Change Name-Title "Hawkgirl" to "Hawkwoman"

#1 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or does anyone here think that HAWKGIRL should change her name to HAWKWOMAN. Every time I hear her name I think that Hawman has a teenage sidekick instead of a full grown woman. And every time that I see and hear about their relationships it sounds like adult-teen romance...which is forbidden in the US (look back in the Captain Marvel/Stargirl relationship, the JSA thought that it was wrong...).

#2 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
" "
If you can't say anything nice... then take your on advice.  AMP asked a perfectly reasonable question.
#4 Posted by Portrait (4485 posts) - - Show Bio
@AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge: I agree. I think a large part of it was that Kendra was not willing to take up that mantle yet. I would not be surprised if she took up the Hawkwoman name very soon in the wake of Blackest Night.
#5 Edited by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

@AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge:

@xerox-kitty:

Hawkwoman is another character the Hawkgirl name goes to the character that is reincarnated, Hawkwoman is the alien. 

In short the name should not be changed.

#6 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam: He's not asking for the CV page to be changed.  Just if it's time for DC to change the character's name.  After all, who calls Sue Richards the Invisible Girl any more?  And there have been so many characters in the DCU with the same name, that one more wont hurt.
#7 Posted by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote on the Name Change
#8 Posted by Lustwish (531 posts) - - Show Bio

Her name doesn't bother me.  But now that you have opened the can or worms, and suggested her name to be changed, what would you call her?
Now knowing she can't changed it to Hawkwoman.

#9 Posted by harleyquinn12 (1767 posts) - - Show Bio

That's a good idea, especially after she was resurected after Blackest Night as Sheira.
#10 Posted by danhimself (22480 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl is in her late 20's and she's still Power GIRL

#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" Power Girl is in her late 20's and she's still Power GIRL "
She's just in denial ;)
#12 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the main reason why they call her Hawkgirl instead of Hawkwoman is because it's not as catchy. Barbara Gordon was in her mid-20's when she became Batgirl & they still called her Batgirl.
#13 Posted by comicguy9 (80 posts) - - Show Bio

shes old enough
#14 Posted by 614azrael (10307 posts) - - Show Bio
@yo_yo_fun:
Tht was my opinion on the mater. Dosent have the same ring to it. An in truth flow of a name while it may not mater for side characters is highly important for central characters
#15 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@614azrael said:
" @yo_yo_fun: Tht was my opinion on the mater. Dosent have the same ring to it. An in truth flow of a name while it may not mater for side characters is highly important for central characters "
Yeah, "Hawkwoman" sounds kind of dumb.
#16 Posted by 614azrael (10307 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham:
Xactly
#17 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

The only reason these characters go by the suffix "girl" rather than "woman" is because the extra sylable changes the pattern of the word and extra sylables on words don't usually sound right, that's why I don't really like the suffix "woman" to be applied to a character (whether they deserve it or not) and I guess that's why comics don't have it either.
#18 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge: was just thinking about this, and she should change it
#19 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, I like the name  Hawkgirl  
Hawkwoman sounds too long and doesn't flow as good. [: 

#20 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge said:
"  Is it just me or does anyone here think that HAWKGIRL should change her name to HAWKWOMAN. Every time I hear her name I think that Hawman has a teenage sidekick instead of a full grown woman. And every time that I see and hear about their relationships it sounds like adult-teen romance...which is forbidden in the US (look back in the Captain Marvel/Stargirl relationship, the JSA thought that it was wrong...). "
ooo when did this romance happen? [: I'm very intrigued.
#21 Edited by ComicMan24 (147080 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb:  There was something between them but the JSA didn't know he was really a sixteen years old boy. He didn't want to reveal his secret identity so they broke up. Pretty much this.
#22 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24:  Awwh :( do you know any back issues I could hunt and read with their relationship in? -  They seem like they'd be such a cute couple. 
#23 Posted by ComicMan24 (147080 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb: I'm sorry, I don't know the exact issues. But it's in the JSA series that started in 1999.
#24 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24:  Thank you ^_^ hopefully someone else can help me out on that front
#25 Posted by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

i prefer Hawkwoman :)
#26 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio
@LT1085 said:
" "
LOL.
#27 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: i ALWAYS THOUGHT OF HER AS 19 or something. I can see the name change their.....POWERWOMAN!
#28 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was Hawkwoman,

She should keep it, even if she is a...................... little................too.............mature(that was close) 
Just Sayin'

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.