Follow

Hawkeye

Character » Hawkeye appears in 4822 issues.

Trained by criminals and inspired by heroes, Clint Barton has grown from a troubled youth into one of the greatest heroes on Earth. The world knows him best as Hawkeye: Earth's Mightiest Marksman. A member of the Avengers for many years, he has left the team on occasion because of team friction. But he always returns, ready to face any threat.

Jeremy Renner Talks Hawkeye Movie and More

• 54 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Earlier this year we got a great look at Hawkeye in The Avengers -- and it's safe to say that the character's appearance in one of the highest grossing movies of all time definitely garnered him some new fans. If you were one of the many that got to check out actor Jeremy Renner in The Avengers and enjoyed it, you're not alone. With the blu-ray set to hit stores this fall, it's safe to say that the thought on the minds of many fans is whether or not Jeremy Renner's character, Hawkeye, will be getting his own Marvel movie. This isn't the first time we've begged this question, either. Back in May we mentioned that giving him and Black Widow their own feature film might not be a bad idea.

No Caption Provided

In a recent interview with Renner the question was asked whether or not he would be appearing in a Hawkeye movie any time soon. The actor responded to the question rather inconspicuously, citing that he wasn't even sure there was a demand for a Hawkeye movie.

I don’t know. I think there’s always possibilities of anything in the Marvel universe. There’s gotta be a want from people to see something like that. I don’t know if there is. Maybe there is maybe there isn’t. But who knows? We’ll see.

If Renner only knew the number of tumblr accounts dedicated to his onscreen appearance as "Earth's Mightiest Marksman," he might not doubt that there is some demand for a film revolving around his character. In the interview with Hero Complex he admits that there are certainly still some stories to tell, even though not a whole lot about the character was revealed.

At the end of the day, 90% of the movie, I’m not the character I signed on to play. I’m literally in there for two minutes, and then all of a sudden… All I could really work on was the physical part of it all, because that didn’t change. That was just the biggest challenge to overcome in playing the guy. Also, we’re pretty much introducing a new superhero character to everyone in a movie where there’s a thousand superheroes. So there’s not a lot of back story or understanding we can really tell about who Clint Barton is, or Hawkeye, and is he working for SHIELD or not. There’s a lot of unanswered questions, even for me. And I was OK with that. At least I was still in the movie. And I was glad for that. The closest thing I could really link to was Scarlett [Johansson's] character, Black Widow, because they have a history. And that definitely plays in the movie, I think. And obviously, you can’t go into too much just because there’s so much story to tell, but you definitely get a sense that they’re connected, and that there’s something really, really important that ties them together. And I could try to summarize it, but it can go a lot of places. That excites me, though, that there’s room for other things.

Whether we'll eventually get to see a Hawkeye movie remains to be seen, but I would like to think that there is some demand for that film from fans of The Avengers movie. What do you think? Do you want to see a Hawkeye film? If so, what possible story lines featuring Clint Barton would you like to see make their way to the big screen?

Source LA Times

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

I think it would be better to do a prequel movie staring both Hawkeye and Black Widow

warmonger163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By warmonger163

Hm... If they do a movie on him, I wonder if they'll do a flashback or some kind of homage to the purple and blue suit. Agent Coulson had part of Captain America's suit in The Avengers so maybe something along the lines where Coulson was head of the wardrobe division for S.H.I.E.L.D.

DDangelico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DDangelico

I would LOVE to see a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie. I think a prequel would be the best way to do it, flesh out some of the relationship that was hinted at in The Avengers...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree that a Hawkeye and Black Widow movie would be cool, disagree that it should be a prequel to everything we've already seen. Hate prequels. Just don't see the point of them as a pure film when the same ideas and information can be done in flashbacks or clever dialog.

They should have a movie simply entitled S.H.I.E.L.D and focus it on these two and throw in Mariah Hill as well just to bring the organization and what it does outside of the Avengers and superheroics into perspective.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By agent9149

They should just make shield movie: starring Nick Fury, Black Widow, Hawkeye,

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dedpool

A prequel to this would work, elaborating on the story that Widow told about how he brought her into S.H.I.E.L.D. or maybe a flashback to it in a S.H.I.E.L.D. film with them as the field agents, Fury as the field commander, and Maria Hill on the hellacarrier as communications, ops and tactical.

Avatar image for crackedversion00
    CrackedVersion00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By CrackedVersion00

"Yeah, Well Fall in line"

LadyAmerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LadyAmerica

I think a combination movie with Hawkeye and Black Widow would be better than individual movies for them both.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Overlander

@LadyAmerica said:

I think a combination movie with Hawkeye and Black Widow would be better than individual movies for them both.

Agreed. I'd love to see a buddy movie with the two of them...though they are more like frienemies.

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#10  Edited By thatlad

I think it would be possibly overkill as most of the avengers cover it but an "Agents of SHIELD" franchise of movies would be a good concept, it would allow Hawkeye, Black Widow, Fury, Maria Hill and any future characters introduced to be featured as an ensemble. Each film could rotate the cast.

Like I say though, The Avengers pretty much had this concept for a large portion of the movie. Also I don't think Hawkeye is as popular or fully developed enouigh character in the movie/comic universes to lead a movie. That being said if Renner's Bourne movie takes off I could see that change.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By DATNIGGA

they could have picked a better guy for the part tho

Senor Salsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Senor Salsa

It would have to be a team movie, there's no way that watching a marksman for 2 hours would stay interesting.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@danhimself said:

I think it would be better to do a prequel movie staring both Hawkeye and Black Widow

I agree that way we can see why they were so close in Avengers

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Suprman

I would love to see a Hawkeye movie.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JonSmith

Someone say Earth's Mightiest Marksman?

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By kennybaese

I'd definitely be down for a SHIELD prequel movie starring Hawkeye, Widow, and Coulson.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#17  Edited By The Lobster

I still don't think he could handle his own movie, same with Black Widow and Nick Fury. 

So combine them into a SHIELD movie. Do it in the style of Mission Impossible but with super-humans.  The story practically writes itself.....

A group of super assassins (Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Coulson if they want to bring him back or do a prequel), fighting a global threat (HYDRA, AIM, personally I'd like to see Taskmaster put in there as an assassin the enemy hires to protect them), with a bunch of insanely awesome weapons and advanced technology, and saving the world one step at a time.

Savage_Hawkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Savage_Hawkman

I like Hawkeye but Renner doesn't fit the part. Contrary to popular opinion I don't think Renner is a good actor.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KnightRise

@The Lobster said:

So combine them into a SHIELD movie. Do it in the style of Mission Impossible but with super-humans. The story practically writes itself.....

Yes

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By sethysquare

Maybe he should've tried harder practicing his archery first.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Mucklefluga

@warmonger163 said:

Hm... If they do a movie on him, I wonder if they'll do a flashback or some kind of homage to the purple and blue suit. Agent Coulson had part of Captain America's suit in The Avengers so maybe something along the lines where Coulson was head of the wardrobe division for S.H.I.E.L.D.

This. This Would be Awesome. Get this man to write the script.

Avatar image for blueninjapanther
    blueninjapanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By blueninjapanther

It be cool to see a Hawkeye movie and I want to see if they can make him be Ronin. That will be cool.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Tyrannotaur

@The Lobster said:

I still don't think he could handle his own movie, same with Black Widow and Nick Fury.

So combine them into a SHIELD movie. Do it in the style of Mission Impossible but with super-humans. The story practically writes itself.....

A group of super assassins (Hawkeye, Black Widow, Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Coulson if they want to bring him back or do a prequel), fighting a global threat (HYDRA, AIM, personally I'd like to see Taskmaster put in there as an assassin the enemy hires to protect them), with a bunch of insanely awesome weapons and advanced technology, and saving the world one step at a time.

Yes this is what I'd want to see. Call it Agents of SHIELD or something like that.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Blood1991

I'd watch a Hawkeye movie in a heart beat, but I think the film would do better if he and Widow co-starred in a prequel or sequel. It isn't like they don't have options.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blood1991

@Senor Salsa said:

It would have to be a team movie, there's no way that watching a marksman for 2 hours would stay interesting.

Robin Hood....

Watcherg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Watcherg6

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah WHAT ABOUT GIANT MAN!!!! Wasp!

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blood1991

@Watcherg6 said:

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah WHAT ABOUT GIANT MAN!!!! Wasp!

Antman is getting a movie and if it is done right Janet should be in it as well.

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Red Rum

Since movie Hawkeye and Black Widow are both with SHIELD (currently) how about a solo SHIELD movie separate from the events of the Avengers or leading to the Sequel? I hear AIM is going to be introduced in Iron Man 3, so how about them as the main villains? Or ZODIAC?

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I think there is a demand for a Black Widow/hawkeye movie. Make it this big SHIELD spy epic, a little Patriot Games and a little James Bond, and a little Avengers action. It could be a movie that features them on a mission and could span the globe, Russia, America, Europe, Mexico, Canada, etc. With a cameo from Nick Fury too.

And I also, by the way, want a Young Nick Fury movie. With a younger Nick Fury cast, before he was Director of SHIELD. Show how he gets signed up for SHIELD, a new recruit and how he becomes the best agent they have. Show him have hair and maybe how he lost his eye. And maybe how SHIELD was corrupted by Hydra back then. Have the movie also star, as his partner/mentor, Dum Dum Dugan, and also Contessa Valentina Allegro de la Fontaine as his partner and love interest.

It would be a period movie, in the 70s, and take place between Captain America 1 and Iron Man 1. And would fill in the gaps. So the young new recruit, Nick Fury, joins the SHIELD and is trained and mentored by the grizzled veteran Dum Dum Dugan. He also meets Contessa Valentina Allegro de la Fontaine. During his time at SHIELD he becomes their most valuable agent, during a mission he looses his eye. During the movie is comes to light that SHIELD (possibly the present day version of the group started by Captain America and his team in Avengers 1) has been infiltrated by Hydra. The current boss is exposed as a Hydra agent perhaps. By the end of this film Fury isn't the director of SHIELD, not yet. He is still an agent, their best agent.

odysseyuwrf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30  Edited By odysseyuwrf

@Agent9149 said:

They should just make shield movie: starring Nick Fury, Black Widow, Hawkeye,

I agree with this. Let's see how they all got where they are, or dealing with a threat that does not require The Avenger's complete line-up. Black-Ops maybe?

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheHeat

A SHIELD movie with Hawkeye, Black Widow, Agent Coulson, Nick Fury, and Maria Hill would definitely work.

wdchefdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wdchefdave

Back in the day, Hawkeye and Black Widow were the golden couple.

"Good Guys Bad Guys Whatever"

Then there was this Daredevil and Black Widow comic that came out in the 70s'!

And, she had already been married to the Red Guardian.

What a ho! (And, a widow.)

This actor has shown no respect to the Hawkeye character.

Let him go sniff Matt Damon's underwear for a while.

Hawkeye cannot carry his own comic book, much less a MOVIE!

Get REEL!

(Pun intended.)

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#33  Edited By BatWatch

I see that many others have already said it, but Hawkeye and Black Widow did have some chemistry. Why not a team-up movie? It always works well in comics, and Marvel has done a great job at transferring things that work in comics onto the big screen.

On the other hand, a lot of people keep saying, "Make it a shield movie!" and I am not down with that. I've had enough of Samuel L. Mother****** Jackson. He does a good job, but a little of that over the top attitude goes a long way. I don't want to see him try to carry a movie.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#34  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @danhimself said:

This. I could see them doing a movie, maybe a "Black Widow" movie where Hawkeye for the first half of the movie is working for S.H.I.E.L.D. trying to hunt Natasha down (like she mentioned in the Avengers) but in the end he realizes she's not the badguy and team's up with her to take down the person's she's really after. I could see where it's focuses on Black Widow, showing her past as a brainwashed Russian super-spy, showing her break free from her brainwashing and follow her through the film as she hunts down the man/men responsible. In the process, she would attract the attention of S.H.I.E.L.D. who would send Agent Barton, their best agent at the time, to hunt her down. It would allow us to see both Widow and Hawkeye's back stories before the Avengers.

Though whether it would be called "Black Widow" or "Black Widow and Hawkeye" I'm really not sure what title they would use for the movie.
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NXH

I would much prefer to see a Hawkeye and Black Widow movie. Probably have it set the stage for Avengers 2?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cameron83

why do actors always wanna play in superhero movies,it's annoying,than the people calling you comic nerds go to see the crap...emphasis on crap,i don't see how a marksman can hold his own movie,trick arrows won't do you good,guess that's why arrow is a tv show

timelord786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By timelord786

I think the best way to go for this is a SHIELD movie. I mean if done right a spy movie can be super successful and can build could may be build up to Avenger 2.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#38  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I would love to have a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie, that would be pure awesomeness.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Miss_Garrick

It's been a couple of months since I've seen the movie, and I still can't get over how I thought Haweye was super-cool! I still can't stand the comic version, so there's that.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Miss_Garrick

@KnightRise said:

@The Lobster said:

Yes

OH MY GOSH YES!!!!! SOMEBODY TELL WHEDON RIGHT NOW!!!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By csl316

Maybe this could be Whedon's TV show? To take down Arrow?

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JamDamage

@Agent9149: I'd be sooooo down for this. Great way to bring Coulson back in too. Make it a prequel with all four. This could work, and I think people would would love to see it. I think the closest we'll get to a Hawkeye movie right now is Bourne Legacy, and I'm going to see that for sure. If that movies does well. I don't have a doubt Mavel will see that Renner can carry an action movie himself and go for it.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FearTheLiving

I'd love to see Hawkeye get his own movie, perhaps it'll depend on how good the new Bourne movie is I'm sure if it does well they'll defiantly consider a Hawkeye movie.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By moywar700

hawk-eye doesn't need his own film,nor black widow, or nick fury. I think they should be supporting cast in captain america. If not,perhaps an agent of shield movie can work out.

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RScottH08

@FearTheLiving: I think your right. I mean Renner has the accolades and performances of a lot indy films and supporting roles in bigger films to back up his acting ability, but it'll be that Bourne movie that really tests his drawing ability. I've also got some friends who say it may not matter about Renner, and that the Bourne name itself already draws enough. IMO, I think he'll do great in it and really give Marvel a reason for serious thought on a Hawkeye film.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offense to any Clint Barton fans but I just don't think Hawkeye is enough of a top tier character to really warrant having his own superhero flick. He's just better off being a supportive character in a larger story like he was in The Avengers. If they did make a Hawkeye movie though I'd definitely be glad to see it!

lantern8685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By lantern8685

A movie all about Hawkeye would probably be more spy action with archery instead of guns, could use his brother Barney as one of the antagonists and use that to cover some of his backstory.

Avatar image for underdogs_overboard
    UnderDogs_OverBoard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should be a Nick Fury-Maria Hill-Black-Widow-Hawkeye-Phil Coulson Movie!

then it'd be Epic!

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Iron Fist Angel

Marvel/Disney would be risking serious overkill and superhero movie burnout if they did a Hawkeye flick or even a Hawkeye/Black Widow one. Some characters are just better in a supporting role. Not everybody needs their own showcase.

magnuskhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By magnuskhan

i thought he looked a little to old for the art, no offense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.