Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Edited By CountZero
    The Cover of Heavy Metal Vol. 1, No. 11
    The Cover of Heavy Metal Vol. 1, No. 11
    The Heavy Metal Magazine recaps continue this week with Volume 1, Number 11 for Feburary of 1978. Our cover art for this issue goes to the front and back, and is by Alex Niño, who is also doing a story inside this issue. In the letters column we get another letter complaining about how women are protrayed in the comics in the magazine, the second letter on the topic in 3 issues. Once again the complaint is dismissed by magazine's Associate Editor, who is also a woman. We have another letter complaining about the extremely violent stories, and excessively cynical endings, calling it, quote, "High-School Frosh Bullshit". The editors go beyond dismissing the letter, calling it "College frosh bullshit". One letter voices the writer's displeasure with the Harlan Ellison story we got earlier. The writer of that letter gets a back-handed insult too. Finally, we get a strangely complimentary letter, saying that Heavy Metal is better than being stoned. The magazine's editorial column for this issue hypes the Barbarella comic appearing in this issue.

Marvels Of The Universe by Jean "Mœbius" Giraud

Just a one-page "story" talking about a world of people who can fly.

The Airtight Garage Of Jerry Cornelius by Jean "Mœbius" Giraud

The engineer on the run, Barnabus, finds someone else's meal, left unattended, steals it and highs. Meanwhile, Sam and his traveling companion are dreading the impending attack from enemy troops. Major Grubert continues to approach his objective - a Bakelite Masoleum. But first he must use a secret passage between levels - and at this point I finally realize that all of this is taking place within Cornelius's garage! To Be Continued.

Den by Richard Corben

The search parties are still out looking for Den. However, he's saved by a woman who used to be part of Ard's harem, until he sentenced her to death for failing to cause him to get an erection. She managed to escape though. Meanwhile, the ceremony for the sacrifice continues. To Be Continued.

The Winter Of The Last Combat by Victor Mora and Luis Garcia

This is something of a dark fantasy story like the earlier Conquering Armies stories, except on real earth, with the protagonist being a crusader returned from the Holy Land, only to find his village that was his home contending with the Black Death. The knight rescues a woman from a house that wsa going to be burned down with people inside, a woman who is apparently a witch. To Be Continued.

Diabolical Planet by Denis Sire

This is the sequel to Operation Omega, maintaining the semi-pulp art style. Jim Morris is designing a new ship to head out and find his beloved, who was lost in space in the events of Operation Omega. The ship is designed and launched, with Jim aboard. To Be Continued.

From Urm The Mad by Philippe Druillet
    From Urm The Mad by Philippe Druillet
    Urm The Mad by Philippe Druillet

This is a sort of fantastic horror story, about a horribly disfigured man who is chosen by eldritch beings to be his impliment of world domination. Druillet has some excellent art here. To Be Continued.

World Famous... by Patrick Lesueur and Alain

This is a more abstract comedy, about going to a revue of all the cultural things which made Paris great, after Paris was destroyed.

The Burial Of Death bu Alex Niño

Just a painting with no story to it.

Venus - Ah, Venus by Richard Allen Lupoff and Cathy McGinty

This is our prose story of the issue, from the same guy who wrote the "Marty Grass" story which I wasn't too fond of. This story's about an unemployed man who wants to to the Venus of the science fiction stories - the mysterious jungle world Venus, though he thinks that's impossible because science has proven that Venus is nothing like that. Then an alien shows up who offers him a way to get to that Venus. The problem is, when he shows up at that Venus, he's now transformed into a native Venusian, and he's a slave.

Telefield: Second Episode by Sergio Macedo

The little story about trancendentalism continues, and is To Be Continued. I have to say that I like this series thus far - it's not dark, it's not cynical, it's not violent particularly. This portion of the story reminds me of some of The Beatles stuff after they discover Ravi Shankar & go to India. Tomorrow Never Knows & Within You Without You, that sort of thing.

Age Of Ages by Akbar Del Piombo and Norman Rubington

Oh my fucking god! I thought I was free of this crap! Why, God, why?! ENNNNNNNND!

Free Fall by Jean "Mœbius" Giraud

A man runs through a forest, fall through a hole in the ground, keeps falling through various strange worlds before landing on earth and causing a nuclear explosion near a small city.

Barbarella: The Moon Child! by Jean-Claude Forest

Barbarella's new assignment is to enter the dreams of a Cosmonaut who had gone past the boundary of the known universe, and has returned, but in a strange sleep state. Barbarella makes contact with the Cosmonaut, who, in his dreamscape, is building a space ship, he'd just finished it when she makes contact with them, and they take off togeather. To Be Continued.

1996 by Chantal Montellier

The start of another multi-part story about someone going hardware shopping.

I'm not very impressed with this issue. We get more Age of Ages, which I hate, the Barbarella story doesn't seem to make any sense thus far, and 1996 still rubs me the wrong way. I'm also really not happy about how the magazine treats its critics in it's letter column. I am interested to see where most of the new ongoing series though. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.