Follow

Homosexuality

Concept » Homosexuality appears in 890 issues.

Previously a rarity in comics, modern times have since seen an increase in openly gay characters to reflect a more modern and accurate portrayal of society.

gay not gay who cares....

thanos1970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thanos1970

What are peoples opinions about gay or lesbain heros /villians Is it needed in comics a sales gimmic?? what. I think North Star from alpha flight was the first openly gay hero then there were others the Hulk had a few in there when he was at pantheon... Then batwoman was turned into a lesbian despite her silver age history. In most cases esp Batwoman's it was to grab free press and attention. and in most cases its mention one issue and dropped to never be mentioned again.  anyway I feel its not important and serves no purpose. I dont really care about Northstar or batwomans sexuality. If the stories and book is good i will read it. But in a way comics are ment for kids and maybe this should not be addressed.

Thoughts?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I'm not gay. Sometimes I wish I was then I might enjoy the company of women.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

Sexual orientation is a part of life. If kids can't handle seeing two people of the same sex as a couple (not necessarily any juicy stuff, assumin this is a g-rated comic), then they can't handle real life. We've come to a day and age where it is a lot more acceptable to be public with your love for somebody of the same sex then it was in year past.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Vortex13

Why is being gay not kid friendly? I've never understood this, is it because when you see two women  or two men in a relationship together automatically your mind goes to them having sex? Because that's not how it works for me. If people really are worried about being kid friendly why even address the subject of relationships or sex at all? By the way I could give two s##ts about what is expressed in comic books, film, literature, music whatever, no matter what the topic addressed in any of those mediums is if the parent deems it ill-suited for their kid they can just take it away. I honestly don't see the point of not exposing kids to this subject matter, I'm not talking about sex, I mean hell kids that see a man an woman together do not usually go to the idea of having sex so why should it when its with two same sex people.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't think Batwoman being a lesbian was a gimmick.I think it was more the writers thinking of something to add to her character that others in the Bat family don't have attached to them.Silver Age history in DC means nothing.They will retcon anyone or anything in a moments notice for any stupid reason.I don't care about Batwoman or Northstar's sexuality but the thing is I don't think the writers are trying to throw it in your face nor did they add that to the character to give them some type of appeal.I think it's just one of those things that has to happen.They lack homosexual characters so they make some..that's all.At least that's what I think.I could be wrong.I like Batwoman whether she's lesbian or not but then again even straight relationships don't mean much to me as far as comics go.Actually it seems that homosexual characters have less to deal with when it comes to relationships.With straight comic relationships there's always some unnecessary trials and tribulations or the characters lose something.There's always some nonsense.

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

I really don't care about someone's sexuality since i don't imagine them having sex. And i don't think there is really that much of a difference between a gay hero and a not gay hero other than what a villain says to get a rise out of them.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @thanos1970 said:
     But in a way comics are ment for kids and maybe this should not be addressed.  
    If comic publishers thought like this..they wouldn't sell any comics.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mr Creesy

I would avoid a comic if it focused on a character's gay relationship. That's just me. I think the thought of two men having sex is the grosses thing imaginable. I'm not a gay or lesbian hater. I don't "hate" anyone for that matter. I believe gays and lesbians have rights just like everyone else. I just don't want to read about them in my comics. Sorry in advance if I've offended anyone. That is not my intentions. I'm just stating how I feel on the issue.

Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Vance Astro said:
    With straight comic relationships there's always some unnecessary trials and tribulations or the characters lose something.There's always some nonsense. "
    I agree with this a 100%
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Mr Creesy said:
    " I would avoid a comic if it focused on a character's gay relationship. That's just me. I think the thought of two men having sex is the grosses thing imaginable. I'm not a gay or lesbian hater. I don't "hate" anyone for that matter. I believe gays and lesbians have rights just like everyone else. I just don't want to read about them in my comics. Sorry in advance if I've offended anyone. That is not my intentions. I'm just stating how I feel on the issue. "
    What if a character you liked was made gay and he had a team up with a potential lover of the same sex? You wouldn't read it? What would be the difference? You may think that two men having sex is gross but it's not like the comic is going to SHOW it to you.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Vance Astro said:
    " @Mr Creesy said:
    " I would avoid a comic if it focused on a character's gay relationship. That's just me. I think the thought of two men having sex is the grosses thing imaginable. I'm not a gay or lesbian hater. I don't "hate" anyone for that matter. I believe gays and lesbians have rights just like everyone else. I just don't want to read about them in my comics. Sorry in advance if I've offended anyone. That is not my intentions. I'm just stating how I feel on the issue. "
    What if a character you liked was made gay and he had a team up with a potential lover of the same sex? You wouldn't read it? What would be the difference? You may think that two men having sex is gross but it's not like the comic is going to SHOW it to you. "
    I'll keep it real with you. If it was a female character that I liked that was made gay, I'd probably roll with it. Maybe that's just the dog in me. Let's say Black Panther or Blue Marvel were to come out the closet. I would avoid their comics from that point out. I know the comics aren't going to show the sex scene, but just the indications of male on male sex would be enough to keep me away from that comic and character or characters completely. I wouldn't want to chance buying a comic, flipping through the pages and see two males kissing. That's not a sex scene, but its not something I want to see when I want to be entertained.
    Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The Devil Tiger

My problem is more on the comics book edition publishing comics with gay character only to create buzz and make publicity than with gay character to advance their story. 

The  point of making love story nonsense with straight characters is interesting, as I lived with a gay couple neighbours for years, and let me tell you, they live exaclty the same romantic life as the straights, with the same innuendo... except... they're gay ! duh ! 

Back on the subject, I don't care about gay character. I prefer Lesbian one, but that's my heterosexual brain that's talking here. (FANSERVICE !!!  XD)  

My global opinion is just that if you don't show gay character, or any minority related character, you're contribute to create a ghetto in the mind of people, but the bottom line is, if you create any minority related character and writing them wrong, it get just ridiculous, boring and anvilicious.  

So there's a thin line that ain't easy to walk  here.
    CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " Sexual orientation is a part of life. If kids can't handle seeing two people of the same sex as a couple (not necessarily any juicy stuff, assumin this is a g-rated comic), then they can't handle real life. We've come to a day and age where it is a lot more acceptable to be public with your love for somebody of the same sex then it was in year past. "
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Mr Creesy said:
    I'll keep it real with you. If it was a female character that I liked that was made gay, I'd probably roll with it. Maybe that's just the dog in me. Let's say Black Panther or Blue Marvel were to come out the closet. I would avoid their comics from that point out. I know the comics aren't going to show the sex scene, but just the indications of male on male sex would be enough to keep me away from that comic and character or characters completely. I wouldn't want to chance buying a comic, flipping through the pages and see two males kissing. That's not a sex scene, but its not something I want to see when I want to be entertained. "
    To be perfectly honest I would too.I wouldn't read Black Panther or Blue Marvel if they turned out to be gay.I think it's because they were straight for years.If they were introduced like that I think I'd give them a chance.LOL about two men kissing though.You've never read Young Avengers?
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Vance Astro:  I've read one issue. It was cool. Nothing was in there that I would object to. I am aware that Hulkling or Wiccan (can't remember which one) is gay. .
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Mr Creesy said:
    " @Vance Astro:  I've read one issue. It was cool. Nothing was in there that I would object to. I am aware that Hulkling or Wiccan (can't remember which one) is gay. . "
    They are gay together.They are boyfriends.
    Mr Creesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mr Creesy
    @Vance Astro: LOL..WoW...I didn't know that. Good thing I only read one issue then. I would have gotten more than I bargained for.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PrinceIMC

I just get frustrated that gay characters tend to have much more happy and easy going relationships than straight characters. They should have as many problems as any other couple.
    Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Yumulu
    @thanos1970 said:
    Then batwoman was turned into a lesbian despite her silver age history. In most cases esp Batwoman's it was to grab free press and attention. and in most cases its mention one issue and dropped to never be mentioned again.  anyway I feel its not important and serves no purpose. I dont really care about Northstar or batwomans sexuality.
    The two Batwoman pretty  much only share a name they have pretty much nothing else in common, she was not turned into a lesbian she was pretty much created this way. It no more a gimmick than creating an heterosexual character. It mentionned only one issue to never be mentioned again? You hoped that gay characters will always start a new issue by saying: hey don't forget I am gay, but I don't want to shove it in your face? If you don't care why do you start a thread about it?
    @thanos1970 said:
    But in a way comics are ment for kids and maybe this should not be addressed.  Thoughts? "
    Yeah right ... it people like you that created a comic code and ruined comics in the first place.
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#20  Edited By AssertingValor

There are enough gays in the real world, now they are infiltrating our every aspect of life, there is no escaping them!! ahhhhhhhhhh! 
    P.S. lesbians are ok
    Bopper Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bopper Girl

I actually had a guy friend who was disappointed that holly robinson was lesbian cause he had a crush on her (Fan-wise not desperate) because of her looks and the skills she has. He was also confused with batman and montoya cause those are famous names of fitting characters. and montoya wasn't lesbian lesbian before cause she was originally for the animated kids show batman. No he's not homophobic just mis-guided and down.

Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Achilles.

Midnighter is gay but that does not stop him from being a badass.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mercy_
    @Achilles. said:
    " Midnighter is gay but that does not stop him from being a badass. "
    Awesome example. 
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Precise

I don't mind gay couples at all. I do mind however when an established character suddenly goes gay for no reason at all when it's already established multiple times that she/he is straight. For example, If Superman or Captain America suddenly turned gay, it would make no sense. But if there have been some homosexual moments before.. no problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab1ccc482197
    deactivated-5ab1ccc482197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Achilles. said:
    Awesome example.  "
    Unless you don't like Midnighter..
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mercy_
    @Alurvelve said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Achilles. said:
    Awesome example.  "
    Unless you don't like Midnighter.. "
    Well aren't you Mr. Cheerful?
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Magian
    @Precise said:
    " I don't mind gay couples at all. I do mind however when an established character suddenly goes gay for no reason at all when it's already established multiple times that she/he is straight. For example, If Superman or Captain America suddenly turned gay, it would make no sense. But if there have been some homosexual moments before.. no problem. "
    Pretty much this.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ab1ccc482197
    deactivated-5ab1ccc482197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:
    "Well aren't you Mr. Cheerful? "
    Just never cared for the character.
    Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#29  Edited By Deadcool

Who cares about that?
    Comic characters are not made for sex, they are suposed to be heroes, they are suposed to be an example for the people, I think that lesbian/gay superheroes are just for having more realistic superheroes, or that a message about stop being homophobic, they are people too, and they are also heroes, lol.

And kids, don't be homophobic, and mutantphobic
     And kids, don't be homophobic, and mutantphobic

@Bopper Girl said:
    " I actually had a guy friend who was disappointed that holly robinson was lesbian cause he had a crush on her (Fan-wise not desperate) because of her looks and the skills she has. He was also confused with batman and montoya cause those are famous names of fitting characters. and montoya wasn't lesbian lesbian before cause she was originally for the animated kids show batman. No he's not homophobic just mis-guided and down. "
    ... why people is that sick?
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @Precise said:
    " I don't mind gay couples at all. I do mind however when an established character suddenly goes gay for no reason at all when it's already established multiple times that she/he is straight. For example, If Superman or Captain America suddenly turned gay, it would make no sense. But if there have been some homosexual moments before.. no problem. "
    i agree with this
    thanos1970

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thanos1970

let me clarify why i started this post what upsets me is the gimmick version used. With Northstar marval made a big deal about haveing the first gay comic book hero It was mentioned one issue and dropped for the most part. It was clearly a sales gimmic. I felt the same with Batwoman. They simply did not say oh hey we are starting a Batwoman comic. It was hey we have a lesbian hero and its Batwoman. Besure to get your first issue of batwoman! They might as well have put Buy Batwoman Now with 50% more lesbians.... The point was it served nothing to make the charicture intresting or to further Batwoman. It seems to be just for sales. I dont expect it to be flaunted. But if you have a thing like this it should be part of the charictures being just like being straight is. Heck its not even mentioned out of her own title. None of the batfamily seems to know this. of course why would they but sill the point is it was not to make the chariture more intresting or add something to it. It was done for sales and a gimmick.

and to finish this off not that it matters at all but I am gay  i think this is why it bothers me to see it used as a way to just drive sales mention it once and never address it again.  To the hulks credit when (cant remeber his name now sorry ) one of their charictures came out gay it wass addressed and mentioned even with the Hulk defending the gay chariccture and telling I think it was aries to leave the subject alone and drop it at Ricks wedding

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.