romance novels, know your medium
and expect from it what it gives.

#15 Posted by Breaker envoy of Setron (1283 posts) - - Show Bio

How is celibacy a negative message? I don't get that part.

Anyway, maybe the writers and artist don't feel comfortable drawing it and writing it. I bet they feel great when it comes to two girls (Perverted b@stards lol) but the other way, well, maybe they dont feel comfortable so they make the heroes take the celibacy path.

#16 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio

Vivisector and Phat had a relationship, then Vivi had a relationship with some actor.

616 universe, but it wasn't widely read, so yeah.

#17 Posted by loveNwar (435 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not really Marvel's job to be a motivation in terms of "right message". In fact, there is no right or wrong message. People are entitled to opinions, Some are gay, some are not. Some don't aprove that, some do. Whatever you carry in your heart is your own judgement and is yours only. Why should Marvel take a side?  In fact, society has shaped the concept along the years: it used to be a CRIME, the it because "just" bad, then merely shamefull, then kind of funny and different, then accepted, today  quite NORMAL (some say it might be enforced upon us, in the future, lol).

#18 Edited by RaDicalCannibal (1053 posts) - - Show Bio

^ Homosexuality will never be forced upon us this ain't Rome, Greece, or Japan!

THIS IS AMERICA!!!!

#19 Posted by loveNwar (435 posts) - - Show Bio

Reaaaally ??? this website accepts people from all over the world.... I'm in Europe, for example. hehehehe.

#20 Posted by loveNwar (435 posts) - - Show Bio
@RaDicalCannibal said:
" THIS IS AMERICA!!!! "
Did you shout in a spartan way, here?
#21 Edited by RaDicalCannibal (1053 posts) - - Show Bio

No, i shouted like an American. ^____^

phunk spartans........they dead now. ROFL

#22 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio
@RaDicalCannibal: LOL, It would've been funny if you shouted about your american citizenship in a foreign accent.

Or would it be fitting?
#23 Edited by RaDicalCannibal (1053 posts) - - Show Bio
@Drafta said:

" @RaDicalCannibal: LOL, It would've been funny if you shouted about your american citizenship in a foreign accent.  Or would it be fitting? "

Yes & no.

Heritage-ly ( lol ) or DNA-ly, yes  biologically is the correct term.........but DNA-ly is much better

I'm most european & latin/black things you can think of

but nationaly I AM AMERICAN MUH F*C*KAS, and my accent IS ORANGE COUNTY-NIAN  with just a dab of Washington D.C & Maryland influence

B*T*Ches
#24 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE:
Well, if you pick up an issue of Uncanny in the past couple of years, there is always a bed scene with Scott and Emma, they apparently don't like to get up and talk, or wear cloths when they talk.
#25 Posted by "Colossus" (4111 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel really needs to stop with this gay Bull***

#26 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@"Colossus":
what do you mean
#27 Posted by Ziro (1352 posts) - - Show Bio

Pied Piper 
The Question 
Batwoman 
(Any other homosexuals from the DC universe?)

#28 Posted by "Colossus" (4111 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama said:
" @"Colossus": what do you mean "
i hate how they made ultimate colossus gay
#29 Posted by Psyron (1512 posts) - - Show Bio

The best pair is still Midnighter and Apollo

#30 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@"Colossus": What's wrong with gay characters?
#31 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@"Colossus":
Slightly awkward cause thats your name... But they do that occasionally, from reality to another, Exiles sunfire was gay with female Spider-man. And in one reality away, reed richards was gay. it was kind of stupid when you here about it.  i don't think they need more gay heroes, just acknowledge they have relationships. the topic seems stupid now because everyone seems to be complaining, i just thought they seem to be alienating gays for no reason.
#32 Posted by Psyron (1512 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @"Colossus": What's wrong with gay characters? "
we have a phobic up in this site

Do they have good gay villains though?
#33 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Psyron said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @"Colossus": What's wrong with gay characters? "
we have a phobic up in this site  Do they have good gay villains though? "
I remember there beeing a major villain that's gay, it's on the tip of my tongue
#34 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth:
thats what he said, sorry couln't help it
#35 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

Well mystique and destiny, and apparently Daken is Bi
#36 Posted by Psyron (1512 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama: Not bi people although any rapist would be cool, just specific gays

like you know Obsidian and Major Force

@geraldthesloth:
Was it DC or Marvel?
#37 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Psyron: DC I believe...it could be the Riddler but I dont think so
#38 Posted by Psyron (1512 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth: I heard from unreliable sources that the Joker might fit the specification
#39 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Psyron: Joker is casually made fun of for things like that there's even a scan I have to prove it

#40 Posted by Psyron (1512 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth: Damn do they have any aggressive gay types though you know like MN and that scan is a good show of classic stereotype, besides joker (he's maybe a bi)
#41 Posted by Ziro (1352 posts) - - Show Bio

?

#42 Posted by justinkos91 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised no one mentioned... 

Been heavily hinted throughout the years...
#43 Posted by Drafta (690 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama said:
" Well mystique and destiny, and apparently Daken is Bi "
Daken doesn't have relationships, does he?  He just uses sex appeal to manipulate people.
#44 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio
@Drafta:

I don't think he is in a reletionship, or has been in a while. i think it is more manipulation than sexual prefence.
#45 Posted by loganreme (1398 posts) - - Show Bio
@jordama said:
"@Drafta: I don't think he is in a reletionship, or has been in a while. i think it is more manipulation than sexual prefence. "

Maybe he's just not picky who he has sex with...male or female... he's just glad he gets any lol
#46 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18848 posts) - - Show Bio

Electro is Bi i think..

#47 Posted by glforthewin (2355 posts) - - Show Bio
@darth_brendroid: the pair in the authority is apollo and midnighter
#48 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" Electro is Bi i think.. "
really?

@glforthewin said:
" @darth_brendroid: the pair in the authority is apollo and midnighter "

Midnighter: the first (and only) gay badass
#49 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18848 posts) - - Show Bio
@Matezoide said:
" @xxCellPhoneGirlxx said:
" Electro is Bi i think.. "
really?

I saw it in a thread somewhere...
#50 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.