Why Is Hawkgirl Not More Popular?

• 73 results
#1 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1236 posts) - - Show Bio
Golden Age History, Badass Attitude, Gorgeous Look, Great Mythology, and Female. Shouldn't She Be As Big As Storm Or Wonder Woman?
#2 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Not in the New 52 reality, the way she's being portrayed, I know that for sure, especially since we have both Kendra AND Shyera playing different versions now. Still trying to wonder who dropped the ball on that one...

#3 Posted by Pokeysteve (7013 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hawk family in general tends to fly under the radar.

Didn't mean to make the pun but I'll allow it.

#4 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19489 posts) - - Show Bio

Writers don't use her as much. Heck, Hawkman barely gets the recognition he deserves.

#5 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Kendra has been dumped into earth 2 so she can be forgotten already. The main earth has Shayera who is not playing super hero. Looks like dc has decided to only use Hawkman for the main earth, for now. So looks like both Kendra and Shayera can be forgotten, for now.

#6 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

People only know of her through the TAS JL cartoon

#7 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11723 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

People only know of her through the TAS JL cartoon

because for the most part, non comic book fans are lazy and will only pay attention to the characters who have been shoved in their faces since birth.

#8 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11723 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Kendra has been dumped into earth 2 so she can be forgotten already. The main earth has Shayera who is not playing super hero. Looks like dc has decided to only use Hawkman for the main earth, for now. So looks like both Kendra and Shayera can be forgotten, for now.

why does Earth-2 mean that they must automatically be forgotten? Its one of the best books of the New 52

#9 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

when i was 12 i didn't read comics but i loved all the super hero cartoons, like batman and batman beyond and x-men evolution, and Shayera was my favourite character from Justice League! i thought she was so badass and pretty, i basically wanted to be her. Her and John stewart were the first cartoon couple i ever loved together too and i remember my little tweenager self practically cheering when they finally kissed one episode haha.

Ah, now i feel all nostalgic.

#10 Posted by Aiden Cross (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

I always liked Hawkman over Hawkgirl..

#11 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkman and Hawkgirl can still be seen in the Young Justice cartoons. I think the cartoons have continued to use the Thanagarian versions just like in the Justice League cartoons for consistency. In the comics, since Kendra Hawkgirl got dumped into earth 2, there don't seem to be any plans to use Kendra in the Justice League. Kendra will soon enjoy the company of the unpopular Red Tornado who also got dumped into earth 2.

#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11723 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Hawkman and Hawkgirl can still be seen in the Young Justice cartoons. I think the cartoons have continued to use the Thanagarian versions just like in the Justice League cartoons for consistency.

more like cameos, same with anyone who isnt in the big 7. on an unrelated note, how come you never use the reply/quote button.

In the comics, since Kendra Hawkgirl got dumped into earth 2, there don't seem to be any plans to use Kendra in the Justice League. Kendra will soon enjoy the company of the unpopular Red Tornado who also got dumped into earth 2.

why does she need to be in the Justice League to be remembered/popular?

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

1.She's female 
2.She's not a major member of a popular team 
3.She doesn't have an ongoing 
4.Justice League Unlimited doesn't come on anymore

#14 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11723 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

1.She's female 2.She's not a major member of a popular team 3.She doesn't have an ongoing 4.Justice League Unlimited doesn't come on anymore

3 out of 4 aint bad.....unless you meant new episodes exclusively.

#15 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

3 out of 4 aint bad.....unless you meant new episodes exclusively.

Yea, they'd need new episodes because JLU wasn't heavy on Hawkgirl but it was the last Justice League series. I could go for a new series entirely but with more Hawkgirl,Aquaman,& Kyle Rayner instead of John Stewart.
#16 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

I would blame it on pretty much bad continuity problems

first she was in WWII, then she was an alien, then she was the reincarnated spirit of her an egypcian empress and then she stop being Hawkgirl to be Hawkwoman

is just really really hard to point out what is exactly the character that you like

#17 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkgirl has not really been popular so dc has tried many reboots or versions since the golden age. Golden age had the egyptian Hawkgirl Shiera. Silver age had the thanagarian hawkgirl (hawkwoman in the bronze age). Post-coie had a reboot of the thanagarian hawkwoman. DC decided to try the egyptian Hawkgirl again with a new body named Kendra Saunders. Post flashpoint we have another reboot and Kendra Saunders is now in earth 2 with darker skin.

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (13684 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I liked her a lot in the JLA cartoon but that was it.From what I have seen in the comic books she isn't interesting to me and I would choose Hawkman over her at any time.

#19 Edited by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve said:

The Hawk family in general tends to fly under the radar.

Didn't mean to make the pun but I'll allow it.

This basically. The Hawkfamily is an absolute mess that writers don't know what to do with.

Give me Shayera from the cartoon anyday.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27345 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus: Do we?
#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27345 posts) - - Show Bio
@colonyofcells: if by "darker skin" you mean Latin American then sure
#22 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Darker skin is the accurate description for the earth 2 rebooted Hawkgirl Kendra Saunders. In central america and south america, there have been white invaders and also some intermarriages and there are also imports from Africa and more intermarriages, so mentioning skin tones is more accurate in describing people. I am from the Philippines and we also have a few white spaniards still around, some are whiter from intermarriage with the spaniards or chinese. My father is chinese but had lots of sun exposure from electrician work and manual work so he has very dark skin for a chinese. My chinese mother would always joke that my father had the malay brown skin tones.

#23 Posted by SUNMAN (6905 posts) - - Show Bio

Outside of the Justice League cartoon she's barely been used. Also her and Hawkman have some wanky continuity. In the comics the only time she's ever gotten a significant push was, Brightest Day, that one Justice League run and Earth 2. And all those came after the Justice League/ Justice League Unlimited Cartoon.

Unlike X-23 (from X-men Evolution), DC failed to capitalize on Hawkgirls popularity

#24 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Dc is right in focusing on Hawkman first who unfortunately is at the bottom of the pile right now. But we do have both Shayera and Kendra so they are still doing better than Wally West, Mary Marvel and the Lieutenant Marvels.

#25 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, she's un appealing, not cool and i don't have like any interest in her

#26 Posted by SupBatz (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

She was my favorite part of JL:TAS. Unfortunately, DC never took the opportunity to expand upon her in comics. She hardly exists in comics at this point and really lacks any major stories or development. If DC ever does decide to expand the character, though, they should definitely look to TAS and JLU.

#27 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: You should also count that DC don’t know how to use magic character or the use of magic in their stories.

Hawk girls club is magic tech. That combination has not been used well in DC.

#28 Posted by herrweis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

.The real reason is that she is not interesting,at all.period.

#29 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamesKM716 said:

To me, she's un appealing, not cool and i don't have like any interest in her

Tell us how you really feel.

#30 Posted by Wboy (440 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

because for the most part, non comic book fans are lazy and will only pay attention to the characters who have been shoved in their faces since birth.

.....Are you saying these people should gain a sudden interest in specific characters among 38476717 different ones and start researching them to become their #1 fans or what? "Cuz they're lazy"..pft.

#31 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11723 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wboy said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

.....Are you saying these people should gain a sudden interest in specific characters among 38476717 different ones and start researching them to become their #1 fans or what? "Cuz they're lazy"..pft.

please. most non comic fans don't even put in the effort to learn about the characters they actually claim to be interested in. and yes, if you can constantly bitch about no gay/bi/black/latino/heffalump superheroes, than you should at least look for some. its called google, it takes 5 seconds and is pretty damn easy to use.

#32 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio
Black & White
B & W: Hawkgirl
B & W: Hawkgirl
Hawkgirl

It's because they don't draw her like this all the time.

#33 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

For the justice league cartoons, they wanted more females so Hawkgirl was chosen over Hawkman. For New 52, Dc has decided to go with Katar Hol Hawkman for the solo title and JLA.

#34 Posted by zdub1216 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't read comic books, but I loved the Justice League cartoon! I thought Shayera was a great character!! She quite possibly had the best character development arc on the show. She went from being bold, brash, and insensitive to being courageous, thoughtful, and selfless. She juxtaposes Wonder Woman very well. Wonder Woman is self-righteous, capable, and tenacious. Shayera, on the other hand, possesses the same courage but less physical strength than Wonder Woman. She is less sure of herself and of right and wrong. She demonstrates that she is more willing to love (she dates Hawkman and Green Lantern, whereas Wonderman is single throughout the show). In other words, Hawkgirl is an extremely relateable heroine, and counteracts Wonder Woman's perfection rather nicely.

#35 Posted by Teerack (4548 posts) - - Show Bio

Because they didn't sex her up enough.

#36 Posted by Lvenger (16017 posts) - - Show Bio

Not enough publicity or awareness about Hawkgirl. She hasn't been pushed enough to go places in the comic book industry.

#37 Posted by Black_Claw (2813 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman: that's actually the perfect explanation. They failed to capitalize on John Stewart and Static as well.

#38 Posted by Xwraith (10870 posts) - - Show Bio

DC doesn't know how to use her properly.

#39 Posted by Outside_85 (7088 posts) - - Show Bio

I am putting it down to DC being unable to make Hawkman work for very long at a time and for some reason being unable to move on from him. It is ofc not helped by the constantly recurring idea that Hawkgirl is nailed, bolted and riveted to Hawkman the same way Robin is to Batman which prevents character growth.

#40 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

idk man. i freaking love the character but they just wont use her. the earth 2 version is bland. 'ha ha i am a woman of weapons. silly weapons. fear me'

#41 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkman overshadows her.

She also couldn't carry a series by herself, she would never be as known as she is today if not for JLU.

#42 Edited by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro said:

1.She's female

2.She's not a major member of a popular team

3.She doesn't have an ongoing

4.Justice League Unlimited doesn't come on anymore

It's a sad state indeed. They should have put her on the JL in the reboot. Hawkman has been such an awful, scatter-brained character for so long they could have just dropped him in favor of a well-executed Hawkgirl.

#43 Posted by Mara (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I have NOOOO idea why Storm is even popular.

#44 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

@mara said:

I do but I don't know what that has to do with Hawkgirl.

#45 Posted by Mara (42 posts) - - Show Bio

@mara said:

I do but I don't know what that has to do with Hawkgirl.

OP asked why Hawkgirl is not as big as Storm or Wonder Woman.

#46 Posted by Vance Astro (90726 posts) - - Show Bio

@mara said:

OP asked why Hawkgirl is not as big as Storm or Wonder Woman.

Oh, because X-Men>Justice League.

#47 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3317 posts) - - Show Bio

Liefeld ruined her and Hawkman. I'm waiting around for their story to catch up in Earth 2, because the main Earth's version became unreadable to me.

#48 Posted by bornonamonday (54 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Hawkgirl and I agree she needs to be featured more in a comic or two

#49 Posted by BlackWind (4013 posts) - - Show Bio

She is also too anchored to Hawkman. The continuous cycle of love, death and rebirth makes them hard to pull apart and let Hawkgirl do her own damn thing.

#50 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no idea, I prefer Hawkgirl over Hawkman anyday.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.