Follow

H'el

Character » H'el appears in 51 issues.

H'el is a Kryptonian clone created from the cells of countless Kryptonians. He came to Earth seeking to destroy it in order to restore Krypton by using the energy released to protect his space-ship during time travel. Resolving to save Krypton, H'El believed that Superman could help him, so he began watching him and everyone close to him, such as Superboy and Supergirl.

The Backwards Superman Logo

Raktus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When did he get it on his chest? I'm having a hard time following the continuity of it. I mean, near the end of the Supergirl line she's surprised to see it, but he has it on him when he engages Superboy... which is well before that.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's probably a scar from his original tattered wardrobe. He was practically adopted into the family.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It tended to vanish and reappear at will, though it seemed to take a conscious effort to hide it. When his concentration was disrupted, I'm pretty sure it came back against his will.

Raktus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Raktus

Why would it scar backwards?

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ultra_beleco

@raktus said:

Why would it scar backwards?

Doesn't H'el has the power to change into any form? He can hide a scar if he wanted...

Raktus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which might be why it vanishes from time to time... but that still doesn't explain where it came from. If the guy seeing him fall out of a spaceship with bloody hands and the backwards S carved into his chest was him just coming to Earth, then we can assume he did it to himself on the way.

If the S stands for Hope is it possible that the backwards S stands for Despair? That he carved it into himself after giving up all hope of saving Krypton before he came up with the plan we see him go with in the series?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is Superboy Prime from the original universe. He even survived Flashpoint, all it did was flip his S.

or

He carved the symbol in a Mirror, and forgot how mirrors work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I don't know how it came about in canon but it was put there originally because H'el was meant to be the New 52 Bizarro.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9 dernman  Online

The reason why it vanished was because he was using his powers to hide it from Supergirl.

Raktus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Raktus

@guttridgeb: He wasn't though. They wanted one, but they made him his own character.

Point being, he obviously carved it into himself. His fingers were bloodied when he emerged from his ship. But why? Why carve the crest of your own adopted house into your chest backwards? H'el is smart, he'd realize it was backwards. I'm going to go with backwards meaning Despair until I hear something better.

He was the last Kryptonian, in his mind, the fact he was about to crash on an alien world without hope of saving his people somehow. Despair seems to fit into that for me. It was only afterwards that he found other survivors...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raktus: I know they made him his own character, I was saying that was why it was there originally.

Raktus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guttridgeb: In a quote from Lobdell:

"And for everyone who wonders about the "S" on his chest? It is so far removed from Bizarro or Prime or anyone else that you can relax: By the time this story is over, you'll see that H'el and Bizarro can exist in the same world."

So it really has nothing to do with Bizarro anymore.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raktus: That's why I said originally. Both times.

Raktus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Raktus

@guttridgeb: And I'm saying it has nothing to do with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.