Mignola Still Wants A Third 'Hellboy' Movie

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

For some of us, dreams of a Hellboy 3 movie are simply that, a dream. The character which was first brought to the big screen from the pages of his self-titled Dark Horse comic book series back in 2004 by director Guillermo del Toro was considered a success at the box office (grossing $99 million worldwide) and was given a sequel, Hellboy II: The Golden Army. The second film was an even greater commercial success, grossing over $160 million at the box-office; so it was no wonder why shortly after the release of the second film rumors began swirling about the possibility of a third Hellboy movie. This was nearly five years ago and there is still no word about whether or not that kind of movie will ever actually happen: until recently, that is.

In a recent interview Hellboy's creator and current HELLBOY IN HELL writer Mike Mignola made a statement that had the internet abuzz with the theory that there will not be a Hellboy 3 movie, and it's no wonder considering the way Mignola posed his response, drawing a comparison between the schedule of Hellboy comic releases and the question of whether or not there will be a third film.

The biggest problem I see as far as PR for the next billion years is explaining endlessly not only that there's no "Hellboy 3" movie, but it's going to be explaining "It's a series, but it's not a monthly series." The numbers for "Hellboy In Hell" will continue, but it's going to come out whenever it comes out.

The way the writer phrased the answer in the gave the perception that he really meant what he said: that there will never be a Hellboy 3 film. The creator recently took to Facebook to clear the air about what he actually meant by what he said, and how he really never meant to imply that he "never wanted a Hellboy 3 movie."

There are a couple articles out floating around out there right now that sort of make it sound like I don't want a third movie made or even implying that somehow I might in some way stopping a third one from being made--That's just stupid. I have no idea why these things are popping up now. I'm asked all the time if a third film is in the works and I always say there isn't--Because there isn't. Simple as that. Of course I would be thrilled to see a third one made. I know Ron would like to do it and I think if ANYONE could talk Universal into it it would be del Toro. After #2 someone at the studio assured me that they would NEVER make a third and that was the last contact I had with anyone at Universal. That was a long time ago and things change and I do hope things will change, but who knows. Certainly it all has nothing to do with me. The fate of a third film is entirely somewhere between del Toro and Universal.

So there you have it, Mignola is totally up for a third Hellboy movie (and really, why wouldn't he be) as is actor Ron Pearlman (Hellboy), so now it's all up to del Toro and Universal. What do you think? Would you want to see a third film?

Source: Facebook

#1 Posted by Mucklefluga (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

I still haven't watched the first two the whole way through...

#2 Edited by Z3RO180 (6426 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll freaking yes I would love to see hellboy 3. Never read any of the comics but I I would love to see a third movie plus anything made by del torro is pure epicness the only down side is waiting. I'm talking about you pacific rift.

#3 Posted by Odyssey_Dawn (84674 posts) - - Show Bio

Its been awhile but I thought pt.2 left off with some unanswered questions (maybe not). I thought Hellboy 3 was a give in.

#4 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i would freaking love a 3rd hellboy movie. the first 2 were awesome. the creatures and lore were so unique.

#5 Posted by Mark_Rojas_ (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the second one set up some awesome circumstances for a third film. the prophecy about Hellboy and all that. Guillermo del Toro has also said he would love to make a third, he is just a very busy man.

#6 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@mark_rojas_: time better spent than doing that stupid transformers/godzilla rip-off. man that looks like crap.

#7 Posted by BritishMonkey (322 posts) - - Show Bio

A third will be made. Probably once Del toro is done with whatever he's doing with Justice League Dark.

#8 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

I barely the remember the sequel. I remembered I enjoyed it though

#9 Edited by Cap10nate (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed the first two movies and wish that a third would be made.

#10 Edited by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked both of the films. The second one had some truly amazing costume and makeup designs.

#11 Posted by braynehurricane (129 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: Pacific Rim isn't a Transformers/Godzilla rip-off. It's an homage to old school Japanese tokusatsu/daikaiju films. I'm totally into it.

#12 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

Those movies are fantastic. Both are different genres but still a blast. While I'd love another, I'm pretty happy with what I have so far.

#13 Edited by Onemoreposter (4006 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see a Hellboy reboot personally. Del Toro's Hellboy film's were cool, no doubt, but I'd love to see a different take on the character.

#14 Edited by Crom-Cruach (8775 posts) - - Show Bio

If they make a new hellboy movie it should be a reboot with the actors reprising their roles however. Have the first movie cover the main storyline up to the 2nd or third trade because there were obvious disconnects between how the Hellboyverse operates and how it was depicted in the movies (which bugged me).

#15 Posted by RustyRoy (11874 posts) - - Show Bio

Really wish they'd make a make a new Hellboy movie with the same actors. If Universal doesn't want to make a Hellboy movie then they should go to other studios, WB might be interested,Del Toro's also directing his next film for them.

#16 Posted by feargalr (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love a third, the first two are fantastic.

#17 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I've been waiting for Hellboy 3 and (the cancelled) At the Mountains of Madness from del Toro all this while. Being a big HB fan, I loved the first two movies, and if there was a third I'd be all for it. Perlman embodies Hellboy as much as Christopher Reeve embodied Supes and RDJ embodies (Ultimate) Tony Stark.

#19 Posted by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio

YES! I have been talking about a third movie to finish the arc since the sequel came out in 2008. We still need to see Hellboy either give in to his destiny and destroy the world or overcome it and save the world. Just get Guillermo Del Toro on board as Director.

#20 Posted by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, please!! The end of Hellboy 2 makes me think there'll be a third movie coming soon. Well, it's been a while and I want to see the third one now!

#21 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love a third movie though i doubt it happening so a hole reboot would be the next best thing.

#22 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6570 posts) - - Show Bio

Same.

#23 Posted by AirDave817 (808 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, so it's a studio issue. That's a no-brainer: they just follow the money.

I thought I'd read somewhere that Ron Perlman was kinda tired of the make-up process, because he had done it for so long with so many different characters, not just Hellboy. I thought THAT was the real snag to a Hellboy 3...hope I'm wrong...

#24 Posted by Mucklefluga (2544 posts) - - Show Bio

@mucklefluga said:

Same.

My mate drools over these films so i guess i should watch them.

#25 Edited by thatlad (594 posts) - - Show Bio

Del Toro wants it, Mignola wants it, Perlman wants it, WE want it, dammit make the bloody film!!!!

#26 Edited by TommytheHitman (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

Hellboy 3 would be awesome. While I've never read the comics I love the films and would gladly see another one.

#27 Posted by wmwadeii (3244 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Aeroman (497 posts) - - Show Bio

Make it already

#29 Edited by ScreamingGhost (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I've been waiting a long time for Hellboy 3 and will hope that it does eventually see the light of day.

#30 Posted by nerdork (4038 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by slade_wilson (447 posts) - - Show Bio

Make it with Lobster Johnson or don't make it at all.

#32 Posted by Danial79 (2345 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first film, but the second one blew me away. To this day I still use the word "industrible" instead of "indestructible" :P

#33 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5344 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell to the yeah I want another Hell Boy!! Golden Army was like that!!

#35 Posted by LarryDavis (143 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was always known Del Toro and Mignola both wanted to make a third. I remember reading somewhat recently that Del Toro was saying he'd have to do it fairly soon, before Perlman gets way too old.

#36 Posted by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope so, Hellboy is always fun to watch

#37 Posted by dreamfall31 (544 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't crazy about the first, but I love the 2nd one!

#38 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4818 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm always surprised at how much love these get. I'm a fan...but I never thought anybody else was lol

#39 Edited by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love a third movie, with Bruce Campbell as Lobster Johnston (as he voiced him brilliantly in the video game).

#40 Posted by DadaHyena (61 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as he can make it like "Hellboy" and not "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" I would go see it.

#41 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

A movie adaptation of "Hellboy in Hell" would be great for the big screen I say. But yeah, I want a third Hellboy flick just like Mignola does, but until that is reality, its still just a pipe dream.

#42 Posted by Alex_Hayden (3 posts) - - Show Bio

I, for one, would love to see it. The first was good and Golden Army was amazing, so seems like it was all just picking up steam...

#43 Edited by Nicko_Likes_Beans (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I would LOVE a third movie. just leave out freaking hellboys kids.

#44 Posted by mlevans66 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

A third movie would really get the comic world over. I thin kit would be a great service is they made it.

#45 Posted by drgnx (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic movies are making big busks these days, if they can pull a decent movie, go for it, they have the fans already in place.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.