Green Arrow rip-off

• 113 results
#51 Posted by Chaos Burn (1756 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator said:

@Lion_Heart22 said:

Please, GA was a Batman ripoff with absolute ZERO personality, only his gimmick was arrows, not bats. He had the sidekick (Speedy), was a millionaire in his secret identity and even had an Arrowmobile or something like that. Then they killed him off because he was so uninteresting.

Then came Hawkeye, a former villain who always challenged Cap and was a jerk with a heart of Gold. Cocky, opinionated, headstrong, liked to mess with people, to challenge them, and most importantly, didn't have a boxing glove arrow. And whaddayaknow? Not long after that, Green Arrow resurfaces, sporting a new attitude, challenging the status quo, getting on everyone's face, etc.

So um, yeah, Green Arrow might have come first, but everything that makes him popular now was added to his character AFTER Hawkeye was created, with some similarities in their personalities, nothing suspicious about that! And yet people think Hawkeye ripped him off because they both use a bow and arrow. Meh.

Someone gets it.

enlightened, thanks!

#52 Edited by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@sethysquare said:

not in comics. If ollie is a ripboff then hawkeye is a ripoff of a ripoff. besides hawkeye dont even have his own defining stories and cant support a monthly. so yeah hawkeye kinda sucks

@Vance Astro said:

@sethysquare said:
ollie appeared first so hawkeye is the ripoff. Green arrow is getting hisbown tv show that'll last for years and hawkeye can kiss his own ass.
Robin Hood appeared first so Green Arrow is a rip-off.
It doesn't matter.Green Arrow is still a stolen concept.So there's no need to point out one character being a rip-off if Ollie wouldn't exist without Robin Hood.It's like calling Sentry or Gladiator, Superman rip-offs when Superman isn't an original creation.I don't even get the point of this thread.It's obvious that Hawkeye has similarities to Green Arrow. And?
#53 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

I don't see the problem.

And...

Ultimate Hawkeye > Green Arrow > Hawkeye

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII *catches breath* IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSS

#54 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon said:

Robin Hood > Green Arrow Hawkeye> Green Arrow Speedy> Green Arrow

Tell us how you really feel :P

Somebody dislikes Green Arrow

#55 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@Vance Astro: As with all Heroes Hercules did it before all of them

The traits of many greek gods and goddesses can be found in comic book heroes.
#56 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah and Green Arrow just HAPPENS to look like Robin Hood. Total coincidence...

#57 Posted by higher_evolutionary (2015 posts) - - Show Bio

is rip off is a strong word, they have nothing in common aside from the fact that they both shoot arrows

#58 Posted by cattlebattle (12303 posts) - - Show Bio
@higher_evolutionary said:
is rip off is a strong word, they have nothing in common aside from the fact that they both shoot arrows
and their costumes, although there has been changes to both characters throughout time, but the depiction of Robin Hood with the hat and tights is the basis for Green Arrows outfit

Green Arrow has much more depth than Hawkeye for the most part, his "longbow Hunters" arc was one of the greatest stories I have read.
#59 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

ollie appeared first so hawkeye is the ripoff. Green arrow is getting hisbown tv show that'll last for years and hawkeye can kiss his own ass.

Green Arrow is getting his own TV show that'll be lucky to get a full season and Hawkeye appeared in a record-shattering movie and is set to appear more. Buh-bye fanboy.

#60 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (4676 posts) - - Show Bio
@primepower53

@WaveMotionCannon said:

Robin Hood > Green Arrow Hawkeye> Green Arrow Speedy> Green Arrow

Tell us how you really feel :P

Somebody dislikes Green Arrow

The goatee and the boxing glove arrows irked me.
Seriously Clint, and Connor are far cooler and overall better than Ollie. Connor is a better fighter and with the Ronin thing I can safely say Clint is too.
#61 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Green arrow will be airing for several seasons. ratings are poor at cw and this is the only breakout show of 2012. While Green arrow appears on tv for years hawkeye gets 5 minutes on avengers. bye bye fanboy.

@TheAnnihilator said:

@sethysquare said:

Green Arrow is getting his own TV show that'll be lucky to get a full season and Hawkeye appeared in a record-shattering movie and is set to appear more. Buh-bye fanboy.

#62 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Green arrow will be airing for several seasons. ratings are poor at cw and this is the only breakout show of 2012. While Green arrow appears on tv for years hawkeye gets 5 minutes on avengers. bye bye fanboy.

@TheAnnihilator said:

@sethysquare said:

Seriously? Don't fool yourself. Today I saw three kids next door arguing over who got to play as Hawkeye in their Avengers game with the bow they spent an hour making while I was outside with my friends. When has Green arrow ever been that influential? Oh right, never.

#63 Posted by The Stegman (20853 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle:  

@higher_evolutionary  said: 

and their costumes, although there has been changes to both characters throughout time, but the depiction of Robin Hood with the hat and tights is the basis for Green Arrows outfit
And they both have blonde hair... 

And they both have "on again/off again" relationships with blonde martial artists that have bird names. 

And are both on the premiere hero team of their respective universe
#64 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

Cyborg is the only original character in the current JLA.

There have been cyborgs in other media before, even in LOSH years

#65 Posted by cattlebattle (12303 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator said:

Seriously? Don't fool yourself. Today I saw three kids next door arguing over who got to play as Hawkeye in their Avengers game with the bow they spent an hour making while I was outside with my friends. When has Green arrow ever been that influential? Oh right, never.

Green Arrow was one of the best and most used characters on the JLU serieswhich was quite popular, Hawkeye was in the Avengers movie for a total of twenty mins......

I disagree in other words
#66 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

Green Arrow was one of the best and most used characters on the JLU serieswhich was quite popular, Hawkeye was in the Avengers movie for a total of twenty mins...... I disagree in other words

I watched JLU and I was a kid when it was on. No one of that age was THAT interested. Not that he was disliked, but he won't be nearly as popular as Hawkeye will be. Who I like better. I've never been a big Green Arrow fan.

#67 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rumble Man said:

@Vance Astro said:

Cyborg is the only original character in the current JLA.

There have been cyborgs in other media before, even in LOSH years

What does LOSH stand for?
#68 Posted by cattlebattle (12303 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator said:

I watched JLU and I was a kid when it was on. No one of that age was THAT interested. Not that he was disliked, but he won't be nearly as popular as Hawkeye will be. Who I like better. I've never been a big Green Arrow fan.

Maybe at your age, but to everyone that was more knowledgable of the comics, he was a breakout character, well written and was one of the more centric characters of the last three seasons

I recommend you pick up some Green Arrow books, he is a great character that, when written well, has some amazing stories, I would highly recommend the "Longbow Hunters" arc.......Also his animated "short" on the DC dtvs is probably the best, his character is always popular and well accepted on Smallville and whatever else he appears in.....

Hawkeye is really only popular for his spot on the Avengers
#69 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

Maybe at your age, but to everyone that was more knowledgable of the comics, he was a breakout character, well written and was one of the more centric characters of the last three seasons I recommend you pick up some Green Arrow books, he is a great character that, when written well, has some amazing stories, I would highly recommend the "Longbow Hunters" arc.......Also his animated "short" on the DC dtvs is probably the best, his character is always popular and well accepted on Smallville and whatever else he appears in..... Hawkeye is really only popular for his spot on the Avengers

The discussion I was in was more about popularity than who is better. I liked him from what I saw in Smallville and I've read comics with him, I just have always found Hawkeye more interesting.

#70 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

Legolas > all of them

#71 Posted by cattlebattle (12303 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator said:

@cattlebattle said:

The discussion I was in was more about popularity than who is better. I liked him from what I saw in Smallville and I've read comics with him, I just have always found Hawkeye more interesting.

I am aware...I am just supporting the theory that he is more popular...just not right now of course due to the Avengers film, all the kids watching that movie are likely watching, the Batman (The Batman and Brave and the Bold) shows that have all featured GA and Young Justice etc...I am sure they recognize him

You said in your initial post that Green Arrow has never done anything influential...which is wrong, he obviously influenced the creation of Hawkeye for one thing
#72 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Legion of Super Heroes

#73 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

@cattlebattle said:

I am aware...I am just supporting the theory that he is more popular...just not right now of course due to the Avengers film, all the kids watching that movie are likely watching, the Batman (The Batman and Brave and the Bold) shows that have all featured GA and Young Justice etc...I am sure they recognize him You said in your initial post that Green Arrow has never done anything influential...which is wrong, he obviously influenced the creation of Hawkeye for one thing

No, I said he's never been as influential as Hawkeye is right now. Green Arrow is obviously influential in his universe, he's major player in the JL. And kids aren't that dumb to think Green Arrow is Hawkeye, not sure if you meant that though. Is Brave and the Bold even aired anymore? I know it ended. Green Arrow isn't on Young Justice enough for kids to love him or anything. They recognize him, but they aren't spending time making their own costumes of him.

This discussion is a little silly. I just was annoyed at the dumb post implying that Green Arrow's TV show will be huge and that Hawkeye hasn't been in anything and no one knows about him.

#74 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rumble Man said:

@Vance Astro: Legion of Super Heroes

Who on the team is a Cyborg?
#75 Posted by cattlebattle (12303 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheAnnihilator said:

@cattlebattle said:

No, I said he's never been as influential as Hawkeye is right now. Green Arrow is obviously influential in his universe, he's major player in the JL. And kids aren't that dumb to think Green Arrow is Hawkeye, not sure if you meant that though. Is Brave and the Bold even aired anymore? I know it ended. Green Arrow isn't on Young Justice enough for kids to love him or anything. They recognize him, but they aren't spending time making their own costumes of him.

This discussion is a little silly. I just was annoyed at the dumb post implying that Green Arrow's TV show will be huge and that Hawkeye hasn't been in anything and no one knows about him.

alright, I was just making a case for GA being you didn't specify that he was influential today, you just remarked he wasn't influential
#76 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: Not as cool as cyborg though

but brainiac 5 as in coluans (aren't they a race of techno organic or cyborg beings?)

#77 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@TheAnnihilator said:

@cattlebattle said:

alright, I was just making a case for GA being you didn't specify that he was influential today, you just remarked he wasn't influential

"Green Arrow has never been that influential." was regarding the influence of Hawkeye in my previous statement, but I see the confusion.

#78 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
batb is a syndicated show on several other cable network. DC's animated stuff always get replayed over and over again. Thanks to the big umbrella of Time Warner who holds the largest share of tv channels and programmes. GA was also mentioned several times on bbt and tons of of other shows. After GA stops airing on CW after several seasons, it will also go on replays on cable channels like TBS or TNT or any other channels in time warner broadcasting. FYI even teen titans is still being aired now. not to mention, red arrow and artemis are big players on young justice and featured green arrow in many episodes. YJ's ratings are also much higher than both emh and usm. Have I mentioned boomerang is also part of timewarner?

@TheAnnihilator:

#79 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rumble Man said:

@Vance Astro: Not as cool as cyborg though

but brainiac 5 as in coluans (aren't they a race of techno organic or cyborg beings?)

I don't know what Coluans are supposed to be.
#80 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely agree!

#81 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

batb is a syndicated show on several other cable network. DC's animated stuff always get replayed over and over again. Thanks to the big umbrella of Time Warner who holds the largest share of tv channels and programmes. GA was also mentioned several times on bbt and tons of of other shows. After GA stops airing on CW after several seasons, it will also go on replays on cable channels like TBS or TNT or any other channels in time warner broadcasting. FYI even teen titans is still being aired now. not to mention, red arrow and artemis are big players on young justice and featured green arrow in many episodes. YJ's ratings are also much higher than both emh and usm. Have I mentioned boomerang is also part of timewarner?

@TheAnnihilator:

I had to spend quite a while formulating what you said. I was just asking about Batman: Brave and the Bold. The only network that would play on in the U.S. besides CN would be Boomerang, which I think I might have seen while flipping channels. IF Green Arrow gets several seasons, it MAY air on TBS or TNT. Where is Teen Titans still being aired. I've already discussed Young Justice and Justice League Unlimited and The Brave and the Bold. Argue all you want, but Green Arrow isn't as popular among children and maybe even non-comic readers as Hawkeye is now because of The Avengers. Plus his presence in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (which does have lower ratings but that's because of the type of channel). Ultimate Spider-Man is irrelevant in this discussion.

#82 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

Go read the Hero with a Thousand faces, it basically proves that all heroic stories are pretty much a rip off of one all encompassing mono-myth about the heroic life journey

#83 Posted by Lion_Heart22 (446 posts) - - Show Bio

This reminds me of JLA/Avengers: 'Twas so funny Hawkeye was and still is the only hero to be a member of both the Avengers and the Justice League, that he beat Ollie for Black Canary's affections and that Ollie admitted Hawkeye was a better archer than him when he thought Hawkeye had been killed.

For the record, GA has had many oportunities over the years to become immensely popular, with his JLA membership, spot on the various TV shows, his live action appearance on Smallville, his own animated short and his upcoming tv series, and he's yet to be as big as Hawkster got to be just with the Avengers movie.

Also, Batman is a ripoff of Zorro, Hercules and Thor existed thousands of years ago, etc. This thread's argument is invalid.

#84 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Gilgamesh is THE hero (well the oldest one anyway)

#85 Edited by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@RainEffect said:

Legolas > all of them

Arjuna, Karna, Ekalaiva, Cupid, Minamoto no Tametomo, Huang Zong and Hou-Yi would like to have a word with him

#86 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
you can argue all u want. its not going to matter what u think. A 30 minutes appearance on Avengers does not make him instantly popular. If so then why dont he have his own comic? Face it, Hawkeye will always be in the minor leagues while GA had so many more mainstrean appearances and have been having his solo book for years since the 80s. Smallville is being aired all over the world, so is batb and jlu. But if u wanna deny the fact then no one is stopping you. p.s. green arrow has been pretty consistent in all his mainstream appearance. Hawkeye look way too different in emh and avengers.

@TheAnnihilator:

#87 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man: You have a point but both he and Hercules predate the written word

#88 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

GA did appear some 20 odd years before Hawkeye and in my opinion he is better but everything is a re-hash of something else. If Marvel didn't take the p*** out of Deathstroke we would never have had Deadpool, without Justice League there wouldn't have been a counter Fantastic Four, so thank God for pinching ideas, otherwise everything would have started and ended with Superman and that would suck.

#89 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: They are older than dirt and gil predates herc

#90 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

it is true that the superheroes are in one way or the other inspired by other characters from different mediums and times, but it is one thing to be inspired by some character from a story written 100 years ago AND ANOTHER ONE to be "inspired" (steal) a character from your direct competitor. That being said, I see a lot of Marvel characters as ripoffs from DC (that is one of the reasons i like DC better). Hawkeye is indeed a ripoff of GA, in my book anyway.

other honorable mentions are:

Wolverine and Timber Wolf

Thanos and Darkseid

Ant Man and The Atom

Nova Corps/ Quasar and Green Lantern Corps

Deadpool and Deathstroke

Some of those characters evolved pass their initial creation and became more then their predecessors and brought us some great stories but that can't change the fact that they were not original.

IMO Green Arrow is way more popular then Hawkeye. Just because he appeared in the Avengers doesn`t make him popular. half the people you ask won`t even remember him, and even if they do they wont know him as a superhero but some "spy guy" from The Avengers with the bow.

#91 Posted by Vance Astro (90727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dhor said:

it is true that the superheroes are in one way or the other inspired by other characters from different mediums and times, but it is one thing to be inspired by some character from a story written 100 years ago AND ANOTHER ONE to be "inspired" (steal) a character from your direct competitor. That being said, I see a lot of Marvel characters as ripoffs from DC (that is one of the reasons i like DC better). Hawkeye is indeed a ripoff of GA, in my book anyway.

Thanos and Darkseid

Ant Man and The Atom

Deadpool and Deathstroke

Some of those characters evolved pass their initial creation and became more then their predecessors and brought us some great stories but that can't change the fact that they were not original.

IMO Green Arrow is way more popular then Hawkeye. Just because he appeared in the Avengers doesn`t make him popular. half the people you ask won`t even remember him, and even if they do they wont know him as a superhero but some "spy guy" from The Avengers with the bow.

Green Arrow being more popular than Hawkeye isn't an opinion, it's a fact.I don't see what that has do with whether he's a rip-off or not though.
#92 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

you can argue all u want. its not going to matter what u think. A 30 minutes appearance on Avengers does not make him instantly popular. If so then why dont he have his own comic? Face it, Hawkeye will always be in the minor leagues while GA had so many more mainstrean appearances and have been having his solo book for years since the 80s. Smallville is being aired all over the world, so is batb and jlu. But if u wanna deny the fact then no one is stopping you. p.s. green arrow has been pretty consistent in all his mainstream appearance. Hawkeye look way too different in emh and avengers.

@TheAnnihilator:

I can argue all I want, but I won't. Yes, the fourth highest-grossing movie of all time does make him instantly popular. The mainstream audience will recognize Hawkeye (only in his new costume) before Green Arrow and care about him more. Hawkeye does have his own comic starting in a few months and has one before that ran for quite a while. Hawkeye and Mockingbird isn't quite a solo and didn't last as long though. He's been a mainstay on the Avengers for a while, lead the West-Coast Avengers, the Thunderbolts, and now the Secret Avengers. So as of now he is a prominent character in: The Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avenging Spider-Man, Captain America and Hawkeye, and will have his own ongoing in a couple of months. How many books is Green Arrow in?

#93 Posted by FullmetalChobit (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Are all the characters of The Avengers automatically liked just because it was an amazingly well-loved film.

No, that's ridiculous.

I for one loved The Avengers but personally think that Iron Man is a dick.

#94 Posted by TheAnnihilator (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dhor said:

Thanos and Darkseid

Ant Man and The Atom

Deadpool and Deathstroke

The only one of these I'll give you are Deadpool (which was always the point) and perhaps the Nova Corps.

The Green Arrow isn't as popular. Hawkeye has been seen by far more people all over the world now. And the thing you said about people not remembering him is BS for you to try and prove a point.

#95 Posted by Omegus (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAnnihilator: +1 that.

#96 Posted by LordMaverick (5220 posts) - - Show Bio

hawkeye and greenarrow = totally different

#97 Posted by Enosisik (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Gilgamesh isn't the oldest either and there is no way to know who was.. Most of the mythological heroes and Gods were just renamed and reimaginations of primitive gods before. Hawkeye could deffinitly hold a monthly if the right writer was behind it and Hawk would probably need to use the Ronnan costume more often. Hawkeye has always been popular, not on the top ten of marvel level and maybe not even top 30 but he is still popular with fans. I personally didn't like him at first because he's so arrogant and his authority issues are just kinda annoying bur overall he is a good character. As far as him being a 'ripoff' ... In 9 out of 10 of these topics I see the topic starter has no idea what a 'ripoff' even is. With that said, Green Arrow is without any doubt inspired by Robin Hood but with his own story and I'm sure Marvel wanted to counter that by making their own archer but they are clearly different charecters. There are only a few major teams in Marvel and Dc. Yes there are tons of spin offs and branches and special units but mainly you have Avengers,X-men and Fantastic 4 just as in DC you have JLA,Titans and JSA and even less teams in the 60's. So characters ending up on the other companies counter part team is just mathematically probable..

#98 Posted by jayskee (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

Just because their both archer doesn't make either one rip offs. They are not the same in any way shape or form expect for the fact their both rebellious. Also Hawkeye and Mockingbird is nothing like Green Arrow and Black Canary.

P.S Hawkeye>>>> Green Arrow

#99 Posted by Omegus (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayskee: i am glad i dont have to say these points. both Oliver and Clint have great point and the only things in common are so

small who cares.

#100 Posted by jayskee (1903 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omegus: exactly

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.