super_man_23's Hit-Girl #1 review

Hit-Girl is BACK!!!

Hit-Girl is back with her own spin off series! Writer Mark Millar and artist John Romita Jr. follow Mindy McCready (Hit-Girl) on an all new adventure that has her settling into her new life, and trying to hide her more violent hero personality from her mother and step-father. If you are a fan of Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.'s character or even the franchise, you should pick up this book!

The Good

It is good to see the two co-creators, Mark Millar and John Romita Jr., together again to create a new story. Out of all the choices of other heroes, and even the main villain Red Mist, the two creators decided to make a story that follows the adventures of Hit-Girl. Hit-Girl is not your ordinary, well, girl. She was trained by Big Daddy who pushed her to be the best she could possibly be at a extremely young age, this making Hit-Girl the most dangerous and well trained hero in this title. I am always excited when I see development of a character in a popular comic book that really focuses on the possibility of heroes in our current society. While many comic book fans alike would like to have the abilities of Superman or people of that level, that is not realistic, this is. Millar hasn't lost his touch in writing this series and has really improved as well. I am really looking forward to see what Millar and Romita are going to be doing in the future.

The story picks up at an interesting pace showing the different plot elements that will contribute to eventual issues. With heroes rising more-and-more everyday, the mob sees it to start killing them off now before they overpower the mob, Red Mist has the same idea. The artwork by Romita is okay, I'm just glad he is still working on the series with Millar.

The Bad

John Romita Jr. is an outstanding artist and this is one of his greatest successes in his career as a comic book creator/artist. While the story was really good, the artwork just seemed off at times. Again, Romita is a great artist and seeing his artwork on Avengers Vs. X-Men for a short time then seeing him do the interior art for Hit-Girl seemed a little weird. His artwork for Hit-Girl makes her look like a little 3 year old child, and also makes her look funny as well. The cover of this issue doesn't help at all, but if you can move past the weird design of Hit-Girl and some of the other characters, this is still a great series.

This series is really good and it has the talented works of Millar and Romita Jr. working once again to tell a really interesting story. If you are a fan of Hit-Girl and want to see more of her and the future of this series, then pick it UP!