What were Herc's powers during his mortal 90s days?

#1 Posted by seekquaze (569 posts) - - Show Bio

I know back in the 90s Herc was stripped of his godhood and returned to his demigod power levels.  It also included a shave.  I imagine it was to go with the Hercules tv series at the time.

Did any two writers ever agree on what Herc's limitations were?  Some stories had his powers reduced to about a class 70 brick?  Others reduced his strength to about that level and made his durability and stamina less.  Others had him be as strong as ever, but his stamina and toughness drastically reduced.  Did it ever become somewhat clear?

#2 Edited by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: 

When Zeus stripped Hercules of his immortality back in the mid-90's it was stated several times that his strength had been halved.  His durability was also reduced as evidenced by the beating he got from the Hulk  in the "Hulk/Hercules: Unleashed" one-shot.  Previous to this fight, Herc had fought the Hulk many times before and was never even injured, let alone beaten.  Herc was also shown to be vulnerable to the elements in the "Avengers" when he stated he hadn't felt what it was like to be cold in ages while in arctic cold. 

Presumably, due to what was stated in the comics and what was then shown, it's safe to say that all of Herc's godly powers were cut in half. 

The problem I always had with this is; If Zeus stripped Herc of his immortality, how does that relate to strength?  I mean; Herc as a mortal demigod was able to hold the heavans up, slay Antaeus and save Olympus from the Giants.  Obviously mortal Herc should was just as strong as immortal Herc.  Stripping away his immortality should merely have made him more vulnerable to harm and easier to kill.  It shouldn't have diminished his strength, but it did.

#3 Posted by seekquaze (569 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

The problem I always had with this is; If Zeus stripped Herc of his immortality, how does that relate to strength?  I mean; Herc as a mortal demigod was able to hold the heavans up, slay Antaeus and save Olympus from the Giants.  Obviously mortal Herc should was just as strong as immortal Herc.  Stripping away his immortality should merely have made him more vulnerable to harm and easier to kill.  It shouldn't have diminished his strength, but it did.

I think this is where some of the confusion comes form.  Some writers treated Hercules like his strength had been halved as well.  IIRC, in one Avengers issue Hercules was hanging by a rope with some other Avengers on him and could barely pull himself up or something like that.   I think the thinking was godhood was a power up to all of his abilities.  In Thor, when Sif or Volstagg's mortal wards were turned into gods all of their physical abilities increased as well so some writers took a similar view with Hercules.  Other writers took a view similar to you and put him at full strength since it was his godly birthright, but half his stamina and durability because that is where his mortal half was.

Also, was there ever a story or anything to tell when Hercules was restored to full power?  All I recall is Hercules showed up one day doing stuff only full power Hercules could do.  I've asked around before, but never found a story where Zeus officially restored his powers.

Oh, in addition to his strength and durability if Hercules were to have any other powers such as teleporting between Olympus and Earth, sensing magic, or something else what do you think they should be without deviating too much from the character? 
#4 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio
@seekquaze said:
"

@PowerHerc said:

I think this is where some of the confusion comes form.  Some writers treated Hercules like his strength had been halved as well.  IIRC, in one Avengers issue Hercules was hanging by a rope with some other Avengers on him and could barely pull himself up or something like that.   I think the thinking was godhood was a power up to all of his abilities.  In Thor, when Sif or Volstagg's mortal wards were turned into gods all of their physical abilities increased as well so some writers took a similar view with Hercules.  Other writers took a view similar to you and put him at full strength since it was his godly birthright, but half his stamina and durability because that is where his mortal half was.Also, was there ever a story or anything to tell when Hercules was restored to full power?  All I recall is Hercules showed up one day doing stuff only full power Hercules could do.  I've asked around before, but never found a story where Zeus officially restored his powers.Oh, in addition to his strength and durability if Hercules were to have any other powers such as teleporting between Olympus and Earth, sensing magic, or something else what do you think they should be without deviating too much from the character? 

"

Yes, the writers were inconsistent about the mortal Herc's strength in the '90s, though most did portray him at a reduced strength level.  I still think they weren't thinking.

As for when he was returned to full power; to  my knowledge there was never a story about this.  The only reference I seen regarding Hercules regaining his immortality and indisputably returning to his full strength, stamina and durability was in his character profile in the 2008 HC edition of "The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: A-Z."  This edition puts Herc getting his immortality back  between his "New Labors" mini-series and the Ares mini-series which followed shortly after that.

As far as Herc teleporting; I don't want it.  As for him being able to sense magic; Seeing as how Herc is a mythical being this would make sense.  I'm for it, though I'm not sure how it would/should be shown. I wouldn't want Herc to become a magic-manipulator of any sort, however.   

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.