Hawkeye #9

Posted by G-Man (30607 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

Guess what? Once again, Matt Fraction and David Aja have delivered an amazing issue of HAWKEYE. Simply put, this isn't your typical Hawkeye comic. We've seen him many times before in comics and he's managed to venture into other depictions in movies and the animated series. Whether it's been solo stories or with the Avengers, West Coast Avengers or Thunderbolts, Hawkeye has faced incredible odds. That isn't necessarily what this comic is about and it doesn't have to be.

Matt Fraction has given us a Hawkeye that is truly human. This is a guy without superpowers (well, that could be argued by a certain character in this issue). We're seeing Hawkeye deal with smaller threats but that hasn't stopped the charm and excitement of the series.

This may be a superhero comic but it's more about the story. Fraction consistently keeps us hooked with his mix of humor, action and suspense. The addition of David Aja's art and Matt Hollingsworth's colors keeps this comic feeling like it exists in its own little world. Where does this Avengers-related comic fit in with the other Avengers titles? Who cares? This is a comic of pure entertainment. I just can't get enough.

Even though it might seem like the issue is just light-hearted fun as Hawkeye has to deal with the women in his life and how he keeps upsetting them, there is more to the story than that. There's some big stuff coming up.

The Bad

Even when things start to go bad, this comic continues to entertain and it just puts me in a good mood.

The Verdict

HAWKEYE is the comic you absolutely should be reading. The team of Fraction and Aja continues to deliver great stories month after month. With a slightly more grounded take on the Avengers world, you get completely pulled into the story and you'll savor every moment of it. We may not get big crazy superhero battles but that's not what this series is about. This is about a guy with a bow and arrow and the people in his life. That may not sound like much but it's all about the execution that Fraction and Aja managed to pull off in each issue. I wish more comics were like HAWKEYE.

Staff
#1 Posted by judasnixon (6159 posts) - - Show Bio

Best panel ever.......

#2 Posted by dreamfall31 (517 posts) - - Show Bio

Was soooo looking forward to this, but I'm the only one who buys this comic at my shop, so they only order my pull list copy and they forgot to do that since it hadn't have an issue since Feb!

#3 Edited by Chewish (38 posts) - - Show Bio

<p>Great review Tony! I love this comic sooo much! Like you said, more comics should be like Hawkeye. It seems nowadays that more and more comics are gritty and depressing and dark, while this book just brightens up my whole day. Can't wait to pick this up later today!</p>

#4 Edited by Dabee (2379 posts) - - Show Bio

Gah... why can't Matt Fraction write ONE bad issue? Is it really too much to ask? That goes for you too, Aja and Hollingsworth.

#5 Posted by Oscars94 (2322 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the Bullseye target a new thing for Hawkeye? Do they sell those shirts IRL? :D

#6 Edited by knightofthechronicle (639 posts) - - Show Bio

Has this comic ever gotten less than a five star rating!? My comic shop doesn't have any of the earlier issues so does anyone know when it comes out in trade?

#7 Posted by Akindoodle (972 posts) - - Show Bio

Has this comic ever gotten less than a five star rating!? My comic shop doesn't have any of the earlier issues so does anyone know when it comes out in trade?

It's already out. "My Life as a Secret Weapon" or something of the sorts

#8 Edited by ComicKing7 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't actually like the spider woman and hawkeye relationship. What ever happened to Mockingbird and hawk eye?

#9 Edited by daredevil21134 (10762 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me guess,more of Hawkeye getting beat up and looking incompetent and more of Kate Bishop kicking ass and disrespecting him

#10 Posted by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved this issue

#12 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the few comics out there, that I'll still pay full price for.

#13 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

I fully support the review above. I loved this issue... As much as a ladies' man he might be, the emotional side of these relationships doesn't get explored much. And not just romantic relationships, like that of Kate's and BW's.

I love how "Cherry's" real name was so bluntly revealed in the reader's face.

Plus, I no longer feel bad that Bobbi and Clint broke it off and then how he begun dating Jessica right afterwards...

#14 Posted by QuantomMan (216 posts) - - Show Bio

Best panel ever.......

LOL, agreed. Just read it. It was perfect

#15 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (5999 posts) - - Show Bio

I expected nothing but 5 stars

#16 Posted by manwithoutshame (615 posts) - - Show Bio

the last panel was the highlight for me, lol.

#17 Posted by skyjumpermike (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the character on the last page a new character or someone I should already know?

#19 Edited by kilomac29 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the character on the last page a new character or someone I should already know?

Wondering the same thing. RIP Grills (Gil)

#20 Edited by HushoftheWind (798 posts) - - Show Bio

i guess treating a hero like he's in great comedic/action sitcom is the best formula.....no troll, im serious this series has been absolutely amazing. When's the trade?

#21 Posted by skyjumpermike (147 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon said:

Best panel ever.......

LOL, agreed. Just read it. It was perfect

This is absolutely brilliant... and adorable. Love it!

#23 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyjumpermike said:

The killer? He seems to be someone new but he could be hired by the villains who planned to kill Hawkeye in the previous issue. The question is how come the man kills Grills and not Clint? And if Clint had just left the rooftop how could he not have met the killer on the way? Pretty sure, Fraction has an answer to this and we'll see in the next issue.

#24 Posted by skyjumpermike (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyjumpermike said:

The killer? He seems to be someone new but he could be hired by the villains who planned to kill Hawkeye in the previous issue. The question is how come the man kills Grills and not Clint? And if Clint had just left the rooftop how could he not have met the killer on the way? Pretty sure, Fraction has an answer to this and we'll see in the next issue.

Yes and Thanks, Just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something or some obscure character. Maybe he was confused on who he was supposed to kill? Grills looks like an Avenger.... right?

#25 Posted by K3vinkha0S (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Super Hero book on the shelves. It sets it self apart from other hero books in so many ways, in its simplistic but vibrant art style, and its quirky yet grounded humor, it's basically an Indie book.

#26 Edited by longbowhunter (6716 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kinda ridiculous how perfect this comic is. A lighthearted issue tempered by a tragic ending. Who knows what's next?

#27 Edited by WebHead32 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94: Check out welovefine.com. They have a bunch of hawkeye shirts.

#28 Edited by AquaJustice (17 posts) - - Show Bio

This as too be one of the best comic out right. From beginning too end this issue is awesome. Fraction and Aja have done it again with this issue. It just pull's you in and the characters are so well written. I hope they keep the good work.

#29 Posted by skyjumpermike (147 posts) - - Show Bio

The mail section of this issue mentions that we'll see the origin "of this clown guy that just broke everyone's hearts". So I guess he is a new character.

#30 Posted by KZR (487 posts) - - Show Bio

I really love this Hawkeye series. It never fails to impress me.

#31 Edited by Bokkie (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Best series atm for me, love the hawkguy

#32 Edited by Gritterr (489 posts) - - Show Bio

@k3vinkha0s said:

Best Super Hero book on the shelves. It sets it self apart from other hero books in so many ways, in its simplistic but vibrant art style, and its quirky yet grounded humor, it's basically an Indie book.

All of This. Also Kudos to Fraction. I had no Idea how fond I had grown of Grills, that moment really got me

#33 Edited by The Mast (773 posts) - - Show Bio

This is everything everyone says it is. The last panel broke my heart.

However...I do care about continuity. I'd rather them say it's standalone.

#34 Posted by impossibilly (883 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to say this is my favorite Marvel comic. Now it's my favorite comic.

#35 Posted by bladewolf (608 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely a solid issue. Not the best of the series, but up there. I'm really excited for Hawkguy vs. The Clown.

#36 Edited by Crackdown (587 posts) - - Show Bio

I had the cover art for the shirt made for a Hawkeye cosplayer friend, and then made this one into a real shirt... because I love Trickshot as much.

#37 Edited by Owie (3612 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet issue. Solid story, painful ending nicely done. I was a little confused about the timeline of the different "chapters" though (this may be partly because I missed the last issue). Obviously they're out of order, but I wasn't sure where the first two parts went in the chronology.

#38 Posted by derf_jenkins (358 posts) - - Show Bio

I must admit that I was extremely skeptical going into this series. I had very little faith in Fraction and very little in Hawkeye too. I am so glad that I started getting this right away and now this is one of those books I bring right home and read. I am a huge fan of Jeff Lemire and even though he is writing Green Arrow now, I decided I only have room for one archer on my pull list and that archer is Hawkguy.

#39 Posted by Agent_Prince (134 posts) - - Show Bio

Really don't understand the fuss over this book. I try it every month due to the great press, but it's boring. Hawkeye is barely likeable. The only plus point is the art.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.