My Analysis Of The New Hawkeye Series

Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Let me start off by stating I love this series, the art, and humor are fantastic. I wanted to wait until five issues into the series to get a better handle of Fraction's take on the character, but I think I have a pretty good understanding. Now let the analysis begin.

Criticism.

1. The easiest and definitely the biggest issue is Clint's personality. Clint is cocky and confident to a fault, yes he has doubts, but he mask these things with his ego. Where is that? He is awkward, and self conscience. Feeling these things is fine and dandy it adds dimension to the character, but they never defined Clint's character the way his confidence, and "in your face" attitude did. If Fraction boosted up his cockiness just a little it would make a world of difference.

Ummm, why are you so concerned with someone thinking your a goon all a sudden?
There's the cocky bastard I love.

2. With those lovely visual lets move on to issue two. His skills are way off. He is an Avenger after all and was is trained in hand to hand combat by The Captain America; yet here he is being taken down by thugs with a fetish for the word "bro"

which apparently has rubbed off on Clint...

Seriously Bro, your naked and getting beat up by guys in track suits. Cap would be so proud.

Regardless it simply doesn't match up with what people familiar with his character are accustomed too. It just denounces the characters position as an Avenger and hero.

Those are really my only issues, but they are BIG issues. I could attack him being a leader and still having zero control in any given situation, but I forgive it because that is the flow of the book.

The awesome

1. Hawkeye has alot of fun quirky bits to it that I love.

This should be the News headline everyday. I mean it pretty much sums up what we see in the news paper anyway.

It always makes me breeze through a second time to make sure I didn't miss something. Plus in the last issue Fraction actually paid homage to his first minseries with the multiple trick arrows he used

I wonder where the Suction arrow was when he was falling out a building?

2. Kate and Lucky. Katie is absolutely awesome, but I feel that Fraction deliberately takes away from Clint to promote her and sometimes Clint acts really creepy around her "see criticism".Regardless I'm loving her character. Then we have Lucky aka Arrow aka Pizza dog. He is a fun edition, and who doesn't like dogs?

You Miss, are sounding more like Clint than Clint.

Conclusion

Overall this is one of the best Marvel series on shelves right now, and is completely independent from all the AVX nonsense going on in the Marvel Universe, but long time Hawkeye fans are going to notice some issues with Clint's personality and anyone who has picked up an Avengers comic is going to be skeptical of the bro thugs that love to pop him right in the back of the head.

Ps. This my first real attempt at a blog post, so I'd appreciate some feedback.

#1 Posted by lykopis (10752 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the issues, haven't read a single one outside of flipping through the first but I had to read your breakdown. And here is my breakdown of your breakdown:

1) Nice intro. Made me laugh right off the bat and its awesome you started off with the criticism.

2) Again, made me laugh -- bro.

3) Your awesome was awesome, lol. Nice inclusion of the types of arrows from a ways back.

4) Again, made me laugh.

5) How can you go wrong with your conclusion? You threw in an adorable dog for crying out loud. ;p But yes, I do like Katie's sassiness but I much prefer it on Hawkeye. But I guess Fraction feels he needs to establish her character a bit more than Hawkeye's but it shouldn't be at his expense.

6) Again, made me laugh. So now I expect more blogs from you and I shall torment you ceaselessly from now on. You're welcome.

:)

#2 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice...

#3 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: @The_Roman: Thank you I appreciate the feedback.

You two are fellow Hawkeye fans what do you guys think?

#4 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

I have the issues, haven't read a single one outside of flipping through the first but I had to read your breakdown. And here is my breakdown of your breakdown:

1) Nice intro. Made me laugh right off the bat and its awesome you started off with the criticism.

2) Again, made me laugh -- bro.

3) Your awesome was awesome, lol. Nice inclusion of the types of arrows from a ways back.

4) Again, made me laugh.

5) How can you go wrong with your conclusion? You threw in an adorable dog for crying out loud. ;p But yes, I do like Katie's sassiness but I much prefer it on Hawkeye. But I guess Fraction feels he needs to establish her character a bit more than Hawkeye's but it shouldn't be at his expense.

6) Again, made me laugh. So now I expect more blogs from you and I shall torment you ceaselessly from now on. You're welcome.

:)

All this :)

@Blood1991: To be honest with you man I haven't even read the book. I know I know - I'm ashamed, but I've fallen off the Comic bandwagon. Still love them, but haven't got the time or money. However, your breakdown was excellent - splendid description. I should give it a look.

#5 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Nice job. The series definitely doesn't do his character justice IMO.

#6 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446: It is a good series so pick it up if you can, I know Strafe didn't like it, but I enjoy it even if Clint is off lol. Thanks for the feedback.

#7 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

@Blood1991: Nice job. The series definitely doesn't do his character justice IMO.

Yeah, but the art, humor, and fun of the book make up for it. Still I think Fraction needs to revitalize Clint's character and try to get a better grip on him.

#8 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

Good post. I didn't see the problems of the book before, but I see it now. That might have to do with me never really reading anything with Clint. Still love the series.

#9 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

Good post. I didn't see the problems of the book before, but I see it now. That might have to do with me never really reading anything with Clint. Still love the series.

It is a great series, but I have to constantly forgive Fraction. Still, I'm glad you've taken an interest in his series and character even if he isn't all there. Thanks for the feedback.

#10 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: I'm not so keen on the art. Aja is hit or miss with me.

#11 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower: I really like it ^_^, but I've already heard that some people aren't into it. Just a matter of taste I suppose

#12 Posted by tomlikesfries (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice post! This is one of the best series of Marvel that are being published. I am damn glad they are not canceling this for Marvel NOW!.

#13 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomlikesfries: Same, even if I have some issues with it, the series is great, and I wold love to see Clint hold a long term solo series.

#14 Posted by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

Great post! I have many of the same critisisms. Especially all the 'bro's.' Fraction's dialogue can be horrible at times. So far though, I love the first two issues, haven't gotten around to reading the 3rd yet. I love Aja's art. The stories seem very 70's New York, which I find amusing and enjoyable. It's definately one of my favorite titles (probably my favorite Marvel title right now)

#15 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@stumpy49er said:

Great post! I have many of the same critisisms. Especially all the 'bro's.' Fraction's dialogue can be horrible at times. So far though, I love the first two issues, haven't gotten around to reading the 3rd yet. I love Aja's art. The stories seem very 70's New York, which I find amusing and enjoyable. It's definately one of my favorite titles (probably my favorite Marvel title right now)

Thanks! Yeah the Vampire track suit bro thugs are becoming more annoying than funny, so hopefully they leave the picture for at least a little while. It is one of my favorite titles out right now, even if I have my share of criticism.

#16 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Seriously, bro? It was a real good breakdown, bro. You're right about Hawkeye's martial arts prowess, bro. He may not be on Captain America's H2H level, but he is far from incompetent, bro. And his confidence, borderline arrogance is one of the things I like about him, bro. Overall your critique was well thought out, and insightfull, bro. I like it alot, good job, bro. :-)

...Bro.

#17 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, after reading my own post even I'M annoyed by it. To many bros... ugh. :-(

#18 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@Blood1991: Seriously, bro? It was a real good breakdown, bro. You're right about Hawkeye's martial arts prowess, bro. He may not be on Captain America's H2H level, but he is far from incompetent, bro. And his confidence, borderline arrogance is one of the things I like about him, bro. Overall your critique was well thought out, and insightfull, bro. I like it alot, good job, bro. :-)

...Bro.

Thanks Bro! His cockiness is the thing I miss most that isn't in this series. It feels like Fraction just kinda sucked the core out of his character. The book itself is fantastic, but Clint just isn't all there.

#19 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: You think I should put it on my pull list? I do like him in SA.

#20 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

@Blood1991: You think I should put it on my pull list? I do like him in SA.

Oh yeah I like him there too "sad it is ending" he also had some great moments in Avenging Spiderman. Go ahead ^_^

#21 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Cool. Next time I go to my LCS I will. Thanks.

#22 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

In your opinion, is this series a good jumping on point for getting into Hawkeye?

#23 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@JSH92 said:

In your opinion, is this series a good jumping on point for getting into Hawkeye?

The book is really good, but if you are experienced with the character you will realize he isn't himself. Secret Avengers, and Avenging Spider-man issue 4 have been the best Hawkeye characterization in a good while in my opinion. If you want to get a good idea about is character I suggest these two mini series below, however I do suggest his current series to anyone who is willing to try it. Despite my personal issues with characterization, and his abilities the series is still superb thus far.

Hawkeye Blind spot. Does some back story editing, and gives Clint some really bad ass moments.
#24 Posted by JSH92 (414 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@JSH92 said:

The book is really good, but if you are experienced with the character you will realize he isn't himself. Secret Avengers, and Avenging Spider-man issue 4 have been the best Hawkeye characterization in a good while in my opinion. If you want to get a good idea about is character I suggest these two mini series below, however I do suggest his current series to anyone who is willing to try it. Despite my personal issues with characterization, and his abilities the series is still superb thus far.

Hawkeye Blind spot. Does some back story editing, and gives Clint some really bad ass moments.

OK, thanks. I'll definitely check those out.

#25 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@JSH92: No problem man, happy to help.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.