Actor Jeremy Renner Discusses Hopes For 'Avengers' Sequel

Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

One of our favorite parts of The Avengers movie was seeing our favorite Marvel archer take the spotlight on the big screen. Yet as good as we thought his performance as Hawkeye was in The Avengers movie, actor Jeremy Renner was left slightly disappointed over the development of his character in the movie. In a recent interview with MTV the actor revealed that he hopes the sequel to The Avengers will provide him the opportunity to explore his character a bit more.

MTV:
We hope we'll see you in another Avengers film…and you were pretty frank when you said that while you enjoyed the film and you felt you served your purpose you weren't necessarily thrilled with what they delivered on the page for your character. Are you hopeful that Joss is gonna have --
Jeremy Renner:
I mean I was confident in what he was going to do and wanted to do, it's just what he was able to do with the first one. And it's like okay, whatever, but now I think there's more opportunity to explore the characters a little bit more I think for everybody which I think is exciting…

When Renner was asked by MTV if he has spoken to Joss about the sequel to The Avengers , the actor responded with a chuckle, citing that it's something he couldn't do for fear of "screwing things all up." Although Renner didn't spend as much time on-screen as his fellow Avengers, his role in the film was an important one. Beyond the significance of his role in the first film, Renner's character also had a lot of setup in the first film that will likely be touched on in the sequel (like whatever happened in Budapest, for example).

What did you think of Renner's role in the first film and did you feel it was significant? Beyond that, would you like to see him return to do the sequel to the first film? Would you like to see his character fleshed out a bit more?

Source: MTV

#1 Posted by thespideyguy (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he was good and I want to see him again.

#2 Posted by Sammo21 (700 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was great. Sort of a small nod to the fact that the first time we ever met Hawkeye in the comics he was a bad guy. We see he has depth, we get hints at a history between he and Natasha, and we also see how incredibly badass Barton is. Now what I want...a movie based on the first arc of Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run.

#3 Posted by FatFriar_16 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

They should make a Black Widow movie (prequel) with Scarlet Jo that focuses on her for most of it and then throws in Hawkeye explaining their relationship, Budapest, and finally working for SHIELD (perhaps that last one could be in the post-credits scene).

#4 Posted by Barkley (276 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought it was great, it wasnt as much as some others....but he had weight....banner only turned to the Hulk twice but nobody thinks it wasnt enough

#5 Edited by cmaprice (817 posts) - - Show Bio

He was certainly given the short end of the stick, along with Loki, who I think devolved a great deal from his treatment in Thor. I was surprised that Black Widow and Hulk were given such great treatment. They were the clear winners of the film, especially after the lackluster previous film appearances. Iron Man and Captain America landed a little flat, but served their respective purposes.

I do love Joss Whedon, and he had a difficult task to perform.

#6 Edited by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I love Hawkeye he's the most likely character to get swept under the rug to make way for new team members.  If they add new team members, and you know they will, either some characters are going to get shafted for screen time (Hawkeye)  or they'll try to juggle too big of a cast and screw it all to hell.

#7 Posted by FearTheLiving (4127 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye is my favorite Avenger so more of him the better am really hoping for a movie more focused around him at the very least him, Black Widow, and Shield.

#8 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

he had cool few scenes thats it

#9 Posted by War Killer (20287 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still hoping for a Hawkeye & Black Widow movie.

#10 Posted by The Cyan Lantern (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Hawkeye + Budapest + Bro quotes = Best Avengers Yet

PS, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY JEREMY RENNER!

#11 Posted by Spideycap (212 posts) - - Show Bio

They really should think about making a Haykeye movie inspired by the new Fraction run. It would definitely allow Renner to develop every aspect of the character and it could even be pretty low budget. Please be listening Marvel! Disney! Anybody!

#12 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2263 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel movies could have this whole SHIELD covert espionage genera. Mixing James Bond and Patriot Games. They could do the SHIELD tv show. a (young) Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD (where a young Fury is an agent of SHIELD in the 60s/70s), Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Spider Woman (super powers plus triple agent espionage thriller). They could have this whole world that characters like Iron Man don't even know about.

#13 Posted by sora_thekey (8184 posts) - - Show Bio

I need a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie set in Budapest!!!

#14 Posted by mk111 (3139 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Hawkeye, so more of him would be a good thing.

#15 Posted by thiagofonseca (42 posts) - - Show Bio

The Budapest line is just a line to give the characters some background. By now, it's the only background they have, so it could ruin their story if it were to be shown. Let's each one imagine what happened in Budapest ("You and I remember Budapest very differently") and keep it intact as one of the various adventures they both had working for Shield. So i guess we'd better see what happened/happens in Wakanda, Latveria or else.

#16 Posted by Aeroman (495 posts) - - Show Bio

come on marvel give hawkeye some more screen time

#17 Posted by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

"I think" What an intelligent person............... His portrayal was fine and some of his action was really cool, but had it been a different character and actor it would not have mattered.

#18 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7551 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see him play more as Hawkeye since most of the first one he was under Loki's control

#19 Edited by queenfrost_ (2490 posts) - - Show Bio

He was the weakest of the bunch. Don't rate him.

(Lmao yas even cobie w/ her small screen time out-did him)

#20 Posted by bunkerbuster05 (318 posts) - - Show Bio

If Hawkeye isn't HAWKGUY in Avengers 2, he might as well not even be in it. Fraction's Hawkeye run is KILLING IT!

#21 Posted by Man of Lengend (997 posts) - - Show Bio

Want more hawkeye .. gotta have more hawkeye...

#22 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never liked Hawkeye, but Mr.Renner (Btw Happy B-Day Jeremy!) came and made him cool! HECK YES I want more of him in the sequel. More of him, less of Johansson

#23 Posted by GothamRed (2553 posts) - - Show Bio

More Hawkeye, more fun!!!!! That's my motto.

#24 Posted by Trevel8182 (754 posts) - - Show Bio

They should call him Hawkguy!

#25 Edited by Crackdown (610 posts) - - Show Bio

He should really have a fleshed out role in another Marvel film before Avengers 2. Black Widow had a large part in Iron Man 2, but other than the comic Fury's Big Week, we really haven't had the chance to flesh him out. I would much prefer to see him in things other than just the team up filims

#26 Posted by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish he would get a spin off or show up in Captain America 2 or Thor 2!

#27 Posted by Hawkeyefan (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a film director from Budapest and my favourite comic character is Hawkeye. I'm almost sure Marvel won't shoot an Avenger or a Hawkeye movie here. If I'm wrong, I hope they won't portray us Hungarians as communist martians or something like that as they did in the West Coast Avengers back in the '80s (which is one of my favourite ongoing series of all time anyway...)! That was ridiculous.

I'm also sure that no other Hawkeye movie will be made soon. Even Fraction's deficationed Hawkeye series is only the 66th in the comic book sales.

Renner wasn't bad anyway. But the original Clint Barton is not like the one in the movie. He is a charming, hot blooded loudspeaker with much burden of proof. Renner portrayed more the Ultimate version of Hawkeye who for I don't care. Someone like Sean William Scott could bring him alive. Those who really like Hawkeye know what I'm talking about.

Bring back the real 616 Clint with his classic attitude and costume!

#28 Posted by Xangel (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been saying since that film came out; Hawkeye/Black Widow prequel!

#29 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, he's my least favorite member of the Avengers, and I wouldn't care that much if he weren't in Avengers 2.

(Renner's performance was great.)

#30 Posted by BoyWander (319 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Hawkeye, you are the Aquaman of the Marvel Universe. I think if done right he could have his own movie. But I'd rather see the more super people getting more films.

#31 Posted by Chibi-Iroh (381 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd really love to see more Hawkeye and Widow teamwork in the Avengers sequel. Actually I still want to see a Widow and Hawkeye team movie set right around the time of Budapest.

#32 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to say it but as much as I think it would be wonderful to have his character better explored, I just don't its the right way to go considering what the magnitude of the second movie will cover. Considering how he was a second tier character to the story at best for the first movie, I'll just have to say no.

#33 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

2 words.

Archery Lessons.

#34 Posted by DougCL (45 posts) - - Show Bio

he really needs a solo picture.

#35 Posted by Mildor (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Renner Hawkeye wasnt bad but also it wasnt even good either, In fact for me it was among the top 1 flaw , consider it as the weaklist link of the chain in Avengers movie. Frankly without disrespecting Renner i think he had a barely really barely idea of how emulate Clint Barton personality ,he was kinda lost in his performance. Although i havebt think whou could be a batter actor for Hawkeye, I cant stop to think that for the first and most probably last time,Ryan Reynolds could have fit the role, Ryan took bad decisions in accepting Hal Jordan simply because his whole persona do3snt help him achieve to green lantern fans and casual ones if they read the comic believe him, and also his was not a good Deadpool either and i hope they dont choose him to portrrait Deadpool again.

Human Torch, Iceman, Hawkeye, Flash, all this character share a base personality that at some point differ from each other, in some degree Spiderman too share this category now mix all this characters persnalities with insanity and you get Deadpool.

#36 Posted by One_Eye (783 posts) - - Show Bio

If he's not in the sequel then I'll settle for a t.v. series casting Renner in the role of Hawkeye. There was talk of a Shield series after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.