Hercules and the Olympics.

#1 Edited by Wolfrazer (7140 posts) - - Show Bio

At any point in time, has there been a time where Hercules has referenced the Olympics? Or perhaps comparing the Modern Olympics to the Ancient? Has he taken part in the Modern Olympics, or does he not deem it a great contest for him?  Did he get banned from the Olympics? (Lol would be funny.)

I know there is one scan of him referencing the Ancient Olympics at the Avengers Academy where he is naked(lol). But that is all I can really find, just wondering if theres anything else.

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

To my knowledge Hercules has not been referred to as or shown to be participating in the Olympics or comparing the ancient and the modern games.

Connecting Marvel's Hercules to the original Olympic Games in ancient Greece would make perfect sense due to the fact that, according to myth, it was Hercules who founded the Olympics in his father's name and then won every event to honor him. This is a little known piece of Greek Mythology and quite interesting, too, when considering the potential stories that Marvel could make relating to Hercules founding of the Olympics.

#3 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Thats because Thor wasn't in the Hammer Throw! lol

#4 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

@PowerHerc: Thats because Thor wasn't in the Hammer Throw! lol

Yeah, you probably got that right. I'll concede that event but that's the only one Thor would beat Hercules in. :)

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: I do think Herc could take him in the post game drinking contest tho

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Yes, Hercules would win that, too.

Naturally!

#7 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: @joshmightbe: Herc is a lush but very few can drink with thePrince of Viking Gods Aka Norse God of Thunder drinker of seas!

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33879 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a different Herc that founded the Olympics, not the demigod son of Zeus

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74:

They might have comparable natural drinking ability, much like all their other physical attribures, but Hercules pratices/exercises his drinking ability far more. Hercules is in better drinking shape.

#10 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: @PowerHerc:

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74:

That contest looks about even between Hercules and Thor. They did defeat all of the Frost Giants, though. :)

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: @PowerHerc: Herc does look slightly more conscious in that pic

#13 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Yeah, you're right.

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: I made a battle thread of this drinking contest just now

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (84956 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@PowerHerc: I made a battle thread of this drinking contest just now

Hah! Of course!

Why didn't I think of that! :P

#16 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous: it depends on the story, but the most common myths about the Olympics has hercules (son of zeus) or zeus founding them.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33879 posts) - - Show Bio
@LeeSensei: that's a common misconception, it was Hercules that founded the Olympics (in myth) but it's not the one you mean. it was dactyl  
#18 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@LeeSensei: that's a common misconception, it was Hercules that founded the Olympics (in myth) but it's not the one you mean. it was dactyl

Nope. One story does have heracles dactyl founding the Olympics. But other stories have heracles the son of zeus founding the games to celebrate his 12 labors or his victory over elis. It goes on to say that he called them Olympic and measured everything himself.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.