Follow

Hercules

Character » Hercules appears in 1962 issues.

One of six Olympian sons of Zeus, Hercules was born the savior of the Gods and mankind. Known as the Prince of Power, Hercules is one of the strongest beings in existence, an Olympian God and a modern superhero recognized throughout the world for his might. He has been a champion of mankind since ancient times and continues to defend the world in the modern age - most frequently as a member of the Avengers.

Would you say Herc was a modern man?

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 65

Has he shown views and traits that a man of the 21st/20th century would show?

For example: women are our equals, and considering the laws and etiquette of modern times?

Or is he strictly old school? You knw Greek point of views

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think Hercules has shown he's somewhat modern based on these two examples alone:

In "Incredible Hulk" #107 he tells Angel (whom was using a computer) "Thou shouldst learn the keystroke commands. Much more efficient than all that pointing and clicking. Here . . " Herc then wanted to take over use of the computer but Angel continued using it. In-depth knowledge of the use of computers definitely shows a certain level of modernity.

He again demonstrated a certain level of modernity when conversing with Angel in "Incredible Hulk" #110. In that instance Angel is telling his fellow Renegades that eviscerating people, for whatever reason, is a very bad thing and Hercules' response of "Aye, that it is. In this millennium, anyway." shows he's aware that what Angel says is true in terms of what's acceptable using modern Western moral standards. By not in fact eviscerating his foes in modern times, Hercules shows he also follows modern moral standards.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Anything PowerHerc says about Hercules must be true.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: computer use! Oh my lol

Does he operate any equipment or show skill using other technology ? I'm just curious how with the times he is, maybe listening to modern music?

@awesam: lol

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

@lordmaverick:

He used an Avengers spacecraft to take Deathcry back to her home in the Shi'ar Empire.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: was he able to pilot the craft with any advanced skill

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think this depends on how you define a modern man. Many countries in the world still have views closer to Hercules's original time. For instance, in Assault on New Olympus Hercules still thought of Hebe as essentially his property and any man who associated with her without his permission was within his rights to kill. Back in the eighties Avengers, Hercules had issue with taking orders from the Wasp.

At the same time like PowerHerc has shown he has come into the modern age as viewed in western countries. He knows how to use computers to some extent contrary to what Iron Man might say. He views women with more respect than he once did. He knows times have changed enough that he should not go around killing everyone who has wronged him. So I would say he fits in more with the modern age more so than any other Olympian save Ares. The only bit of him that doesn't fit in is his fashion sense.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: was he able to pilot the craft with any advanced skill

He was able to get it across the cosmos and back. The writer didn't go into greater detail than that.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He plays Arcade games and has referenced Men in Black, so he also watches films.

Against the unspoken he took control of the ship and was a natural.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordmaverick: What PowerHerc said is true, Hercules is modern guy now, but he's constantly showing traits of his ancient self.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordmaverick: What PowerHerc said is true, Hercules is modern guy now, but he's constantly showing traits of his ancient self.

Exactly: Hercules is a modern guy who, naturally, shows personality traits acquired over the course of more than 3,500 years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@lordmaverick:

While in Ancient Greece most time women were equal to man, only after Christian religion started to grow, the womankind had show as not equal to man. Famous exemple is Eve, the woman was create to serve the Adam and sin doom all cilivization.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@lordmaverick:

While in Ancient Greece most time women were equal to man, only after Christian religion started to grow, the womankind had show as not equal to man. Famous exemple is Eve, the woman was create to serve the Adam and sin doom all cilivization.

lol no. Women in Athens were discriminated like hell. They were treated as their husbands property and they couldn't even leave their house without their husbands. They didn't have civil nor political rights. Their only duty was to raise their children and be quiet. Believe me this, I just spent several months studying ancient law systems in my law university. But unlike in Athens, women in Sparta were ALMOST equal to men.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@bigcimmerian:

I said most of time but the only people that were consider citizens on Athens were man over 21 i think that complete military serve, who was born on Athens and also his parents and couldnt be slaves mich meant that only less 20 % of population could vote and be politician.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@bigcimmerian:

I said most of time but the only people that were consider citizens on Athens were man over 21 i think that complete military serve, who was born on Athens and also his parents and couldnt be slaves mich meant that only less 20 % of population could vote and be politician.

Yes, tis true :D

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

On a somewhat related note, in Hercules: Heart of Chaos the god Tharamus mentioned that Hercules and Ares were the only gods still relevant to modern man or at least more so than any other Olympian. Ares of course because he represents the worst aspects of humanity...our own inhumanity toward each other that never seems to change. Ares is the part that is willing to do anything to win no matter who it hurts or how brutal. The part that wants greatness no matter what. The part of humans to take any new knowledge and try and use it how to figure out how to use such knowledge to dominate or kill each other.

Do you agree with the rest of Tharamus' statement about Hercules? In what ways is he still relevant to modern humans? Why more than other gods like Athena or Dionysus?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.