Hawkeye and Mockingbird are Getting an Ongoing Series!

Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye & Mockingbird #1

Jim McCann is writing his first ongoing series this is what he has to say:

I honestly can't express it in words, but I hope it'll come across in the pages.

McCann along with David Lopez on art, originally wrote the miniseries New Avengers: The Reunion which reunited the couple of Hawkeye and Mockingbird once more in a Mr. and Mrs. Smith type of tale, a story which I personally loved.

McCann and Lopez are reuniting once more on a spin off of their first mini.

Hawkeye is back and with his bow and arrows, in the costume and identity he was created for. Mockingbird is back on Earth and struggling to find her place in a world that thought she was dead and moved on without her. Together, they are at a place they've never been, emotionally and in their "work" lives. They're together, but not married. They're trying to see if they can work as a couple. Then there's the fact that technically Hawkeye is working for Mockingbird now in the WCA (World Counterterrorism Agency) in addition to his life with the Avengers, which Mockingbird is no longer a member of (thanks to events in "Siege"). 

What will this be about?

Without giving too much away, and the themes are those of responsibility, trust, and overcoming devastating blows. That's what the entire run of the book will be about as we take these two, their allies and their villains, on a ride around the world at break-neck speed. These two won't get a chance to catch their breath, and I hope the readers won't either.

This tells us a few things we didn't know before. In the Avenger promos we see Hawkeye, but we did not know if it was Clint behind the mask.
Personally I was wondering what was up with Bobbi since she was in no Avengers promos.

Also:

I don't really see this as a series of arcs, but one long journey. There are things seeded in the first 3 issues that will be picked up on and revealed over the course of the next 1-2 years. And then there are surprises. This book will be filled with reunions (I know a little about those.) and losses, deaths and rebirths, arrows and battlestaves. And maybe an evil robot or two if you're lucky (or in Hawkeye & Mockingbird's case, unlucky!) 

Read the full Interview
here. (Just be sure to come back to CV after this!) 

UPDATE:
McCann says if there will be guest stars in another interview (and concept art):   

Mockingbird made her first appearance in that guise by teaming up with Spidey.  They go way back.  But he’s not swinging by just yet. Others WILL be. Steve Rogers and Clint have a very important scene that explains why Hawkeye’s on double-duty between the Avengers & the W.C.A., as well as why Bobbi is no longer an active member.  (Can I geek out for a second at writing Steve & Clint together?!  ...!!! Ok, thanks)  There are a number of other characters with whom Hawkeye and Mockingbird share a past that will be showing up in this first arc, and even more in the next, and the next...and the next.  You’re going to see old friends, new enemies, and maybe an evil robot or two! 

This is definitely a series I will be adding to my Pull List!

Hawkeye and Mockingbird #1 will be out this June
#1 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been big on the Avengers, but this looks pretty cool.  I like old skool characters :)
#2 Posted by Watch Dog (834 posts) - - Show Bio

I will be getting this.  I'm so glad that Clint is Hawkeye again Ronin was lame

#3 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio

Neat!  A premiere archer and a blonde martial-artist who are married are now in an ongoing series?  No one has ever thought of that before!

#4 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMiracle77 said:
"Neat!  A premiere archer and a blonde martial-artist who are married are now in an ongoing series?  No one has ever thought of that before! "

As I was writing this I said to myself... this sounds familiar... 
When I figured it out I realized I still perfer this series over the other... 

I like Hawkeye better than Green Arrow 
and Mockingbird better than Black Canary (Their names are even birds... ha!)
#5 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

^UPDATED^
#6 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

I dislike Hawkeye's design...why do they go with those loinflaps?

I liked his House of M design much better.

Are those wrist-mounted bows...?

#7 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@iLLituracy said:
"I dislike Hawkeye's design...why do they go with those loinflaps?  I liked his House of M design much better.  Are those wrist-mounted bows...? "
Yes those are wrist-mounted bows, which are cool! Also, Bendis did say that Hakweye's uniform will be getting an update in his new Avengers series, so maybe will see it in this series as well? 
#8 Posted by Benzo (621 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks good! I can't wait to get this!! :D and  I'm so glad that Clint is back as Hawkeye!!!

#9 Posted by moxie-lane (37 posts) - - Show Bio

i know ifor one am happy that there doing a coupling like this. Bobbi is a great leader and has the drive to be the leader of the new WCA (World counter-terrorism Agency. This is going to be different then Green Arrow and Black Canary because unlike Oliver Queen, Clint Barton is a different type of character, one thath as more feelings a mind for just helping people without thinking about himself. Bobbi is a strong character who doesnt let clint push her around or try to change her mind. She only does if she knows she can work with it to the way she was thinking. I'm really hoping this series kicks off and gives bobbi her own place that she needs.

#10 Posted by War Killer (19992 posts) - - Show Bio
@moxie-lane said:
"i know ifor one am happy that there doing a coupling like this. Bobbi is a great leader and has the drive to be the leader of the new WCA (World counter-terrorism Agency. This is going to be different then Green Arrow and Black Canary because unlike Oliver Queen, Clint Barton is a different type of character, one thath as more feelings a mind for just helping people without thinking about himself. Bobbi is a strong character who doesnt let clint push her around or try to change her mind. She only does if she knows she can work with it to the way she was thinking. I'm really hoping this series kicks off and gives bobbi her own place that she needs. "
Have you read New Avengers: The Reunion? I mean I have the whole series and that pretty much kicked this series off before we even knew about it, plus with Clint as Hawkeye again, this is going to be one great book. Plus having him and Bobbi arguing over every last thing, this is going to be great xD
#11 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer:
After reading that, THAT became my favorite mini-series ever!
#12 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully Scorpion's mom will be one of their recurring villains, and give them a reason to team up with Scorpion. I felt like there was a good set up in reunion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.