Follow

H'el

Character » H'el appears in 51 issues.

H'el is a Kryptonian clone created from the cells of countless Kryptonians. He came to Earth seeking to destroy it in order to restore Krypton by using the energy released to protect his space-ship during time travel. Resolving to save Krypton, H'El believed that Superman could help him, so he began watching him and everyone close to him, such as Superboy and Supergirl.

Who Is H'el And How Will He Influence The Superman Family Titles?

• 113 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

One of the cool things about having three "super" characters with their own ongoing titles at DC is the potential for cross-over stories, and since the 'New 52' launched over a year ago, we haven't seen much of that until recently. Right now, DC is in the midst of their H'el On Earth story arc that follows Superman, Supergirl and Superboy in a big cross-over story that features the three characters' appearances in all three titles. In this story, the three have been fighting together against (or on the side of) H'el, a character of Kryptonian origin that seems to be on the attack against Superboy because he is a clone developed by N.O.W.H.E.R.E. But who exactly is H'el and why is he all of a sudden on the offensive against Kon-El? More importantly, will his actions serve to drive an even larger wedge between Superman, Superboy and Supergirl?

No Caption Provided

In the H'el On Earth story arc, H'el appears on the offensive against Superboy, hell-bent on eradicating the character due to the fact that he is a clone. Yet one of the interesting things about the portrayal of this character in the series is that he has given us some insight into Superboy's character. For example, in issue #14 of SUPERBOY, H'el analyzes Superboy mid-fight through dialog, revealing that Superboy is "both Kryptonian and human musculature," and that he "detects subtle but profound differences on a molecular level." Now, H'el could be referring to Superboy's telekinetic powers and the way that his power set varies from that of both Superman and Supergirl's, but that's not necessarily set in stone either. Could H'el be analyzing Superboy on a completely different level? Could he be seeing the character and his power set and observing him in ways that not even Superman can? Is it possible (and we know, we know...this is not likely) that Superboy could be stronger in some ways?

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

In that same issue of SUPERBOY we see Superboy and Miguel out and about while Miguel tries to clear his friend's mind after a pretty traumatic experience. In the following scene, H'el appears before Kon-El and he begins speaking to him but he doesn't appear before Miguel -- meaning that H'el can choose who can see and hear him. That in itself is a pretty crazy power! H'el then proceeds to physically move Superboy to a different plane and challenge him to a fight since he is, after all, "an abomination to the House of El."

No Caption Provided

That got us thinking: what exactly are the extent of H'el's powers? Well, we know he is a telepath considering he clearly depicted the extent of his telepathy in SUPERBOY #14. And if he can communicate with other characters telepathically, there's a chance he can also read their minds, right? That would explain the scene we saw in SUPERMAN #14 where H'el explains his connection to Kal-El and his father. The question is, though, was H'el really Jor-El's "most prized and honored student, chosen to represent all of Krypton," or is he just using his telepathy so he knows what he needs to say? And if he did have that connection to Jor-El, and he was "chosen to represent Krypton," why doesn't Supergirl remember him?

No Caption Provided

H'el also seems to boast some telekinetic powers. In SUPERBOY #14 H'el is fighting Kon-El and Kon uses telekinesis against him, sending debris flying towards H'el's face, but H'el stops the debris and reverses it, hurling it in an attack against Superboy. Superboy also indicates that H'el is "stronger" than he is, right before his attack against H'el using his own T.K. fails.

No Caption Provided

However, perhaps his most interesting power is put on full display when H'el manipulates Supergirl, taking on the appearance of Superman following an explosion amidst a fight with the character. He is intentionally rude and abrasive towards Kara in an attempt to turn her away from Superman -- and it works. With the release of SUPERBOY #15 set to hit stores tomorrow, it's likely that we might see Superboy and Superman against Supergirl and H'el, and it will certainly be interesting to watch. Regardless of the outcome, it's interesting to see that this character who claims to be Kryptonian may actually drive these three to work together -- perhaps not now, but eventually. What do you think of H'el and the current H'el on Earth cross over story? Are you looking forward to see Supergirl and H'el take on Superboy and Superman? What do you think H'el's influence will be? Will it bring these characters together or serve to drive them further apart? And do you think H'el is really Kryptonian or do you, like Superman, also have your doubts?

mcgregorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mcgregorp

i really dont care for this story arc

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By Trevel8182

Is his name really hell, cause that's really stupid.

zachkastner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zachkastner

Learn who the H'el he is! Yeah puns!

I'll see myself out now.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @mcgregorp: Yeah, it's been fine. I'm really counting on it to beef up in the next couple issues.
    ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ccraft

I cant wait to see this unfold. H'el seems really cool, and a great villian for superman.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By JLDoom

I love the fact that H'el is so damn powerful

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Babs: Wasn't He'l supposed to be a revamped Bizzarro in the New 52 at first?

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

@Trevel8182: You mean like Sinestro, Despero, Darksied, Blackagar Boltagon, Mister Sinister?

Avatar image for tomdickharry1984
    tomdickharry1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By tomdickharry1984

What a $#!t name!! Is the next one A'Sol or L'Sozr...iditos!!!

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Trevel8182

@ArtisticNeedham: At least they try to alter the word for the others but for H'el they just put a comma and took away the second L.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Trevel8182

@tomdickharry1984: Lmfao!!

Jean199999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jean199999

I for one really hope he is here to stay. I like his attitude.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@evilvegeta74 said:

Yeah, but he wound up being to different a character from Bizarro so they made him his own character. I kinda like his look though. However I HAVE noticed that there are a few pics of him WITHOUT the backwards S-shield so I can only assume this is to distance him from Bizarro should DC, hopefully, bring the REAL Bizarro back

CircularLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14  Edited By CircularLogic

He'l is terrible. God that dialogue is SO GENERIC it hurts. And the backwards S? Really? Just had to hammer in the point that he's a threat to Superman because he's supposedly his equal and opposite, huh? Thank god for Scott Lobdell, Master of Subtlety right here, Amirite?

Maybe one day he can reveal the secret to why he's called He'l. That's a puzzler

GrimoireMyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GrimoireMyst

I'm interested in what plays out with this cross-over storyline. Maybe Supergirl will try to think of the future instead of the dead planet Krypton. I also want to see if Wonder Woman will teach Superman how to fight against H' el who is stronger than him.

Avatar image for blackmoonrose13
    Blackmoonrose13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Blackmoonrose13

Well this is going to be H'el

I am sorry I couldn't help it I am sorry.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By doordoor123

I love how all of the people complaining haven't read it.

RoastedRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RoastedRay

"A powerful Kryptonian who believes Earth has weakened and disgraced Superman's heritage." That is this guys description. It basically sounds like they took the same plot of Death of The Family and changed it a little to fit for superman. Creative.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Icon

I'm anxious to find out more of H'El's back story and to see how much of what he says is true. It will be interesting to see how the 3 Supers are able to beat him (assuming they even can) and whether or not the rift H'El has caused between them will worsen.

Azrael66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Azrael66

H'el looks like a Dragon Ball enemy, which is awesome.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#21  Edited By Cavemold

where is his eyes at? TERRIBLE art...

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By saoakden

I'm very interested to see what kind of mark he leaves on Superman, Supergirl and Superboy. I can't wait to see where this story goes.

Calildur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Calildur

Isnt he Match? I mean he looks similar....

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By doordoor123

@RoastedRay said:

"A powerful Kryptonian who believes Earth has weakened and disgraced Superman's heritage." That is this guys description. It basically sounds like they took the same plot of Death of The Family and changed it a little to fit for superman. Creative.

How does that sound at all like Death of the Family? Yes, they're both family events, but that is all I see.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By tensor

H'el One powerful enemy

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bladewolf

It's actually a pretty decent arc so far. I'm enjoying it!

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By damswedon

@doordoor123 said:

@RoastedRay said:

How does that sound at all like Death of the Family? Yes, they're both family events, but that is all I see.

Big bad thinks having a connection to an outside force has weakened the hero. So the big bad decides to destroy the outside force the make the hero strong again.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By colonyofcells

Since H'el has displayed mostly telepathic and telekinetic powers, he could be just Helspont with a mental disguise. It is also possible H'el is a kryptonian space experiment who is very adaptable like Duplicate Boy and develop any power as needed. Since Supergirl needs a boyfriend, my suggestion is for Supergirl to hook up with H'el and have a dozen kids.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

@evilvegeta74 said:

Apparently, yeah. To the best of my knowledge there was a last minute editorial change. Not sure why.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By davidgrantlloyd

There's a good point in the article as to why Kara doesn't remember H'el.

The story arc has started out pretty cool, hopefully it continues to get better

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Funny people complaining about the name H'el, like names in comics are really that ground breaking, like how 90% of X Men titles or events are just a pun on an X sounding word, isn't that X -cellent.?

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Yung ANcient One
    @Azrael66 said:

H'el looks like a Dragon Ball enemy, which is awesome.

Beserkerfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Beserkerfury

This looks like utter trash, I guess I shouldn't expect much from a superman comic.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ScarletBatman

Couldn't H'el be a super powered clone of Superman? He hates Superboy because Superboy turned out "normal" and "good" where as H'el turned out twisted and weird? If he has telepathy and a twisted personality, he could easily construct a false backstory to help him manipulate the other Kryptonians. His backwards "s" looks like it was carved into his flesh, maybe he did it to himself to look like his genetic progenitor?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By colonyofcells

H'el seems to be using the kryptonians against each other to eliminate all the kryptonians on earth for maybe the coming invasion.

Casshern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Casshern

Yeah I agree...he does remind me of Bizzaro. AND THATS COOL IF HE IS!!!

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By doordoor123

@damswedon said:

@doordoor123 said:

@RoastedRay said:

Big bad thinks having a connection to an outside force has weakened the hero. So the big bad decides to destroy the outside force the make the hero strong again.

Are you even reading H'el on Earth? That isn't even what it is about. It is about a Kryptonian trying to rebuild Krypton. Feeling that way about Superman doesn't mean anything.

Death of the Family is driven by that, but H'el on Earth isn't at all. He'l on Earth is more complex then that.

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SUNMAN

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

Yeah, but he wound up being to different a character from Bizarro so they made him his own character. I kinda like his look though. However I HAVE noticed that there are a few pics of him WITHOUT the backwards S-shield so I can only assume this is to distance him from Bizarro should DC, hopefully, bring the REAL Bizarro back

wait this guys not Bizarro? can someone point me towards an interview or something?

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Seems to me H'el is starting to look more and more like Doomsday to me in New 52 with what we have seen so far. I'm intrigued by the character no doubt and wanna see where they go with this story.

KINCART

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By KINCART

I say he is a clone. Didn't they mention in a Superboy comic that he was the second clone of Superman made by N.O.W.H.E.R.E.? Who was the first?

IamV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By IamV

H'EL eh? House of EL... the name works out

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sovereign91001

@Trevel8182 said:

@ArtisticNeedham: At least they try to alter the word for the others but for H'el they just put a comma and took away the second L.

You mean how in the above example the 'E' and 'D' of Darksied are switched? Or how Sinestro has an 'O' tossed on the end, or Bizzaro dropped the 'E' and added an 'O'?

How is one okay but the other isn't?

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kid Apollo

is he the New52 Bizarro Superman?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By danhimself

@kid Apollo said:

is he the New52 Bizarro Superman?

he was originally supposed to be Bizarro but he eventually became a new character

Nheritor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Nheritor

He could be the missing world killer Reign spoke of.

crabtree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By crabtree

There is way to many supermans!!

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sunhawk

when is H'EL going to be involve PowerGirl? they could use h'el to introduce karen to the superman family.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By sora_thekey

@zachkastner said:

Learn who the H'el he is! Yeah puns!

I'll see myself out now.

Well, you made me laugh. I think you can stay.

captainadamant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By captainadamant

This made me drop Superman and Supergirl :(.

I'll wait for Snyder to do a nice makeover. :)

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

He'l seems like a really interesting character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.