Is Hercules H2H skill being overlooked?

#1 Posted by Wolfrazer (5912 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps I am missing something in fights in both comics and on here regarding Herc, but is his H2H skill overlooked by most? I feel with his 3,000 years of combat under his belt he would be able to utilize his actual fighting ability to take down opponents rather then just try to out muscle them....which he can out muscle a lot of characters but you know what I mean.

I know he has shown some of his H2H ability against Thor in comics, and some others but the skill seems to be overlooked by most in regards to putting him in battle unarmed against his opponent who is also unarmed.

Unless there is like a boatload of scans from Herc utilizing his H2H skill in comics, then I guess the question is rather moot. However I still am curious about such a thing.

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (80657 posts) - - Show Bio

Hercules hand-to-hand combat skills are generally overlooked by comic creators. It's not surprising, though, most top-tier strength characters who have/should have high-level H2H skills are rarely depicted using them.

#3 Edited by Wolfrazer (5912 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: Wonder Woman. :P But ya I figured as much....oh well was just something I was curious about.

#4 Edited by PowerHerc (80657 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: Wonder Woman. :P But ya I figured as much....oh well was just something I was curious about.

Yeah, Wonder Woman is the rare strength character who is shown using great H2H combat skills (and it's only been relatively recently) but I think that it's because of DC's p.c. editorial mandate to promote their most iconic female character.

#5 Posted by Wolfrazer (5912 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer said:

Yeah, Wonder Woman is the rare strength character who is shown using great H2H combat skills (and it's only been relatively recently) but I think that it's because of DC's p.c. editorial mandate to promote their most iconic female character.

More then likely..still would be nice to see some more H2H from Herc.

#6 Edited by PowerHerc (80657 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

@wolfrazer said:

I agree; it would be nice to see more skilled H2H from Hercules. Hell, I'd be happy just to see Hercules regularly.

I think The creators of Incredible Hercules did a pretty good job showing Herc's H2H prowess in that comic. He showed skill against Ares, the Thing, the Hulk and Sentry during that time. Previous to that Herc was rarely depicted using any true H2H skill.

#7 Posted by BigCimmerian (7845 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer said:

@powerherc said:

@wolfrazer said:

I agree; it would be nice to see more skilled H2H from Hercules. Hell, I'd be happy just to see Hercules regularly.

I think The creators of Incredible Hercules did a pretty good job showing Herc's H2H prowess in that comic. He showed skill against Ares, the Thing, the Hulk and Sentry during that time. Previous to that Herc was rarely depicted using any true H2H skill.

Yes, he showed some skill against Thing when he fought him in the ring and against Hulk in '' When Titans collide'' ? Am I right? Is there any other instance in which his skill is shown?

#8 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc
Could Powergirl be considered a "strength character". She uses H2H frequently more than most.

I didn't think Hercules H2H was overlooked. I just feel people don't mention it in the battles he's in for some reason.

#9 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

He can do titty twisters

#10 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a very major part of his combat technique during Herc.

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (80657 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

@wolfrazer said:

@powerherc said:

@wolfrazer said:

Yes, he showed some skill against Thing when he fought him in the ring and against Hulk in '' When Titans collide'' ? Am I right? Is there any other instance in which his skill is shown?

He shows a bit of skill against Ares in 'Incredible Hercules" #115, he showed more skill when fighting the Sentry and Venom during the "Dark Reign" story arc and he was skilled and wily enough to defeat his son Arimathes while blindfolded in the "Hercules: Full Circle" graphic novel.

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (80657 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc

Could Powergirl be considered a "strength character". She uses H2H frequently more than most.

I didn't think Hercules H2H was overlooked. I just feel people don't mention it in the battles he's in for some reason.

I think Power Girl should definitely be considered a "strength character" because of the top-tier level super-strength her Kryptonian heritage provides.

I think the writers tend to overlook Hercules' H2H skills because acknowledging them makes it harder to find viable/believable opponents to give him a good fight.

#13 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc
Thing is, if a writer wants to overlook a power, they will. They could still highlight on his H2H skill, and then completely ignore it later on.

I'll give a Power Girl example. In one comic, some girl keeps her down, by grabbing her hair and pushing her head into snow. Like, last year I believe? It was total PIS. They totally ignored the fact she could just fly up out of her reach.

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (80657 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc

Thing is, if a writer wants to overlook a power, they will. They could still highlight on his H2H skill, and then completely ignore it later on.

I'll give a Power Girl example. In one comic, some girl keeps her down, by grabbing her hair and pushing her head into snow. Like, last year I believe? It was total PIS. They totally ignored the fact she could just fly up out of her reach.

Agreed on both points.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.