Follow

Hellboy

Character » Hellboy appears in 710 issues.

In 1944, U.S. soldiers discovered an infant demon with a giant stone hand and named him Hellboy. Later founding the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense, Hellboy became the world's greatest paranormal investigator. Soon after, it was revealed that he was born to summon the apocalypse but has instead devoted his life to fighting evil forces.

Hellboy First Timer

Avatar image for auburncomics_com
    AuburnComics.com

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AuburnComics.com

The other night I was flipping through the TV channels, and I came across a showing of the first Hellboy movie. Having been a comic book reader for years, I watched a few minutes nd was intrigued, but I quickly went to bed as it was getting late. I had never read Hellboy before, as I thought it would be sort-of a tribute to the demonic and occult (which it is not - the name “Hellboy” simply refers to his appearance - not his religious beliefs). However, since I enjoyed those few moments I watched, I decided to buy a copy of Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction.

I must say that I was thoroughly impressed. Although I currently read books with more clearly defined lines and brighter colors (i.e. the current run of Green Arrow/Black Canary), I enjoyed the art and felt that it fit the story perfectly. The art was great - the bright colors on dark panels really seemed to leap from the page. There was not a single page which I thought contained sub-par art. Furthermore, I enjoyed the writing because it gave a good explanation of Hellboy’s origin as well as the other members of the BPRD (if you don’t recognize this acronym, then read this book or watch the movie!)

This is not the end of the story…after finishing this book, I went to Wal-Mart and found a three-disc, special edition version of Hellboy for $9. The movie, although containing some typical comic-book-turned-movie cheese, was very good. To my surprise, it also followed some of the story from Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction. pretty closely, which is not common in this genre of movies.

In conclusion, I will say two things. First, I am primarliy a DC reader, but I WILL buy more Hellboy books in the future. Second, I will also be seeing the second Hellboy movie, Hellboy 2: The Golden Army which arrives in theatres on July 11. I encouorage you to do the same.

-N
    Post Edited:2008-05-31 16:49:10

Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Last_Guardian

Hellboy and BPRD issues have great writing..i had to drop BPRD cause of money woes but the first four issues were a great read...and hell yeah this movie looks great! I hope it's as good as Iron Man was...

Furious Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Furious Angel

Hellboy takes names and kick ass. The writing is extremely well done and i'm pretty sure Hellboy II: The Golden Army will either be as good as Iron Man, or get as close to its awesomeness as it possibly can.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.