So people are actually BOYCOTTING the Thor film because...

• 80 results
#1 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by SC (13071 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is great. They can maybe join up with my and the HFO (Hate Filled Organization) a bunch of people boycotting the film because Thor is played by a human and not an actual god. Thats not very accurate or realistic at all. Who cares if the human is a good actor and the people making the movie selected him because they thought he would do a great job. Plus there are much more valid reasons to not see the movie, and there are legitimate reasons to be annoyed by Idris Elba's presence here like if Heimdall was your favorite character in Thor comic more than any other character and now you can't identify with him, the two minutes he is on screen. Or maybe if you were a fan of Thor but never read the comic in which so many things were changed anyway. So some reasonable reasons, but most reasons generally, and particularly for this boycott don't actually sound reasonable.  

#3 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" I think this is great. They can maybe join up with my and the HFO (Hate Filled Organization) a bunch of people boycotting the film because Thor is played by a human and not an actual god. Thats not very accurate or realistic at all. Who cares if the human is a good actor and the people making the movie selected him because they thought he would do a great job. Plus there are much more valid reasons to not see the movie, and there are legitimate reasons to be annoyed by Idris Elba's presence here like if Heimdall was your favorite character in Thor comic more than any other character and now you can't identify with him, the two minutes he is on screen. Or maybe if you were a fan of Thor but never read the comic in which so many things were changed anyway. So some reasonable reasons, but most reasons generally, and particularly for this boycott don't actually sound reasonable.   "
So much win. 
#4 Posted by Sexy Merc (42072 posts) - - Show Bio

They're just being racist for the sake of being racist. I know them personally.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22532 posts) - - Show Bio

thank you for pointing this out...boycott-thor.com just became my homepage and I plan on spamming their comments sections everyday with ridiculousness....I get bored easily

#6 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: There's also a Facebook page if you wanna spam there too ;)
#7 Posted by danhimself (22532 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
" @danhimself: There's also a Facebook page if you wanna spam there too ;) "
I've already commented on all of their posts on the web page and I seriously doubt that their moderators are going to approve any of them....I hate racists people...especially these guys who are racists but don't think they're racists...if you're going to be racist then at least have the balls to say you're racist
#8 Posted by Icon (2076 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
" I think this is great. They can maybe join up with my and the HFO (Hate Filled Organization) a bunch of people boycotting the film because Thor is played by a human and not an actual god. Thats not very accurate or realistic at all. Who cares if the human is a good actor and the people making the movie selected him because they thought he would do a great job. Plus there are much more valid reasons to not see the movie, and there are legitimate reasons to be annoyed by Idris Elba's presence here like if Heimdall was your favorite character in Thor comic more than any other character and now you can't identify with him, the two minutes he is on screen. Or maybe if you were a fan of Thor but never read the comic in which so many things were changed anyway. So some reasonable reasons, but most reasons generally, and particularly for this boycott don't actually sound reasonable.   "
Yep. Nuff Said. 
#9 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

screw them I'm not going to see heimdall I'm going to see thor and loki 

#10 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

If the Black Guy was made up to look like a white guy would that be ok? Cause yes there aren't any Norse gods who are black......cause there where no black people there when they were creating their gods. So really it's like a white guy playing Black Jesus.
#11 Edited by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree that a black guy shouldn't be playing a Norse god, but I'm not going to protest against the movie. Would you guys like seeing a white guy play as some African Deity? No. Neither do I. But, I'm willing to deal with it because I really want to see this movie. It's not racist to feel like this. It just means you would rather have your actors to be more accruate to the actual lore.

#12 Edited by Vance Astro (91220 posts) - - Show Bio
@Hawk said:

" If the Black Guy was made up to look like a white guy would that be ok? Cause yes there aren't any Norse gods who are black......cause there where no black people there when they were creating their gods. So really it's like a white guy playing Black Jesus. "

I don't think anyone is saying it's ok.It's an obvious attempt at affirmative action.Maybe the creator thinks we'll (black people) give a damn if there are no black people in a movie about Norse Gods.The problem is that boycotting it is childish and petty.The character Idris Elba plays (Heimdall) is not the focal.Thor is, so I don't see why it matters.And when it comes to Black characters being portrayed as white...it depends on the character. If the character is insignificant and not the main character then I don't see why anyone would care.I would be mad if Black Panther was played by Johnny Depp or some other white guy but if let's say...Amanda Waller was played by a white woman in a Justice League or Superman movie..I wouldn't care..White Hollywood sometimes won't even depict REAL PEOPLE who are actually black as black in movies. (Elizabeth Taylor played Cleopatra for godsakes).That's worth a boycott...
#13 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

Idris Elba is a good actor, and Heimdall looks awesome. The way I see it "god" are open for interpretation anyway. It's not like Thor is going to be a blond haired black guy. There are thousands of Asgardians and Asgard is huge, who says that one of them couldn't be black? So what if they're Nordic gods? This movie is not based on Nordic myth, but on a comic book character. Comic book characters can be changed by their creators. Just look at Nick Fury. As long as he is portrayed properly and looks cool, then go for it. The people who have a problem with this are probably the same ones that carry the "Obama is a Monkey" signs and have wet dreams about burning crosses in people's yards

#14 Posted by danhimself (22532 posts) - - Show Bio

my problem is that these guys aren't doing this because they care about the accurate portrayal of Heimdall...cause honestly it doesn't matter if Heimdall is black or white or whatever other color because no one is going to see this movie for Heimdall...they're going to see THOR

It pisses me off that these people are trying to bring their politics and racism into a comic book movie....as a REAL comic book fan I'm just happy to see a live action, high budget Thor movie

#15 Posted by cbishop (8132 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna said:
"I agree that a black guy shouldn't be playing a Norse god, but I'm not going to protest against the movie. Would you guys like seeing a white guy play as some African Deity? No. Neither do I. But, I'm willing to deal with it because I really want to see this movie. It's not racist to feel like this. It just means you would rather have your actors to be more accruate to the actual lore. "

This is pretty much how I feel about it, except that this is a white supremacist group doing the protesting, so it's completely racism motivated.  No matter how they mask it, their first thought is a racist one.  The mask has some legitimacy to it, but that's only to gain support for their hate group.  Kind of the way Westboro Baptist Church hides their hatred behind a mask of religious piety, when their message has absolutely nothing to do with God or Jesus.
#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop said:
" @JoeRiccadonna said:
"I agree that a black guy shouldn't be playing a Norse god, but I'm not going to protest against the movie. Would you guys like seeing a white guy play as some African Deity? No. Neither do I. But, I'm willing to deal with it because I really want to see this movie. It's not racist to feel like this. It just means you would rather have your actors to be more accruate to the actual lore. "

This is pretty much how I feel about it, except that this is a white supremacist group doing the protesting, so it's completely racism motivated.  No matter how they mask it, their first thought is a racist one.  The mask has some legitimacy to it, but that's only to gain support for their hate group.  Kind of the way Westboro Baptist Church hides their hatred behind a mask of religious piety, when their message has absolutely nothing to do with God or Jesus. "
Don't even get me started on them. 
#17 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop said:
" @JoeRiccadonna said:

This is pretty much how I feel about it, except that this is a white supremacist group doing the protesting, so it's completely racism motivated.  No matter how they mask it, their first thought is a racist one.  The mask has some legitimacy to it, but that's only to gain support for their hate group.  Kind of the way Westboro Baptist Church hides their hatred behind a mask of religious piety, when their message has absolutely nothing to do with God or Jesus. "
Neither of these groups have a leg to stand on. What, no one jumping up because Tadanobu Asano is playing Hogun, are they? 
#18 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll see the movie twice, just to spite people who boycott it. More than twice if I actually like it. I mean, it's got Anthony Hopkins as Odin. How do you turn that down? Man, people are idiots.

#19 Posted by tensor (4298 posts) - - Show Bio

but is that going to kill the movie no so can we just move along marvel agree so is either you like or you don't

#20 Posted by Kanou (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Words actually fail me to describe my opinion on this. 

It's a movie based on a comic that is based on mithology. Liberties will be taken. It's entertainment. As long as it is enjoyable and fun I will pay to see it.

On a more serious note, the impact this is gonna bring to the movie and people who will go see it is probably zero.

#21 Posted by TheWarrior8806 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I just cant believe ppl are boycotting the movie simply for the fact that  Idris Elba is black.... It's just stupid.

#22 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (889 posts) - - Show Bio

America...oh how far we've come.

#23 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, Idris Elba is an amazing actor. Seriously, he been in some terrible movies like "Prom Night" but he was amazing on the Wire and hilarious in Rock-N-Rolla.  

I'm really hyped he's going to be in the Thor movie.

#24 Posted by cbishop (8132 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
"Don't even get me started on them."

[Didn't you learn, last time?] Sooo, Dark Huntress, what do you think of Westboro Baptist Church? <annnd walks away, whistling innocently>
#25 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio
@cbishop: Curse you, cbishop!  

I think they're a bunch of close-minded racists and dangerous ones, at that. That's all I'm saying. xP
#26 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is totally understandable to be upset since Heimdall is a well established character and people want it to follow continuity it would be like making Commissioner Gordon Asian in the movie. I for one would be pissed

#27 Posted by Mercy_ (92695 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
" I think it is totally understandable to be upset since Heimdall is a well established character and people want it to follow continuity it would be like making Commissioner Gordon Asian in the movie. I for one would be pissed "
Or like making Nick Fury black? Which actually worked out pretty damn well. 
#28 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @Son_of_Magnus said:
" I think it is totally understandable to be upset since Heimdall is a well established character and people want it to follow continuity it would be like making Commissioner Gordon Asian in the movie. I for one would be pissed "
Or like making Nick Fury black? Which actually worked out pretty damn well.  "
They are basing it off the Ultimate Universe Sam Jackson is really nothing more than a publicity toy like Snakes on a Plane he is not a talented actor
#29 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
"Or like making Nick Fury black? Which actually worked out pretty damn well.  "
I disagree with this very strongly. Samuel L. Jackson makes a terrible Nick Fury. 

@Son_of_Magnus said:
" They are basing it off the Ultimate Universe Sam Jackson is really nothing more than a publicity toy like Snakes on a Plane he is not a talented actor "
This too. Ultimate Nick Fury is nowhere near as good as the original, and Sam Jackson is a mediocre actor at best.
#30 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg: Nice avatar.
#31 Edited by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kanou: Totally.  
I think the decision to make Heimdall black was actually a good one. He looks SO awesome in the trailer, with the eyes and the helmet and the aura of baddassery. And other users have a point, Hogun is being portrayed as Asian. What's next, a Samoan Volstagg? Oh my Thor no!
#32 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
#33 Posted by Precise (22886 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
"Or like making Nick Fury black? Which actually worked out pretty damn well.  "
I disagree with this very strongly. Samuel L. Jackson makes a terrible Nick Fury. 
True, I had prefer an unknown playing Nick Fury. Now it's just Samuel L. Jackson playing Samuel L. Jackson in a Nick Fury outfit.
#34 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

Bah, pay them no mind. A few more generations of inbreeding and they won't even be able to operate a computer.

#35 Posted by ~The Wanderer~ (34406 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't heard of anyone boycotting movies featuring Jesus being played by actors who weren't middle-eastern/Semitic (at least not on that basis), so I fail to see how Heimdall's race is so important...

#36 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the same kind of crap that revolved around the Daredevil release... but in the end no-one cared that the Kingpin was black because the performance was the best in thw whole movie!
#37 Posted by cbishop (8132 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @cbishop: Curse you, cbishop!"

lol...That's so not nice. ;P

@The Dark Huntress said:
" @cbishop: I think they're a bunch of close-minded racists and dangerous ones, at that. That's all I'm saying. xP"

Now, now - to be close-minded, you must first have a mind.  Have you ever seen videos of WBC folks trying to defend their position, when challenged in public?  Every time I see one, I think, "This is a sad day for education." :{
#38 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" This is the same kind of crap that revolved around the Daredevil release... but in the end no-one cared that the Kingpin was black because the performance was the best in thw whole movie! "
Totally agreed. Michael Clarke Duncan was perfect for that part
#39 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: He really was.  And it isn't as if Heimdall has a big a role to play as Kingpin did. 

It'll all blow over when the film is actually released... Except for the idiots who are 'boycotting' it, who'll probably download it illegally instead ;p
#40 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: Probably. Bunch of savages in this world :P
#41 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

I demand more white people in Kung Fu movies! lmoa........The fact that I even heard about this irritates me. BoycottBoycotting.com will be my new site .....coming soon. lol

#42 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

Man who set a Shakespeare play in Menji era Japan makes changes to Thor film based on a comic book character who was written with little knowledge of the Mythology. 

But really from his appearances on Luther and The Wire Idris Elba just seems like the kind of guy that should be in charge of watching over a Burning Rainbow Bridge to Midgard.

#43 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" I agree that a black guy shouldn't be playing a Norse god, but I'm not going to protest against the movie. Would you guys like seeing a white guy play as some African Deity? No. Neither do I. But, I'm willing to deal with it because I really want to see this movie. It's not racist to feel like this. It just means you would rather have your actors to be more accruate to the actual lore. "
 agreed
#44 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio
@Son_of_Magnus said:
 The fact that Heimdall is a side character and probably wouldn't have that much of a role anyway? 

I could see if they made THOR himself a another ethnicity..but no
#45 Posted by daredevil21134 (11726 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
"@Hawk said:

" If the Black Guy was made up to look like a white guy would that be ok? Cause yes there aren't any Norse gods who are black......cause there where no black people there when they were creating their gods. So really it's like a white guy playing Black Jesus. "

I don't think anyone is saying it's ok.It's an obvious attempt at affirmative action.Maybe the creator thinks we'll (black people) give a damn if there are no black people in a movie about Norse Gods.The problem is that boycotting it is childish and petty.The character Idris Elba plays (Heimdall) is not the focal.Thor is, so I don't see why it matters.And when it comes to Black characters being portrayed as white...it depends on the character. If the character is insignificant and not the main character then I don't see why anyone would care.I would be mad if Black Panther was played by Johnny Depp or some other white guy but if let's say...Amanda Waller was played by a white woman in a Justice League or Superman movie..I wouldn't care..White Hollywood sometimes won't even depict REAL PEOPLE who are actually black as black in movies. (Elizabeth Taylor played Cleopatra for godsakes).That's worth a boycott... "

agreed
#46 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Those ppl should boycott the Green Lantern movie instead, it looks WAY worse than Thor.

#47 Posted by daredevil21134 (11726 posts) - - Show Bio
@mr.obvious said:
"Those ppl should boycott the Green Lantern movie instead, it looks WAY worse than Thor. "

lol
#48 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7820 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna said:
" I agree that a black guy shouldn't be playing a Norse god, but I'm not going to protest against the movie. Would you guys like seeing a white guy play as some African Deity? No. Neither do I. But, I'm willing to deal with it because I really want to see this movie. It's not racist to feel like this. It just means you would rather have your actors to be more accruate to the actual lore. "
This.
#49 Edited by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

lol.

Casting Director mildly Retarded? NO DOUBT!
It makes no sense that you would cast a black man as a Norse god. It would make no sense to have a white man play a black or Indian man either but this never stopped the Morons in Hollywood.

#50 Edited by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see boycotting the movie, but Heimdall is white in the comics and classical myth.  Nick Fury is now black in the Marvel movies.  Kingpin was made black as well.  It's no big deal.  The thing is; the likelihood of a Norse God being black in either perception or reality is nil, nada, none.  The same as an African God being white or an Asian God being either black or white.  Hollywood disregards logic when dealing with the subject of race concerning Norse Myth in this case.  The various mythologies/ancient religions of the world were created by the various peoples/races of the world, and when they depicted their deities, they depicted them as being of the same race.  I doubt a movie would be made depicting any African, Native American or Asian mythological Gods as white.  And I submit that if such a film were made, the racial/ethnic/nationality of the group whose historical deity(s) did not match there own would be likewise offended and might even boycott the movie or worse.

If a Black Panther movie were made with a long established heroic black character's race changed to white, black people wouldn't like it either.  This seems to be more of Hollywood's unofficial agenda/philosophy of political correctness.  Changing Heimdall's race from white to black doesn't make sense.  He's always been white in the comics and it's certain the vikings who created and worshipped the Norse Gods that Marvel's versions are based on considered and depicted him as white.  The people boycotting might well be racist, but why change a characters race when it's not pertinent to the plot?  As far as I know, there's been no reason to suddenly have Heimdall be anything other than white.  It seems like people on both sides of this specific instance are being too sensitive and reactionary, but changing a characters race just for the sake of a movie is exactly the kind of thing that turns many people off.   

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.