Should Hercules be able to develop other powers as a god?

  • 59 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by seekquaze (617 posts) - - Show Bio

One reason Marvel's gods do not appear very "godly" is due to the lack of diverse powers many people associated with gods. Instead, they are portrayed as just immortal strong men. The Asgardians are the worse at this. The major Olympians usually fare better unless they are the major character of a story. All gods are usually stated to have the potential for vast power of they bothered to develop it, but so few ever do. Hercules usually is not bothered by this thanks to his strength being so great. Do you think Hercules should have the potential to develop other powers or that as the god of strength he should be limited to just strength? thoughts?

#2 Posted by herculesfan43 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't know, maybe he should have some strength based powers, i cant really see him as someone to use energy manipulation as a power maybe the power to grow, maybe marvel would think that is too ant man though. possibilities are quite different though maybe manipulate the earth o form armor to increase durability and strength. If he was given lightning manipulation powers i think he would seem like a poor mans Thor. I would like to see an hero who could manipulate the earth though ad far as i know the only one to do so is crystal of the inhumans but she is quite small scale and while thor apparently has the power he seldom uses it. Hard to say what he should have as another power because other gods have them and it seems like copying them would detract from the impact of the character.

#3 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

I do think Hercules should be able to develop more godly powers.

Being that Hercules is and traditionally always has been a character who is defined by his physical abilities, I don't think he should develop any powers of energy or matter manipulation (unless he became the Sky-father/ruler of the Olympians). I do think he should, as the Olympian God of Strength, be able to increase his physical strength to any level whatsoever simply by willing it. I also think Hercules should be able to similarly increase his stamina and durability (including rapid regenerative healing). Considering his mythical founding of the first Olympics and then winning every event in honor of Zeus, I think it would make sense for Hercules to not only have super-speed (which has been stated) but to have and use a relatively high degree of super-speed. Finally, it would be cool if Hercules could use his Olympian godhood to develop the power of unaided flight.

To summarize, I think the following would be good additional powers/abilities for Hercules to develop through godly manifestation:

1) Development of the ability to increase his already incalculable strength, stamina and durability to unlimited levels at will.

2) Development of the ability to rapidly, regeneratively heal on the rare occasion when he is injured.

3) Development of a high-level of super-speed ( including reflexes, hand speed, running, etc).

4) Development of the ability to fly using only his will and godly power.

5) No energy or matter manipulation powers.

These changes would keep Hercules a "physical"-type superhero while also vastly increasing his overall power set, and thus elevate him to a the highest level possible of non-energy manipulating superheroes.

#4 Posted by thestarguy (353 posts) - - Show Bio

I really think that it is "divine" to be able to share or bequeath abilities to a mortal by a "God' also. Greek mythology is full of examples of the Gods granting gifts to worthy mortals and also cursing unworthy mortals. Since Herc is a demi-god, the basic nature of his powers shouldn't really change, just amplified. He should be able to increase his strength by praying to Zeus, and also sharing power with mortals, at least temporarily.

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@thestarguy said:

I really think that it is "divine" to be able to share or bequeath abilities to a mortal by a "God' also. Greek mythology is full of examples of the Gods granting gifts to worthy mortals and also cursing unworthy mortals. Since Herc is a demi-god, the basic nature of his powers shouldn't really change, just amplified. He should be able to increase his strength by praying to Zeus, and also sharing power with mortals, at least temporarily.

Yes, good idea.

I know I'd seen someone (maybe you) post it before and I agreed then and I agree now; It would be logical for Hercules, as the Olympian god of Strength, to be able to grant others super-strength. Having the ability to bequeath power to others is a very godly thing, indeed.

#6 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: I don't see why not. He is supposed to EVENTUALLY become Skyfather of Olympus.

Moderator
#7 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@PowerHerc: I don't see why not. He is supposed to EVENTUALLY become Skyfather of Olympus.

Are you referring to energy/matter manipulation powers?

#8 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@PowerHerc: I don't see why not. He is supposed to EVENTUALLY become Skyfather of Olympus.

Are you referring to energy/matter manipulation powers?

Yeah, if Chaos War was any indication, his full potential is still yet to come and he'll be one hell of a skyfather.

Moderator
#9 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@PowerHerc: I don't see why not. He is supposed to EVENTUALLY become Skyfather of Olympus.

Are you referring to energy/matter manipulation powers?

Yeah, if Chaos War was any indication, his full potential is still yet to come and he'll be one hell of a skyfather.

I agree that Herc would be one hell of a sky-father at some point in the future.

#10 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: I'm just hoping somewhere down the line, they give him the chance to show that power off or at least power him up again.

Moderator
#11 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@PowerHerc: I'm just hoping somewhere down the line, they give him the chance to show that power off or at least power him up again.

I'd like to see that done, and done right, somewhere down the line, too. For now, though, I'd be happy if Marvel would simply return him to his traditional top-tier strength, stamina and durability power level.

#12 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@PowerHerc: I'm just hoping somewhere down the line, they give him the chance to show that power off or at least power him up again.

I'd like to see that done, and done right, somewhere down the line, too. For now, though, I'd be happy if Marvel would simply return him to his traditional top-tier strength, stamina and durability power level.

Agreed, it seems as if they just de-powered him to loosen focus on him.

Moderator
#13 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@PowerHerc said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@PowerHerc: I'm just hoping somewhere down the line, they give him the chance to show that power off or at least power him up again.

I'd like to see that done, and done right, somewhere down the line, too. For now, though, I'd be happy if Marvel would simply return him to his traditional top-tier strength, stamina and durability power level.

Agreed, it seems as if they just de-powered him to loosen focus on him.

Maybe so. Whatever the reason, de-powering Hercules was a mistake.

#14 Posted by seekquaze (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I do think Hercules should be able to develop more godly powers.

To summarize, I think the following would be good additional powers/abilities for Hercules to develop through godly manifestation:

1) Development of the ability to increase his already incalculable strength, stamina and durability to unlimited levels at will.

2) Development of the ability to rapidly, regeneratively heal on the rare occasion when he is injured.

3) Development of a high-level of super-speed ( including reflexes, hand speed, running, etc).

4) Development of the ability to fly using only his will and godly power.

5) No energy or matter manipulation powers.

These changes would keep Hercules a "physical"-type superhero while also vastly increasing his overall power set, and thus elevate him to a the highest level possible of non-energy manipulating superheroes.

1. Don't you think this might be at risk at making him come off as a poor man's Hulk? At the very least since Herc's strength is already so high what limite should it be at? Planet shattering? Enough to make a fool out of Thor? Considering the challenge Hercules already has finding a physical opponent that can challenge him do you think this power would just make his life even more boring?

2. I thought he already had this? Other Olympians like Hebe and Ares have demonstrated it.

3. To what level? Hermes-level? Or just very fast compared to say someone like Captain America?

4. Simply levitation or more ala Superman?

@thestarguy said:

I really think that it is "divine" to be able to share or bequeath abilities to a mortal by a "God' also. Greek mythology is full of examples of the Gods granting gifts to worthy mortals and also cursing unworthy mortals. Since Herc is a demi-god, the basic nature of his powers shouldn't really change, just amplified. He should be able to increase his strength by praying to Zeus, and also sharing power with mortals, at least temporarily.

I can get behind this. I think Hercules should be able to grant a person increased strength and physical abilities temporarily if they pray to him and have genuine faith in him.

@Deranged Midget said:

I don't see why not. He is supposed to EVENTUALLY become Skyfather of Olympus.

I wouldn't say this is true. Zeus did one time state he thinks Hercules may one day succeed him. But later he stated he always thought it would be Ares who would kill him which following Olympian tradition would make Ares the next skyfather. Zeus's Thunderbolt also flew first to Hera and later Athena. So currently at least Hercules has a long way to go before he could even be considered ready to be a skyfather.

#15 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

Gods of the various panthea generally get powers based on what they hold dominion over. Neptune wasn't born with sea powers but he was given dominion over the seas and therefore controls them. It would all depend on what Herc becomes the god of.

#16 Posted by seekquaze (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Yeah, if Chaos War was any indication, his full potential is still yet to come and he'll be one hell of a skyfather.

Is Chaos War really a good indication? Hercules was powered up by outside sources to something far beyond a skyfather by Amadeus Cho. Even then he pretty much sucked. He had problems using the powers for anything more diverse than "punch." Every decision he made led the heroes from bad to worse. He never bothered to consult his cosmic senses until he was pretty much forced to. It took shocking extremes for him to even consider he might be wrong. In the end, all Hercules did was his standard punching while others did the thinking for him.

@PowerHerc said:

I'd like to see that done, and done right, somewhere down the line, too. For now, though, I'd be happy if Marvel would simply return him to his traditional top-tier strength, stamina and durability power level.

Agreed.@PowerHerc said:

Maybe so. Whatever the reason, de-powering Hercules was a mistake.

I can sort of see why they depowered him. It was a way to explore the character in a new directions. They just did it sort of poorly. Six issues stories 9/10 drag out too long.

#17 Edited by seekquaze (617 posts) - - Show Bio

Thinking I should reply to my own topic.

I think a few basic powers like hearing prayers, granting strength, and teleportation between Olympus and Earth or at least to degree of dimensional portals are all necessaries. If Hercules can increase his own strength I think it should only be able to match whatever he is fighting and within certain limits. He is already so strong already it would be difficult to challenge him and a power like that could too easily be abused like is sometimes the case with the Hulk. Flying in a way sounds like it would undermine Herc. He is just so physical, down to Earth character I can't see him really flying. Speed would work, but something like greater than mortal and not greater than fellow gods.

Oh, I think I may have discussed this with PowerHerc in another post, but one power I would like to see is Herc being able to power-up his punches to at the very least hurt beings like Ghost Rider he could not hurt with just straight physical punches.

#18 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: Zeus himself stated it and even added that when the "old" gods leave this realm, it will be Hercules who stays behind to raise the "new" gods and remain as the Skyfather.

As for Chaos War, it was more bad writing and rushing the series simply to finish it instead of allowing Hercules to learn and gain experience from his new powers.

Moderator
#19 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc said:

I do think Hercules should be able to develop more godly powers.

To summarize, I think the following would be good additional powers/abilities for Hercules to develop through godly manifestation:

1) Development of the ability to increase his already incalculable strength, stamina and durability to unlimited levels at will.

2) Development of the ability to rapidly, regeneratively heal on the rare occasion when he is injured.

3) Development of a high-level of super-speed ( including reflexes, hand speed, running, etc).

4) Development of the ability to fly using only his will and godly power.

5) No energy or matter manipulation powers.

These changes would keep Hercules a "physical"-type superhero while also vastly increasing his overall power set, and thus elevate him to a the highest level possible of non-energy manipulating superheroes.

1. Don't you think this might be at risk at making him come off as a poor man's Hulk? At the very least since Herc's strength is already so high what limite should it be at? Planet shattering? Enough to make a fool out of Thor? Considering the challenge Hercules already has finding a physical opponent that can challenge him do you think this power would just make his life even more boring?

2. I thought he already had this? Other Olympians like Hebe and Ares have demonstrated it.

3. To what level? Hermes-level? Or just very fast compared to say someone like Captain America?

4. Simply levitation or more ala Superman?

1. No, I think it would make Hercules clearly superior to the Hulk. Planet-shattering would be fine but it wouldn't stop at that point, it would be limitless. I wouldn't want Thor to be made a fool of. If Hercules were to have this new ability and he and Thor battled it would be a good time for Thor to don his belt of strength and to fully use his elemental powers and hammer. I don't think Herc's life is boring. This ability would make it more challenging to find him suitable sparring partners but it could be done; it has been done for years in the Hulk's case.

2. As an Olympian god Hercules does heal rapidly, though not as fast as the Hulk, Wolverine or Deadpool, and not necessarily regeneratively. A clear example of Hercules' slower healing rate is when he was beat down by the Masters of Evil in the "Avengers" about 25 years ago. It took quite a period of time and the help of Prometheus for Hercules to fully recover (this can be seen in the recently released "Assault on Olympus" story-arc collected from the Avengers comics released shortly after Hercules was injured.

3. To a level much higher than Captain America but less than Hermes.

4. Ala Superman.

#20 Edited by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Level 32

I do think Hercules should be able to develop more godly powers.

Being that Hercules is and traditionally always has been a character who is defined by his physical abilities, I don't think he should develop any powers of energy or matter manipulation (unless he became the Sky-father/ruler of the Olympians). I do think he should, as the Olympian God of Strength, be able to increase his physical strength to any level whatsoever simply by willing it. I also think Hercules should be able to similarly increase his stamina and durability (including rapid regenerative healing). Considering his mythical founding of the first Olympics and then winning every event in honor of Zeus, I think it would make sense for Hercules to not only have super-speed (which has been stated) but to have and use a relatively high degree of super-speed. Finally, it would be cool if Hercules could use his Olympian godhood to develop the power of unaided flight.

To summarize, I think the following would be good additional powers/abilities for Hercules to develop through godly manifestation:

1) Development of the ability to increase his already incalculable strength, stamina and durability to unlimited levels at will.

2) Development of the ability to rapidly, regeneratively heal on the rare occasion when he is injured.

3) Development of a high-level of super-speed ( including reflexes, hand speed, running, etc).

4) Development of the ability to fly using only his will and godly power.

5) No energy or matter manipulation powers.

These changes would keep Hercules a "physical"-type superhero while also vastly increasing his overall power set, and thus elevate him to a the highest level possible of non-energy manipulating superheroes.

I think that they should give his Mace some powers. Like say, his mace's striking force can destroy things that he physically can't or would have more trouble with. Smash through force fields and barriers. Maybe have him powered by the Earth (something relating to Antaeus maybe), and have him use his flying chariot (he had it in an old Thing and Hercules Team-up story).

#21 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei: I like your idea of giving Herc's mace more destructive striking power. That would make it a much better weapon. Much more useful and fearsome than it is now.

I don't like the idea of tying his strength to the Earth in any way because it could and would inevitably be used against him as a weakness much the way he used it against Antaeus or possibly in a way similar to Redstone in the 'Squadron Supreme' Graphic Novel.

#22 Posted by seekquaze (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I like your idea of giving Herc's mace more destructive striking power. That would make it a much better weapon. Much more useful and fearsome than it is now.

I don't like the idea of tying his strength to the Earth in any way because it could and would inevitably be used against him as a weakness much the way he used it against Antaeus or possibly in a way similar to Redstone in the 'Squadron Supreme' Graphic Novel.

Doing something with the mace makes sense to explain why Herc even uses it. With Earth powers the first question I would ask is why Earth? Herc has never been associated as an Earth gods or having any special connection to it.

#23 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc said:

I like your idea of giving Herc's mace more destructive striking power. That would make it a much better weapon. Much more useful and fearsome than it is now.

I don't like the idea of tying his strength to the Earth in any way because it could and would inevitably be used against him as a weakness much the way he used it against Antaeus or possibly in a way similar to Redstone in the 'Squadron Supreme' Graphic Novel.

Doing something with the mace makes sense to explain why Herc even uses it. With Earth powers the first question I would ask is why Earth? Herc has never been associated as an Earth gods or having any special connection to it.

I agree. Why Earth?

If anything, Hercules should never have Earth-based powers considering his role in slaying Gaea's children the Gigantes, in ancient times, and Typhon.

#24 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

No new powers please. They need to write him properly and stay away from the gimmicks. Marvel is terrible at throwing new powers at characters to make them more popular. Herc could easily fit into Marvel as the perfect counterbalance to the dark and moody atmosphere portrayed today.

#25 Posted by thedude4731 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

No new powers please. They need to write him properly and stay away from the gimmicks. Marvel is terrible at throwing new powers at characters to make them more popular. Herc could easily fit into Marvel as the perfect counterbalance to the dark and moody atmosphere portrayed today.

Agreed! Herc the way he was is perfect but the mace thing does make sense

#26 Edited by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as powering up Herc's mace, I would say if anything give it a utility function and not an offensive one. Say for instance it could create vibrations that damage inorganic objects. The Greek gods were notorious for giving their weapons odd abilities and fuctions.

#27 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Why earth? Because Earth powers are associated Strength often. Hercules' main thing is super strength, but if they play that one up to much he'd make guys like the Hulk look bad. So they have to keep it lower. Other then that there's Super Speed.

The way I figure it, Antaeus challenges Herc. If Herc wins he gets Antaeus powers/connection to the Earth, and if Antaeus wins he gets something else (maybe the mace).

Also, I don't see it being used against him. Even when separated from the astronomical objects, he'd still have his normal strength.

Another thing they can do is have his mace absorb or redirect energy.

Maybe give it teleportation powers.

And Herc does have a connection to Earth. He was worshipped as the protector of the Heavens and Earth.

#28 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei: I get what you saying about strength often being associated with the Earth but Hercules' strength is unearthly/godly without having any connection or the associated accompanying weaknesses that would come with it (i.e., Antaeus).

A contest between Hercules and Antaeus would be possible if it took place in Hades or Pluto allowed him to be resurrected. Though I don't know if I agree with the stakes you suggest, I do like the idea of these two battling in the modern Marvel Universe.

The idea of making Herc's mace able to absorb and/or redirect energy is a good one; I like it. I also like your idea about giving the mace teleportation powers.

Protector of Heaven and Earth doesn't make his power reliant on being in either dimension/realm, so the connection isn't the primary basis for his power.

#29 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

^I know it doesn't make him reliant on his connection to Earth or Heaven. I'm saying that giving him geokinesis or making him more powerful when he's on Earth would make him more powerful and Godly.

#30 Posted by spiderbuck (2454 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I do think Hercules should be able to develop more godly powers.

Being that Hercules is and traditionally always has been a character who is defined by his physical abilities, I don't think he should develop any powers of energy or matter manipulation (unless he became the Sky-father/ruler of the Olympians). I do think he should, as the Olympian God of Strength, be able to increase his physical strength to any level whatsoever simply by willing it. I also think Hercules should be able to similarly increase his stamina and durability (including rapid regenerative healing). Considering his mythical founding of the first Olympics and then winning every event in honor of Zeus, I think it would make sense for Hercules to not only have super-speed (which has been stated) but to have and use a relatively high degree of super-speed. Finally, it would be cool if Hercules could use his Olympian godhood to develop the power of unaided flight.

To summarize, I think the following would be good additional powers/abilities for Hercules to develop through godly manifestation:

1) Development of the ability to increase his already incalculable strength, stamina and durability to unlimited levels at will.

2) Development of the ability to rapidly, regeneratively heal on the rare occasion when he is injured.

3) Development of a high-level of super-speed ( including reflexes, hand speed, running, etc).

4) Development of the ability to fly using only his will and godly power.

5) No energy or matter manipulation powers.

These changes would keep Hercules a "physical"-type superhero while also vastly increasing his overall power set, and thus elevate him to a the highest level possible of non-energy manipulating superheroes.

I SECOND THIS POST! ..... are you listening Marvel??

#31 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbuck:

Thanks for agreeing.

I'll echo your sentiment, too; LISTEN UP MARVEL!

#32 Edited by DarkKnight96000 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

I do think Hercules should be able to develop more godly powers.

Being that Hercules is and traditionally always has been a character who is defined by his physical abilities, I don't think he should develop any powers of energy or matter manipulation (unless he became the Sky-father/ruler of the Olympians). I do think he should, as the Olympian God of Strength, be able to increase his physical strength to any level whatsoever simply by willing it. I also think Hercules should be able to similarly increase his stamina and durability (including rapid regenerative healing). Considering his mythical founding of the first Olympics and then winning every event in honor of Zeus, I think it would make sense for Hercules to not only have super-speed (which has been stated) but to have and use a relatively high degree of super-speed. Finally, it would be cool if Hercules could use his Olympian godhood to develop the power of unaided flight.

To summarize, I think the following would be good additional powers/abilities for Hercules to develop through godly manifestation:

1) Development of the ability to increase his already incalculable strength, stamina and durability to unlimited levels at will.

2) Development of the ability to rapidly, regeneratively heal on the rare occasion when he is injured.

3) Development of a high-level of super-speed ( including reflexes, hand speed, running, etc).

4) Development of the ability to fly using only his will and godly power.

5) No energy or matter manipulation powers.

These changes would keep Hercules a "physical"-type superhero while also vastly increasing his overall power set, and thus elevate him to a the highest level possible of non-energy manipulating superheroes.

Agreed. Although I would add the ability to grow to giant size.

#33 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnight96000: Giant-size? Really? Why giant-size?

#34 Posted by PrimeDirective (451 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, Herc was at his best when he was making the Dark Avengers (including Sentry) look like C-listers like Typeface and Spot.

#35 Posted by DarkKnight96000 (730 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Why not, besides it would be pretty useful in intimidating opponents.

#36 Posted by PowerHerc (85115 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnight96000: Though I do agree being giant-size would be intimidating, I don't think Hercules needs this added ability that's usually associated with other mythical/biblical characters such as Atlas and Goliath. I think he's better as a large, powerfully built man, not a giant or as a size-changer.

#37 Posted by herculesfan43 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish that they would play on Hercules archery skills, I mean that was his weapon of choice and he is likely the best archer on earth with 3000 years of experience. However i Suppose they never will because if they do Hawkeye would just become redundant. Don't know why but i always wanted Hercules to be able to shape shift into some black lion hybrid human, Always appealed to me the thought of him tearing flesh to pieces with claws with the durability akin to adamantium, far greater agility, strength heigtened to an even greater degree, a more effective healing factor which enables him to regrow limbs within a week or a few days and maybe some animal pheromone like daken to attract even more ladies. If they did give him a bow maybe they should have it blessed by the gods, as in each arrow allows him to channel certain powers of each god. Then again that i guess is a bit god of war.

#38 Edited by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay. I think I've got it.

They should give Herules...

1) The ability to increase his strength to whatever he wants. Planet busting levels even. However, the higher he raises his strength the more harm he does to himself so he won't just go all out every time.

2) Super speed and FTL reflexes.

3) Teleportation. This one makes sense. In fact, in the Trojan Cycle he did teleport so it's true to the mythology.

4) Top Tier Stamina and endurance.

5) Planetary levels of durability.

6) Inreased striking power for his Mace.

7) Energy absorption for himself and his mace and a resistance to mental attacks, lightning, and magic.

8) Energy redirection using the mace. I think Amadeus Cho did this to Thor actually.

9) Make him a greater strategist and tactician. This would also be true to the myths. I remember reading that Hercules campaigned against many states in Greece and one each battle.

10) Give him some extra weapons. Maybe to short swords and his poisonous arrows.

11) He should also use his flying chariot more often.

12) And tweak his costume.

#39 Posted by seekquaze (617 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

Okay. I think I've got it.

They should give Herules...

1) The ability to increase his strength to whatever he wants. Planet busting levels even. However, the higher he raises his strength the more harm he does to himself so he won't just go all out every time.

2) Super speed and FTL reflexes.

3) Teleportation. This one makes sense. In fact, in the Trojan Cycle he did teleport so it's true to the mythology.

4) Top Tier Stamina and endurance.

5) Planetary levels of durability.

6) Inreased striking power for his Mace.

7) Energy absorption for himself and his mace and a resistance to mental attacks, lightning, and magic.

8) Energy redirection using the mace. I think Amadeus Cho did this to Thor actually.

9) Make him a greater strategist and tactician. This would also be true to the myths. I remember reading that Hercules campaigned against many states in Greece and one each battle.

10) Give him some extra weapons. Maybe to short swords and his poisonous arrows.

11) He should also use his flying chariot more often.

12) And tweak his costume.

1. Disagree for reasons already stated.

2. Already has these.

3. Should already have this.

4. Already has this.

5. Already has this.

6. Already has this.

7. Sounds too much like magic for someone like Hercules.

8. Same as above.

9. I actually wouldn't mind this, but one reason he won nearly every battle was due to being pretty much invincible in battle. He did lose one or two and nearly lost a couple of others.

10. Wouldn't mind this.

11. I think that belongs to Apollo, but he should be able to borrow or even own anohter.

12. In what ways?

#40 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

"9) Make him a greater strategist and tactician. This would also be true to the myths. I remember reading that Hercules campaigned against many states in Greece and one each battle." Hercules mostly won by brute force. They already have Gods for battle strategy like Athena. Ares=god of the blood shed and the worst parts of war. Athena=goddess of the fine points, position and strategy . Hercules= the one you pray to give you the strength to continue fighting, Nike=goddess of victory and so on and so on. They all play a very small part in whatever they are god of.

#41 Edited by Anzendenai (125 posts) - - Show Bio

After these powers he would be considered true god of strength

1) Blessing of Hercules

2) Combat Empowerment

3) Muscle Manipulation

4) Muscle Mass Enhancement

5) Power Fists

6) Hyperkinetic Exertion

7) Physics Distortion(via punch)

8) Strength Perception

9) Power Augmentation

10) Prayer Empowerment

11) Will Empowerment

11) Limitation Transcendence

12) Berserker Physiology(More like sinking into madness/insanity like that time with Hera poisoning him)

13)Aerokinetic Combat

14) Limited Control Over his Fathers's Domain

#42 Posted by Queen's Halo (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't he a half-god like in the Greek Mythology? Because then he really shouldn't have more powers than he already has. If he's full god, then yes.

#43 Posted by D3athstroke (3987 posts) - - Show Bio
@Queen's Halo said:
Isn't he a half-god like in the Greek Mythology? Because then he really shouldn't have more powers than he already has. If he's full god, then yes.
He become full god in both Mythology and Comics.
#44 Posted by JonSmith (4004 posts) - - Show Bio

@Queen's Halo said:

Isn't he a half-god like in the Greek Mythology? Because then he really shouldn't have more powers than he already has. If he's full god, then yes.

He started out as a half/demigod in both mythology and the comics. For his great feats and incredible power, he, like few heroes before or after him, earned the rare offer of godhood from the Olympians. He accepted, and boom, he's a full god. Much to Hera's dismay.

#45 Edited by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@Enosisik said:

"9) Make him a greater strategist and tactician. This would also be true to the myths. I remember reading that Hercules campaigned against many states in Greece and one each battle." Hercules mostly won by brute force. They already have Gods for battle strategy like Athena. Ares=god of the blood shed and the worst parts of war. Athena=goddess of the fine points, position and strategy . Hercules= the one you pray to give you the strength to continue fighting, Nike=goddess of victory and so on and so on. They all play a very small part in whatever they are god of.

When he went to war against the Minyans the Theban army was made up of young poorly trained soldiers and it was much smaller. So he lured the huge Minyan army into a narrow pass where their numerical advantage would be useless killed the Captains so that to disrupt the chain of command and then destroyed their crops so they couldn't continue fighting before sacking the city. That's strategy. Not just brute strength.

#46 Edited by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

What if there was a strength force. Like the speedforce is for speedsters... this would be for bricks.

@seekquaze 12. Probably give him armor. Keep the half helmet, sandals and mace. I'd probably keep the skirt, but make it more of a chiton or a tunic (if you know what I'm saying). Give him the Chaos War Belt with the lion symbol, maybe a cape (just because they look cool and keep his gauntlets).

#47 Posted by westy206 (733 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like Hercules to get his normal top tier powers back but I'd like to see him have a conversation with Apollo or someone who has developed their powers. "Hercules you still do not understand your true nature. One day you'll get there" just to hint he had potential to other powers but it suits Hercules do not really bother learning as long as he can give the gift of battle.

#48 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18047 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

You see Hercules is great with his strength alone, giving him powers like energy manipulation or something like flight would undermine his character greatly. It would be greater if he was able to utilize his strength in man different ways, the same way hulk does, vie thunderclap, ground-pound and so on. However, if you really want to give him any additional powers, you can always get a little creative. Hulk has additional small additional abilities due to the Gamma Radiation that surrounds his background, Thor has his mythical abilities that comes from Mjolnir, which again, is a part of his character. Herc, since he is the PRINCE of power and comes from greek mythology, he should be able to increase his strength to a certain degree, or use various greek weapons to defeat interesting foes. Since the first option will never happen considering Hulk is marvels power incarnate, i think the weapons would be a valid choice.

#49 Edited by westy206 (733 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull:

I think the only way we should see his power increase is if he can do impossible strength feats due to him being a mystical god being. Something like he could catch light, or hold a tornado, push back a wave. Physically it wouldn't make sense but I think as a god it would be pretty cool.

#50 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18047 posts) - - Show Bio

@westy206 said:

@theacidskull:

I think the only way we should see his power increase is if he can do impossible strength feats due to him being a mystical god being. Something like he could catch light, or hold a tornado, push back a wave. Physically it wouldn't make sense but I think as a god it would be pretty cool.

That's kinda toon force :P

I'd say that he should do things like hulk does, holding a tornado is funny, breaking the time barrier is badass :D

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.