Follow

Hercules

Character » Hercules appears in 1962 issues.

One of six Olympian sons of Zeus, Hercules was born the savior of the Gods and mankind. Known as the Prince of Power, Hercules is one of the strongest beings in existence, an Olympian God and a modern superhero recognized throughout the world for his might. He has been a champion of mankind since ancient times and continues to defend the world in the modern age - most frequently as a member of the Avengers.

Should Hercules get Pegasus?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

I figured since he can't fly actually, it would be a nice opportunity to give him the famous winged horse. What do yall think? Maybe not like in every comic Herc has him, but I think it would be kinda cool for Hercules to ride Pegasus for traveling or sometimes for fighting.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PowerHerc

The Filmation version of Hercules already used a winged horse named Pegasus in the Saturday morning cartoon "Freedom Force" and, more recently, Disney's Hercules has done the same. I don't think Marvel needs to do the same with their Hercules. Other Marvel characters including the Black Knight and Valkyrie have done this and every time I've seen it I didn't like it. Seeing a superhero riding a winged steed into battle and then actually battling foes while mounted usually seems forced/contrived and is never visually appealing to me.

Besides, Hercules is known and liked for using his enormous strength. It's pretty hard to lift anything heavy or throw anything heavy or punch anything hard while mounted on an animal that cannot fly while supporting that weight or provide a solid base from which to act; Being mounted on a flying horse would negate Hercules' strength almost entirely.

Hercules is better off without Pegasus.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SoA

Hercules doesn't need Pegasus , besides the disney cartoon , it wasn't even his!

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online
    @PowerHerc:  What about as a means of travel?
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

@Wolfrazer: No.

I can see why the mythological tie-in would be appealing to some, but to me Pegasus just gets in the way.

You see, Herc would have to be concerned about the horse's safety, where he's gonna leave him when he has to dismount to fight and what would happen to him should Herc himself be incapacitated, captured or worse. I know that all these situations and the many plot lines that could derive from them could be explained (probably inanely) but why bother with the contrivance(s) of having to explain "What happened to Pegasus?" or "How did Pegasus survive that?" It's better and easier not to have Pegasus around at all.

Marvel Hercules has been able to get around without the winged steed this long. He'll be all right without him stilll.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By seekquaze

If not Pegasus, should Hercules have some reliable form of transportation? Thor has his hammer and goat-drawn chariot. Apollo has his sun chariot. Zeus has his thunderbolts. Other gods can usually fly or teleport between dimensions on their own. Hercules though has to persuade others for rides and if he cannot get one can have trouble getting where he wants to go.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PowerHerc

@seekquaze said:

If not Pegasus, should Hercules have some reliable form of transportation? Thor has his hammer and goat-drawn chariot. Apollo has his sun chariot. Zeus has his thunderbolts. Other gods can usually fly or teleport between dimensions on their own. Hercules though has to persuade others for rides and if he cannot get one can have trouble getting where he wants to go.

How about some winged footwear similar to what Hermes wears?

That would give him the poser of flight and could even give him super-speed, too.

Kala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a while he used the Griffin as transport.

http://imagecache5d.art.com/Crop/cropwm.jpg?img=-68-6802-38WI100Z&x=0&y=0&w=1000&h=1000&size=2&maxw=942&maxh=558&q=100

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LeeSensei

I'd like him to just fly. Flying brick.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like him to just fly. Flying brick.

That would be preferable to having Herc get around riding Pegasus.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Pegasus idea, but I really want Herc to be more powerful, like in his myths. Pure strength, fighting ability/ grappling, and his mastery of ancient weapons should be nearly unequaled. He should be Thor's superior in physical strength, alongside Hulk.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Pegasus idea, but I really want Herc to be more powerful, like in his myths. Pure strength, fighting ability/ grappling, and his mastery of ancient weapons should be nearly unequaled. He should be Thor's superior in physical strength, alongside Hulk.

I agree Hercules's pure strength, hand-to-hand combat skills and mastery of ancient weapons should be nearly unequaled. I contend that Hercules (at his normal power level) is already superior to Thor in physical strength.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

yes from time to time.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.