Follow

Hawkeye & Mockingbird

Volume »

Entering the Heroic Age are Hawkeye & Mockingbird.

Review: Hawkeye & Mockingbird #4

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman

No Caption Provided
    Hawkeye, Mockingbird and Dominic Fortune finally turn the tables of Crossfire and the Phantom Rider, sending them fleeing to Spirit Peak, Nevada - - a site that brings up some horrible memories for everybody. 

The Good   

Part of the fun of reading titles in a shared universe is that you get to see inversions of even the subtlest genre tropes. In this case, I got special enjoyment out of Mockingbird shoving the telepathic conversation back down the Phantom Rider's throat (or, more accurately, back into her mind) as well as the "love birds" using their pal Hank Pym's sub-space network to give these bad guys the "teleportationally runaround." Actually, after such an intense cliffhanger last issue, it was really satisfying to see the good guys thwarting the bad guys so soundly, here. I might not be rooting for Dominic Fortune to get the girl, but I was definitely cheering him on when he was faking Hawkeye out and putting Crossfire's goons down.

The Bad   

This issue seemed a little talkier than the previous ones have been. I love dialog, but there were a lot more balloons that seemed like they were liable to burst, as opposed to previous issues which had, I feel, a better balance. I suppose we're getting to the end of the arc and they need to wrap things up a little more deliberately, but I think some spots could've been a little more concise.  

The Verdict - 4/5   

As I've been saying for every issue of this title, Hawkeye & Mockingbird is probably the best book to come out of the Heroic Age. It's certainly the one that best captures the spirit of clearer superhero fun where "the good guys are the goods guys, and the bad guys are the bad guys again." McCann and the Lopez's are definitely talents that everybody should take note of.     
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

I maybe slow, but I just got it! 

HAWK-eye

Mocking-BIRD. 

They're Love BIRDS!  

Awww... how cute is that?

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Amegashita

Hmm, why couldn't Green Arrow and Black Canary be this good?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jordanstine
    @Amegashita said:
    "  Hmm, why couldn't Green Arrow and Black Canary be this good? "

Well... one is a bird. 

The other one is just a green arrow.   

Nothing really in common.  Ha!  J/k.   

[ insert winkie emoticon with tongue ]
    Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gennadius

Everyone seems to like this but I dont really like it :( 
    Imho superheroes/superspy's/relations/ghosts and spirits dont really mix
    sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sparty-dbq

The one and only problem I have with this series is the supporting cast aside from Fortune.  They're all terribly generic in both name and character.  Thankfully, they're all used sparingly as to not distract from Clint and Bobbi's interactions.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jordanstine
    @Gennadius said:
    "Everyone seems to like this but I dont really like it :( Imho superheroes/superspy's/relations/ghosts and spirits dont really mix "

Hey... that's practically every Batman book! 

Especially with special guests Ra's Al Gul and/or Deadman.
    Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Amegashita
    @Jordanstine:  Pssh, Green Arrow and Black Canary are obviously made for each other, literally.  I blame Judd Winick.
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pizawle

Great book thus far. The spirit as you said is just pure superhero fun in the best possible way.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Eyz
    @Amegashita said:
    " @Jordanstine:  Pssh, Green Arrow and Black Canary are obviously made for each other, literally.  I blame Judd Winick. "
    I still hope for another chance for Green Arrow & Black Canary!
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Sobe Cin

The ending was good is this issue, but overall I've been losing interest in it. The first issue captured my attention real quick, introducing it into the middle of a chase scene. But ever since it seems like a lot of standing around and yapping. Never been a fan Dominic Fortune- he's only dropping farther down the scale of likeable with each issue. Hawkeye is fun, but he either needs to be with the Avengers or in a more solo title. Hell I'd be happiest if was running the Thunderbolts again, they need he is wit a lot more than Luke Cage.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.