Questions on the current Herc series

#1 Posted by seekquaze (613 posts) - - Show Bio

I dropped the Herc book because Chaos War was a failure for me, but I looked through it at the story the other day and it looked kind of interesting.  So could someone whose read it please answer the following:

1.  Overall, how is it?  Does it do a good job of balancing the humor and drama?  Is Hercules a complete moron like he was in Chaos War or has it balanced out now?

2.  Is Hercules supposed to just retain his demi-god levels of power or be comepletly mortal now?  No superstrength of any form right?

3.  Where did he get his weapons?  Did he just ransack Ares's armory before leaving Olympus?  Where does he store them and can he summon them when needed?

4.  Has it been established what Zeus's current position on the world is?  Why he hasn't restored Hercules's godhood? Why he put Mt. Olympus outside New York?  Or even his view on the Serpent?

5.  Why is Kyknos alive and why is he trying to ressurect Ares?  Afterall, Ares was the one who killed him again and Pak and Lente usually do a good job of knowing continuity like that?

6.  Why are the Warhawks trying to ressurect Ares?  Wouldn't the current one be more against them or are they trying to somehow revert him to what he was?

thanks

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (84340 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

I dropped the Herc book because Chaos War was a failure for me, but I looked through it at the story the other day and it looked kind of interesting. So could someone whose read it please answer the following: 1. Overall, how is it? Does it do a good job of balancing the humor and drama? Is Hercules a complete moron like he was in Chaos War or has it balanced out now? 2. Is Hercules supposed to just retain his demi-god levels of power or be comepletly mortal now? No superstrength of any form right? 3. Where did he get his weapons? Did he just ransack Ares's armory before leaving Olympus? Where does he store them and can he summon them when needed? 4. Has it been established what Zeus's current position on the world is? Why he hasn't restored Hercules's godhood? Why he put Mt. Olympus outside New York? Or even his view on the Serpent? 5. Why is Kyknos alive and why is he trying to ressurect Ares? Afterall, Ares was the one who killed him again and Pak and Lente usually do a good job of knowing continuity like that? 6. Why are the Warhawks trying to ressurect Ares? Wouldn't the current one be more against them or are they trying to somehow revert him to what he was? thanks

1. It's good, but not as good as 'Incredible Hercules' was. The humor and drama both seem to be lessened somewhat.

2. Herc is mortal now, but he seems to have a very slight level of super-strength, imo.

3. Herc does have a bevy of mythical weapons, but how he obtained them isn't shown. He doesn't appear to be able to simply summon them when he needs them, though.

4. Zeus' postion hasn't been addressed. Nor has why he has yet to restore Hercules to his normal power levels (especially in light of the fact that Herc brought him back to life for the second time at the end of the Chaos War. No explanation of why he placed Olympus in it's new spot and no mention of Zeus' thoughts/opinion/knowledge of the serpent (at least through issue 4).

5. Apparently Herc subconsciously restored Kyknos so he'd have a worthy opponent in the modern age.

6. The Warhawks still worship Ares and want him back, the same as Kyknos now. Apparently the Warhawks don't think Ares has changed from his more villainous persona (Niether do I, btw).

#3 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:

@seekquaze said:

I dropped the Herc book because Chaos War was a failure for me, but I looked through it at the story the other day and it looked kind of interesting. So could someone whose read it please answer the following: 1. Overall, how is it? Does it do a good job of balancing the humor and drama? Is Hercules a complete moron like he was in Chaos War or has it balanced out now? 2. Is Hercules supposed to just retain his demi-god levels of power or be comepletly mortal now? No superstrength of any form right? 3. Where did he get his weapons? Did he just ransack Ares's armory before leaving Olympus? Where does he store them and can he summon them when needed? 4. Has it been established what Zeus's current position on the world is? Why he hasn't restored Hercules's godhood? Why he put Mt. Olympus outside New York? Or even his view on the Serpent? 5. Why is Kyknos alive and why is he trying to ressurect Ares? Afterall, Ares was the one who killed him again and Pak and Lente usually do a good job of knowing continuity like that? 6. Why are the Warhawks trying to ressurect Ares? Wouldn't the current one be more against them or are they trying to somehow revert him to what he was? thanks

1. It's good, but not as good as 'Incredible Hercules' was. The humor and drama both seem to be lessened somewhat.

2. Herc is mortal now, but he seems to have a very slight level of super-strength, imo.

3. Herc does have a bevy of mythical weapons, but how he obtained them isn't shown. He doesn't appear to be able to simply summon them when he needs them, though.

4. Zeus' postion hasn't been addressed. Nor has why he has yet to restore Hercules to his normal power levels (especially in light of the fact that Herc brought him back to life for the second time at the end of the Chaos War. No explanation of why he placed Olympus in it's new spot and no mention of Zeus' thoughts/opinion/knowledge of the serpent (at least through issue 4).

5. Apparently Herc subconsciously restored Kyknos so he'd have a worthy opponent in the modern age.

6. The Warhawks still worship Ares and want him back, the same as Kyknos now. Apparently the Warhawks don't think Ares has changed from his more villainous persona (Niether do I, btw).

this. but as far as point 4 goes  I thought I saw Zeus laughing at Herc in issue 2 or 3 i think...I'd have to go back and check. He appeared as a cloud and was laughing at Hercules as he returned home after a defeat, I think that he is just waiting for Hercules to tell him that he can't do this and he needs him idk.
#4 Posted by PowerHerc (84340 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: That might be. Zeus, despite having been resurrcted and restored to the throne og Olympus by Hercules at the end of the Chaos War my well want Hercules to come to him and ask/beg to be restored to his normal level of strength and power.

#5 Posted by seekquaze (613 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: SPOILERS FROM LATEST ISSUE

I glanced through it at the store.  Pak and Lente finally address Zeus and it is pretty much what you say.
#6 Posted by PowerHerc (84340 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@PowerHerc: SPOILERS FROM LATEST ISSUE I glanced through it at the store. Pak and Lente finally address Zeus and it is pretty much what you say.

No kidding? Cool!

It's good to be able to accurately guess what goes on with and why (at least once in a while) for my favorite character. :)

#7 Posted by herculesfan43 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

seems to be like an ego thing wants his son to come and beg to be a god again maybe hes insecure that herc beat the guy that killed him in the ares series

#8 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

he is no longer a douch

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (84340 posts) - - Show Bio

@herculesfan43 said:

seems to be like an ego thing wants his son to come and beg to be a god again maybe hes insecure that herc beat the guy that killed him in the ares series

Yes. This could indeed be the case. Zeus isn't short on ego.

#10 Posted by thestarguy (351 posts) - - Show Bio

I think SkyFathers in general, and Zeus in particular pretty much require / demand that all other Gods in their respective pantheons respect, obey and even possibly worship their every word and decision.   The stabilty of their realms and perhaps even a portion of their own great powers depends on it.  So ego may play a role, but it may also be the case that Zeus may not be fully able to transform Hercules again until he himself is ready & willing to regain his Godhood.  As for his strength,  remember that his great strength is his Birthright, and that he strangled two monstrous serpants while he was still a baby in his crib.  So even though he is 100% mortal currently, he is still most probably the strongest non-mutant human on the planet just by birth.   My guess is that he is approximately twice as strong as Kingpin, who I believe has no powers but still has great strength.  My estimate is that he is in the 2-4 ton range while being completely mortal.  I think his biggest problem now is his mortal stamina, (or lack thereof).

#11 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Incredible Hercules was great. Hopefully they will give him the respect he deserves and bring it back in soul if not in name.

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (84340 posts) - - Show Bio

@thestarguy said:

I think SkyFathers in general, and Zeus in particular pretty much require / demand that all other Gods in their respective pantheons respect, obey and even possibly worship their every word and decision. The stabilty of their realms and perhaps even a portion of their own great powers depends on it. So ego may play a role, but it may also be the case that Zeus may not be fully able to transform Hercules again until he himself is ready & willing to regain his Godhood. As for his strength, remember that his great strength is his Birthright, and that he strangled two monstrous serpants while he was still a baby in his crib. So even though he is 100% mortal currently, he is still most probably the strongest non-mutant human on the planet just by birth. My guess is that he is approximately twice as strong as Kingpin, who I believe has no powers but still has great strength. My estimate is that he is in the 2-4 ton range while being completely mortal. I think his biggest problem now is his mortal stamina, (or lack thereof).

Good post.

I like your rational for why Herc's strength is still superhuman and how he has a stamina problem.

I think he also has a durability problem in and due to his current mortal form.

#13 Posted by D3athstroke (3918 posts) - - Show Bio
@seekquaze said:
I dropped the Herc book because Chaos War was a failure for me, but I looked through it at the story the other day and it looked kind of interesting.  So could someone whose read it please answer the following:  1.  Overall, how is it?  Does it do a good job of balancing the humor and drama?  Is Hercules a complete moron like he was in Chaos War or has it balanced out now?  2.  Is Hercules supposed to just retain his demi-god levels of power or be comepletly mortal now?  No superstrength of any form right?  3.  Where did he get his weapons?  Did he just ransack Ares's armory before leaving Olympus?  Where does he store them and can he summon them when needed?   4.  Has it been established what Zeus's current position on the world is?  Why he hasn't restored Hercules's godhood? Why he put Mt. Olympus outside New York?  Or even his view on the Serpent?  5.  Why is Kyknos alive and why is he trying to ressurect Ares?  Afterall, Ares was the one who killed him again and Pak and Lente usually do a good job of knowing continuity like that?  6.  Why are the Warhawks trying to ressurect Ares?  Wouldn't the current one be more against them or are they trying to somehow revert him to what he was?  thanks
1)I'll Say 9.5/10
2)Hercules Has To Play Smart This Time he is using his skills and Brain
3)He was Prince of Power And all Greek Heroes where or his students or friends but Hercules is Immortal and after death of heroes he was obviously only one who could wield them
4)No one Can explain it better Than Hercules Himself

5.They Don't Know Ares They Just Know That He is God Of WAR...
#14 Posted by seekquaze (613 posts) - - Show Bio
@thestarguy said:
I think SkyFathers in general, and Zeus in particular pretty much require / demand that all other Gods in their respective pantheons respect, obey and even possibly worship their every word and decision.   The stabilty of their realms and perhaps even a portion of their own great powers depends on it.
I think you may have a point in the stability of their godly realms being dependent on how much the king is venerated.  But this is more due to political stability  and political power than anything else.   The upper level gods tend to be pretty powerful and could easily screw up entire worlds.  Skyfathers would have to command great respect and fear to keep them from stepping too far out of line.  I think part of it is culture as well.  Some cultures like the Asgardians, Egyptians, and Chinese gods tend to foster greater respect for authority with the leaders often setting examples to follow.   The Olympians have always been fairly chaotic and resentive of authority.  Zeus does not set the best example either.  So insuring the other gods respect and fear him is necessary to maintain stability on Olympus.  That and he has a huge ego which demands it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.