So people are actually BOYCOTTING the Thor film because...

• 80 results
#51 Posted by theiconic (924 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: u said it boss..............and to add to this forum  those who try to flip and say if a white guy played a African deity  , deff wouldnt work ( though it cud)  whites are in every thing, every created thing, Africans dont have the luxury of getting roles or characters made for them..so its stupid to say  oh why cant a white guy play a African deity or black role when they already get every frackin role look at prince of Persia non of the main characters were Persian they were white. As mentioned old school cleopatra was African, but played by  a white, many black roles were  face painted whites......Hollywood  and entertainment never accepted  us, its a Sher miracle we have roles..and dont get me started on black comic characters  there's barely any  and if there are they suck  or  are typical stereotypes , the dancing brotha, the musician or jail bird,  just as arabs are  stereotyped terrorist.  but whites,  the saviors, the GOds, the plan the saves man every time, non of those roles go to blacks, we are killed  first in every horro film,or in regular films  our character never makes it unless ur a huge huge name...so the brotha gettin a god role thats koo, and im down with it, and guess what  he didnt make himself that role, he was offered it by those who made the movie and it wasnt blacks who made this film or had any power to do so!! give tha brotha a break haters
#52 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc: what if he was just the best guy to audition for the part, would you prefer that a crappy actor got the part just cause he's white? besides that they're going with the earth x theory that the asgardians are actually just powerful aliens that influenced the culture of the vikings instead of them being actual mythological gods 
#53 Posted by dementedtheclown (747 posts) - - Show Bio

No characters race should be changed ever. Maybe they'll learn for next time.

That being said, Im tottally gunna see this movie because I didnt even know the character was supposed to be white, and it looks awesome.
I was more upset at the actors playing rhodes changed in ironman, and wolverines claws changing, then nick fury being black.
But it's still messed up. Just put black characters in the movie.

#54 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio

wow they are boycotting a movie because one actor is the same ethnicity as the character he is playing

well then I think they should stop seeing any and all Marvel films as we don't know what movies Nick Fury is going to be in and his original character was White (I know, gasp they took something that was completely fine in one area and changed it, how dare they)

#55 Posted by Valkyrja (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this kind of proud, race-oriented mentality is stupid and just asking for trouble, whatever the context. Black or white, red or purple, if you get horribly offended if a member of your "color" isn't being portrayed as such, it represents nothing but a primitive racial gang mentality on your part. Aren't we above this, people?

That being said, I have studied the Norse myths and do agree that, of all the gods for them to change, Heimdall was probably the worst choice in terms of accuracy to the myths. Well, besides for Baldr, he's considered the "bright god" and actually has a white flower named after him. But still, Heimdall's often described in epithets of the Poetic Edda as the hvítastr ása, whitest of the gods. Marvel has been pretty hit-or-miss with this kind of thing, to be honest. For instance, in one translation of Snorri Sturlusson's Prose Edda, Loki is described as having "eyes as green and sharp as broken sea glass," and Odin is always bearded and one-eyed. But Thor is supposed to have a massive beard and red hair. Obviously, liberties are being taken, and if the protesters have a problem with some of them they should have a problem with all, no?

I think another problem that people are running into is one of perceived insensitivity. Even though Thor is obviously, undoubtedly and irrefutably about a Marvel comic book character, the Ásatrú religion and Odinic Rite are still around today and many people consider it to be a major part of their culture. This situation bends the line between religious figure and historical inaccuracy. Granted, there are so many other things they could be complaining about, like Thor being a blondie and the Warriors Three existing at all.  Perhaps it's a good thing they're boycotting the movie, since they obviously weren't the intended target audience. :P

#56 Posted by Upheaval (140 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" I think this is great. They can maybe join up with my and the HFO (Hate Filled Organization) a bunch of people boycotting the film because Thor is played by a human and not an actual god. Thats not very accurate or realistic at all. Who cares if the human is a good actor and the people making the movie selected him because they thought he would do a great job. Plus there are much more valid reasons to not see the movie, and there are legitimate reasons to be annoyed by Idris Elba's presence here like if Heimdall was your favorite character in Thor comic more than any other character and now you can't identify with him, the two minutes he is on screen. Or maybe if you were a fan of Thor but never read the comic in which so many things were changed anyway. So some reasonable reasons, but most reasons generally, and particularly for this boycott don't actually sound reasonable.   "
EPIC!
#57 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio
@Upheaval said:
" @SC said:
" I think this is great. They can maybe join up with my and the HFO (Hate Filled Organization) a bunch of people boycotting the film because Thor is played by a human and not an actual god. Thats not very accurate or realistic at all. Who cares if the human is a good actor and the people making the movie selected him because they thought he would do a great job. Plus there are much more valid reasons to not see the movie, and there are legitimate reasons to be annoyed by Idris Elba's presence here like if Heimdall was your favorite character in Thor comic more than any other character and now you can't identify with him, the two minutes he is on screen. Or maybe if you were a fan of Thor but never read the comic in which so many things were changed anyway. So some reasonable reasons, but most reasons generally, and particularly for this boycott don't actually sound reasonable.   "
EPIC! "
Witty sarcasm. I love it. 
#58 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio

people like this need to be shot

#59 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio

The article linked is full of so much win. 

#60 Posted by Darkchild (40624 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress: I KNOW RIGHT!!!
#61 Posted by MrDirector786 (43416 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that is a really stupid reason to boycott it and some of those things they said about how Marvel and Stan Lee are left-wing extremists are just retarded.

#62 Posted by Z3RO180 (6337 posts) - - Show Bio

the thor movie looks kick ass  

fuck the boy cotter right up the ass. 

not really just kick them in the nuts....or head eather one will do.
#63 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" thank you for pointing this out...boycott-thor.com just became my homepage and I plan on spamming their comments sections everyday with ridiculousness....I get bored easily "
LOL!  Excellent!
#64 Posted by drkhwk2001 (4433 posts) - - Show Bio

Utterly ridiculous.

#65 Posted by VickyVons (232 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm pretty sure most of the people who saw the traiiler had no idea who Idris Elba's character was, let alone cared.   

#66 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

#67 Posted by skeeter_eater (51 posts) - - Show Bio
Racism: a generalization made based on race.

@biggkeem89 said:
" Idris Elba is a good actor, and Heimdall looks awesome. The way I see it "god" are open for interpretation anyway. It's not like Thor is going to be a blond haired black guy. There are thousands of Asgardians and Asgard is huge, who says that one of them couldn't be black? So what if they're Nordic gods? This movie is not based on Nordic myth, but on a comic book character. Comic book characters can be changed by their creators. Just look at Nick Fury. As long as he is portrayed properly and looks cool, then go for it. The people who have a problem with this are probably the same ones that carry the "Obama is a Monkey" signs and have wet dreams about burning crosses in people's yards "
"god" is not really open to interpretation if his nickname is "the whitest warrior" lol 

Either way, the act of protesting the movie solely based on character inaccuracies IS NOT racist.  That is just stupid.  How do you know they wouldn't be as angry if Mr. Terrific were portrayed as a white guy?  Or Storm as a Mexican?  Protesting the movie based on the fact that he is black and not taking the story into account would be racist.
If a black god were portrayed as a white person, people would cry just like there are people crying now.  That goes for all people/races.  If you don't think that, you are just burying your head in the sand.  People want to whine.
The people using that as an excuse to protest the movie are equally as stupid as the people who automatically assume they're racist though.  Really, people should just be happy we're getting a Thor movie, CAPITAL EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are probably people who feel like their heritage is being taken or changed or something.  Not really into the whole "proud of something I have no control over" thing so I don't really know, but that's a definite possibility.
#68 Posted by MrDirector786 (43416 posts) - - Show Bio
@Donnieman v5.1 said:
"
"
lol
#69 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@skeeter_eater said:
" Racism: a generalization made based on race.

@biggkeem89 said:
" Idris Elba is a good actor, and Heimdall looks awesome. The way I see it "god" are open for interpretation anyway. It's not like Thor is going to be a blond haired black guy. There are thousands of Asgardians and Asgard is huge, who says that one of them couldn't be black? So what if they're Nordic gods? This movie is not based on Nordic myth, but on a comic book character. Comic book characters can be changed by their creators. Just look at Nick Fury. As long as he is portrayed properly and looks cool, then go for it. The people who have a problem with this are probably the same ones that carry the "Obama is a Monkey" signs and have wet dreams about burning crosses in people's yards "
"god" is not really open to interpretation if his nickname is "the whitest warrior" lol    Either way, the act of protesting the movie solely based on character inaccuracies IS NOT racist.  That is just stupid.  How do you know they wouldn't be as angry if Mr. Terrific were portrayed as a white guy?  Or Storm as a Mexican?  Protesting the movie based on the fact that he is black and not taking the story into account would be racist.If a black god were portrayed as a white person, people would cry just like there are people crying now.  That goes for all people/races.  If you don't think that, you are just burying your head in the sand.  People want to whine.The people using that as an excuse to protest the movie are equally as stupid as the people who automatically assume they're racist though.  Really, people should just be happy we're getting a Thor movie, CAPITAL EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There are probably people who feel like their heritage is being taken or changed or something.  Not really into the whole "proud of something I have no control over" thing so I don't really know, but that's a definite possibility. "
I agree with your point but I don't really get the comparison you're making.... 
Mr.Terrific is a major player in JSA so if there was a movie and he was a white guy...People have a legit reason to be mad because he actually matters.He should get alot of face time because he's actually worth something to the team. 
Storm is a POPULAR Marvel character.She is a significant part of the X-men.It would make sense to protest about that because she actually matters to the X-men. 
Heimdall being black is no different than the Kingpin being black (which nobody protested) because he doesn't actually matter.A muppet could play Heimdall and NOTHING would be different.He doesn't matter.This is a Thor movie..based on Thor.Not Asgard..Not the Warriors Three...THOR! 
#70 Posted by skeeter_eater (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
I agree with your point but I don't really get the comparison you're making.... Mr.Terrific is a major player in JSA so if there was a movie and he was a white guy...People have a legit reason to be mad because he actually matters.He should get alot of face time because he's actually worth something to the team. Storm is a POPULAR Marvel character.She is a significant part of the X-men.It would make sense to protest about that because she actually matters to the X-men. Heimdall being black is no different than the Kingpin being black (which nobody protested) because he doesn't actually matter.A muppet could play Heimdall and NOTHING would be different.He doesn't matter.This is a Thor movie..based on Thor.Not Asgard..Not the Warriors Three...THOR!  "

Tunnel vision.  Who says its a JSA or X-men movie?  Terrific could have a small part in The Atom or something.  Storm in Black Panther.
I thought kingpin being black was dumb, still watched.  The fact that people didn't protest kingpin or fury (although fury could work, but they're both still dumb) might be proof that this is actually an ancestry thing.  I know a lot of white supremacy groups are into norse mythology, and I thought I read in a previous post that this was started by a white supremacy group.
#71 Posted by crackerjack82 (2606 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a Swedish/American, my family can be traced back to 1200 ad in Sweden, AND i hate that NEO NAZI and Klan members, use my gods..as there own, as far Mr.Alba being heimdall, he is a good actor, do i think hes the right choice, no, but if i had to choose a black actor, i would still choose him because he is one of the best black actors out there, i would love to see him as Black Panther.  Personally, I hate disney because they put people in movies for political correctness. I am more mad at the guy playing Thor, i dont think he is right, but he may blow me away.

#72 Edited by PowerHerc (81712 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

" @PowerHerc: what if he was just the best guy to audition for the part, would you prefer that a crappy actor got the part just cause he's white? besides that they're going with the earth x theory that the asgardians are actually just powerful aliens that influenced the culture of the vikings instead of them being actual mythological gods  "

I don't want a crappy actor playing any role, but casting a black actor in a white part smacks of politically correct Hollywood BS.  If they are indeed going with the Earth X theory that the Asgardians are actually powerful aliens who made contact with the Vikings, then they would have to look like the Vikings because it was the Vikings that influenced their appearance according to the Earth X storyline.   

Let me ask you this;  Would you want Robert DeNiro to play Fred Sanford in a movie about the character created and made iconic by Red Foxx?   
Wouldn't casting a black actor make more sense?   
If a white actor were cast in this role, do you think black people would like it or accept that said white actor must have been the best actor to audition?  Personally, I doubt they would. 
#73 Posted by SC (12724 posts) - - Show Bio

Lady Sif weighs in. 
http://twitter.com/JaimieAlexander/status/17756645320822784     

Way cool. 

#74 Edited by CapFanboy (4520 posts) - - Show Bio

the only problem i have after seeing the trailer to thor is him dropkicking. he's a god, why the hell would he dropkick? wouldn't he stay on his feet and use his immense power and strength to punch them without losing his footing

#75 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd prefer if they'd stick with the actual characters races, and the casting does seem like a cheap way to have a black guy in the film just for the sake of it, since the most major black guy in the Thor mythos is probably Thunderball, but boycotting the movie just for that pretty lame. Chances are he's not even going to have more than 10 minutes of significant screen time anyway.

#76 Posted by Susanoo (5909 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm practically mixed with everything. Latino, Asain, European you name it. Mass amounts of people view white people as oh how can you say, the most beautiful race because they possess looks closest to gods/angels in their opinions. It's also been proven in tests that lighter = more attractive apparently. Young kids being shown pictures of white folk and darker folks. The whites were chosen the most based for beauty and the darker people were voted as "bad guy". 

I think it's ridiculous to have a black guy playing a white god however. Or a Black man playing Superman or Batman. Same thing vice versa like some people said. you wouldn't want a white guy playing an african deity nor Johnny Depp playing T'Challa. I don't think it's a big deal at all though to have people boycott this movie simply because a side character is black. It's just nonsense and ignorant to astounding levels. This movie is about Thor. Not Heimdalls skin color. Leave the poor man alone. He's sticking his neck out there for a movie to entertain you people and fans.
#77 Posted by Mercy_ (92634 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" Lady Sif weighs in. http://twitter.com/JaimieAlexander/status/17756645320822784      Way cool.  "
She just got cooler. 
#78 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

People are stupid.  

I only boycott movies that look like sh!t. *cough* Green Lantern *cough*

#79 Posted by Susanoo (5909 posts) - - Show Bio
@LightBright said:
"People are stupid.   I only boycott movies that look like sh!t. *cough* Green Lantern *cough* "

QFT. I mean he's a guy that's just doing his job and entertaining people at the same time. He's also just a side character. Not a big deal. I'd understand if it was Thor but it's not. Some people are just ignorant to such levels.
#80 Posted by SC (12724 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress:  Yep yep, I concur. I actually really like this, because I sort of didn't like the choice of actor to play Sif, she seemed a bit too small and well, but after reading her comments on this, I can't help but think of her as awesome. Its really going to help watching the movie.  

Oh, and I see some pretty strong and logical arguments to why this is weird, having a black character (which is a nice change), but Marvel's take in Thor has always rooted itself on the fantasy side, rather than realism, its created it own mythology with dozens of characters of new characters, fantasy essentially is renown for its opposition to reality. I could also name a bunch of African, Polynesian gods that could be played by white characters rather easily. Would they though in a movie? I am not sure, probably if made by Kenneth Branagh, since this is not the first or second film he was colorblind when it came to casting. So basically the source materials this movie is working from veer far, far away from accuracy of the mythology anyway, mythology a skewered representation of history itself, and if we are going that far back, well I agree, this is but one of dozens of things that don't make sense lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.