Why Is Hawkgirl Not More Popular?

• 74 results
#51 Posted by Bruxae (12596 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkgirl is one of my favorite characters and im sad not to see her around. Hawkman is laaaame, always strikes me as a DC version of Wolverine.

#52 Edited by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

At theend of the day derivative characters are usually less popular than the character they're based on.

Robin is less popular than Batman

Supergirl is less popular than Superman

Winter Solder is less popular than Captain America, etc.

Now, take a character like Hawkman who's already not very popular and the character based on him isn't going to even less popular.

#53 Posted by ShowboatingPenguin (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg:

@fodigg said:

It's a sad state indeed. They should have put her on the JL in the reboot.

No...just no.

#54 Edited by SupBatz (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

At theend of the day derivative characters are usually less popular than the character they're based on.

Robin is less popular than Batman

Supergirl is less popular than Superman

Winter Solder is less popular than Captain America, etc.

Now, take a character like Hawkman who's already not very popular and the character based on him isn't going to even less popular.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree. But I feel like Hawkman has gotten so little exposure to the non-comic book world that Hawkgirl is a more easily recognizable figure.

#55 Posted by Ashank51 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hawkman and Hawkwoman rant popular because they're origins have never been clear. Personally I would prefer if they aren't aliens i like the idea of hawk girl being a treasure hunter like in Earth 2. Or in the case of Hawkman just an archeologist with past lives.

#56 Edited by deaditegonzo (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, shes a little too corny and shes just the female rendition of another character... an unpopular other character at that.

#57 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc:

dude did you drw that? your incredible!!!!!

#58 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually love her. I grew up with her on the JL and JLU animated series'. so in my perfect world the Justice League comic would be

-batman

-Superman

-Wonderwoman

-Hawkgirl

-Wally west

-John stewart

-Martian Manhunter

#59 Posted by dcdyno (130 posts) - - Show Bio

she was part of jl tas because she was female and could replace aquaman

#60 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6023 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade:

Man I wish she was in the main DC Universe instead of Earth 2. I hate Hawkman!! I used to love Shayera from the Justice League cartoon.

#61 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6023 posts) - - Show Bio

@cerealkiller: I has the same experience.

Liefeld ruined her and Hawkman. I'm waiting around for their story to catch up in Earth 2, because the main Earth's version became unreadable to me.

He ruins every character he gets his hands on. He ruined Deathstroke until a new writer took it over.

#62 Posted by Justthatkid (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: The dark skin isn't a problem to me but I'm confused I know this is canon but why was Warhawk light skinned?

#63 Edited by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, shes a little too corny and shes just the female rendition of another character... an unpopular other character at that.

Hawkman unpopular? I always thought he was one of DC's top B-listers alongside Green Arrow, The Atom and Black Canary.

#64 Posted by COBRAMORPH (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

She is also too anchored to Hawkman. The continuous cycle of love, death and rebirth makes them hard to pull apart and let Hawkgirl do her own damn thing.

Thats because outside of the romance, she is Hawkman's Robin, since there really hasnt been much of a Hawk-Boy sidekick. DC has never tried to get over with the fans that Dick became Nightwing either. All DC cares about is the silverage top tier of Supes, Bats, WW, Hal, Barry, & maybe Aquaman.

They also seem to have a hatred of the DCAU, i think because they are jealous of how good it was. They cancel it & yet nothing since has been as popular. Just a bunch of standalone movies, & TV shows that end after a few seasons. They killed the Question & Shayera in the comics, swap Supergirls, & after John Stewart gets some air time, they replace Kyle with Hal, who was dead.

Also, I'm sorry but the Hawks really arent all that interesting. Space cops who dress like birds. Ok. A GL is better. They are a concept that might have worked in the 40's, but not today. The goldenage versions are just humans that can fly. they arent really any better than the Bullet-couple.

& then there is the story continuity mess, which I never understood how it could be a problem, yet Alan Scott was never a problem with other GLs flying around.

#65 Posted by GrenadeFlow (1360 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Hawkgirl ever get with John Stewart in the comics?

I would read that

#66 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc said:

I actually love her. I grew up with her on the JL and JLU animated series'. so in my perfect world the Justice League comic would be

-batman

-Superman

-Wonderwoman

-Hawkgirl

-Wally west

-John stewart

-Martian Manhunter

Good thing we don't live in this world.

#67 Posted by LyraFay (2470 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its complicated backstories that stops her from being recognised as an interesting character out of her and even Hawkman, and I like the idea of archaeologists having past lives but DC have chosen to give them alien route which is stupid (how many of those have you got?)

And no, I don't think DC comics was jealous of the DCAU when it came to her, it was just fitting her and Hawkman into the world where they didn't appear cheesy and ridiculous in modern situations unlike Green Arrow and Black Canary (whose not a b-lister) who managed to alter to fit those situations easily. Unfortunately this happens a lot in modern comics.

#68 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Because DC can't make up their minds on who is Hawkgirl and what her story is.

They tried to make Kendra happen while JLU was still airing and she was pretty well received, but then they killed her off to bring back the more recognizable Shiera only to send her away as well. The reboot would have been a great way to straighten things about, but the Hawks are forever doomed to be damned with unnecessary continuity. Currently Kendra occupies Earth-2, while Shayera is seemingly dead (and unrecognizable as a character, to be honest) on Prime-Earth.

I would like to see Shayera show up again and be refreshed to finally get her shining moments. All of that, complete with red hair and costume that doesn't suck.

#69 Posted by Primebonnick (1742 posts) - - Show Bio

I love her especially in the JL/JLU cartoons. Hope we see her more like that.

#70 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (136 posts) - - Show Bio

I love her especially in the JL/JLU cartoons. Hope we see her more like that.

It's a shame DC never made an attempt to capitalize on Hawkgirl's popularity.

#71 Edited by CaptainMarvel4Ever (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably because she has to compete with Hawkman, who I personally think is a more interesting character. Of course, that's just my opinion. In any case she seems to be doing good in Earth 2.

#72 Edited by Jayc1324 (9346 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't know she exists without the justice league cartoon

#73 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11092 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Hawkgirl ever get with John Stewart in the comics?

I would read that

Nope but she did get with Roy Harper.

#74 Posted by Kazuma_Bushi (778 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why either. She's attractive enough to be more popular, the art in this thread is awesome. I think DC needs to revamp her and more her more interesting. The Earth 2 version of her isn't doing much for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.