I dont get it

#1 Posted by thedude4731 (41 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does Herc get no respect from the fans? ive seen people say "its because his outfit dosent do it for them" like really? i mean he sleeps with more Chicks than anyone out their! Call me out if i am wrong but if i post a Wolverine vs Hercules or spiderman vs hercules thread... majority of the reads would say "wolvies faster he would cut right through em" and "spidermans smarter and better fighter" but all i see is Hercules winning both (easy against wolverine) no question and yes i can see spiderman giving herc some problems because of his smarts but sooner or later hes going to have to throw a punch and i see herc taking advantage with his superior skills, speed, and strength!

I personally believe alot of fans out there post without any idea of what Herc as done or what hes capable of doing... i read the incredible hercules series and it really changed my whole out look of the character. READ IT PPL!!!!

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedude4731 said:

Why does Herc get no respect from the fans? ive seen people say "its because his outfit dosent do it for them" like really? i mean he sleeps with more Chicks than anyone out their! Call me out if i am wrong but if i post a Wolverine vs Hercules or spiderman vs hercules thread... majority of the reads would say "wolvies faster he would cut right through em" and "spidermans smarter and better fighter" but all i see is Hercules winning both (easy against wolverine) no question and yes i can see spiderman giving herc some problems because of his smarts but sooner or later hes going to have to throw a punch and i see herc taking advantage with his superior skills, speed, and strength!

I personally believe alot of fans out there post without any idea of what Herc as done or what hes capable of doing... i read the incredible hercules series and it really changed my whole out look of the character. READ IT PPL!!!!

This is true. All of it.

Aye, verily!

#3 Posted by seekquaze (612 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedude4731:

Part of it is I think it is a combination of ignorance and Hercules traditionally being a second-tier. Thanks to his much lesser appearances he has fewer feats than others and his major feats are less well-known. In the Pak and Lente series several of his larger feats lacked a certain grandeur. The gods as a whole were watered down to where Typhon did not come across as massive of a threat as I think was intended. Same with the Skrull gods. The Atlas feat of lifting the sky gets very metaphysical. Then you have the newer Herc series that was human Herc. Chaos War was Hercules powered up and not his own power. Throw in the beatings the gods take in the Thor-related material and their humiliations and the gods as a whole, and by extension Herc, do not come across looking that well.

I think another major part is that Herc overall is regarded as a clown and buffoon. The beginning of Incredible Hercules seemed to try and change that, but it quickly reverted to the other. Its hard to take a character seriously as a fighter if he comes across as a a fool in almost all of his characterization. This view is one I wonder if Pak and Lente intended to try and chance, but just never got around to it. Chaos War portrayed Herc as so idiotic that it didn't do him any favors either.

As for Spider-Man, Herc did fight him in the Assult on New Olympus prologue. Spidey was able to draw out the battle, but could do nothing to Herc. His punches only hurts his own fists and the whole time Hercules was holding back.

#4 Posted by ThanoStomp (788 posts) - - Show Bio

Like any of our favorite characters, we sometimes prefer that similar characters(level, power, etc) get beaten or have lesser showings than our favorites. Personally... its not that I don't like Herc, but because I like Thor better, I would prefer to see Herc below him. Just being honest.

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

@ThanoStomp said:

Like any of our favorite characters, we sometimes prefer that similar characters(level, power, etc) get beaten or have lesser showings than our favorites. Personally... its not that I don't like Herc, but because I like Thor better, I would prefer to see Herc below him. Just being honest.

Makes sense to me.

#6 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Amadeus Cho is the true prince of power.

#7 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

Just Kidding herc's awesome

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Herc 100x more than I will ever like Thor

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperShafe said:

Because Amadeus Cho is the true prince of power.

Lol!

@spiderbat87 said:

I like Herc 100x more than I will ever like Thor

Though I like Thor a lot, I agree with the sentiment of this statement.

Hercules is the greatest!

#10 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel loves to shit on the god characters so you'll never see Herc being awesome in any of the main books, thus never changing his standing in the eyes of the casual fans.

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Herc and Ares both suffered from not being Thor. Not to detract from Thor, but if he wasn't so loved by Marvel and fans alike, Herc and Ares would no doubt have better showings. 

#12 Edited by seekquaze (612 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: AngeTheDude is correct in the gods of Marvel usually get the short end of the stick. Thor only gets decent showings thanks to having his own book. There have been plenty of times since his return Thor has gotten the shaft. All gods suffer from not being Hulk or Wolverine.

#13 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Herc's main problem is his appearance. He had a popular look that hasn't been continued like Tom Seleck. The last time they updated his appearance it was a disaster he looked like a brunette Thor. I would say that he needs to be more "Greeked" and have more detail on his costume. I would like to see a Herc/Thor buddy series because they have great chemistry.

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress:A Hercules/Thor buddy series would be great! Good idea.

#15 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Why are people blaming Thor for whats happening to Herc? :/
#16 Posted by CodeSaint (160 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress: And don't even talk about that one.

@TheGoldenOne said:

Why are people blaming Thor for whats happening to Herc? :/

Well both of them are my favorite Marvel character,yes they're the top 2 with no clear who's the first of them for me.With Nova in 3rd.And I also would like a duo book about them,both need to be written as friends and rivals too.If not that I would like a God Squad ongoing book.

#17 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

@CodeSaint: God that look was bad.

#18 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Marvel Herc. I just read through Chaos War in it's entirety yesterday actually.

-

I have to partially agree with the idea that he isn't depicted above Thor nor equal to

because of Marvel maintaining Thor's status quo and catering to his characters popularity, which is either way more than Herc's. I heard it stated that Thor was created to be the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe, this is quoted from Stan Lee I think? Speaking of Chaos War, the final battle is won by both Cho and Herc respectively against the Chaos King. But the center character on the cover is shown as Thor battling Mikaboshi, and the adverts that ran promoted the final battle between him and The Chaos King, not Herc. during the conflict, Herc and Mikaboshi are having it out, and Thor seemingly shows up out of nowhere, God blasts Mikaboshi, then says all yours Herc, and their fight continues. The battle of course won then by Herc and Cho, and Herc comes out as the penultimate hero of the story by it's end, learning selflessness and saving the entirety of the Multiverse. I think that's a shining example of Marvel being promotional of Thor.

Chaos War #5

-

On the other hand though, Thor may actually be set as more powerful than Hercules generally. His powerset certainly speaks for this. Again as created to be the most powerful hero it would reason. It's not implausible to say that there are more powerful characters then Herc anyways, for example Odin, Zeus and Athena. It could also be reasoned in continuity that Odin granted his son more power than Zeus did to Herc as Zeus found Herc to be a lot less responsible and therefore was hesitant to give him the responsibility, Herc's characterization would support this as would Thor's.

-

There's always a bigger fish in the ocean, really, and it doesn't actually denote a character to not be the penultimate character. The One Above All is considered the most powerful character in the MU for example, yet is very unpopular and unknown, and rarely in the spotlight if ever. A characters story and characterization speak for them first, and to the readers and fans they appeal to. That is what matters in the end of the day. Not how powerful the character is depicted, or how many other people like them, but if you personally enjoy the character, and in Herc's case I most certainly do, his shortcomings included, and that's what matters to me.

#19 Posted by seekquaze (612 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE said:

I love Marvel Herc. I just read through Chaos War in it's entirety yesterday actually.

-

I have to partially agree with the idea that he isn't depicted above Thor nor equal to

because of Marvel maintaining Thor's status quo and catering to his characters popularity, which is either way more than Herc's. I heard it stated that Thor was created to be the most powerful hero in the Marvel Universe, this is quoted from Stan Lee I think? Speaking of Chaos War, the final battle is won by both Cho and Herc respectively against the Chaos King. But the center character on the cover is shown as Thor battling Mikaboshi, and the adverts that ran promoted the final battle between him and The Chaos King, not Herc. during the conflict, Herc and Mikaboshi are having it out, and Thor seemingly shows up out of nowhere, God blasts Mikaboshi, then says all yours Herc, and their fight continues. The battle of course won then by Herc and Cho, and Herc comes out as the penultimate hero of the story by it's end, learning selflessness and saving the entirety of the Multiverse. I think that's a shining example of Marvel being promotional of Thor

There's always a bigger fish in the ocean, really, and it doesn't actually denote a character to not be the penultimate character. The One Above All is considered the most powerful character in the MU for example, yet is very unpopular and unknown, and rarely in the spotlight if ever. A characters story and characterization speak for them first, and to the readers and fans they appeal to. That is what matters in the end of the day. Not how powerful the character is depicted, or how many other people like them, but if you personally enjoy the character, and in Herc's case I most certainly do, his shortcomings included, and that's what matters to me.

Hercules is not depicted as equal to Thor because once you go beyond the physical he is not. Thor is the god of thunder with a magical hammer that gives him all sorts of powers. Hercules is the god of strength in Marvel. Chaos War is usually not thought of as a great story for a variety of reasons. Chief being Hercules is a complete idiot throughout it that has to be given every power-up and led to victory at every step of the way. Thor and the entire God Squad are redundant thanks to Herc and Mikaboshi being so much more powerful than any of them. The last issue had EVERYONE come out of nowhere to get their panel of fame. Thor's thunderbolt should have had no effect on Mikaboshi. I don't see that cover being an example of promoting Thor either. Covers in modern comics tend to lie and at times be barely releavent to what happens in the comic. During the "Prince of Power" mini that was the prequel to Chaos War Thor was featured throughout it. At one point Cho calls Thor the "god of blunder" which fit with his depiction throughout that mini. Thor appearing grants greater opportunities to shine yes, but also greater opportunities to be treated like a fool.

I don't think the original OP was stating Herc had to be the most powerful. Just many people rank him lower than characters he should be above for one reason or another. And yes, Stan Lee did originally create Thor to be the most powerful Marvel Superhero and greater than the Hulk. But with all the Hulklove that has happened in the last few years if not decades its extremely doubtful if either Thor or Hercules could defeat the Hulk at this point.

#20 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: Though it is a common and well known practice in comics for covers to be misleading, I agree that the cover for "Chaos War" #5 was Marvel promoting Thor.

#21 Edited by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio

No respect? It's because he doesn't wear pants.

Superman, Captain America, Batman, Spider-Man etc... they are all respected. And they all wear pants. Hercules doesn't hasn't had a long running series of his own. Neither has Namor. It's because they don't wear pants.

#22 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

Again I ask myself why I bother posting at all?

#23 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Chaos War was a poor showing. It might just be me but that was pretty bad. Hercs pinnacle of decent exposure was in Incredible Herc. Its his good nature and light hardheartedness that endear him with me. I think he could carry his own title much like She Hulk did and like Deadpool does.

#24 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tigerstriper said:

No respect? It's because he doesn't wear pants.

Superman, Captain America, Batman, Spider-Man etc... they are all respected. And they all wear pants. Hercules doesn't hasn't had a long running series of his own. Neither has Namor. It's because they don't wear pants.

#25 Posted by Tigerstriper (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Just kidding, sheesh.

I actually dug Herc during his time with the Avengers in the 90's.

#26 Posted by AngeTheDude (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Herc wears pants now!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.