Garage Review: Amazing Spider-Man #238 (1983)

#1 Posted by Dr_Cassidy (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds nice, has it ever been collected in trade ?

#2 Posted by kungnima (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this issue would end up in this video, when you talked about it in the "waitin' for answers in comic''.  : D
Great review!

#3 Posted by G-Man (30650 posts) - - Show Bio
@kungnima: Yeah, shot on the same day. 

@Dr_Cassidy: In the 1993 trade "The Origin of the Hobgoblin." There's some used copies on Amazon for under $20. Contains:  ASM  #238-239, 244-245, and 249-251 and Spectacular Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #85. Softcover, 160 pages
Staff
#4 Posted by Aeroman (495 posts) - - Show Bio

just out of curiosity are you going to review the amazing spider-man big time issues featuring a new hobgoblin

#5 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh! Fantastic!
I even got that one! For once! XD

#6 Posted by comicbikerscott (152 posts) - - Show Bio

i love hobgoblin
#7 Posted by ImperiousRix (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hobgoblin is unfortunately one of those identities that has fallen into disuse lately, and it's a shame because I really  like the character. 
As usual, great job.  My favorite feature on the site.

#8 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny that you had the topic this week of how long should you wait for answers, Hobgoblin was one of the best implemented mysteries in Spideys career back then. I remember the months surrounding the release of his identity, it was a lot like the 'who shot J.R.' of comic stories.

#9 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, yeah, Hobgoblin rules!  Nice choice.  One of my favorite villains.  I think he supercedes Green Goblin in many ways.   
Definitely a great issue!  Thanks for digging this up.
#10 Posted by Kamen Rider Kajiki (1388 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a copy of this in Dutch, The cover is ruined by a huge sticker which i'm afraid will rip the comic apart once i try to remove it.

#11 Posted by johnny_spam (2032 posts) - - Show Bio

Why were you reluctant to give spoilers to a 27 year old comic?

#12 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

That cover looks awesome!

You said "Sort of" a lot on this video... I want to read this book now!
Can I have that copy when you find a better copy for your personal collection?

#13 Posted by Sergotron (108 posts) - - Show Bio

A classic, one of my favorites as well.

#14 Posted by Mumbles (846 posts) - - Show Bio

cool cover

#15 Posted by NXH (1031 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool. Are you looking forward to the Hobgoblin's return next month with Dan Slott and Ramos? 
I AM! =)

#16 Posted by 604comics (89 posts) - - Show Bio

I have this issue! Too bad it's in piss-poor condition.

#17 Posted by G-Man (30650 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:
" Why were you reluctant to give spoilers to a 27 year old comic? "
There's a reason...
Staff
#18 Posted by sharky64 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

love the background music
#19 Posted by OnlyWonderBoy (47 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the Garage Reviews. Since I'm just getting into comic these quick looks into some classics are very interesting to me. Also, that Alkaline Trio skateboard is pretty sweet.

#20 Posted by mickoreo_LZ (250 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImperiousRix said:

"The Hobgoblin is unfortunately one of those identities that has fallen into disuse lately, and it's a shame because I really  like the character. As usual, great job.  My favorite feature on the site. "

I agree. Hobgoblin's name and identity has fallen into disuse lately. Another classic awesome Spider-Man character that  kinda got ruined, but is still kinda cool
#21 Posted by sdtopdog (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember this issue, it came with tattoos or was it stickers????

#22 Posted by G-Man (30650 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder what's gonna happen with Hobgoblin's upcoming appearance. Is it the same Hobgoblin or yet another poser?

Staff
#23 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent review, G-Man. I agree, this and part two are how Spidey and the Hobgoblin are supposed to be done. I just hope with him returning, Hobby/Kingsley can reach the pinnacleo f greatness he received under Roger Stern's tenure.
#24 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the review.
#25 Posted by tenavis (159 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix said:
The Hobgoblin is unfortunately one of those identities that has fallen into disuse lately, and it's a shame because I really  like the character.
Sad, indeed.
#26 Posted by gnarlycore (8 posts) - - Show Bio

love this era of spider-man...it's what got me into comics.  Loved the Gang War story as a kid.

#27 Posted by nonobee (120 posts) - - Show Bio

Hobgoblin was on of my all time favorite villains.. Just in the period I started to read and buy comics in Sweden where I'm from. Just missed out on the green goblin stories that was before my "ComicAwareness";). Anyways he is so connected to my childhood memories that it was amazing how well I remembered that comics content still, over 20 years after reading it and not being able to recall most of the content of the comics I read the past year. THAT'S Spidey for me! Before the clone saga, before brand new day etc. Actually stopped paying atention to Spidey after clone saga and just live of the good memory that was him...

Thanks for giving me this recalled memory of my childhood G-Man :)

#28 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio
@sdtopdog Tattoos

I also have this issue. I got it just because of how cool the cover is
#29 Posted by Koz (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Spider-man back in the 80's I think the book was at  it's best then. Great review. I love hobgoblin. One of the few issues of Spider-man I do not have.
#30 Edited by OldDude (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome comic! Romita Sr and Jr's art fit greatly there...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.