Questions on the Taylor Madison storyline

#1 Posted by seekquaze (606 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Is it worth reading?

2. What issues is it in? I think it ends in Avengers #384, but what are the other significant issues?

3. What was Zeus trying to accomplish with the Taylor Madison construct? Everybody already knew Hera hates Hercules or was this just the first Marvel story to really bring it up? Could Taylor have even been considered alive?

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

1. Is it worth reading?

2. What issues is it in? I think it ends in Avengers #384, but what are the other significant issues?

3. What was Zeus trying to accomplish with the Taylor Madison construct? Everybody already knew Hera hates Hercules or was this just the first Marvel story to really bring it up? Could Taylor have even been considered alive?

1. It is if you are a Herc fan. His long-haired, beardless, pants & tank-top look (no doubt adopted in an attempt to capitalize on the "Hercules the Legendary Journeys" series which was popular at that time) isn't really that great, though.

2. Avengers #349 (her first appearance) and 384 (her nature revealed and death) are really the only significant issues, imo, though she does appear in issues 355, 357, 359, 367, 380 and 381 as well. She also appears in one Avengers Annual of the era, too.

3. Zeus was aware of Hera and Ares' contest/plans to hurt Hercules in a deep and permanent way but he didn't know how. Ares had already had his try but Hera had not yet made her move. In an effort to get Hera to show her hand/reveal her plan, Zeus created Taylor Madison as woman uniquely and perfectly suited for Hercules; his ideal mate. Hercules did indeed fall in love with Taylor and when Hera sought to harm Hercules, Zeus stepped in and revealed her true nature. I've read every significant Marvel story/story-arc concerning Hercules and this is the first time I saw Hera used as an antagonist for Hercules. It's kind of surprising, really, considering Hercules first appeared in 1965 and this story started in 1992 - that's a long time for Hercules to be active in the MU without anyone using one of his most bitter and compelling enemies from ancient mythology.

#3 Posted by seekquaze (606 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

3. Zeus was aware of Hera and Ares' contest/plans to hurt Hercules in a deep and permanent way but he didn't know how. Ares had already had his try but Hera had not yet made her move. In an effort to get Hera to show her hand/reveal her plan, Zeus created Taylor Madison as woman uniquely and perfectly suited for Hercules; his ideal mate. Hercules did indeed fall in love with Taylor and when Hera sought to harm Hercules, Zeus stepped in and revealed her true nature. I've read every significant Marvel story/story-arc concerning Hercules and this is the first time I saw Hera used as an antagonist for Hercules. It's kind of surprising, really, considering Hercules first appeared in 1965 and this story started in 1992 - that's a long time for Hercules to be active in the MU without anyone using one of his most bitter and compelling enemies from ancient mythology.t

It sounds like it was meant to let readers who did not know of Hera's hatred to let them know. IIRC, before that Hera had only had very minor roles and was usually neutral or helpful like in one Avengers storyline. Zeus' goal seems to have been just to publicly expose how petty Hera was. Still, it is surprising that he would be oblivious as to why Hercules would be angry at him for putting him through the whole ordeal. I may check it out.

#4 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: Zeus not caring about the emotional fallout of his actions and how it affects others seems consistent with his status as a capricious god. I don't think he even considered how Hercules might feel about his machinations, he just went ahead and did what he wanted. He's Zeus Deus after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.