Follow

Hercules

Character » Hercules appears in 1961 issues.

One of six Olympian sons of Zeus, Hercules was born the savior of the Gods and mankind. Known as the Prince of Power, Hercules is one of the strongest beings in existence, an Olympian God and a modern superhero recognized throughout the world for his might. He has been a champion of mankind since ancient times and continues to defend the world in the modern age - most frequently as a member of the Avengers.

Would you want a Hercules series or mini that did the following?

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By seekquaze

I'm trying to understand a mindset of certain Hulk fans so I thought I would try it with another character.

Would you want a Hercules story where Herc casually trashes the entire Marvel Universe through brute strength alone without any real challenge? A story that showed Hercules could at a moment's notice power-up his strength level to whatever level he wanted allowing him to shatter planets and turns top-tiers to dust with the mere energy that comes forth from his fist? That he can do all of this without any sort of outside power up? Does this type of story have any appeal to Hercules fans?

CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By CodeSaint

That's some way how Chaos Wars should have been.xD

I would like it only if it was well written,and didn't have PIS,like Hercules killing Beyonder with his fists.And if the fights were so easy it wouldn't would be entrataining for me.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By seekquaze

@CodeSaint:

Could you provide some rough example of how it could be well written please? I admit I'm lost on any possibility.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Kallarkz

Nope

CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CodeSaint

@seekquaze said:

@CodeSaint:

Could you provide some rough example of how it could be well written please? I admit I'm lost on any possibility.

If Herc has a plausible power-up and don't defeats he shouldn't be able to do,even with a power as that.And it has a good plot to explain why that is happening in the comic.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PowerHerc

Yes, I'd definitely get that sort of story and probably be quite entertained, too.

spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By spiderbuck1

Absolutely. Alert me at the announcement of the series, because I'm all over that puppy. I loved watching Herc break the rogue Surfers board in a possible future, and even become a dichotomous life satiating counter to the hunger that is Galactus! And then to become one of the most powerful Marvel beings ever in Chaos War?? Awesome. So heck yeah, give us more Hercules kicking tail to his fullest potential.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By seekquaze

@PowerHerc: @spiderbuck:

If I may ask..why would you like a story like this assuming it was written even halfway seriously? What appeal is there in a character that can go toe-to-toe with Galactus with ease? What appeal is there in a story that comes across as if it is written to pump one character up by making every other character in the MU look like a completely useless fool? How would you feel if Hercules was on the receiving end of such a beating from say...Hulk or Thor?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze: The appeal would be the chance to see my favorite character as the ultimate, nigh-invincible bada**. He only recently got that chance (in Chaos War) and the story could have been a wee bit better and there should have been much, much more action/battling for Hercules.

And I've already seen him take a beating from the Hulk in "Incredible Hulk: Hercules Unleashed" back in 1996. It's not a story I especially enjoyed but it happened. The Hulk, Thor, Surfer and others often get there moments to shine and that fine. Why shouldn't Hercules get his? It would be great. it would be fun. I'd love it! That's right.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By seekquaze

@PowerHerc: To me there is a difference in letting a character shine on his own and deliberately humiliating other characters just for him to shine. Its why a lot of people disliked the first six-tweleve issues of Rhulk, WWH, Amadeus Cho, and the last dozen issues or so of Pak's run on Hulk. Its one reason I don't like the Hulk. In recent years Marvel has made it so he never loses, when he is around is the only one that can save the day, he can overcome anything just by being "mad" as a plot device greater than traditional heroic resolve, the power cosmic, or Mjolnir ever were, and the Marvel Universe drops its collective IQ to engage Hulk in fisticuffs.

If Hercules were in a series where he battled progressively stronger opponents who actually had a reason for coming at him and had a hard time about it (depending on the opponent) and they did more than simply play Herc's game I could like it. I would hate for Herc to be in a story like WWH or the first story arcs of Rhulk where he carelessly goes through fights by hardly trying, laughs off everything thrown at him and humiliates long-standing rivals just to show how great he is. One-sided beat downs and humiliations have their place depending on the characters and story elements involved, but for me they get old fast especially if it is at the expense of long-established and respected characters and the only point being to show how great the new guy or now Character X is meant to be.

On the other note, to me "Hulk: Hercules Unleashed" is one of the better Herc stories I've read. True, Herc took a beating, but as established in the story there was a good reason for that. The story showed Herc's heart, fighting skills, and seriousness as a warrior in a way few other stories ever have. It also showed why Hercules will still be remembered when the Hulk is long forgotten.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze: Okay, I get why you don't like Herc's buffoonery. I think it's been overdone and is played out, too. I also get why you don't like seeing some of the things that have been happening in comics the past several years in regards to certain characters being used as punching bags/jobbers for other characters.

Me? I think Hercules deserves to shine and sometimes that means other characters won't shine. I would like to see Hercules defeating the other characters because I think that he has got the short end of the stick (both in terms of writing and in terms of showings) for far too long. He hasn't been allowed to shine very often. I don't want to see other characters humiliated just for the sake of humiliating them or for the purpose of giving some newer, lesser and/or undeserving character a power-bump. But Hercules isn't some johnny-come-lately strongman superhero. His recent depowering and past power reduction not withstanding, Hercules has been at the tip-top level of physical strength, stamina and durability all along. Because of this, though some fans might not appreciate Herc's long standing stature as one of Marvel's longest standing strongmen/powerhouses, it makes sense for him to have incredible showings against several other highly powerful characters. In terms of strength, this wouldn't necessarily bump him up, it would merely show he's still at that top level and allow him to keep his place there as time moves forward. I think that is important for Hercules as a character because strength is the number one thing that defines the character.

Example: From his debut in the early 1960's until the early 80's the Thing used to be regarded as a top-tier strongman in the Marvel Universe. He was regarded as being right up there with the Hulk, Hercules, Thor and slightly above Namor in terms of strength. Then he started to be used as a jobber to pump up other characters (Hyperion, Wonder Man, Sasquatch and others) and has continually had his strongman status reduced time and time again while other characters keep making gains that have allowed the likes of Captain Britain, Nova (Rider) and Drax to surpass him. Not to mention other characters whom were close to him in strength but now surpass him (She-Hulk, Colossus, Iron Man). Then there are the newer characters that were already stronger than the Thing upon their very creation; T-Bird (Exiles), Atlas (Josten), Skaar, and many more). Even though it isn't fair, this "diminishing power syndrome" can happen to nearly any character.

I don't want to see it happen to Hercules. I want him to keep pace with his peers in the top-tier of Marvel strength characters. I want to see him retain his status as a top-tier strength character. A story where he is shown defeating several other high-powered beings would show him keeping his rightful and deserved place. He wouldn't be using other characters to advance his position/status. He'd be keeping his own spot; preserving his own standard. Maybe that's not important to you, but it is to me. I don't want to pick up a comic one day and see Reptyl beating Herc in an arm-wrestling match. I don't want to see Mettle (or whomever the latest, greatest mutant, angst-ridden teen hero is) outdoing Hercules in a contest of strength or defeating him in an idiotic battle. Hercules should always rank right up at the top with the Hulk, Thor, Gladiator and a few others. Hercules (in any incarnation) is synonymous with strength. That's how he should remain.

That's why I'd like to see such a story. All that and, as I stated in a previous post, as a Hercules fan I would find such a story fun and enjoyable to read.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By seekquaze

@PowerHerc: You may be surprised to hear that I agree with the vast majority of what you have said. I do not want to see Hercules downgraded overtime to where he becomes like Wonder Man, a virtually joke character. If done well I would like to read a series where Hercules takes on several top-tiers and wins: Abomination, Colossus, and even someone like Captain Britain or Thor if done right. I would want to see Hercules fight Mangog or Kurse, a being who should out do Herc strength wise and win through some of the tactical cunning he should have developed throughout the centuries. Even if he lost to someone like Mangog he would still be keeping his spot since Mangog traditionally ranks so much higher than top-tiers. To make it better even have him fight a few opponents that are non-traditional for him like Juggernaut and Zzax. Enemies that he cannot defeat by punching would give him a chance to use some intelligence and remove the stain some of the excess buffoonery has caused. As long it doesn't get ridiculous like having Herc disintegrate them with a thunder clap I'm all for it.

P. S. I don't mind Herc's clownish attics. I think it can make him enduring and set him apart from other characters. I just don't like to see it overdone.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By gravitypress

Anything Hercules would get a nod but I would rather have a story that makes use of his unique personality and heart.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc: You may be surprised to hear that I agree with the vast majority of what you have said. I do not want to see Hercules downgraded overtime to where he becomes like Wonder Man, a virtually joke character. If done well I would like to read a series where Hercules takes on several top-tiers and wins: Abomination, Colossus, and even someone like Captain Britain or Thor if done right. I would want to see Hercules fight Mangog or Kurse, a being who should out do Herc strength wise and win through some of the tactical cunning he should have developed throughout the centuries. Even if he lost to someone like Mangog he would still be keeping his spot since Mangog traditionally ranks so much higher than top-tiers. To make it better even have him fight a few opponents that are non-traditional for him like Juggernaut and Zzax. Enemies that he cannot defeat by punching would give him a chance to use some intelligence and remove the stain some of the excess buffoonery has caused. As long it doesn't get ridiculous like having Herc disintegrate them with a thunder clap I'm all for it.

P. S. I don't mind Herc's clownish attics. I think it can make him enduring and set him apart from other characters. I just don't like to see it overdone.

I agree 100% with everything you state here.

Especially Kurse and Mangog being great potential opponents for Hercules.

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By thestarguy

@PowerHerc said:

@seekquaze: Okay, I get why you don't like Herc's buffoonery. I think it's been overdone and is played out, too. I also get why you don't like seeing some of the things that have been happening in comics the past several years in regards to certain characters being used as punching bags/jobbers for other characters.

Me? I think Hercules deserves to shine and sometimes that means other characters won't shine. I would like to see Hercules defeating the other characters because I think that he has got the short end of the stick (both in terms of writing and in terms of showings) for far too long. He hasn't been allowed to shine very often. I don't want to see other characters humiliated just for the sake of humiliating them or for the purpose of giving some newer, lesser and/or undeserving character a power-bump. But Hercules isn't some johnny-come-lately strongman superhero. His recent depowering and past power reduction not withstanding, Hercules has been at the tip-top level of physical strength, stamina and durability all along. Because of this, though some fans might not appreciate Herc's long standing stature as one of Marvel's longest standing strongmen/powerhouses, it makes sense for him to have incredible showings against several other highly powerful characters. In terms of strength, this wouldn't necessarily bump him up, it would merely show he's still at that top level and allow him to keep his place there as time moves forward. I think that is important for Hercules as a character because strength is the number one thing that defines the character.

Example: From his debut in the early 1960's until the early 80's the Thing used to be regarded as a top-tier strongman in the Marvel Universe. He was regarded as being right up there with the Hulk, Hercules, Thor and slightly above Namor in terms of strength. Then he started to be used as a jobber to pump up other characters (Hyperion, Wonder Man, Sasquatch and others) and has continually had his strongman status reduced time and time again while other characters keep making gains that have allowed the likes of Captain Britain, Nova (Rider) and Drax to surpass him. Not to mention other characters whom were close to him in strength but now surpass him (She-Hulk, Colossus, Iron Man). Then there are the newer characters that were already stronger than the Thing upon their very creation; T-Bird (Exiles), Atlas (Josten), Skaar, and many more). Even though it isn't fair, this "diminishing power syndrome" can happen to nearly any character.

I don't want to see it happen to Hercules. I want him to keep pace with his peers in the top-tier of Marvel strength characters. I want to see him retain his status as a top-tier strength character. A story where he is shown defeating several other high-powered beings would show him keeping his rightful and deserved place. He wouldn't be using other characters to advance his position/status. He'd be keeping his own spot; preserving his own standard. Maybe that's not important to you, but it is to me. I don't want to pick up a comic one day and see Reptyl beating Herc in an arm-wrestling match. I don't want to see Mettle (or whomever the latest, greatest mutant, angst-ridden teen hero is) outdoing Hercules in a contest of strength or defeating him in an idiotic battle. Hercules should always rank right up at the top with the Hulk, Thor, Gladiator and a few others. Hercules (in any incarnation) is synonymous with strength. That's how he should remain.

Man, oh man, do I EVER agree with you 100%!!

What has been done with both Hercules and the Thing, who are 2 of my 3 favorite Marvel characters, is almost criminal. And I also agree that making both Colossus and She-Hulk stonger than Ben have practically caused me to abandon Marvel altogether. I can't stand Ben Grimm continuously getting dissed the way that he has been in recent years, Also, you are correct that even Namor was originally only capable of beating Ben in the water, and never on land. Marvel used to be the "realistic" company, but ever since the mutant craze kicked in, stats are virtually meaningless now.

Hercules should absolutely remain top-tier on Marvel Earth!!! And yes, his very name is synonymous with strength!!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PowerHerc

@thestarguy said:

@PowerHerc said:

Man, oh man, do I EVER agree with you 100%!!

What has been done with both Hercules and the Thing, who are 2 of my 3 favorite Marvel characters, is almost criminal. And I also agree that making both Colossus and She-Hulk stonger than Ben have practically caused me to abandon Marvel altogether. I can't stand Ben Grimm continuously getting dissed the way that he has been in recent years, Also, you are correct that even Namor was originally only capable of beating Ben in the water, and never on land. Marvel used to be the "realistic" company, but ever since the mutant craze kicked in, stats are virtually meaningless now.

Hercules should absolutely remain top-tier on Marvel Earth!!! And yes, his very name is synonymous with strength!!

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking/feeling this way.

Hercules and the Thing have both continually been treated carelessly and disrespectfully and it should stop. Hercules needs to retain his position in the top-tier of strength by having impressive showings & victories against powerful opponents and also through more incredible strength feats. Ben needs to regain his status as one of Marvel's strongest heroes by doing the same.

I think it's cool that Herc and Ben are two of your three favorite Marvel characters. They are my two favorite Marvel characters and have been for over thirty years now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.