Does anyone agree with me that Hawkeye is miscast?

#1 Posted by MrErbac (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeremy Renner? First of all, he looks nothing like Clint Barton, and second, he's too short. Hawkeye and Cap in the comics are about the same size. Chris Evans would've actually made a great Hawkeye, but since he's Cap already, they should've found somebody who resembles him in look and size, and the cocky attitude that Chris displayed in previous movies like F4. Also I hate the generic Shield costume he's wearing. He looks like a generic agent who happens to use a bow and arrow in this movie. Hawkeye is not Hawkeye without the mask and the circus background.

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#3 Posted by Aiden Cross (15561 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait until you see the movie, then judge.

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll judge it when I see him in action. Personally, I didn't want Hawkeye in the movie at all. That goes double for Black Widow.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (12579 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:
I'll judge it when I see him in action. Personally, I didn't want Hawkeye in the movie at all. That goes double for Black Widow.
Why not??

*looks at avatar*

oh, never mind :)
#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32223 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCrowbar said:

Nope.

#7 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Ant-Man's where it's at ;)

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

Ant-Man's where it's at ;)

Thanks god that guy isn't in the movie.

*Goes off to troll somewhere else*

#9 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think his appearance fit, but that was just a superficial analysis that I made, I'll wait for the movie to make a proper judgement.

#10 Posted by HolySerpent (12433 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#11 Posted by Pacperson (307 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta see the movie first, as long as he's a cocky jerk that calls Cap Old man, I'll be happy.

#12 Posted by Greenflashlight (183 posts) - - Show Bio

He is not the best fit agreed but who could pull it off that is the question

#13 Posted by WarMachineMarkV (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

- I have no idea how he will do, but fans of Hawkeye should be glad they got an actor as high profile as Renner, as it means it is far more likely it will be more than a glorified cameo.

#14 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pacperson said:

Gotta see the movie first, as long as he's a cocky jerk that calls Cap Old man, I'll be happy.

I think this is going to be much more like the Ultimate Version. Besides who looks to be older than Cap, lol.

#15 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, he seems fine so far.

#16 Posted by daredevil21134 (10645 posts) - - Show Bio

As a big Hawkeye fan,I say yes.But I night change my mind after the movie

#17 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

This

#18 Posted by SoA (4678 posts) - - Show Bio

ever since they announced the avengers movie i was hoping for renner to play hawkeye, based on seeing him in swat and 28 weeks later , respectfully who would you have instead? seeing how the movies use the ultimate comics look he seems right for the job

#19 Posted by batmanary (798 posts) - - Show Bio

For the ultimate comics feel, he's fine, but then they should use slo-mo and lots of bullets instead of arrows. Or have a moment when he shoots an arrow at Iron Man's tank missile.

#20 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Why couldn't they just do it all like that Ultimate Avengers movie cartoon? Ant-Man and Wasp were in that :(

#21 Posted by MrErbac (115 posts) - - Show Bio

Well for one, Clint in the comics is the same height as Cap, and same kind of look. They cast a guy who looks like he got punched in the face too many times, and he comes up to Chris Evan's chin. Paul Walker would've been a better choice. He's got the look and the attitude. Fast and Furious movies are good examples of that. I'm not waiting to judge when the movie comes out. I've seen him plenty in the trailers, and it makes me mad because it almost ruins everything. I gotta go watch Iron Man, Thor, and Cap being accurately portrayed while trying to ignore the guy who looks like a generic shield agent hawkeye wannabe.

#22 Posted by funkyfiction (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, he's too old. I've always imagined that they would have a Hawkeye who's in his mid to late twenties and constantly angry and likes to call people names, aka the guy that we got to know in the beginning of the Avengers. I liked him, the ultimates version of him seemed so... wrong.

#23 Posted by frozenedge (1122 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope he's fine to me

#24 Posted by handsome_stud (272 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought jeremy renner was the perfect choice, personally

#25 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

idk i kinda agree he doesn't really look like i imagine clint really does

#26 Posted by Omertalvendetta (395 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I think he's the best fit. Better than Damon or Wahlberg. Lastly, I'm SOOOOOOOOO glad he's not wearing that stupid H on his forehead.

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32223 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks fine to me

#28 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7504 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to wait til I see the movie before I judge. But I will say that I can't stand his costume.

#29 Edited by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I think Renner is a great Hawkeye. He pulled it off really well, IMO

#30 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982 said:

Well, I think Renner is a great Hawkeye. He pulled it off really well, IMO

Agreed he was really my favorite character in the movie.

#31 Posted by Omegus (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@tg1982: @Blood1991: He did very well for the role given. I didn't think they were going in the direction of him being a assassin using a bow. I still would have loved if Jensen Ackles played Clint, But Jeremy did do a good job. I found that Hawkeye didn't feel like he had to prove him self he was content on being weaker than everyone else. I hope if they do a second film that he trains with Cap and tries to be as strong and as agile as Cap is. Thats why he is who he is he strives to be the best and prove himself and to the team that he deserves to be there.

#32 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

He was ok. He didn't really "wow" me, but he wasn't bad. I agree, he doesn't look anything like Clint, but that doesn't effect his acting ability.

#33 Posted by daredevil21134 (10645 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he did great.He did alot better than I expected

#34 Posted by Omegus (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: oh yeah don't get me wrong I had zero expectation from him. When he had that interview and called Clint "Clive". I lost my mind. But he did do well.

#35 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Renner pulled off Barton just fine IMHO.

#36 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, I thought he did a very good job... and let's face it, an actor's height and what they look like shouldn't matter, it's how they play the character they are portraying, that's important.

#37 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#38 Posted by daredevil21134 (10645 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omegus said:

@daredevil21134: oh yeah don't get me wrong I had zero expectation from him. When he had that interview and called Clint "Clive". I lost my mind. But he did do well.

lol

#39 Posted by RUKM (279 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeremy Renner is Bad Ass. That is All

#40 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Omegus said:

@tg1982: @Blood1991: He did very well for the role given. I didn't think they were going in the direction of him being a assassin using a bow. I still would have loved if Jensen Ackles played Clint, But Jeremy did do a good job. I found that Hawkeye didn't feel like he had to prove him self he was content on being weaker than everyone else. I hope if they do a second film that he trains with Cap and tries to be as strong and as agile as Cap is. Thats why he is who he is he strives to be the best and prove himself and to the team that he deserves to be there.

Avengers SHATTERED the opening weekend box office record (take that Harry Potter), They'll be making a second and a third and more, (side note does anyone else think that Whedon was the perfect director for the the movie?) I personally would love to see Cap in a more training role, for Hawkeye, and even Tony.

#41 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

Imagine if Justin Hartley played as Hawkeye.Oh the irony...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.