aztek_the_lost's Hellblazer #271 - Bloody Carnations, Part One: Oh Lucky Man review

Fasten Your Seatbelts Everyone...

...you are now entering Kathy World!

Oh, Shade you never fail to spice things up. Yes, that's right, Shade continues his antics in this issue of Hellblazer and it is definitely a good time through and through. However, for the sake of interesting facts about my own journey through Hellblazer I thought it would be a good time to inform you all that between last month's issue and this, I have read over one hundred issues of Hellblazer. Thus completing my quest to read every last issue of Vertigo's longest-running title. What I learned from this experience was that through its ups and downs, Hellblazer truly is (as Axel Alonso put it in the letters pages when Paul Jenkins was ending his run) a writer-driven book. Each new writer decides whether the book flourishes or sputters and begins to flit in and out. Milligan is definitely about the flourishing.

Another thing I learned is that some writers (Azzarello being the main example) make their run entirely unique, with characters and events solely in their run whereas a writer like Carey drew on the mythologies of almost every writer before him. I don't think either style is better but up until this issue I thought Milligan was taking the Azzarello approach. Up until this point, apart from Chas, the cast has been pretty original, but with this issue that changed. I won't spoil who showed up, but I will say that one of John's two biggest nemesis (in my opinion at least) popped in to make it known that he's not done with mucking up John's life just yet.

I found this to be a very interesting development, I mean John's been doing a pretty good job screwing up his own life but now Hell's working against him too? Very interesting...it tells me Milligan potentially has a grander story to tell here and I'm intrigued to see what it is.

However, that wasn't the only thing that happened this issue, not even the highlight. No, this story simply continued the awesomeness begun in the last arc. John is now apparently sane but considering all he's doing for just one girl I'm going to stick with apparently. I think his cliffhanger definitely proved he's a little lovesick. But I think the best part was (and I'll try not to spoil this though if you check solicits for upcoming issues you'll know what I'm talking about) is the John at the end of the story...haha, what a dirty man!

And Shade? Shade was just pure Shade, it was fantastic, once again the art complimented his story perfectly, and although I feel it was confirmed Milligan has tossed out #68-70 of the old series, I am satisfied with this direction right now. I'm unsure if Shade has removed himself from the story but I suspect we'll see him again later.

As for the ending...I absolutely loved the added touch of using Bisley's art...and his cover...my favorite of the year I think. Love him.

Anyways, once again I urge you to read this and discuss it!

Posted by Silkcuts

dude! I am so glad I write my review before you. I always enjoy your reviews so much more then mine.

Great mention about the Axel Alonso comment on Jenkins. Vertigo needs Axel back.

Vertigo needs to hurry up the Shade trades darn it!

Posted by aztek_the_lost
@Silkcuts: hey, I'm not the one who's reviews get on the first page, I believe you have me beat sir!

yeah, it's so interesting reading some of those old letter pages, it's a pity that custom died out, it gave editors personality, without those I don't even know what half the editors at Vertigo these days are like

AND I AGREE! NEED MY SHADE FIX!
Posted by Silkcuts
@aztek the lost:  I have no clue how my current review got feature, but I am grateful regardless.

Yeah, the editor pages were nice... closest thing now is the on the ledge, but that is not the same.

I just notice John Constantine will be in 7 releases in October :D
- Hellblazer
- India trade
- HOM halloween
- 2 issues of the mini
- Vertigo resurrected (shoot)
- Sandman Preludes new addition.

okay I know only 5 of them are new to print, but still that is huge.
Posted by aztek_the_lost
@Silkcuts: well I want to know who spotlighted your review because then I can know who else is reading/enjoying Hellblazer

but yeah, I enjoy On the Ledge but it's the same in every issue of the month, the letter pages made every book unique...brought up discussion points, they certainly had more talk about the comic in those pages then there is on this site most of the time

is the Preludes new addition actually coming out then? they keep moving it around so I figure it's not happening...pissed they're making those now that I have all the trades in their current format...but John really is Vertigo's flagship character, he deserves the limelight...I can't wait for SHOOT! did you see those covers for the new Vertigo Resurrected, looks like they're collecting Winter's Edge and that Ennis two-parter with the guy who looks exactly like Cassidy and was never collected
Posted by Silkcuts
@aztek the lost:  Preludes and Nocturnal is solicited for October.
I enjoyed the two part Ennis that was not collected, so I am glad that will be in print again.

And it looks like a John Constantine Christmas with the Winters Edge Stories :D

Good call finding that stuff.
Posted by aztek_the_lost
@Silkcuts: but all of the first three trades are solicited for the same day in October, it seems suspicious

agreed, I enjoyed it as well but it always reminds me of Dillon's art being exactly the same between Preacher and Hellblazer, I like them both independently, but when I pair them together the art is just too similar, I swear Cassidy was designed off that guy in Part 1!

well do you think it'll be all things Winter's Edge or just Hellblazer? I think Vertigo has released a lot of original 6-page-or-so stories that should be collected
Posted by Silkcuts
@aztek the lost:  They keep holding off with the reprints, might as well release them all.

I agree with you with Dillion.  I personally hate his art, I don't know how he is a comicbook character. speaking of similarities, I wish the Angels looked more the the DCU angels to help further the argument that PReacher is a hellblazer spin-off

I think the other resurrected, the "Winter's edge" one will be a X-Mas release.  All three X-Mas stories, plus issue #250.  Most of the resurrected stuff seem about 4 issues long if we use Extremist as the template. So the real question is what other two issues are going to be collected with the Ennis 2 parter? I saw Aaron's 2 parter. But likely Ashes and Honey, since Fabry did the covers for those as well and I guess since they have to pay him anyway.... Which I hope its not Ashes and Honey, that is borderline Mina bad.