Green Lantern: Beginner's Guide to Hector Hammond

Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

The vast majority of Hal Jordan's enemies come from the far reaches of space. They're beasts from other worlds or super-powered beings ready to ravage any member of the Corps at a moments notice. However, Hector Hammond is one of the few enemies Hal Jordan has from right here on Earth. Although he was the host to the Orange Lantern entity Ophidian, Hector Hammond has no real connection to any of the corps.

The first thing everyone notices about Hal Jordan's enemy is that he's got a giant head and a flying chair. Hector's ability is that he has genius level intellect, displays telepathy, and has telekinesis. Because is head is too large, his body can no longer support it, and he is forever stuck in that pesky chair with his body strapped down to it.

While hosting the Orange Lantern entity, Ophidian, Hammond was able to access the Orange Lantern abilities without the use of an actual lantern. This character will also be featured in the upcoming Green Lantern film, played by Peter Sarsgaard. Where does Hammond come from and how will this character fit into the upcoming Green Lantern film? Is the guy with the giant head a real threat to Hal Jordan?

== TEASER ==

Hector Hammond first appeared in Green Lantern #5, back in 1961. He was what seemed to be a rich playboy with a love for science. Many of the people around him seemed terrified of him, except for Carol Ferris. Carol seems to be attracted to him a bit and vice versa. Hector, like most villains in the 60s, thinks the hero is just trying to get the girl: cue feud. Hector gets a hold of Hal's ring and ends up beating him. But wait! It wasn't really Hal! The real Hal Jordan sweeps in and save the day... A few issues later, Hector gets his giant brain, telepathy, and telekinetic powers. This "origin" of Hector Hammond has been retconned quite a few times since 1961.

During the Secret Origin story line, we discover that Hector Hammond is a bit different and his back story was shortened a little. Hector is said to be dating Carol Ferris, only later to find out they just work together and Hector is a bit obsessed with her. Hector ends up inspecting Abin Sur's crashed ship, and a fragment of a meteor affects Hector giving him all of his super-human abilities. Hector discovered that Hal is the Green Lantern with his mind-reading abilities and from there, Hector Hammond becomes Hal Jordan's enemy.

Hector is one of those enemies that will always be a massive threat to Hal's personal life on Earth just because of his abilities. He may not be able to shoot lasers out of his eyes or create devastating constructs, but he can always hurt the ones closest to Hal, even though his body is confined to a chair and he cannot move anything, unless it's with his mind.

More recently, Krona broke Hector Hammond out of his prison so he could be one with the orange lantern entity, Ophidian. Hector was then trapped inside the Book of Black. Most likely, Hector will return to Earth, only to terrorize Hal Jordan once again.

Although Hector is out of commission in the Green Lantern books right now, he will be in the upcoming Green Lantern film. As you may have seen, Hector starts out as a normal-looking guy, but over the course of the movie, he starts to transform into the giant-headed Hector that we all know and love.

He seems like he'll be one of the baddies in this film, next to Parallax, who seems like the main bad guy. From what we've seen from trailers and pictures, so far, the film version of Hector seems very much like his comic book counter-part, so fans should at least be happy with the look, especially since he actually looks pretty dark and menacing.

Hector Hammond is a pretty under-rated villain. He may not be used as much as Sinestro, Black Hand, or even Manhunters, but he's still a pretty big threat since he knows your every move.

What do you guys think? Will Hector Hammond be a good fit in this movie? What do you think about the character overall from the comic books?

Staff
#1 Posted by mohawkmoose12 (60 posts) - - Show Bio

i really feel like the threat of Hammond will definitely be overshadowed by the fact Parallax will be present.

#2 Edited by rodneyrooney (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hector will be possessed by Parallax.

#3 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio

"They say his knowledge of science is uncanny!"
"I DONT LIKE HIM!"
lol.
#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@rodneyrooney said:
I think Hector will be possessed by Parallax.
probably, i'm surprised they used him in this film
#5 Posted by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

how will they have time for sinestro?

#6 Posted by CrimsonTempest (307 posts) - - Show Bio

If they flesh out Hammond for just a little bit more than how he got his powers, he should be alright.

#7 Posted by G-Man (30358 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grim: I actually snorted when I read the "I don't like him!" part.

Staff
#8 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:

@Grim: I actually snorted when I read the "I don't like him!" part.

me too. It is snort worthy. Bronze age comics as their finest.
#9 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpidermanWins said:

how will they have time for sinestro?

Sinestro's a good guy and Hal's partner. So no need to focus on him too much.

@Grim said:

"They say his knowledge of science is uncanny!" "I DONT LIKE HIM!" lol.

"Has become the LION OF SOCIETY!"

I still can't wrap my head around that quote.

Staff
#10 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:

no yeah its a common saying. It means he sleeps all day, humps all the women, and has a big furry mane.... wait.
#11 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grim said:

@inferiorego said:

no yeah its a common saying. It means he sleeps all day, humps all the women, and has a big furry mane.... wait.

and eats gazelles.

Staff
#12 Posted by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:

@Grim said:

@inferiorego said:

and eats gazelles.

(insert photoshop of Hamond being held up on pride rock by Rafiki. include massive drooling head... and a well dressed man standing in the corner with a pack of Hyenas proclaiming "I DONT LIKE HIM!")
...if only i could photoshop....
#13 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grim said:

@inferiorego said:

@Grim said:

@inferiorego said:

and eats gazelles.

(insert photoshop of Hamond being held up on pride rock by Rafiki. include massive drooling head... and a well dressed man standing in the corner with a pack of Hyenas proclaiming "I DONT LIKE HIM!") ...if only i could photoshop....

If I wasn't at work.... I would do this in a heartbeat.

Staff
#14 Posted by SpidermanWins (3975 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grim said:
@inferiorego said:

@Grim said:

@inferiorego said:

and eats gazelles.

(insert photoshop of Hamond being held up on pride rock by Rafiki. include massive drooling head... and a well dressed man standing in the corner with a pack of Hyenas proclaiming "I DONT LIKE HIM!") ...if only i could photoshop....
LMFAO!!! Oh my god I can't stop-pic-tur-ing-IT!!!
#15 Edited by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

I only have MSPaint.... sorry

I smell ComicVine contest

Staff
#16 Edited by Grim (2079 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego:
not even 8 o clock and i already have people wishing they could goof off on the job. my work here is done. :) thanks for the Beginners guide. i never really knew his origins, just that he's easily one of the creepiest villains next to Joker.
 @ The picture: lol. Good enough!
#17 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude has a big ass head.... Just Sayin' he's like DC's MODOK.

#18 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

@Doctor!!!!! said:

Dude has a big ass head.... Just Sayin' he's like DC's MODOK.

He predates MODOK by 6 years

Staff
#19 Posted by MrMazz (1116 posts) - - Show Bio

excellent picture. At first from what ive seen of the movie he seems like a pretty silly villian big floating head and all...kinda like Modok. I guess they can make him interesting his psy powers prolly means a battle of constructs in the end though if he dosent get absorb by paralax like they show in the trailer

#20 Posted by dorsk188 (235 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMazz said:

excellent picture. At first from what ive seen of the movie he seems like a pretty silly villian big floating head and all...kinda like Modok. I guess they can make him interesting his psy powers prolly means a battle of constructs in the end though if he dosent get absorb by paralax like they show in the trailer

I'll stick up for MODOK.  His origin as an artificial organism created by AIM, that then took over AIM is fairly interesting if handled correctly.  Sure he looks silly, but there's potential there.  In contrast, Hector always seemed more like the Leader to me.  Big headed Silver Age villain that primarily serves as a foil for the hero, but without clear motivations of his own.
#21 Edited by mesosteros (145 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: he's a lady's man... oh yeah... but he is in a gay gathering? XD
#22 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

@mesosteros said:

@inferiorego: he's a lady's man... oh yeah... but he is in a gay gathering? XD

It didn't look too jovial to me either.

Staff
#23 Posted by mesosteros (145 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: They need Hugh Laurie for that
#24 Posted by sithfrog (909 posts) - - Show Bio

When Marvel and DC merged their universes to make Amalgam Comics, MODOK and Hector Hammond were merged into HECTOR  (Highly Evolved Creature Totally Oriented on Revenge), a foe of the Iron Lantern

#25 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it will add a needed dimension to the movie that will gauge more interest.  Not everyone (especially non-comic fans) will see the embodiment of Fear as an appropriate nemesis to the film so it then shows that maybe we need HH as another believable adversary for Hal to fight.  But not even Hector Hammond is what is really attracting me to this movie. Its Sinestro. My God how superb he seems!

#26 Posted by cosmo111687 (1489 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:

I only have MSPaint.... sorry

I smell ComicVine contest

Love it.
#27 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@mesosteros

is he gay, always though he was. 
#28 Posted by mesosteros (145 posts) - - Show Bio
@goldenkey: No, he is married to a woman.
#29 Posted by Samimista (20580 posts) - - Show Bio

Hector in the first picture G-Man posted reminds me of a human version of Sinestro

#30 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

"I don't like him." Best Quote Ever!!
#31 Posted by The Stegman (22779 posts) - - Show Bio

do ALL green lantern villains have that thin French mustache??

#32 Posted by Maki_P (275 posts) - - Show Bio

He seems to be getting his powers from desecrating Abin Sur's body, so he might be an ok villain

#33 Edited by NightFang (9819 posts) - - Show Bio
@Maki_P said:

He seems to be getting his powers from desecrating Abin Sur's body, so he might be an ok villain

In GL: Secret Origins it was the cure of Abin Sur spaceship.
#34 Posted by Norusdog (203 posts) - - Show Bio

this guy is stupid as shit.  MODOK's a moron.  This guy is no different.

#35 Posted by Maki_P (275 posts) - - Show Bio
@NightFang said:
@Maki_P said:

In GL: Secret Origins it was the cure of Abin Sur spaceship.
I know, but cannibalizing a ship is not the same as desecrating a hero's corpse. So he has potential
#36 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah... those big ol' HUGE headed villains...good times..

#37 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Stegman said:
do ALL green lantern villains have that thin French mustache??

Nice!
#38 Posted by TenEyedMen (211 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of wasted potential with Hector.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.