Sorry But Here's A Look At Hawkman On Smallville...

• 97 results
Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of us are getting excited over the upcoming two-part Smallville/ Justice Society episodes.  I did mention last week that it was decided to combine the two into a two-hour movie 'event' that would air on January 29, 2010, but that date has been changed.  The episodes will be shown instead on February 5, 2010.

Besides the fact that both these episodes are written by Geoff Johns, Tom Welling will also be directing the second one.  You've probably heard that Michael Shanks will be playing Hawkman and you've probably been wondering what he'll look like.  TV Guide has an exclusive image that may answer that question for us.  Are you ready?

There's no word on if that's a final shot or if any finishing touches will be added.  Click HERE for an interview with Shanks about the episode.  I could be wrong but something about it feels off.  This is the problem with trying to translate comic characters into live action.  What do you think?
Staff
#1 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing.

#2 Posted by danhimself (22578 posts) - - Show Bio

wow they actually went with his real costume....bad idea

#3 Posted by MichaeltheFly (6555 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

#4 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Credit to them for going with the genuine costume and trying to keep a sense of familiarity with the character. But this is one choice I think that could have done with some artistic license on the character's appearance.....something about it seems to 'iffy' but I can't quite put my finger on it.

#5 Posted by Shanana (53030 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, I'm feeling some kind of way about the original costume...

#6 Posted by Decept-O (7279 posts) - - Show Bio

What feels "off"?  What is wrong with his costume?  They did better than the comic book, they gave him black pants instead of the gawd-awful green tights and red trunks.   

Y'all quit yer belly-achin'.  Sheesh.
#7 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

Well when it comes to smallville you will realize these early released pics never look like the final. The wings will probably be CGIed over and the angle of the actor in the pic is causing foreshortening which makes hime look AWKWARD XD, the finished tv version should be ok. But I never really cared for hawkman's costume and think they could have streamlined it more or updated for the show.

#8 Posted by Vortex13 (12252 posts) - - Show Bio

This reminds me of the Flash Gordon movie of course.

#9 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:
"What feels "off"?  What is wrong with his costume?  They did better than the comic book, they gave him black pants instead of the gawd-awful green tights and red trunks.    Y'all quit yer belly-achin'.  Sheesh. "

they're still green pants
#10 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

No way are those wings big enough.

#11 Posted by Shanana (53030 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks like a mannequin

#12 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3556 posts) - - Show Bio

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAaaaa! **gasping for breath** AHAHAHAhahahaha!!!

They wont give Clark Red, Blue, and Yellow; but they do that for Hawkman?

FLASH GORDON: Vultan
Oh my LORD! It took a minute, but I realized where I've seen that look before. The Flash Gordon movie. I think those are the same kind of wings.
#13 Posted by Sparda (15795 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
" AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAaaaa! **gasping for breath** AHAHAHAhahahaha!!!

They wont give Clark Red, Blue, and Yellow; but they do that for Hawkman? "
Sort of my thoughts.

Also, I figured out (for me) why he looks so weird-he's not buff enough for his costume (IMO).
#14 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sparda said: Sort of my thoughts.  Also, I figured out (for me) why he looks so weird-he's not buff enough for his costume (IMO). "

Exactly
#15 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

wow....thats really Hawkman.
#16 Posted by KansetsuWaza (24 posts) - - Show Bio

whose the skinny retard in the hawkman suit? and...are those wings from flash gordon!?....thats gay lol smallville sucks!
#17 Posted by comicbufftoughstuff (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad he is wearing a costume so similar to the comics, the society is supposed to represent experienced superheroes, no doubt they will hint to clark taking on a real costume, just hope this isnt the final shot...
#18 Posted by Omega The Supreme Being (139 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the problem here is that he's skinny not buff 

#19 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Original,nice!

#20 Posted by Quest (108 posts) - - Show Bio

ya he is skinny and it kinda looks bad

#21 Posted by King Quisling (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha! :D I want one. 

#22 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow.....ew.

#23 Posted by Niko (34 posts) - - Show Bio

If only Clark would get his comic outfit already.

#24 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm getting "Flash Gordon" flashbacks.

#25 Edited by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: why is it a bad idea?...for as long as i can remember people/fans always complains about the poor superheros/supervilliains outfits choice in t.v. shows,movies,etc.I think out of smallville's characters outfits they actually went with one person with his original outfit,come on Geoff must have a good reason for it...right?
#26 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazed h3ro: Its just he's going to look a lil out of place I think. Most of the characters on Smallville have no costume, or in Green Arrow's case it at least looks semi-normal. He can blend in, but its gonna be hard to stay inconspicuous when your running around looking like a 6ft pigeon.
#27 Posted by daveydavey (359 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vortex13:
I Does!....Hahaha
#28 Posted by danhimself (22578 posts) - - Show Bio
@crazed h3ro:  did you look at the picture?
#29 Posted by Lady Tlieso (10198 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he looks that bad, at least they didn't make him emo-Hawk or something.

#30 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler: good point...  ^_^
#31 Posted by rightprice (331 posts) - - Show Bio

I was always a big fan of the Stargate SG-1 series and think that Michael Shanks is a really good actor who could portrey a superhero very well, but he just isn't big enough or heavily muscled enough to play Hawkman,  at least in that particular costume.     

#32 Posted by Grim (2080 posts) - - Show Bio

he looks like a doof. this whole time they have been updating perfectly good costumes to look more mordern, and now their just tossing that away with the JSA? i swear, these people are slowly breaking every rule this show was based on. 

still, if jeph wrote this it has to be at least 110% better than anything in the last 3 seasons...

#33 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

stuuuuuupid
#34 Posted by RedGhostman (104 posts) - - Show Bio

That image looks really computer generated. Like a graphic image. It could just be me.

#35 Posted by E.I.S.A.M. (369 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks fat in the gut, but his arms are skinny. He looks stupid, kinda like the very show he's gonna be on. Sorry Smallville fans, but the show sucks. Want a better alternate reality for Superman? Petition DC comics to do one themselves.

#36 Posted by NightFang (10074 posts) - - Show Bio

It does feel a like off, hopefully the'll fix it. Other then that he looks better then I thought he would.

#37 Posted by Pez85 (205 posts) - - Show Bio
@rightprice:
Agreed. Michael Shanks is great and all, but he's a poor fit for Hawkman. Maybe it's just me, but I think he would've made a better Mr. Terrific (albeit, a caucasian one).
#38 Posted by The Clock King (42 posts) - - Show Bio

If they are presenting him as a teen (I dunno, I'm just speculating due to how they've potrayed a lot of characters thus far) then the lean look is semi "realistic". How many teens are there that are ludicrously muscular in the way that the character is usually portrayed in the books?

#39 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio

woah
#40 Posted by SuperXAsh (510 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah my only gripe is how... well... scrawny Hawkman looks. other than that, not a real bad job at all.
#41 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2317 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt: lmao well clark isn't allowed to wear the RED, YELLOW, and  BLUE, the show does not have the right to use the trademarked costume, but they were allowed Hawkman's
#42 Posted by SuperXAsh (510 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah my only gripe is how... well... scrawny Hawkman looks. other than that, not a real bad job at all.
#43 Posted by SuperXAsh (510 posts) - - Show Bio

#44 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3556 posts) - - Show Bio
@EnSabahNurX: 
Yeah, that falls under the category of, "Just because you can do something. It doesn't mean you should.".
#45 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Pic looks faithful.

#46 Posted by Obsurity (263 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks pretty awful...

#47 Posted by thedanofsteel (2 posts) - - Show Bio

That's cool - might be just the angle not making him look beefy enough - but I'm really keen on seeing Dr Fates helmet show up - that will rock!    

#48 Posted by Crazy Pan (708 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not a fan of Smallville--at all. I know it should be treated as if it were another universe and bla bla bla but SHEESH! It just feels like to me that every time they throw something in there they just totally disregard the comics time lines. And that Hawkman looks WAY too scrawny.

C'mon now! That is how he should look! MANLY! RAA!
#49 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler said:

" @crazed h3ro: Its just he's going to look a lil out of place I think. Most of the characters on Smallville have no costume, or in Green Arrow's case it at least looks semi-normal. He can blend in, but its gonna be hard to stay inconspicuous when your running around looking like a 6ft pigeon. "

yeah it's also pretty hard to stay inconspicuous when you're Flying!

suspend your beliefs people.They've had Doomsday for chrisakes and countless other weird looking super people besides if anyone is going to appear in costume I'd rather it be a classic character like Hawkman than some other young character with a hoodie.
#50 Posted by Koeil (256 posts) - - Show Bio

They just destroyed it for me.....i will never watch this episode

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.