zack_freeman's Heroic Age: X-Men #1 review

• zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Heroic Age X-Men #1

Steve Rogers' thoughts and observations of every mutant in the Marvel Universe. Includes a comprehensive listing of characters.

The Good

If you've only recently gotten back into the X-Books, as I have, this is a handy, concise guide that'll give you the 411 on all the new mutants and also catch you up on all your old friends and favorites. Rogers' entries reveal as much about his personality, post-resurrection, as they do about those of the individually-profiled characters. And Jae Lee's cover is mighty pretty.

The Bad

Reviewing this kind of book is almost like trying to critique a textbook - - there's not exactly a lot to evaluate. It does, however, bring up the oft-repeated criticism of Decimation and its fall-out that there are still many, many mutants for a species that's supposed to be on the brink of extinction in the story.

The Verdict - 4/5

Objectively, I'd recommend checking out some database online (like those at Comic Vine!) to learn about the X-Men instead of using this. However, for what is is, it's a well put-together guide that keeps the profiles concise and precise enough to tell you what you need to know about these characters without burying you in overlong histories and meaningless stats.
Posted by JonesDeini

Oh marvel, will your cash grabbing ever cease lol

Posted by mesosteros2

So it's like the X-Men's Guide to the Marvel Universe?

Posted by harleyquinn12

Was it anything like the Superheroes issue? If so, I have to get this!
Posted by kingoftheworld

the only thing that pisses me off about books like this is the price tag. 99 cents is a perfect price for a manual such as this. not 3.99