Did you like Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye in Avengers?

• 52 results
Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8865 posts) - - Show Bio

Tell me what you guys think:

#1 Edited by PowerHerc (81468 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I didn't.

He doesn't look the part, imo.

Nice job on the video, though.

#2 Posted by snootchie_bootchies (131 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, i dont know, i thought he was competent enough.

#3 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19908 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

No. I didn't.

He would have if they stuck with the 616 Storyline/costumes though, since you can't really see the face due to the mask (same with The Dark Knight).

#4 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

He did a mediocre job. He had the looks of Ultimate Hawkeye with no personality.

#5 Posted by Nightwing28710 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

He did a mediocre job. He had the looks of Ultimate Hawkeye with no personality.

I get that impression from every movie I've seen Jeremy Renner in.

#6 Edited by Strider92 (16079 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait Hawkeye was in this movie? Oh wait are you referring to that guy who was a brainwashed zombie for 90% of the movie and even when freed from control had almost no lines or character development?

Don't blame Renner blame the writers......

#7 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't watch the Avengers movie for Hawkeye, they could of taken Hawkeye out of the Avengers movie and replaced him with somebody else and I would still be impartial to the choice.

#8 Posted by Agent9149 (2893 posts) - - Show Bio

He was a good choice for what little exposure he had.

#9 Posted by Crackdown (587 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was good. I believe that as time goes on he will fully encompass the role and bring us a great Hawkeye

#10 Posted by TimeLordScience (755 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was the most underused component of the movie. He and Cap didn't get enough development in my opinion.

#11 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeremy Rinner was decent as an actor but the character was underused. Also, his looks didnt really fit Hawkeye. I would have seen somebody like Ethan Hawke or Liam Neeson.

#12 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't have much room to screw up, his character was easily the least relevant of all of the Avengers.

#13 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeremy Renner is a great actor (have we all forgotten The Hurt Locker? What about The Town? He was the best part of that movie!) and I think he will make a great Hawkeye once he's given the chance. Others have said it here before, and they're right: Hawkeye spent most of The Avengers as Loki's automaton, there was never a chance for Renner to show off.

#14 Posted by muhabba (292 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to agree that Renner didn't get the screen time to really bring out Hawkeye, He was possessed most of the time. I can't wait to see Jenner really breath life into Hawkeye. I remember Hawkeye being the one Avenger to argue with Cap in the comics and hope I get to see that in the movies.

#15 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

This.

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hawkeye that Whedon wrote wasn't the Hawkeye I wanted, but I think Renner was a good choice for the part he played.

If that makes any sense.

#17 Posted by The Stegman (23004 posts) - - Show Bio

As others have said, he was too underused to judge. He literally had no personality for the first 2/3rds of the movie, being nothing more than a hypnotized henchman, and when he finally became apart of the team, he was just...there, but did nothing memorable.

#18 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

No. I didn't.

What he said!

#19 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7529 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Whenever I saw him on the screen Hawkeye didn't pop up in my head at all.

#20 Edited by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of the actor and he definitely did not fit the part as Hawkeye nor did his take on Hawkeye's persona. He also looks kind of like a troll-human hybrid.

#21 Posted by Cap10nate (2151 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked him as Hawkeye. He obviously didn't have much of a chance to develop his character, but I think that he fit the part well. I hope that he gets to show more in Cap 2.

#22 Posted by x_29 (2274 posts) - - Show Bio

He did not have much to do in it for me to give a definitive opinion on.

#23 Edited by Sufferthorn (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

....I don't think he's read a comic in his life, and had no idea how to play Hawkeye's character.

But give him a chance. I think he can warm up to the role. They need more screen-time with him NOT being mind-controlled.

#24 Posted by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Wait Hawkeye was in this movie? Oh wait are you referring to that guy who was a brainwashed zombie for 90% of the movie and even when freed from control had almost no lines or character development?

100% agree with you. It left him in the shadows. I actually had my cousin(non reader) ask "Who was the guy with arrows?" when talking about our favorite heroes in the movie.

#25 Posted by CerealKiller (161 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm gonna wait and see how he plays him in the sequel until i really judge anything, but even so i don't think he did a bad job as it is. Maybe more die hard Hawkeye fans see more flaws but for me i was pretty impartial to the character anyway.

#26 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

I liked him as Hawkeye. He obviously didn't have much of a chance to develop his character, but I think that he fit the part well. I hope that he gets to show more in Cap 2.

This.

I think Renner is a fine Hawkeye. In what little we saw of him as Hawkeye both in The Avengers and Thor. He had a couple decent one liners and/or deliveries. I would like to see more of him in Avengers 2.

#27 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Errr...no.

BUUUUUUUUUT, it was pretty much the writers' fault...I didn't really care much for him as a character in that film

#28 Posted by TheCannon (17892 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strafe Prower said:

Pretty much this.

#29 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

He just need a bit more of Bartoniness. Clinteness, whatever. Next movie he will have more exposure

#30 Posted by z1co80 (176 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't hate it, In fact when i saw the film i hadn't started reading comics yet so i didn't have a Hawkeye "personality" to base it off so i kinda liked him but now that i have read right from the start of the Avengers i now would have preferred him to be more like the funny, witty Hawkeye i see in the comics.

He could have been better. Lik was mentioned in the video he wasn't given the chance to be witty either so the second movie will hopefully see him be more like the Hawkeye we know.

Great video though ;)

#31 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. He felt like a stunt guy who did sheakspeare in college and ballet in magnate arts school..lol

#32 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Really not seeing what was wrong with him...

#33 Posted by Jean199999 (544 posts) - - Show Bio

@x_29 said:

He did not have much to do in it for me to give a definitive opinion on.

#34 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7566 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah he was good, never really had a problem with him.

#35 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was ok.

#36 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matezoide2 said:

@Strider92 said:

This.

Yerp!

#37 Posted by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

to be honest i dint even notice him that much i was to busy looking at scarlett johansson

#38 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

Renner did a good job, but the actual character didn't stand out at all to me.

#39 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

I did like him. But he just didn't get much if any character development. It's more of a missed opportunity really. =)

#40 Posted by johnjoe66 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

yes he was bad at beginning but near the end he was pretty good also @The Stegman: he didnt do anything memorable what about shooting a arrow right for lokis head while he was on a flying bike and then xploded the arrow which lead to him being beat up by hulk.

#41 Edited by Oscars94 (2322 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheThe: Liam Neeson is WAY too old to play Hawkeye

#42 Posted by adamrolls (40 posts) - - Show Bio
@HBKTimHBK said:

He didn't have much room to screw up, his character was easily the least relevant of all of the Avengers.

lol Yes thats true hawkeyes is not cap thor or iron ..But i thought he brought the quiet dignity of trained govrment assassin ..he was the best choice..Hurt locker is the story of Hawkeye
#43 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

He didn't have enough screenage time for me.But when he was on the screen he just looked like a S.H.I.E.L.D agent but he wasn't that bad.

#44 Posted by daredevil21134 (10763 posts) - - Show Bio

He wasn't the greatest but he was okay.If they were trying to make him like ultimate Hawkeye that failed pretty bad

#45 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to judge to harshly because we really only saw the role of Hawkeye for about 20 minutes. The rest he was just a brain washed bad guy. However, I felt he was to old for the part, and looked nothing like the character. As far as action went he did fine, but he didn't play Clint, he played S.H.I.E.L.D Archer guy.

#46 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

"S.H.I.E.L.D Archer guy" True.

#47 Posted by Deadpool_AZ (7 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Nailed it! I believe Renner can pull off Hawkeye perfectly if given the opportunity to flex his acting chops! Go watch The Hurt Locker and The Town. He can pull Clint Barton off.

#48 Posted by Demonturtle (455 posts) - - Show Bio

When I first heard about Renner playing Hawkeye I was excited! I thought the character he portraied in the movie Swat was the perfect kind of character for Clint. After seeing the movie, I thought his portrail was stiff and felt forced. I now he wasnt won of the big three in the movie and a secondary character, but they could have done so much better! Hopefully in Avengers 2!?!?!?!

#49 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

He took up space.  
That's about it.  
He seemed to lack any personality, although I don't know how much of that was the writing.

#50 Posted by darktiger (4153 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss said:

Jeremy Renner is a great actor (have we all forgotten The Hurt Locker? What about The Town? He was the best part of that movie!) and I think he will make a great Hawkeye once he's given the chance. Others have said it here before, and they're right: Hawkeye spent most of The Avengers as Loki's automaton, there was never a chance for Renner to show off.

true

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.