How would his powers be introduced?

#1 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

A while ago their was some talk about Hercules getting more powers. Some suggested flight and others teleportation. What I want to know is... how would they be introduced in a way that doesn't make them look like an ass pull.

#2 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4699 posts) - - Show Bio

Electric hands like Gaborah. Unlike Wonder Woman, he has to out-drink the gods to gain their respect and minor abilities.

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't need more powers, Super Strength has been just fine for the last 4,000 years. Why mess with a good thing?

#4 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

Have some other god point out how limited he is compared to other gods. He cannot even travel between Olympus and Earth under his own power. Have the god humiliate Hercules in public by doing stuff Hercules cannot like shapeshifting and healing others. Hercules is so angry that he gets Apollo to teach him how to access his other godly powers after a period of intense training.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: Or He'd simply point out that he's a house hold name while most other mythological gods require a bit of research to even find their names, point out the thousands of movies, tv shows and books about them and point out that if the other said god isn't Odin, Thor, Zeus or TOAA then they can just piss off back to where ever they were last seen before the world forgot about them.

#6 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

Have some other god point out how limited he is compared to other gods. He cannot even travel between Olympus and Earth under his own power. Have the god humiliate Hercules in public by doing stuff Hercules cannot like shapeshifting and healing others. Hercules is so angry that he gets Apollo to teach him how to access his other godly powers after a period of intense training.

But he's more powerful than them.

#7 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Herc's current powers are just fine, imo

#8 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

^Isn't he currently depowered to street level?

#9 Edited by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

@seekquaze said:

It depends on how you define power. Physically, Hercules is more powerful than most of them, but only physically. When it comes to versatility one could argue many of his fellow gods are as powerful as Hercules if not more so. If there is an emergency on Olympus how does Hercules get back without the aid of a fellow god or getting back to the Earth Mt. Olympus? If there is an alien spaceship how does he reach it without flying or long range energy projection? Can he summon his weapons to himself? If a building is collapsing and there are too many for Hercules to carry at once can he transform some of them into smaller forms to make them easier to carry? If people are starving can Hercules conjure food for them? If people are dying of injuries can Hercules heal them? If Hercules needs to get somewhere unnoticed can he shapeshift into something to make it so? Can he bestow his blessing on people and it have an actual effect like Athena's did on Cho?

See what I am getting at? Hercules is physically stronger than most of them, but one could easily argue that virtually all members of the 12 Major Olympians are more powerful than Hercules and even some of the other gods rival him in power as well. Now, Hercules may have the potential to be capable of doing the same things they do and more if he ever tried to learn to use his powers like that.

#10 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@LeeSensei said:

@seekquaze said:

It depends on how you define power. Physically, Hercules is more powerful than most of them, but only physically. When it comes to versatility one could argue many of his fellow gods are as powerful as Hercules if not more so. If there is an emergency on Olympus how does Hercules get back without the aid of a fellow god or getting back to the Earth Mt. Olympus? If there is an alien spaceship how does he reach it without flying or long range energy projection? Can he summon his weapons to himself? If a building is collapsing and there are too many for Hercules to carry at once can he transform some of them into smaller forms to make them easier to carry? If people are starving can Hercules conjure food for them? If people are dying of injuries can Hercules heal them? If Hercules needs to get somewhere unnoticed can he shapeshift into something to make it so? Can he bestow his blessing on people and it have an actual effect like Athena's did on Cho?

See what I am getting at? Hercules is physically stronger than most of them, but one could easily argue that virtually all members of the 12 Major Olympians are more powerful than Hercules and even some of the other gods rival him in power as well. Now, Hercules may have the potential to be capable of doing the same things they do and more if he ever tried to learn to use his powers like that.

1) Zeus.

2)He has a flying chariot. One that he doesn't use often, but he still has it.

3) Can any of the Gods turn people into animals? Besides Zeus? I don't know. I haven't seen it.

4) Can any of the Gods heal people besides Zeus? I don't remember seeing that.

5) Can any of the Gods conjure food for people? In fact... can Thor conjure food for people? I don't remember seeing them do that.

6) I don't remember what Athena did to Cho.

7) I don't see how you can argue that they're more powerful than him. Maybe Hades and Poseidon and definitely Zeus. But we've already seen Hercules beat Ares in a straight fight time and time again. And when it came to war, Hercules fought Thor. Not the others. He's more powerful than them. Look at the Asgardians. Most of them don't have magic (That I remember).

#11 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

1) Zeus.

2)He has a flying chariot. One that he doesn't use often, but he still has it.

3) Can any of the Gods turn people into animals? Besides Zeus? I don't know. I haven't seen it.

4) Can any of the Gods heal people besides Zeus? I don't remember seeing that.

5) Can any of the Gods conjure food for people? In fact... can Thor conjure food for people? I don't remember seeing them do that.

6) I don't remember what Athena did to Cho.

7) I don't see how you can argue that they're more powerful than him. Maybe Hades and Poseidon and definitely Zeus. But we've already seen Hercules beat Ares in a straight fight time and time again. And when it came to war, Hercules fought Thor. Not the others. He's more powerful than them. Look at the Asgardians. Most of them don't have magic (That I remember).

1. So he has to somehow summon daddy to go home? Even if Zeus is off on one of his flings or unavailable due to said emergency.

2. It is not his chariot. It is Apollo's sun chariot that he borrows. He could always try and use another flying chariot like Zeus has used, but that gets back to the core problem of somehow accessing it. If he cannot magically summon it he either has to call upon one of the other gods or travel all the way back to Olympus.

3. Pak and Lente confirmed the story of the gods fleeing to Egypt and turning into different animals is true. So the major ones can shapeshift. Artemis in modern times has turned into a deer. So its safe to assume all of the major ones can shapeshift to some degree. We also have some of them having different looks over the years like Hera and Athena.

4. Apollo and Prometheus have both demonstrated powers of healing in the original Assault on Olympus story. Hera has resurrected the dead so I figure healing should be simple for her. Pluto should have some control over healing as lord of the dead. I know he reversed the Gorgon's curse on Wolverine. It wouldn't be too much to say that the others have some degree of healing powers as well.

5. This is one I confess I do not recall seeing any of the gods do in Marvel comics. I don't see it being out of the way for some of them to do given their matter transmutation abilities.

6. It was stated in Chaos War that Athena's blessing on Cho as her new champion was what kept him from falling asleep with the rest of humanity.

7. That is how they are more powerful than him. Physical might is only one type of power. Apollo can fly and is a walking sun. What he lacks in physical might he more than makes up for in other abilities. Should Hercules ever fight him even he should be hard pressed to beat him. The Hulk currently when enraged is arguably stronger than Thor, but Thor is still considered more powerful because he makes up for it with his vast powers. Venus of Agents of Atlas singing voice can enthrall the Hulk and the Sentry. It could enthrall Hercules. Herc himself has been enthralled by Amora the Enchantress. Hercules is physically far stronger than either of them, but they possess a power that if used makes all of his might worthless. Their power than becomes greater than Herc's if his might works for them.

Ares frankly has always struck me as one of the weaker major Olympians both in myth and Marvel comics. His focus is on physical power and is weak with magic. In that sense Hercules is far above him. Whenever Thor fights Hercules he rarely if ever uses his other powers. Hercules can match the more exotic powers of the other Olympians in battle thanks to his strength and durability being so dang high. Once outside of physical contests and to some degree even within they have options he lacks.

This brings us back to your original post. You asked how Hercules could develop other powers. Having another god teach him how to use his more diverse powers is one way to do that. Hercules has great physical power. That's great. Every god has that to some degree. I'm going to be more impressed by the guy that can do similar feats of strength and a bunch of other stuff as well.

It is like an old Superman story I heard of from the Silver Age. Hercules competes with Superman for the hand of Louis Lane. He fails because Superman's strength is about his and Superman has all these other powers. Hercules borrows powers from the other gods to compete with Superman.

As for the Asgardians, what about them? Most of them do not have magical powers or if they do it comes from their weapons. The weapons of a god are usually among their symbols of power and can be taken as much a part of the god as their own arm. Either way what do they have to do with this conversation? I never stated Hercules was not a god. Hercules is far more powerful than most of them. Most of the major Olympians are more powerful than your average Asgardian. They may not always be able to win a direct fight, but overall the major ones at least are greater. There is more to power or types of power than brute strength. One could argue the power to grow or create like that if Dionysus is greater than a certain amount of physical power since creation is harder than destruction.

#12 Posted by Danvidar (41 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

When the Council of Godheads were testing Thor to see if he was worthy for Odins seat during, I think it was in the Spiral arc just before the Reigning, one of the tests was a group of starving people and Thor created food for them to eat. It was that act that caused him to fail the test, those people had now become too dependant on him. The correct option was to show them how to grow their own food. So it is something the can do but just dont.

#13 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@Danvidar said:

@LeeSensei said:

When the Council of Godheads were testing Thor to see if he was worthy for Odins seat during, I think it was in the Spiral arc just before the Reigning, one of the tests was a group of starving people and Thor created food for them to eat. It was that act that caused him to fail the test, those people had now become too dependant on him. The correct option was to show them how to grow their own food. So it is something the can do but just dont.

But that was after Odin's death when Thor had the Odinforce and was the Skyfather of the Asgardians, right? I'm pretty sure that Hercules could have conjured food during the Chaos War.

#14 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

But that was after Odin's death when Thor had the Odinforce and was the Skyfather of the Asgardians, right? I'm pretty sure that Hercules could have conjured food during the Chaos War.

Point being the other major Olympian gods can do a lot of things Hercules cannot. This has been shown in the comics and since Marvel has implied most of the myths are true in the myths as well. Hercules is superior to all of them physically, but what many of them lack in physical power they make up for in other powers.

Take Athena. She is as smart as Hercules is strong. Whereas Hercules uses personal charisma to get others to do what he wants she uses reason and manipulation. She may be unable to lift ocean liners or take punches from the Hulk, but she can conjure her own weapons, turn invisible, shapeshift, bestow a blessing upon others, teleport between Olympus and Earth, curse others by transforming them, and is the master of the Aegis. So power wise one can argue she is easily more powerful than Hercules. She often gets people like him to do what she wants.

So she would be ideal to teach Hercules how to access his other godly powers.

#15 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@LeeSensei said:

Point being the other major Olympian gods can do a lot of things Hercules cannot. This has been shown in the comics and since Marvel has implied most of the myths are true in the myths as well. Hercules is superior to all of them physically, but what many of them lack in physical power they make up for in other powers.

Take Athena. She is as smart as Hercules is strong. Whereas Hercules uses personal charisma to get others to do what he wants she uses reason and manipulation. She may be unable to lift ocean liners or take punches from the Hulk, but she can conjure her own weapons, turn invisible, shapeshift, bestow a blessing upon others, teleport between Olympus and Earth, curse others by transforming them, and is the master of the Aegis. So power wise one can argue she is easily more powerful than Hercules. She often gets people like him to do what she wants.

So she would be ideal to teach Hercules how to access his other godly powers.

Again... if the myths are true they're more versatile, but Hercules is still more powerful than them by a great deal. He's already beaten half of the major Gods in Greek Myths.

Athena hasn't shown most of those abilities, and if we're going to compare them. And even if she did, Hercules is still more powerful than her normally. If you don't believe me, make a battle thread about it.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

more power =/= more interesting

#17 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

Again... if the myths are true they're more versatile, but Hercules is still more powerful than them by a great deal. He's already beaten half of the major Gods in Greek Myths.

Athena hasn't shown most of those abilities, and if we're going to compare them. And even if she did, Hercules is still more powerful than her normally. If you don't believe me, make a battle thread about it.

You are making the mistake of equating physical power as the only kind of power or combat power. It is not. There are many kinds. Physically, Thor and Hercules are equal or close enough any difference does not matter, but Thor is more powerful because of his versatile powers. If Amaedeus Cho and Thor were ever to fight most people would say without question Thor would win. He is physically far more power. Yet Cho was once able to defeat him because being a super-genius he had prepared and the proper equipment to absorb one of Thor's thunderbolts letting him momentarily ko the thunder god. Does this mean Cho is physically stronger than Thor or even overall more powerful? No, but his own power was in different ways allowed him to counter Thor's brute force. Thena (their version of Athena) of the Eternals one time defeated the much stronger Gilgamesh (their version of Hercules)

Yes, he has beaten several of the major gods. One reason he wins is the same reason the Hulk sometimes wins. They engage Hercules or Hulk in direct physical battle instead of using their more exotic powers. pollo once claimed if he were to unleash his true power of the sun it could destroy the Earth. An exaggeration? To a degree perhaps, but his point was made. No one there contested it. Even if Apollo's threats were limited to an entire city would he then be more powerful than Hercules? Can Hercules potential destroy the Earth in the same amount of time as Apollo? Neptune has been stated to be physically weaker than Hercules, but he has control over the seas, storms, and earthquakes. He would lose an arm wrestling match to Hercules, but if he were to send a hurricane to destroy an entire city could Hercules stop it? How? If not is this evidence that Neptune is more powerful than Hercules even though he is physically weaker? She Hulk is physically stronger than Dionysus and defeated him in straight physical combat, but one time he defeated her by using a potion to knock her out. Just because one is physically more powerful does not guarantee victory in battle. The Huntsman is physically weaker than Hercules yet his power of fear is so great it caused the courageous Hercules to flee a battle.

Versatility of powers is one way to measure power and depending on the ability can make the difference in battle or in life. I have always stated Hercules is physically the most powerful of the Olympians. However, physical power does not always equal victory. Therefore combat and physical power are not always the best ways to measure total power or say if one person is more powerful than another. The versatile powers of the other gods can easily off set Hercules's physical advantage.

As for Athena, she has shown the abilities I mentioned in comics. Her genius is already proven. She manipulated both Hercules and Cho to get ready for Chaos War. She conjured her own weapons in battle against Thena. She was invisibly whispering in Hercules's ear during his labor against the Nemean Lion. She bestowed her blessing upon Cho protecting him during Chaos War. She cursed others as evident by the gorgons and Arachne. The Aegis was stated to belong to her and is itself a powerful weapon which was made for her.

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

So basically what I'm getting out of this thread is that people seem to think that for some reason we need to change literally the most famous hero in the history of Western Civilization into a Thor clone. You know because that's what a character that's lasted for 4,000 years needs is a bit of what's cool at the moment s**t tacked on.

#19 Posted by PowerHerc (82778 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

So basically what I'm getting out of this thread is that people seem to think that for some reason we need to change literally the most famous hero in the history of Western Civilization into a Thor clone. You know because that's what a character that's lasted for 4,000 years needs is a bit of what's cool at the moment s**t tacked on.

Interesting point.

De-powering Hercules sucked/sucks.

Over-powering him would change what has made him great for centuries and could potentially ruin the character, too.

#20 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

They already changed things for Hercules and Thor from the myths anyways. In the Myths Thor was less inteligent than Hercules. In the Comics, Hercules is less inteligent. In the Myths Thor was limited to his physical abilities and controling the weather and lightning. He couldn't fly.

@seekquaze said:

@LeeSensei said:

You are making the mistake of equating physical power as the only kind of power or combat power. It is not. There are many kinds. Physically, Thor and Hercules are equal or close enough any difference does not matter, but Thor is more powerful because of his versatile powers. If Amaedeus Cho and Thor were ever to fight most people would say without question Thor would win. He is physically far more power. Yet Cho was once able to defeat him because being a super-genius he had prepared and the proper equipment to absorb one of Thor's thunderbolts letting him momentarily ko the thunder god. Does this mean Cho is physically stronger than Thor or even overall more powerful? No, but his own power was in different ways allowed him to counter Thor's brute force. Thena (their version of Athena) of the Eternals one time defeated the much stronger Gilgamesh (their version of Hercules)

Yes, he has beaten several of the major gods. One reason he wins is the same reason the Hulk sometimes wins. They engage Hercules or Hulk in direct physical battle instead of using their more exotic powers. pollo once claimed if he were to unleash his true power of the sun it could destroy the Earth. An exaggeration? To a degree perhaps, but his point was made. No one there contested it. Even if Apollo's threats were limited to an entire city would he then be more powerful than Hercules? Can Hercules potential destroy the Earth in the same amount of time as Apollo? Neptune has been stated to be physically weaker than Hercules, but he has control over the seas, storms, and earthquakes. He would lose an arm wrestling match to Hercules, but if he were to send a hurricane to destroy an entire city could Hercules stop it? How? If not is this evidence that Neptune is more powerful than Hercules even though he is physically weaker? She Hulk is physically stronger than Dionysus and defeated him in straight physical combat, but one time he defeated her by using a potion to knock her out. Just because one is physically more powerful does not guarantee victory in battle. The Huntsman is physically weaker than Hercules yet his power of fear is so great it caused the courageous Hercules to flee a battle.

Versatility of powers is one way to measure power and depending on the ability can make the difference in battle or in life. I have always stated Hercules is physically the most powerful of the Olympians. However, physical power does not always equal victory. Therefore combat and physical power are not always the best ways to measure total power or say if one person is more powerful than another. The versatile powers of the other gods can easily off set Hercules's physical advantage.

As for Athena, she has shown the abilities I mentioned in comics. Her genius is already proven. She manipulated both Hercules and Cho to get ready for Chaos War. She conjured her own weapons in battle against Thena. She was invisibly whispering in Hercules's ear during his labor against the Nemean Lion. She bestowed her blessing upon Cho protecting him during Chaos War. She cursed others as evident by the gorgons and Arachne. The Aegis was stated to belong to her and is itself a powerful weapon which was made for her.

1) I'm not making a mistake at all. I already said that even if some of them have more versatility, it won't matter if the difference in power is to great. Which it is in this case. Go make a thread about it if you want to find out.

2) Cho defeating him doesn't even make sense. Thor should have been able to take much more than that without it phasing him.

3) Can you actually prove that they didn't use any of their other abilities? In the myths Hercules was clearly portrayed as more powerful than most Gods. One had him threatening to shoot the son out of the sky and another one had him wrestling death to the ground. He held up the weight of the Universe and created the Milky Way. He beat several Gods in rapid succession and chased them off the battlefield. His stories were clearly meant to depict a man who was greater than Gods. A Superman if you will.

4) Yeah. In the myths he could have probably destroyed the Earth faster than Apollo, considering he had the strength to dcarry the weight of the heavens.

5) I've already said that versatility can sometimes beat physical power, but not in this case. The difference is to great.

6) He was more powerful than Athena.

#21 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

I wouldn't say a Thor clone. A suggestion was made a while back about making giving Hercules a few extra powers to set him apart from other strong men and a bit more godly. It doesn't have to be a lot or energy bolts or shapeshifting. Some suggested things like that others were more basic like granting Hercules truly unlimited strength or only teleporting between Earth and Olympus so he doesn't have to run to daddy all the time.

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: He already has something to set him apart from the rest of the strong men in the comics, the fact the damn near all of them are in some part a rip off of him for instance. If anything they need something to set them apart from him.

#23 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

1) I'm not making a mistake at all. I already said that even if some of them have more versatility, it won't matter if the difference in power is to great. Which it is in this case. Go make a thread about it if you want to find out.

2) Cho defeating him doesn't even make sense. Thor should have been able to take much more than that without it phasing him.

3) Can you actually prove that they didn't use any of their other abilities? In the myths Hercules was clearly portrayed as more powerful than most Gods. One had him threatening to shoot the son out of the sky and another one had him wrestling death to the ground. He held up the weight of the Universe and created the Milky Way. He beat several Gods in rapid succession and chased them off the battlefield. His stories were clearly meant to depict a man who was greater than Gods. A Superman if you will.

4) Yeah. In the myths he could have probably destroyed the Earth faster than Apollo, considering he had the strength to dcarry the weight of the heavens.

5) I've already said that versatility can sometimes beat physical power, but not in this case. The difference is to great.

1. And as I have shown versatile powers can sometimes overcome greater physical power. You were the one who first brought this up. The topic of this thread was to present ways for Hercules to gain extra powers without it coming out of nowhere. I suggested a possible scenario. You were the one who turned it into a question about power and insist physical power is the end all and be all. I have presented several instances of physical power falling before a much different power. You have yet to counter those. Since you were the one who first brought it up you start another thread.

The fact is at the end of the day many of the major Olympians can do things Hercules cannot. Some of these abilities like shapeshifting are common to several of them. It has been stated in the comics and in the handbooks the gods have to train to use these other powers. Given how arrogant gods tend to be it isn't a stretch for some god to consider himself superior to Hercules by doing things with his energy powers that Hercules cannot do. Hercules could ask Apollo to train him in some of these other powers. That was all I suggested. Once again, you were the one who dismissed this scenario on the basis that Hercules is physically more powerful than the other Olympians. That does not change the basic fact that they can do things he cannot, but possible could do. Nor does it change the fact that some of them have powers that make his physical strength useless raising the question of is he really overall more powerful than them or only more powerful than them in one way and they are more powerful than him in another.

2. I agree. It is one reason I dislike the serious Prince of Power. It does not change the fact that it occurred and is part of official Marvel canon. There are a lot of things I wish I could refuse to accept, but have to because it is canon.

3. In myth, when Hercules confronted Apollo there is no mention of Apollo using his plague arrows. He confronted Hercules head on. In myth, when Hercules confronted Poseidon there is no mention of him summoning a storm or causing an earthquake. Once again he confronted Hercules head on. In myth, there is no mentioned of Ares turning invisible to confront Hercules. He confronted him head on. In one story, Hera conjured a storm that nearly drowned Hercules at sea and at punishment Zeus hung her from the heavens with anvils weighting her down. In myth, Hera drove Hercules insane enough to kill his own children. There is no mention of Hercules of any of the gods chucking islands or mountains at Hercules.

Hercules was the Superman of Greek myth. I do not question that. His purpose was to be the guy with the club at the door keeping the monsters at bay. Yet, all the stories imply or state outright the gods came down in physical form to battle him. They did not use their other powers that Hercules would be powerless against. A few did try shapeshifiting and that is a physical approach. Whenever Hera confronted Hercules in in indirect nonphysical way he was powerless against it.

Once again you are making the mistake of thinking physical power alone is the be all and end all of power. If Hercules were to be out at sea and Poseidon summons a storm wrecking his ship what is to stop Hercules from drowning. What was to stop Hera from making Hercules insane enough to commit suicide? What would stop Apollo from turning invisible and shooting Hercules with a plague arrow that he could not recover from or Hades using his helmet of invisibility to sneak up on Hercules in the night? What would stop Demeter from willing the Earth to stop producing plants causing Hercules to starve to death? Even Zeus couldn't get around the last one.

Before you ask in myth the answer would easily be three things. One, Zeus was his father and would not let that happen. There is already the Hera story of what happened when she went too far. Two, the gods needed Hercules and knew it. Three, Fate. Poseidon hated Odysseus, but because fate decreed he was to get home Poseidon could not do a thing about it. Instead he made Odysseus' trip home as miserable as possible.

5. Not in all the scenarios I have outlined. Venus or Aphrodite could defeat Hercules. Pluto with his death touch could defeat Hercules. If Dionysus were to whip out the right potion quick enough he could defeat Hercules. Apollo could use his music to lull Hercules to sleep and defeat him that way. It worked against the Demogorge Apollo could fly out of range of Hercules and roast him with his solar beams from a distance or could use his arrows. If fighting by the sea, Neptune could summon a tidal wave to wash Hercules out to sea and his physical might would do little to help him then. He would be at Neptune's mercy. I've already stated how the Huntsman's fear powers once caused Hercules to flee a battle. In each of these scenarios Hercules would either lose or has lost. In a straight fist fight he would no doubt win, but each of them has a power that negates his advantage. If using battle as a measure as to who is more powerful Hercules easily loses half or more of these scenarios. That would make the other contestant more powerful. Could he think of ways to overcome whatever advantages they have? Yes! Could he maybe overcome some of them through will power? Yes! Both of those are things even the weakest human could do if they have the proper resources or if the writer wanted them to.

6. More powerful in what way? Physical strength definitely! Mentally? No. If you needed punching to be done or walls broken Hercule is your guy. If you need a complex battle strategy or conducting a long-term war you need Athena. She would be the general and Hercules the soldier. Thus she has power over him. One could argue the whole point of Chaos War was brute power can fall before brain power. That is what ultimately defeated the Chaos King. Add on Athena's other powers and she is easily Hercules's equal or greater in overall power.

@joshmightbe said:

He already has something to set him apart from the rest of the strong men in the comics, the fact the damn near all of them are in some part a rip off of him for instance. If anything they need something to set them apart from him.

Good point. One can argue their other powers and gimmicks is what sets them apart.

#24 Edited by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@LeeSensei said:

1. And as I have shown versatile powers can sometimes overcome greater physical power. You were the one who first brought this up. The topic of this thread was to present ways for Hercules to gain extra powers without it coming out of nowhere. I suggested a possible scenario. You were the one who turned it into a question about power and insist physical power is the end all and be all. I have presented several instances of physical power falling before a much different power. You have yet to counter those. Since you were the one who first brought it up you start another thread.

The fact is at the end of the day many of the major Olympians can do things Hercules cannot. Some of these abilities like shapeshifting are common to several of them. It has been stated in the comics and in the handbooks the gods have to train to use these other powers. Given how arrogant gods tend to be it isn't a stretch for some god to consider himself superior to Hercules by doing things with his energy powers that Hercules cannot do. Hercules could ask Apollo to train him in some of these other powers. That was all I suggested. Once again, you were the one who dismissed this scenario on the basis that Hercules is physically more powerful than the other Olympians. That does not change the basic fact that they can do things he cannot, but possible could do. Nor does it change the fact that some of them have powers that make his physical strength useless raising the question of is he really overall more powerful than them or only more powerful than them in one way and they are more powerful than him in another.

2. I agree. It is one reason I dislike the serious Prince of Power. It does not change the fact that it occurred and is part of official Marvel canon. There are a lot of things I wish I could refuse to accept, but have to because it is canon.

3. In myth, when Hercules confronted Apollo there is no mention of Apollo using his plague arrows. He confronted Hercules head on. In myth, when Hercules confronted Poseidon there is no mention of him summoning a storm or causing an earthquake. Once again he confronted Hercules head on. In myth, there is no mentioned of Ares turning invisible to confront Hercules. He confronted him head on. In one story, Hera conjured a storm that nearly drowned Hercules at sea and at punishment Zeus hung her from the heavens with anvils weighting her down. In myth, Hera drove Hercules insane enough to kill his own children. There is no mention of Hercules of any of the gods chucking islands or mountains at Hercules.

Hercules was the Superman of Greek myth. I do not question that. His purpose was to be the guy with the club at the door keeping the monsters at bay. Yet, all the stories imply or state outright the gods came down in physical form to battle him. They did not use their other powers that Hercules would be powerless against. A few did try shapeshifiting and that is a physical approach. Whenever Hera confronted Hercules in in indirect nonphysical way he was powerless against it.

Once again you are making the mistake of thinking physical power alone is the be all and end all of power. If Hercules were to be out at sea and Poseidon summons a storm wrecking his ship what is to stop Hercules from drowning. What was to stop Hera from making Hercules insane enough to commit suicide? What would stop Apollo from turning invisible and shooting Hercules with a plague arrow that he could not recover from or Hades using his helmet of invisibility to sneak up on Hercules in the night? What would stop Demeter from willing the Earth to stop producing plants causing Hercules to starve to death? Even Zeus couldn't get around the last one.

Before you ask in myth the answer would easily be three things. One, Zeus was his father and would not let that happen. There is already the Hera story of what happened when she went too far. Two, the gods needed Hercules and knew it. Three, Fate. Poseidon hated Odysseus, but because fate decreed he was to get home Poseidon could not do a thing about it. Instead he made Odysseus' trip home as miserable as possible.

5. Not in all the scenarios I have outlined. Venus or Aphrodite could defeat Hercules. Pluto with his death touch could defeat Hercules. If Dionysus were to whip out the right potion quick enough he could defeat Hercules. Apollo could use his music to lull Hercules to sleep and defeat him that way. It worked against the Demogorge Apollo could fly out of range of Hercules and roast him with his solar beams from a distance or could use his arrows. If fighting by the sea, Neptune could summon a tidal wave to wash Hercules out to sea and his physical might would do little to help him then. He would be at Neptune's mercy. I've already stated how the Huntsman's fear powers once caused Hercules to flee a battle. In each of these scenarios Hercules would either lose or has lost. In a straight fist fight he would no doubt win, but each of them has a power that negates his advantage. If using battle as a measure as to who is more powerful Hercules easily loses half or more of these scenarios. That would make the other contestant more powerful. Could he think of ways to overcome whatever advantages they have? Yes! Could he maybe overcome some of them through will power? Yes! Both of those are things even the weakest human could do if they have the proper resources or if the writer wanted them to.

6. More powerful in what way? Physical strength definitely! Mentally? No. If you needed punching to be done or walls broken Hercule is your guy. If you need a complex battle strategy or conducting a long-term war you need Athena. She would be the general and Hercules the soldier. Thus she has power over him. One could argue the whole point of Chaos War was brute power can fall before brain power. That is what ultimately defeated the Chaos King. Add on Athena's other powers and she is easily Hercules's equal or greater in overall power.

@joshmightbe said:

He already has something to set him apart from the rest of the strong men in the comics, the fact the damn near all of them are in some part a rip off of him for instance. If anything they need something to set them apart from him.

Good point. One can argue their other powers and gimmicks is what sets them apart.

I'm not going to get into a big thing with you over his. Just this...

1) I made this thread because I was wondering how he would acquire more the new powers suggested in the previous thread. I only replied to you because you were saying that 'they'd humiliate him'. It doesn't make sense considering he's already far more powerful than them, versatility or not.

2) In both the Comics and the myths he was more powerful than them. That's a fact. He beat them on several occasions. That's a fact. He saved them... including Hera from Giants that were overpowering them. That's a fact. But if you don't think so, by all means... make a thread about it.

3) Versatility and intelligence can sometimes beat power, but not always. For example, Hank Pym may be one of the smartest characters in Marvel. But a Mjolnir-less Thor can still probably beat him on physical power alone.

And about 2) Spiderman vs Firelord happened. How many people agree that Spideys at that level...

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of these comic characters with "more versatile" powers come and go all the time and with the exception of a few dozen they rarely ever any lasting impact on their respective universes. I think the sheer longevity of this merely super strong character is more than enough of an argument to disprove anyone's claims that he needs new powers to be relevant, he currently is and always has been more relevant than pretty much every super hero without an S on his chest combined.

#26 Edited by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

1) I made this thread because I was wondering how he would acquire more the new powers suggested in the previous thread. I only replied to you because you were saying that 'they'd humiliate him'. It doesn't make sense considering he's already far more powerful than them, versatility or not.

2) In both the Comics and the myths he was more powerful than them. That's a fact. He beat them on several occasions. That's a fact. He saved them... including Hera from Giants that were overpowering them. That's a fact. But if you don't think so, by all means... make a thread about it.

3) Versatility and intelligence can sometimes beat power, but not always. For example, Hank Pym may be one of the smartest characters in Marvel. But a Mjolnir-less Thor can still probably beat him on physical power alone.

And about 2) Spiderman vs Firelord happened. How many people agree that Spideys at that level...

1. If a god can conjure a pie to throw in Hercules's face and safety teleport away away before Hercules can punch him that is a humiliation. He doesn't have to beat Hercules up in a fight to humiliate him.

And you stated Hercules is "more powerful than them" which as I already addressed aside from power being highly subjective beyond Hercules's physical power it does not keep him from being humiliated. Zeus is virtually all forms is the most powerful on on Olympus and he regularly looks like a fool.

2. Once again, I suggested something you refuse to address. As you state the point of the thread was how to get Herc new powers. Herc cannot teleport between dimensions, shapeshift, or do magic of any kind like many of the other major Olympians. Yes, he is physically stronger than them, but the fact is he has never demonstrated these other powers. One way to gain new powers is to learn them by training with another god. Balder learned his light powers through training and same with Zeus and his thunder powers. You never did address this point and instead continue to address something totally different.

3. Just because Character A can beat up Character B does not make Character A more powerful in every way. Bruce Lee no doubt could beat up the President of the United States, but the President is still the most powerful man in the world. I already addressed the point more than enough on how his physical strength would be useless in many situations both in myth and the comics. Since their the one who brought it up in the first place you make a thread about it.

4. I already admitted Hercules's physical strength in battle outstrips the versatility powers of several of his fellow gods. A lot of this depends on the level they are acting at. In your case yes, an unpreppsed Hank Pym in most of his incarnations would fall to Thor w/o Mjolnir. That does not change what I have stated before when physical strength would fail as in the case of Venus and the Sentry.

#27 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Most of these comic characters with "more versatile" powers come and go all the time and with the exception of a few dozen they rarely ever any lasting impact on their respective universes. I think the sheer longevity of this merely super strong character is more than enough of an argument to disprove anyone's claims that he needs new powers to be relevant, he currently is and always has been more relevant than pretty much every super hero without an S on his chest combined.

I agree he doesn't need new powers to be relevant. I think one reason writers prefer superstrong characters is there is a certain simplicity to them. They fight essentially the same way humans do. Once you begin stacking on extra powers especially with ones that are already at the top of the strength class you have to begin getting creative on threats they face or begin dumbing them down.

#28 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@LeeSensei said:

1. If a god can conjure a pie to throw in Hercules's face and safety teleport away away before Hercules can punch him that is a humiliation. He doesn't have to beat Hercules up in a fight to humiliate him.

And you stated Hercules is "more powerful than them" which as I already addressed aside from power being highly subjective beyond Hercules's physical power it does not keep him from being humiliated. Zeus is virtually all forms is the most powerful on on Olympus and he regularly looks like a fool.

2. Once again, I suggested something you refuse to address. As you state the point of the thread was how to get Herc new powers. Herc cannot teleport between dimensions, shapeshift, or do magic of any kind like many of the other major Olympians. Yes, he is physically stronger than them, but the fact is he has never demonstrated these other powers. One way to gain new powers is to learn them by training with another god. Balder learned his light powers through training and same with Zeus and his thunder powers. You never did address this point and instead continue to address something totally different.

3. Just because Character A can beat up Character B does not make Character A more powerful in every way. Bruce Lee no doubt could beat up the President of the United States, but the President is still the most powerful man in the world. I already addressed the point more than enough on how his physical strength would be useless in many situations both in myth and the comics. Since their the one who brought it up in the first place you make a thread about it.

4. I already admitted Hercules's physical strength in battle outstrips the versatility powers of several of his fellow gods. A lot of this depends on the level they are acting at. In your case yes, an unpreppsed Hank Pym in most of his incarnations would fall to Thor w/o Mjolnir. That does not change what I have stated before when physical strength would fail as in the case of Venus and the Sentry.

Facts are facts. Disagree with them if you want.

#29 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

Yes, facts are facts and you are free to disagree with them if you want.

#30 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@LeeSensei said:

Yes, facts are facts and you are free to disagree with them if you want.

As long as you know that most people disagree with you. Did you make that thread in the Battledome yet?

#31 Edited by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

As long as you know that most people disagree with you. Did you make that thread in the Battledome yet?

First , you need some proof that most people disagree with me. I have not encountered any that they feel that way one way or another. Two, I was talking both power for combat and overall power outside of combat. Two different things. Three, as I stated before since you were the one who first brought it all up while ignoring the key part of my original post which was in response to the thread you started you are the one who should make the thread. Four, a lot of this seems to me to be a question of Power vs Power which is not allowed on the Battle Forum of Comicvine.

#32 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: Its not like all he does is punch things, they've come up with several creative uses for his power, not to mention his proven abilities as a strategist and the fact that he's a pretty damned entertaining character.

#33 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Its not like all he does is punch things, they've come up with several creative uses for his power, not to mention his proven abilities as a strategist and the fact that he's a pretty damned entertaining character.

I agree Hercules is an entertaining character. I was never trying to take anything away from Hercules. If I gave that impression it was unintended. If you do not mind, to you what are some examples of creative uses of his power and proven abilities as a strategist? The ones I can think of off the top of my mind are several instances in Bob Layton's Hercules minis against Red Wolf, Galactus, and The Silver guy from the last one. Most of the recent examples I can think of do regulate him to "punching things" and relying on others for strategy. Unfortunately, the last half of Incredible Hercules from the Thorcules arc onward did not exactly portray Hercules as a strategist or someone who could do anything besides "punching things."

#34 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze: His use of strategy does vary greatly between writers and a lot of the more creative uses have been in the stories more heavily influenced by the myths like redirecting rivers and the like and being that all 12 of his famous labors have been written into the cannon you could argue that his use of strategy and wit in some of those could be counted like when he had to trick Atlas into taking back the sky or being able to quickly assess the weakness of the Hydra.

#35 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

His use of strategy does vary greatly between writers and a lot of the more creative uses have been in the stories more heavily influenced by the myths like redirecting rivers and the like and being that all 12 of his famous labors have been written into the cannon you could argue that his use of strategy and wit in some of those could be counted like when he had to trick Atlas into taking back the sky or being able to quickly assess the weakness of the Hydra.

Sadly, Marvel has downplayed his intelligence. Cleaning the stables in Marvel was done by Gilgamesh and Hercules himself downplayed by Herc himself by commenting Atlas was the only guy dumb enough to get tricked by him. IIRC, it was even implied Athena gave him the idea on how to defeat the Nemean Lion. In actual myth the only labor Athena helped him out on was getting rid of the Stymphalian Birds.

#36 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

^So basically everything from the Myths isn't canon to the comics. Thanks.

Not to mention he's already overcome versatility with sheer power before.

I don't need to make the thread because I already know the answer. You started by saying that they could humiliate him.

#37 Edited by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

I don't need to make the thread because I already know the answer. You started by saying that they could humiliate him.

And at the same time most of the myths were established by Pak and Lente are canon. How then does one decide which myths are canon and which are not besides the creation myths which Pak and Lente even stated was true? The Augean Stables myth was stated outright to be not done by Hercules so the way popularly known is untrue in the Marvel Universe. However, even some of the more metaphysical ones like Hercules holding up the sky or Athena born from Zeus's head have been established as true. So you cannot throw the myths out nor casually dismiss the way they are explained by the gods physically confronting Hercules head on.

Yes, Hercules has overcame versatility with sheer power. Sheer power has also been overcome with versatility. What's your point? This was never entirely about powers in battle. I thought I had made that clear from the start. Zeus is the most powerful of the Olympians, but when Demeter willed the Earth to stop growing food all of Zeus's power was worthless to prevent the starvation of humanity. ;

Power is often fluid. Hercules is physically the strongest of the Olympians and in physical combat their greatest warrior, but that does not automatically make him the second most powerful god on Olympus. Demeter cannot bench press mountains, but she can make crops grow. Hercules could plow the fields all he wanted, but humanity would starve without Demeter's blessing. Which then is the greater power?

And like I stated in the post above, Zeus has been humiliated plenty of times in myth and in Marvel yet he is the most powerful of the Olympians. Just because Hercules is physcially stronger than most gods would not prevent that from happening to him. You were the one who insisted this was impossible due to the erronous claims of Hercules being more powerful than the other Olympians.

#38 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@seekquaze said:

@LeeSensei said:

And at the same time most of the myths were established by Pak and Lente are canon. How then does one decide which myths are canon and which are not besides the creation myths which Pak and Lente even stated was true? The Augean Stables myth was stated outright to be not done by Hercules so the way popularly known is untrue in the Marvel Universe. However, even some of the more metaphysical ones like Hercules holding up the sky or Athena born from Zeus's head have been established as true. So you cannot throw the myths out nor casually dismiss the way they are explained by the gods physically confronting Hercules head on.

Yes, Hercules has overcame versatility with sheer power. Sheer power has also been overcome with versatility. What's your point? This was never entirely about powers in battle. I thought I had made that clear from the start. Zeus is the most powerful of the Olympians, but when Demeter willed the Earth to stop growing food all of Zeus's power was worthless to prevent the starvation of humanity. ;

Power is often fluid. Hercules is physically the strongest of the Olympians and in physical combat their greatest warrior, but that does not automatically make him the second most powerful god on Olympus. Demeter cannot bench press mountains, but she can make crops grow. Hercules could plow the fields all he wanted, but humanity would starve without Demeter's blessing. Which then is the greater power?

And like I stated in the post above, Zeus has been humiliated plenty of times in myth and in Marvel yet he is the most powerful of the Olympians. Just because Hercules is physcially stronger than most gods would not prevent that from happening to him. You were the one who insisted this was impossible due to the erronous claims of Hercules being more powerful than the other Olympians.

My point is that none of the Olympians have feats that would suggest that they can beat Hercules let alone embarass him except for Zeus... and maybe Poseidon and Hades.

But whatever. I'm going to do the mature thing and just say let's agree to disagree. You can come back to get the final word in because I know you want really want to have the last word.

#39 Edited by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@LeeSensei said:

My point is that none of the Olympians have feats that would suggest that they can beat Hercules let alone embarass him except for Zeus... and maybe Poseidon and Hades.

Embarrass Hercules in battle. Unlikely any of the Olympians could do that on solid ground. Embarrass him at all? Yes they could. Hercules himself more than did that in New Labors of Hercules mini series. You keep being far too general in some of the terms you use.

@LeeSensei said:

But whatever. I'm going to do the mature thing and just say let's agree to disagree. You can come back to get the final word in because I know you want really want to have the last word.

Disagree on what? I made it clear from the beginning I was never exclusively talking about power in battle which you were constantly doing. That was the whole point you kept ignoring.

The whole point of the thread you started was for Hercules to get other powers in a way that did not come out of thin air. One way to get that would be for him to train under a god to show him how to use other powers like shapeshifting. You were the one who insisted that could not happen on the basis Hercules was physically more powerful than them while ignoring that it is fact many of them can do things he cannot regardless of physical power and that it has been stated in the handbooks and the comics that gods often gain extra powers through training.

#40 Posted by Wolfrazer (6397 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe:  Well being fair Josh, if Herc was anything like his actual myth counterpart he would be the most strongest character in Marvel instead of the Hulk.....which by all accounts he really should be but he isn't.
#41 Posted by PowerHerc (82778 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading all of the posts on this thread there is one thing I'm certain of; if Hercules were to be granted or somehow gain new/additional powers he should not be humiliated in the process.

#42 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

After reading all of the posts on this thread there is one thing I'm certain of; if Hercules were to be granted or somehow gain new/additional powers he should not be humiliated in the process.

ThisI can and do fully agree with.

#43 Posted by PowerHerc (82778 posts) - - Show Bio

I forgot to mention my answer to the question this thread poses.

If Hercules were to be given additional superhuman/godly powers I think it would make sense and be best if he were shown earning them through performance of epic feats of heroism, sacrifice and/or bravery. This could be done in a mini-series showing Hercules regaining his traditional powers of superhuman strength, superhuman stamina and superhuman durability while also winning/earning new powers.

These new powers could be bequeathed upon Hercules by Zeus, Gaea or the entire Council of Godheads. All of that would make sense. The only question would be; Which new powers would Hercules get?

#44 Edited by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by PowerHerc (82778 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc: flight

Yes, flight.

That alone would make Hercules practically unbeatable on a strictly physical, non-energy wielding level.

#46 Posted by seekquaze (611 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

These new powers could be bequeathed upon Hercules by Zeus, Gaea or the entire Council of Godheads. All of that would make sense. The only question would be; Which new powers would Hercules get?

Aside from some form of interdimensional teleportation to get from Olympus and Earth on his own I think any new powers should be related to his fists. I do not think he should have unlimited strength that he can will to any level. That opens up a can of worms I think is best left closed. Hulk tends to be regarded either as a joke or someone who can beat anyone thanks to that potential power. His strength is already worthy of respect on a cosmic level without increasing it. Imagine how bored he would be if it increased further. Instead, Herc's powers should aid him in what he already can do. I think like Zeus he should be able to negate healing factors to some degree. It would make sense because many of the beings he fights have them on some level. I could also see him accessing his inner divine powers to hurt creatures that can normally hurt by physical attacks like the Ghost Rider. Powers like this would allow him to fight and win against opponents he might not be able to normally harm.

#47 Posted by PowerHerc (82778 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

Aside from some form of interdimensional teleportation to get from Olympus and Earth on his own I think any new powers should be related to his fists. I do not think he should have unlimited strength that he can will to any level. That opens up a can of worms I think is best left closed. Hulk tends to be regarded either as a joke or someone who can beat anyone thanks to that potential power. His strength is already worthy of respect on a cosmic level without increasing it. Imagine how bored he would be if it increased further. Instead, Herc's powers should aid him in what he already can do. I think like Zeus he should be able to negate healing factors to some degree. It would make sense because many of the beings he fights have them on some level. I could also see him accessing his inner divine powers to hurt creatures that can normally hurt by physical attacks like the Ghost Rider. Powers like this would allow him to fight and win against opponents he might not be able to normally harm.

I think Hercules having the godly ability of interdimensional teleportation would make sense and I particularly like your ideas about Herc being able to negate healing factors of his opponents and him having the divine ability to inflict physical harm/damage on beings normally above such things due to mystic or divine powers of their own. The ability to physically harm such beings makes me think of Captain Marvel (Billy Batson) and his ability to combat magic on a physical level. Cool ideas.

We disagree about Hercules having unlimited strength, though. I think that can of worms has already been opened writer-wise and editorially for a long time now in light of how many strength feats occur to seemingly top what has already been done by/for another character. I don't think Herc would be anymore bored if his strength were officially unlimited, either. His normal strength level is already practically unlimited and he's managed to find worthy opponents despite it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.